Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Victory!  (Read 5485 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: Victory!
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2011, 05:01:32 PM »
Pretty simple...costs.  There are only so many refs and a lot of games.  Burr only works Big East and Big Ten games.  With 16 teams in the conference and 18 games each, that's a ton of games that need 3 refs. 

Besides, if a ref is considered impartial, which by definition a ref is supposed to be, it shouldn't matter if a ref does 20 straight games for a team.  He's supposed to make calls based on whether something is a foul or not a foul, not look at what name is on the uniform or who is coaching first to decide how impartial he will be that game.

Sorry, completely and totally inappropriate in a betting world just from an appearance sake.  No way should this EVER be allowed to happen--even under this assumption of objectivity.  Statistical analyses show refs are different in their style and the number of calls they make. These are the tools that supervisors use and recognize to combat the human factor to reduce bias but for a team to face an individual's biases three games in a row is neither fair nor balanced.  To have refs scheduled for 2 or 3 straight game for the same team introduces a non-objective bias (recency of MU's players and style of play, a coach or ref po'ed from a missed call that determines the previous game's outcome, a ref's anticipation).

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2011, 05:06:12 PM »

Besides, if a ref is considered impartial, which by definition a ref is supposed to be, it shouldn't matter if a ref does 20 straight games for a team.  He's supposed to make calls based on whether something is a foul or not a foul, not look at what name is on the uniform or who is coaching first to decide how impartial he will be that game.

In a perfect world, perhaps.  But refs are like anyone else:  they start to develop likes/dislikes etc., and by  the same ref facing the same teams over and over, its hard for a player to shake such a bias.

The best thing I heard at the game today:  As Burr ran by the guy sitting next to me yelled "just retire!"
Ludum habemus.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2011, 05:26:24 PM »
Sorry, completely and totally inappropriate in a betting world just from an appearance sake.  No way should this EVER be allowed to happen--even under this assumption of objectivity.  Statistical analyses show refs are different in their style and the number of calls they make. These are the tools that supervisors use and recognize to combat the human factor to reduce bias but for a team to face an individual's biases three games in a row is neither fair nor balanced.  To have refs scheduled for 2 or 3 straight game for the same team introduces a non-objective bias (recency of MU's players and style of play, a coach or ref po'ed from a missed call that determines the previous game's outcome, a ref's anticipation).

In a perfect world, I'd agree with you.  With the size of the conference, the number of games played, the limits on refs in terms of schedules and availability, not sure that's always going to be possible.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2011, 07:22:51 PM »
No beef with today's officiating.

rugbydrummer

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2011, 11:47:05 PM »
See my problem is i just can't tell Jim Burr & Tim Higgins apart from my eagles' nest in the BC.... dang it.  But i *did* definitely recognize him as one of the vandy refs, though!

Stellar game, loved every minute, i hope somebody heard me yell at Kilicli that he had a girl's name (Deniz/Denise) during his foul shots.  Loved yelling at Flowers when he fouled out.  Loved the Trinity Irish dancers @ halftime (Best entertainment yet??). Love Crowder's heart/effort/toughness (Diving on ground for loose balls, the deflection/steal, 3pointers rebounds, just epic!).  Loved DJO showing up, Joey Fulce.  Only sad about many many lay-ins we just can't capitalize on, and of course the perennially shaking FT shooting....

Also LOVED that there were bells in the band today (What up Band Alumni Day) as i have missed them greatly so far this season.  (they look like mini metal xylophones in case you're wondering).
OOh, speaking of band, don't know if anyone else noticed (i kinda hadn't initially either myself), but i'm pretty pissed the drumline can't play cadences before foul shots any more :( "And1s" are just not the w/o "Score" for us and "You Got Lucky" for the opponents.  ::sigh::

Anyway, finally, this is BEAST basketball, and I am sure glad we are back in session!  Also, I hope TCU is taking notes this season, they better be ready to ante up for the bball aspect of the conference!!