[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Brett Nelson named head coach at Holy Cross  (Read 27320 times)

muguru

• All American
Re: Brett Nelson named head coach at Holy Cross
« Reply #125 on: July 06, 2019, 11:02:22 PM »
This is an off cycle hire. It will be hard to get an experience, high level recruiter at this point regardless of the money.

You never know...Coaches move around all the time for various different reasons. I want him to at least exhaust all options in this area, before he(if that's what he decides) to hire within, or just make a "meh" hire.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #126 on: July 06, 2019, 11:05:25 PM »
You never know...Coaches move around all the time for various different reasons. I want him to at least exhaust all options in this area, before he(if that's what he decides) to hire within, or just make a "meh" hire.

I think he will be very deliberate when making his decision. I don’t believe he has promoted assistants from within previously.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #127 on: July 07, 2019, 10:23:49 AM »
I said one or the other...IF the right X's and O's guy is available(and I'm talking someone that is well known for it and is GREAT at it), that's who I would prefer, if not, go with the grand slam recruiter. That being said an X's and O's guy can also be a great recruiter, right??

As I said, I trust Wojo to make a good hire, as he has in the past.

I know it's crazy to actually trust the guy who hired Nelson, Stan and Killings as opposed to trusting an anonymous interwebs guy who claims to know more about basketball than the rest of us have forgotten, but that's the chance I'm willing to take.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #128 on: July 07, 2019, 11:12:02 AM »
This is an off cycle hire. It will be hard to get an experience, high level recruiter at this point regardless of the money.

Disagree, money talks, and I would say Wojo probably sees 1 AAU coach or assistant that the kids really like.  Need somebody
with connections to high school players.  Sure the 3 MU players are nice additions but bring nothing to the table called experincece
in recruiting at a high level.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #129 on: July 07, 2019, 11:30:17 AM »
Disagree, money talks, and I would say Wojo probably sees 1 AAU coach or assistant that the kids really like.  Need somebody
with connections to high school players.  Sure the 3 MU players are nice additions but bring nothing to the table called experincece
Yes, Money talks and thus MU will get a lot of quality applicants for the job.   
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Shooter Flatch

• Starter
« Reply #130 on: July 07, 2019, 12:11:09 PM »
Sure the 3 MU players are nice additions but bring nothing to the table called experincece

Obviously Wojo wants the best available candidate, but I don’t know how you can say Jon Harris has no high level recruiting experience. You could also say the same thing about Brett Nelson before coming to Marquette.

Shooter Flatch

• Starter
« Reply #131 on: July 07, 2019, 12:15:05 PM »
We can talk about all the potential candidates we want but Wojo’s track record is to hire someone completely off the radar, or with Duke ties. I’m sure he’ll make a good hire.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #132 on: July 07, 2019, 12:28:08 PM »
Just need to make sure the candidates don't read Scoop.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #133 on: July 07, 2019, 01:03:58 PM »

Put it this way. IMO they aren’t hiring a proven assistant away from another major program this time.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #134 on: July 07, 2019, 01:05:39 PM »
Logical.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #135 on: July 07, 2019, 01:26:29 PM »

Plus Tax
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #136 on: July 07, 2019, 01:36:51 PM »

But then how will they ever learn to coach?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #137 on: July 07, 2019, 03:55:56 PM »
The only thing I know about Holy Cross is that they almost gave me a heart attack in Indy in 2003.

Thank goodness for Travis Diener, because D-Wade mostly sucked in that game, and Jackson and Merritt were totally M.I.A.

One of my good friends in LA is a Holy Cross grad. When I first started hanging out with him, Marquette came up and he said “you ******, I’m still not over 2003”. He was a soph and his roommate was on the team. He told me going into the game, the roommate told him their strategy was to sell out and take out Wade and force Diener (the small white PG) to beat you. We all know what happened.

I happily remind him constantly that Diener is probably my fave MU player of all time and I still have a baggy #34 jersey from that year in my closet

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #138 on: July 07, 2019, 05:57:42 PM »
One of my good friends in LA is a Holy Cross grad. When I first started hanging out with him, Marquette came up and he said “you ******, I’m still not over 2003”. He was a soph and his roommate was on the team. He told me going into the game, the roommate told him their strategy was to sell out and take out Wade and force Diener (the small white PG) to beat you. We all know what happened.

I happily remind him constantly that Diener is probably my fave MU player of all time and I still have a baggy #34 jersey from that year in my closet

Cool story, thanks for sharing.  I just looked at the box score for that game and my goodness, did Travis ever save our bacon.  Considering all that happened as a result of the Final Four run, that may be one of the more important (and overlooked) performances in MU history.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #139 on: July 07, 2019, 09:11:00 PM »
Cool story, thanks for sharing.  I just looked at the box score for that game and my goodness, did Travis ever save our bacon.  Considering all that happened as a result of the Final Four run, that may be one of the more important (and overlooked) performances in MU history.

It really was. I was in Indy ... and Diener became one of my favorite Warriors ever that day.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #140 on: July 07, 2019, 09:59:11 PM »
Congrats to Brett. Great school, great hoops history...but it's in Worcester.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #141 on: July 08, 2019, 11:36:08 AM »

You're friends with Bill Simmons? Cool
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #142 on: July 08, 2019, 12:15:46 PM »
No worries...it will get less baggy per year.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #143 on: July 08, 2019, 12:20:33 PM »

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #144 on: July 08, 2019, 12:45:19 PM »
Merritt and Jackson were both brutal to watch in that game -- shooting a combined 4 for 17 (23.5%). Diener scored as many points (29) as the rest of the starting lineup combined. It was a career high for Travis, and couldn't have come at a better time. Man, was that kid a competitor.

I also forgot that Tom Crean was an assistant to Holy Cross coach Kevin Willard when Willard was at Western Kentucky and Pittsburgh.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #145 on: July 08, 2019, 12:55:19 PM »
Congrats to Brett, BTW. Hate to lose him, but it's always a good sign when your assistants are in demand. It reflects well on the Marquette program. Think Holy Cross got a great young coach. Best of luck, and hope Wojo brings in someone just as good -- if not better.

"Brett is as good a basketball mind and worker as I have been around in college basketball. He has made Marquette University and our players better every day that he has been with us." Steve Wojciechowski

"I have been blessed to work with Brett at both Ball State and Marquette...He's a very good teacher of the game. But most importantly, he is a man of character and integrity who will do things the right way every day." Bill Scholl

"I have never seen a harder worker and a more committed player and coach to the game of basketball." Billy Donovan

http://www.patriotleague.org/news/2019/7/8/holy-cross-names-brett-nelson-mens-basketball-head-coach.aspx
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #146 on: July 08, 2019, 01:51:14 PM »
Now what are the Wojo bashers going to say when they can no longer claim Wojo's assistants get no interest in head coaching jobs?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #147 on: July 08, 2019, 02:06:08 PM »
Now what are the Wojo bashers going to say when they can no longer claim Wojo's assistants get no interest in head coaching jobs?

Donnie Jones coaching tree?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #148 on: July 08, 2019, 03:06:04 PM »
The assistant coaching candidates while all have their chance to show their recruiting chops in the interview process. They first have to convince Wojo and Staff they have the mettle for the job and why they are better than all the other very qualified candidates. If they have connections who can influence at MU that can lobby for them all the better. It is the same thing they have to do with recruits and their parents. 
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

muguru

• All American
« Reply #149 on: July 09, 2019, 04:22:56 PM »
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

feedback