[May 02, 2024, 08:58:35 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[May 02, 2024, 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[May 02, 2024, 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Lets assume DJ is gone, who is our starting pt guard next year?  (Read 6575 times)

mviale

• All American
acker? cubillion? matthews?
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

bilsu

• All American
Re: Lets assume DJ is gone, who is our starting pt guard next year?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 01:29:31 PM »
Matthews for three reasons:
1. Size advantage over Acker.
2. Matthews future in the pros is not at small forward. Crean will do what he can to get Matthews to the pros.
3. Allows both Hayward and Fitz to start.

While Aker is better at point than Matthews, the team of Barro, Matthews, McNeal, Fitz and Hayward is better than a team of Barro, Matthews, McNeal, Aker and either Fitz or Hayward.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 01:30:44 PM »
The games I watched, Matthews had a hard time controlling the rock against guys his own size let alone a much more aggresive trap or press.

mufan924

• Starter
  • we are marquette
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 01:33:05 PM »
CUBILLAN ! actually i do not know much about acker...i completely forgot about fitz, i thought the starting 5 would be McNeal, Matthews, Cubillan, Barro, and Hayward. I am not sure Matthews has the ballhandling skills and speed necessary to bring up the ball and break presses.
"it's over...it's been over" -George Carlin

Harrison

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 01:38:49 PM »
Matthews!?!?!  Are you serious!?!?!?  Do you not remeber 2004 when Chapman was our point guard?  I love Wesley but he is not a particularly good ball handler and we will get pressed and killed with Wes at point.  Our point would be Acker or Cubes, with a little Jerel.  Either way a significant significant downturn at that position taking MU from a top 15 team to a bubble team if DJ does not return.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 01:42:17 PM »
Matthews!?!?!  Are you serious!?!?!?  Do you not remeber 2004 when Chapman was our point guard?  I love Wesley but he is not a particularly good ball handler and we will get pressed and killed with Wes at point.  Our point would be Acker or Cubes, with a little Jerel.  Either way a significant significant downturn at that position taking MU from a top 15 team to a bubble team if DJ does not return.

Agreed.  Wesley's handle is too loose to be a PG.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 01:47:35 PM »
Jerel.   He will have more options with Wes, Lazar, and Fitz to shoot the rock, it will give Wes time at the 2, and leave Daveed and Mo to provide energy off of the bench.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 01:47:59 PM »
2. Matthews future in the pros is not at small forward. Crean will do what he can to get Matthews to the pros.

Are you joking? Crean's job is to win games at Marquette, not humor the pipe dreams of kids fantasizing about playing in the NBA. Matthews can bring the ball up without any pressure on him -- as he did a lot this year -- but he is not a full-time point guard. Acker would have to be the point guard. Even Fitzgerald is a better ball handler than Matthews, though Wes is a better passer.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 02:06:14 PM »
You guys are nuts if you think the prime-time (28-32 minutes per game) PG is anyone other than Acker. That's his job. That's his role. He was the freshman of the year in the MAC as a point guard and that's what he'll be at MU. He shouldn't be pressed to shoot as much at MU as he did at Ball State. His shooting percentage wasn't that great either, then again, neither was James'.

McNeal is not a PG. He's a slashing two. He can spell you for a few minutes a game at the PG, same w/Cubillion (if you are forced). Wes can't handle the rock well enough to handle pressure. He dribbles too high as well. That's not to say Wes and Jerel and Cubillion are bad players. But they aren't true point guards.

I see Acker as the starting PG. Then, throw in ten minutes per game to Jerel and Cubillion and there's your 2007/2008 PG rotation.

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2007, 02:12:40 PM »
Acker may get it early on because he's been a PG all his life and would "fit" the role moreso then Coobey or anyone else. On top of that, Coobey is a great spot guy at the 1 but his skill is the set shot and this is utilized better playing off the ball.

If it's PG by committee it will be better then '04 because that was PG by desperation.

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2007, 02:14:03 PM »
Two words....Craig Aamot

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2007, 02:35:34 PM »
Here's Acker's bio in last season's media guide. Notice, that he was the MVP of his high school team...the same team that included Jerel McNeal.

I think PG-by-committee will be Crean's substitution pattern, it's Acker's job to lose. Unless he absolutely stinks up the joint, ladies and gentlemen, meet your starting 2007/2008 point guard.

Size: 5'8"  165 lbs (that's the one thing that concerns me...but it's not like you can't be successful in D-1 as an undersized PG. See C.Henry, T.Diener, and Hutch from MU alone)

2005-06 NOTES:
Acker averaged 9.2 points, 4.6 assists and 2.4 rebounds in 31.7 minutes and started 25 of 28 games as a freshman at Ball State ...was recognized for his outstanding play by being named to the Mid-
American Conference all-freshman team as well as being named the league's rookie of the year ... will sit out 2006-07 season per NCAA transfer rules.

HIGH SCHOOL NOTES:
A high school teammate of current Golden Eagles guard Jerel McNeal ... a four-year letterwinner for Tom Cappel at nationally recognized Hillcrest High School ... averaged 18 points, eight assists and nearly four steals a game in leading Hillcrest to its 17th straight conference championship in 2004 ... was named all-conference, all-area and selected as the team's most valuable player.

PERSONAL:
Born June 25, 1987…son of Maurice Sr. and Renee Acker…has two sisters – Aliah and Shaneya…majors incommunication studies.

MarquetteDano

• All American
Gotta agree with Niv
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2007, 02:58:19 PM »
Without DJ, the point guard spot is Acker's to lose.  I think the lineup would be Acker, McNeal, Matthews, Fitz, and Barro.  I pick Fitz over Hayward due to outside shooting... could change by the end of the year.  I think McNeal, Matthews, and Cubillan could spell Acker for stretches, but unless Acker sucks, he will be our PG without DJ.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2007, 03:05:06 PM »
In order:

Acker
Cubillan
McNeal
Christopherson
SS Marquette

Phi Iota Gamma 84

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2007, 03:10:01 PM »
I think Fitz is a good candidate Fitz, Wes, Jerel, Oooooz, and Hayward/Mbakwe??

Then Acker Cubillan off the bench provides a completely different style.
There is nothing less productive than doing more efficiently that which should not be done at all-Peter Drucker

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2007, 03:38:07 PM »
I expect them to give Cube's a lot of time during the non-conf schedule at PG to get comfortable. Maybe even a little to Jerel and Wes too. At the end of the day, however, I think Fitz is gonna be a match-up starter, and most cases him, Cube's and Mbakwe are your 6th, 7th and 8th guys off the bench.

Plus, if you bring Fitz off the bench, that will help delay his first foul call of the game until the 4th or 5th minute into the game. If he were to start, he usually has two or three fouls already by that time.

(and like always....ALL of this talk is moot if DJ comes back)

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2007, 04:32:39 PM »
and he will be back.  So Aamot is out.  As is Anthony Candelino.

WashDCWarrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2007, 05:13:51 PM »
Here's the depth chart as I see it w/o James (3rd stringers not included):

1: Acker, Cubillan
2: McNeal, Christopherson
3: Matthews
4: Fitz, Hayward
5: Barro, Mbakwe

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2007, 06:46:04 PM »
Here's the depth chart as I see it w/o James (3rd stringers not included):

1: Acker, Cubillan
2: McNeal, Christopherson
3: Matthews
4: Fitz, Hayward
5: Barro, Mbakwe

I'd agree with that projection, though I feel Fitz at the 3 is a better fit for his play than the 4. Hayward would be a strong backup at the 4 with Mbakwe as a third backup.

I think Christopherson will probably prove to be a capable back-up at point because he handled the rock a lot at Aquinas. But as a Frosh in the BE, it's a daunting task to be trusted with the ball.
SS Marquette

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2007, 07:07:44 PM »
Why are you all convinced that DJ will NOT be back-----I mean his chances of being drafted appear to be less tha 50-50----only someone who was extremely upset with his current situation would continue in the draft under those circumstances-----does anyone here believe that to be the case?

ozmetal71

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2007, 07:30:54 PM »
Clearly that is the latest crackpot theory that you are spewing all over the board.

No one believes that to be the case.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2007, 08:15:32 PM »
Up until conference Crean had Matthews playing the point last year. I have no doubt the Acker is a better point guard. However, I see him as too small to be a starting point guard in the Big East. He is perfect for a backup point guard as he can come in and provide a real spark. Matthews is a better defender and rebounder. MU does not have a great rebounder and therefore depends on its guards to rebound. Matthews and McNeal would should be worth 10 rebounds a game at the guard spot. I think Matthews making the pros is very important to the MU program, as I see it have a detrimental effect on in state recruiting if he does not make it. Cubillan handes the ball well, but he is not a true point guard. Remember the five best players do not necessarily make the best team. I believe Fitz and Hayward make the best team. Mbake(sp) backs up Barro.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2007, 09:25:43 PM »
If DJ leaves, the following two things will occur:

1. Acker will be the starting PG and be damn good at it and
2. Matthews will elevate to a whole another level and pick up a lot more of the scoring.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2007, 09:28:33 PM »
What does Matthews making the pros mean to anything MU, especially this conversation?

Remember about Acker, he started 28 games as a true freshman. Yeah, it was the MAC, but still. That counts for something. Also, he practiced w/the team all year last year, going up against James everyday.

Also, MU will have Mbakwe in there to make up for rebounding next year. Also, I'm being naively optimistic in believing that Burke's strengthening will continue and he'll prove to be a sufficient minute/rebounder eater. He won't be 6-8th off the bench, but he should see more minutes.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2007, 09:29:19 PM »
I do think that Matthews will step up huge next year. I just don't see his future running the point.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2007, 12:46:21 AM »
I love Matthews; attitude, smarts, speed,...but he has hands of cement and makes a terrible pt guard.  He's a 3. 

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2007, 02:33:58 AM »
What does Matthews making the pros mean to anything MU, especially this conversation?

I question that too.

I can see part of bilsu's logic: MU not turning in-grown talent into NBA talent CAN be a chip used by the Badger recruiters. But it really doesn't matter...

Here is the list of Wisconsin Gatorade POYs. See how many NBA players from UW you can find on this list:

Tim Jarmusz     2006-07     Boys Basketball     F     Oshkosh     WI
Jerry Smith    2005-06    Boys Basketball    Guard    Wauwatosa    WI
Wesley Matthews    2004-05    Boys Basketball    Guard    Madison    WI
Michael Flowers    2003-04    Boys Basketball    PG    Madison    WI
Brian Butch    2002-03    Boys Basketball    Fwd/Guard    Appleton    WI
Steve Novak    2001-02    Boys Basketball    Fwd    Brown Deer    WI
Devin Harris    2000-01    Boys Basketball    G    Wauwatosa    WI
Scott Merritt    1999-00    Boys Basketball    F    Wauwatosa    WI
Marshall Williams    1998-99    Boys Basketball    G    Milwaukee    WI
Drew Diener    1997-98    Boys Basketball    G    Fond du Lac    WI
Mike Kelley    1996-97    Boys Basketball    G    Milwaukee    WI
Sanjay Adell    1995-96    Boys Basketball    G/F    Milwaukee    WI
Sam Okey    1994-95    Boys Basketball    F    Cassville    WI
Dayon Ninkovic    1993-94    Boys Basketball    F    Milwaukee    WI
Anthony Pieper    1992-93    Boys Basketball    G    Wausaukee    WI
Brian Currie    1991-92    Boys Basketball    F    Milwaukee    WI
Calvin Rayford    1990-91    Boys Basketball    G    Milwaukee    WI
Damon Key    1989-90    Boys Basketball    F    Milwaukee    WI
Larry Hisle Jr.    1988-89    Boys Basketball    G/F    Mequon    WI
Keith Stewart    1987-88    Boys Basketball    G    Milwaukee    WI
Jay Schell    1986-87    Boys Basketball    G/F    Stevens Point    WI
Kurt Portmann    1985-86    Boys Basketball    C    Sheboygan    WI

MY count has Wisconsin ONE, Marquette ONE. And Scotty Merritt - you can say - ALMOST made an NBA roster but played in the NBDL.

Is developing local (or any) talent into NBA talent important to a recruit? Of course. But opportunity, exposure, and success are what really get the recruits to attend your school.
SS Marquette

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2007, 07:14:37 AM »
Accker would be adequate as a BE PG offensively----but defensively at only 5'6" (or whatever) people will be able to shoot over him----then too, would he be replacing DJ's rebounding?

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2007, 10:25:12 AM »
Acker

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2007, 10:44:36 AM »
Accker would be adequate as a BE PG offensively----but defensively at only 5'6" (or whatever) people will be able to shoot over him----then too, would he be replacing DJ's rebounding?

Murf:
That's an excellent point.  We all would probably generally agree that Cube and Acker will fill the offensive void left by DJ but I, for one, had forgotten that part of DJ's game that will sorely be missed, his rebounding.  For 5'11" he sure could board.