Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: TJ Taylor  (Read 7838 times)

Canadian Dimes

• All American
TJ Taylor
« on: August 01, 2011, 11:18:16 AM »
With all the focus on recruiting and whom we should recruit, it seems much is lost on the topic of TJ Taylor.

His senior year in HS he was recruited by all the top schools and had an ESPN ranking of 94 and 78th in the country.  ESPN spoke pretty darn highly of both his 1G and 2G skills along with his athleticism, size, and strength.  The only recruit I recall higher than a 94 that Buzz has signed has been Vander at 95. 

Seems Taylor is not getting a whole lot of respect on these boards for the caliber of talent that he will bring to MU.  It maybe the fact that he has been out of the game for a year and will spend next year at a JUCO, but he stnads to potentially be a big big timeplayer for MU in the years to come.  Much more highly rated than, MAyo, Anderson, Ferguson, Wilsonor any of the other incoming players that seem to get so much attention.

Nukem2

• All American
Re: TJ Taylor
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 11:56:23 AM »
With all the focus on recruiting and whom we should recruit, it seems much is lost on the topic of TJ Taylor.

His senior year in HS he was recruited by all the top schools and had an ESPN ranking of 94 and 78th in the country.  ESPN spoke pretty darn highly of both his 1G and 2G skills along with his athleticism, size, and strength.  The only recruit I recall higher than a 94 that Buzz has signed has been Vander at 95. 

Seems Taylor is not getting a whole lot of respect on these boards for the caliber of talent that he will bring to MU.  It maybe the fact that he has been out of the game for a year and will spend next year at a JUCO, but he stnads to potentially be a big big timeplayer for MU in the years to come.  Much more highly rated than, MAyo, Anderson, Ferguson, Wilsonor any of the other incoming players that seem to get so much attention.

ESPN is only one rating service.  The composite RSCI is far better gauge.  Current MU guys in the RSCI Top 100 are Cadougan, Jamil Wilson, Blue, Jones and Anderson ( as well as ex-MUers Erci willaims and JMay ).  TJ did not make the RSCI.  Not to say he won't be very good.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 01:15:38 PM »
On this subject, I know this was talked about when he originally committed to Marquette, but will he have 2 or 3 years of eligibility at Marquette?  And he will be eligible to play in the 2012-2013 season right away, correct?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 01:21:32 PM »
On this subject, I know this was talked about when he originally committed to Marquette, but will he have 2 or 3 years of eligibility at Marquette?  And he will be eligible to play in the 2012-2013 season right away, correct?

i believe 3 years of elig...and he can play in 2012-2013.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 02:28:50 PM »

Thanks.  That's what I thought but wasn't positive.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 02:37:47 PM »

Correct on the 3 years, and he'll be playing in 2011-12 at Paris Junior College in Texas, so if you want a JUCO to follow for next year, that's the one.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 02:57:48 PM »
Correct on the 3 years, and he'll be playing in 2011-12 at Paris Junior College in Texas, so if you want a JUCO to follow for next year, that's the one.

I may have to go watch him in person - that's only about 100 miles from where I live...he played only about 50 miles up the freeway from me in high school..

From all accounts the kid has a great basketball body/good character...etc
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 06:50:47 PM »
He is basically doing the same thing Kinsella did. He was hurt his freshmen year and therefore used the redshirt year. He had four years of eligiblity remaining , if he stayed at Oklahoma. Since he is transferring out, he would have to sit out a year if he went directly to MU. By going to junior college he gets to play and and still have three years left at MU. The question I have is what is more valuable to the player, playing a year at junior college or practicing a year with MU? Given that MU has an open scholarship and could use more practice players, I wonder if Buzz would consider bringing in Taylor right away? However, I can underatand a player not wanting to sit out two straight years. It also might pissed off junior college coaches, if they think Buzz is stealing players from under their noses.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011, 06:55:43 PM »
He is basically doing the same thing Kinsella did. He was hurt his freshmen year and therefore used the redshirt year. He had four years of eligiblity remaining , if he stayed at Oklahoma. Since he is transferring out, he would have to sit out a year if he went directly to MU. By going to junior college he gets to play and and still have three years left at MU. The question I have is what is more valuable to the player, playing a year at junior college or practicing a year with MU? Given that MU has an open scholarship and could use more practice players, I wonder if Buzz would consider bringing in Taylor right away? However, I can underatand a player not wanting to sit out two straight years. It also might pissed off junior college coaches, if they think Buzz is stealing players from under their noses.

I think had we known E-Will would transfer and we'd have two scholarships sitting unfilled right now, Buzz might have encouraged Taylor to come here directly. But when he enrolled at Paris back in January, there was no way for us to know that. Hopefully they have a good strength training program there and the year of being able to play does him well. It clearly worked for guys like Butler and DJO, neither of whom came in as highly rated as Taylor does :)

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2011, 07:45:39 PM »
Love the TJ Taylor signing......probably the most excited about this kid of all the incoming guys. 

We needed another 3 shooter once DJO is gone.   

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2011, 07:52:19 PM »
I think had we known E-Will would transfer and we'd have two scholarships sitting unfilled right now, Buzz might have encouraged Taylor to come here directly. But when he enrolled at Paris back in January, there was no way for us to know that. Hopefully they have a good strength training program there and the year of being able to play does him well. It clearly worked for guys like Butler and DJO, neither of whom came in as highly rated as Taylor does :)

Buzz knew E-Will was xfering part way through 2nd semester.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2011, 08:49:35 PM »

His senior year in HS he was recruited by all the top schools and had an ESPN ranking of 94 and 78th in the country.  ESPN spoke pretty darn highly of both his 1G and 2G skills along with his athleticism, size, and strength.  The only recruit I recall higher than a 94 that Buzz has signed has been Vander at 95.  Seems Taylor is not getting a whole lot of respect on these boards for the caliber of talent that he will bring to MU.  It maybe the fact that he has been out of the game for a year and will spend next year at a JUCO, but he stnads to potentially be a big big timeplayer for MU in the years to come.  Much more highly rated than, MAyo, Anderson, Ferguson, Wilsonor any of the other incoming players that seem to get so much attention.

Isn't a grade/score of 94 better than a grade/score of 95??  By 'higher' do you mean a lower #?

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2011, 09:04:15 PM »
Isn't a grade/score of 94 better than a grade/score of 95??  By 'higher' do you mean a lower #?

No, with ESPN it is a grading system, not a ranking. 

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2011, 09:24:50 PM »

By that time, Taylor had already left OU and went to Paris. The decision to attend Paris JC was made by mid-December, well before anyone knew Williams was transferring.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2011, 01:12:26 AM »
Playingone year at JUCO is worth more IMO than a year at MU.

That said, I wonder how Wade would've done at a JUCO, or if he would have had less of an impact if he attended a JUCO instead?
SS Marquette

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2011, 07:40:12 AM »
Wade was so athletic and talented he was going to have a big impact if he went anywhere except in the seminary.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2011, 07:54:43 AM »
Playingone year at JUCO is worth more IMO than a year at MU.

I think it would have been better to get into MU's strength and conditioning program, playing everyday in practice against better competition, and learning what Buzz is about, than playing at a JUCO.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2011, 08:03:28 AM »

I think it would have been better to get into MU's strength and conditioning program, playing everyday in practice against better competition, and learning what Buzz is about, than playing at a JUCO.

I agree with this.

But TJ already made a commitment to the coaches and players at JUCO, probably best to keep to it.

He's still working on his game, will be interesting to see how much Jamil has developed as a gauge. 

kmwtrucks

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2011, 09:01:46 AM »
I think in most cases I would rather they spend a year at MU, But in TJ's case after already redshirting 1  year you need to see real game action not just scrimmage and practice.  I'm fine with him playing at the Juco.  He will be one of the Top 5 FR Juco's in the country so he is going to have the ball in his hands allot and be the focus of there offense, Plus with him commiting early (for a Juco) he is going to get all his classes in order, and get a good S and C program setup by MU and will probably be at MU right away in the summer which is generally not the case for JUCO's. 

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2011, 11:15:35 AM »
I find that interesting. Was Buzz letting him start the first & second halves an attempt to get him to change his mind?

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2011, 11:20:36 AM »
I find that interesting. Was Buzz letting him start the first & second halves an attempt to get him to change his mind?
I may be completely wrong, but based on some other posts lately, you may need to read between the lines a little more on this one.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2011, 11:23:52 AM »

Yeah, he did the same for Smith and Singleton.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2011, 11:25:00 AM »
Depending on what the plan is for TJ, this could provide him with the opportunity to play PG on a regular basis and focus on that position for a year.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2011, 01:40:37 PM »

Yeah, he did the same for Smith and Singleton.
Singelton?

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2011, 01:47:52 PM »
Singelton?

Did you really need teal?