collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: alleged sexual assault investigation of 4 on 1 by public saftey  (Read 103369 times)

MUDayz

• Walk-On
Re: alleged sexual assault investigation of 4 on 1 by public saftey
« Reply #275 on: March 30, 2011, 01:07:59 PM »
It is amazing how many students are ready to put the players down as guilty already. Probably the same kids that complain that we should spend less on the basketball program, and opt to study for a test worth 5 percent of their grade over going to a basketball game

Agreed on the first point "It is amazing how many students are ready to put the players down as guilty already"...

But seriously on this next point!? "Probably the same kids that complain that we should spend less on the basketball program, and opt to study for a test worth 5 percent of their grade over going to a basketball game"  You do realize the students go to college for the education and NOT the basketball team, right? 

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #276 on: March 30, 2011, 01:10:32 PM »
I also feel, based on who I've talked to regarding this, that more of the girls are finding these players guilty than guys are. Most guys are taking a wait and see position, and want to see the legal process go through before passing judgement. I have a friend who lives in Humphrey, and she feels unsafe living there now. It's unfortunate that people are jumping to conclusions so quickly, but as houwarrior said, the assumption of guilt tends to be already there for the accused in society today.

The girls I have talked to don't doubt something happened, but sadly, there is also a sense of, why would you go to Humphrey to hang with the hoops guys if you weren't expecting something to happen? I DON'T mean assault, but hooking up. Apparently the guys have a pretty lousy reputation on campus, such that the girls I talked to said there's no way they would go there.  I'm sure this is not unique to MU by any chance, but still disappointing to hear. That said, being big-time players is a different thing than commiting a crime, but obviously the line can be blurry and the guys involved got themselves in a situation that is blowing up on them.  

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #277 on: March 30, 2011, 01:11:11 PM »
Neither of your first two statements mentioned 6 months.  The time is a reasonable thing to play into a trial both for motivation and evidence.  But I didn't see the post that said she waited 6 months.  I thought she reported it and it had been under investigation.  

Yes, my second post did mention six months. I guess in my first post I mistakenly assumed people were aware of the timeline.

The point i was responding to was your comment that the order of which uniformed, law enforcement, agency it was reported to first would play a major role in the mind of a jury.  

And, as I've clarified thrice now, I didn't mean to address the chronological order of when public safety vs. police were informed, but that police weren't informed at all... at least not for six months ... despite the woman knowing that was an option.

Marqevans

• All American
« Reply #278 on: March 30, 2011, 01:33:02 PM »
Any chance this caused a player to leave?

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #279 on: March 30, 2011, 01:47:19 PM »
Agreed on the first point "It is amazing how many students are ready to put the players down as guilty already"...

But seriously on this next point!? "Probably the same kids that complain that we should spend less on the basketball program, and opt to study for a test worth 5 percent of their grade over going to a basketball game"  You do realize the students go to college for the education and NOT the basketball team, right? 

Yeah man, but you notice how I put that 5% to stress how little it would effect them...I wasn't saying oh hey I got a huge exam tomorrow screw it I am going to a Basketball game. I would do that even tho it would kill me and I would be following the game the whole time. I am talking about the kids with a little quiz about a reading that don't go to a huge game...but alright you can argue. This is a basketball board tho not an education board

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #280 on: March 30, 2011, 01:49:55 PM »
The girls I have talked to don't doubt something happened, but sadly, there is also a sense of, why would you go to Humphrey to hang with the hoops guys if you weren't expecting something to happen? I DON'T mean assault, but hooking up. Apparently the guys have a pretty lousy reputation on campus, such that the girls I talked to said there's no way they would go there.  I'm sure this is not unique to MU by any chance, but still disappointing to hear. That said, being big-time players is a different thing than commiting a crime, but obviously the line can be blurry and the guys involved got themselves in a situation that is blowing up on them.  
Typical.

As I noted, ..."Curiously, Women are more likely to doubt a female accuser, than are men. ..."

It seems counterintuitive, but women are generally better defense jurors, and more disposed to asking questions of doubting the woman accuser's facts, or circumstances. They recognize the possibility of putting herself in a risky position, by actions, circumstances, or dress. If there is corroborating evidence of the female's resistance..or saying "no", however, they will quickly stiffen for the plaintiff. Defendants can raise doubts, with female jurors, but must carefully never attack the accuser's veracity, lest they trigger the stiffening instinct.

Men are empathetic to the posibility of false accusation of a male defendant, but almost never suspect, or never fill in any evidence gaps to support such a scenario, as men consider such as unjust to the female accuser, to whom they are conditioned, and predisposed to secure and to protect.

BTW, too many men fail to recognize, that a quality FEMALE defense atty is better positioned, than a male atty, to work a jury on accuser doubt points/narrative, than a male attorney, yet few female attorneys recruit this work--I'm not sure why..
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
Re: What is the penalty for violating the Harassment Code?
« Reply #281 on: March 30, 2011, 02:22:43 PM »
How serious is the penalty for violating the Harassment Code?  Given what we know about Buzz, I would have thought he would have instituted some type of penalty to send a message to the team.  

It's not unusual for athletes who commit minor violations (relatively speaking) to have an early morning "meeting" with the strength and conditioning coach in order to get a message across.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #282 on: March 30, 2011, 02:32:00 PM »

MUfan12

• All American
Re: What is the penalty for violating the Harassment Code?
« Reply #283 on: March 30, 2011, 02:42:10 PM »
It's not unusual for athletes who commit minor violations (relatively speaking) to have an early morning "meeting" with the strength and conditioning coach in order to get a message across.

They had 5 or 6 AM practices for a week right around the time of the incident.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #284 on: March 30, 2011, 02:47:07 PM »
They had 5 or 6 AM practices for a week right around the time of the incident.

That's cute and all, but I hope this wasn't a situation where they just let Buzz take care of the punishment.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #285 on: March 30, 2011, 03:01:41 PM »

That's cute and all, but I hope this wasn't a situation where they just let Buzz take care of the punishment.

Punishment for what?

MUMac

• All American

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #287 on: March 30, 2011, 03:21:39 PM »
Punishment for what?

Putting themselves in a situation where sexual assault can even be misconstrued.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #288 on: March 30, 2011, 03:36:20 PM »
Punishment for what?

Weren't they found guilty, or whatever the proper terminology may be, of sexual harassment? If true, that deserves some punishment.
I think it's a safe assumption that the punishment was handed down through the university disciplinary process and that anything Buzz did or didn't do was supplementary to that.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #289 on: March 30, 2011, 03:41:50 PM »
Putting themselves in a situation where sexual assault can even be misconstrued.

Amen.  They should know better than to go to a party on a college campus.

In other news...

MILWAUKEE (AP) - Sources close to the situation report that Buzz's contract requires Marquette to end its Jesuit affiliation effective today.  Beginning April 1, Marquette will begin an affiliation with the Latter Day Saints.  The proposed name change from Marquette to BYU-Wisconsin has set off a firestorm amongst students and alumni.  However, when it was pointed out that the mascot would return to "Warriors," the masses became supportive and broke into cheers.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #290 on: March 30, 2011, 04:20:50 PM »
Weren't they found guilty, or whatever the proper terminology may be, of sexual harassment? If true, that deserves some punishment.
I think it's a safe assumption that the punishment was handed down through the university disciplinary process and that anything Buzz did or didn't do was supplementary to that.

Agreed. Just because they were not suspended, does not mean that they weren't punished or their only punishment was Buzz making them get up early (not saying I know this was a punishment, but it was used as an example earlier). I have heard from someone that some of the punishments that the Disciplinary committee hands out are along the lines of writing a paper or some sort of community service or maybe a type of class. This wasn't anything like sexual harassment, but it seemed like those were the types of punishments handed out for the Student review board. Also, they may be put on some sort of probation as well. Just saying that just because it wasn't made public doesn't mean that they got off easy or the review board made things different for the basketball players.

groove

« Reply #291 on: March 30, 2011, 04:26:00 PM »
Agreed. Just because they were not suspended, does not mean that they weren't punished or their only punishment was Buzz making them get up early (not saying I know this was a punishment, but it was used as an example earlier). I have heard from someone that some of the punishments that the Disciplinary committee hands out are along the lines of writing a paper or some sort of community service or maybe a type of class. This wasn't anything like sexual harassment, but it seemed like those were the types of punishments handed out for the Student review board. Also, they may be put on some sort of probation as well. Just saying that just because it wasn't made public doesn't mean that they got off easy or the review board made things different for the basketball players.

or they have to write "I will not tell a girl she has a nice ass" 100 times.

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #292 on: March 30, 2011, 04:27:55 PM »
Some people are turning this into a joke, and its really not appropriate at this time. What will you be thinking if you see one of the star players being kicked out of the school for something that happened? If this occurs we would know that something very inappropriate went down.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #293 on: March 30, 2011, 04:31:15 PM »
I am confuesed by the whole thing and don't have a clue what happened, didn't happen or even what is alledged to maybe have happened.  However, if there was no touching at least alledged, MPD would not be investigating it, and they would not be investigating a sexual assualt.  So there must be some allegation of touching at a minimum.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #294 on: March 30, 2011, 04:50:09 PM »
Whether this blows over quickly, which I believe, or not, it is not a joke. Nobody would want their daughter in a tough position. This is not like Duke case when the girls were of somewhat shady backgrounds. I feel for the girl a great deal. That said, I hope the guys did not do something stupid.

To me, regardless of outcome I wish this never happened. I tell my boys all the time they are one stupid decision from having major problem. In today's world guys have to think three times before they act.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #295 on: March 30, 2011, 04:58:21 PM »
Typical.

As I noted, ..."Curiously, Women are more likely to doubt a female accuser, than are men. ..."

That's my wife to a tee....she immediately had doubts about the girl in terms of her immediate thoughts.  Doesn't mean she tried and convicted her, but her brain immediately wondered what she was up to not so much the guys.

I can't figure women out, stopped trying years ago.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #296 on: March 30, 2011, 05:01:40 PM »
Amen.  They should know better than to go to a party on a college campus.

I know you were trying to be sarcastic, but actually there is a lot of truth to this.  When I was in the department, we had two sessions per year with the athletes going over the risks associated with their celebrity.  Like it or not, they are celebs on campus and have to be ever mindful of that.  We never said you can't go to a party, but we counseled strongly on the ramifications of attending parties, going to the bars, etc, etc.  They become targets.  They have to be careful.  People may not want to hear that, specifically the athletes, but that is the reality of the world.

When I was there, that was before smart phone cameras, etc.  Today they would have to be even more careful.  That's the tradeoff that some aren't willing to make.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #297 on: March 30, 2011, 05:02:15 PM »

I can't figure women out, stopped trying years ago.

I can actually agree with you on that one. Maybe your most accurate post.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #298 on: March 30, 2011, 05:05:55 PM »
As my daddy told me when I was a young man, "Son, women don't think like you think.   Women don't think like you think they are going to think.   And if you think you know what a woman is thinking, think again."     To my sister, his advice was, "Sweetheart, boys lie."
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

dpucane

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #299 on: March 30, 2011, 05:29:50 PM »
Some people are turning this into a joke, and its really not appropriate at this time. What will you be thinking if you see one of the star players being kicked out of the school for something that happened? If this occurs we would know that something very inappropriate went down.

Id rather have it as a joke than focus on the status of the basketball team when a girl might have been raped