'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Burton tearing get up the BC  (Read 3486 times)

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
Burton tearing get up the BC
« on: March 18, 2017, 10:45:42 PM »
2nd half Deonte almost singlehandedly brings I S back from 19 down

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Re: Burton tearing get up the BC
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 10:48:00 PM »
On the one hand, I wish Deonte well .. on the other, I feel bad for Purdue.  Smells like a MU game where we'd be up double digits and then the other team becomes unstoppable and we lose.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 10:50:08 PM »
Big block by deonte hope they can pull it out

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 10:59:54 PM »
I am pleased with this result.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 11:01:00 PM »
Does anyone think he can get drafted?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 11:05:15 PM »
Does anyone think he can get drafted?

In the NBA? No. He's a 6'4" forward who doesn't shoot well, defend well, and is high usage/low efficiency.

In the NFL? Maybe. Probably has a better chance of being the next Tony Gonzalez/Antonio Gates type than ever making an impact in the NBA.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2017, 11:07:48 PM »
The drives, the dunks, the 3s and that block on Swanigan's dunk attempt - that 2nd half may be the best half of ball anyone has played in the tournament so far. Nice going, kid, and welcome back to Milwaukee!

Norm

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 12:31:24 AM »
Watching the game tonight, and seeing how tough Deonte played, going toe-to-toe with Swanigan in the 2nd half and almost willing his team to come back, I would take him back on MU's team in a heart beat.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2017, 12:32:59 AM »
The matchup between Deonte and Swanigan was amazing to watch. Deonte played heavy minutes in the second half and was pretty much unguardable in iso one-on-one from the top of the key. Despite giving up 5 inches and at least 20 pounds, he held his own against Swanigan in the post.

This was the best of the 6 games at the Bradley Center. It was rocking about as loud as I've ever heard it. A lot of fun to watch.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2017, 12:34:09 AM »
Watching the game tonight, and seeing how tough Deonte played, going toe-to-toe with Swanigan in the 2nd half and almost willing his team to come back, I would take him back on MU's team in a heart beat.

Both Marquette and him were better off without each other.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2017, 12:41:59 AM »
I feel he is basically JJ with better dunks. He has some highlights and good stretches, but some awful shots and bad passes. I would pull my hair out watching him, but I'm glad he's had success at ISU.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2017, 12:45:40 AM »
I think Deonte could have been ideal in Buzz's switchable system at Marquette — similar to Lazar or Jae, two other strong but undersized forwards. Deonte might be the quickest of the three, and probably has the best outside shot (by a slim margin). Lazar and Jae both excelled at the mid-range game.

Deonte's biggest weakness may be decision-making. He takes a lot of ill-advised shots, and too often forces things, which shows in his lower 2-point percentage. But he's developed into a great player. Interested to see if he gets a look in the draft.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

MU82

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2017, 12:56:28 AM »
I know this thread is about Deonte, but ...

I've liked watching Swanigan a few times this season. Definitely a beast. However, he has one very bad habit that needs correcting - he brings the ball down too low and shows it to the defense. He must have had the basketball slapped away or poked away a half-dozen times against ISU; was fortunate he got it back or it went out of bounds on a few of those.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2017, 01:02:25 AM »
Both Marquette and him were better off without each other.

Marquette could have used him, no doubt about it. Kid is tougher than anybody we have.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2017, 01:13:28 AM »
Marquette could have used him, no doubt about it. Kid is tougher than anybody we have.

I guess it depends on how you define toughness.  He'd have been the worst defender that got playing time, and that's saying something.  He also averaged 13 shots per game at a lower clip than anybody other than Katin and Duane while JJJ lead us in FGAs/game at around 9.  He turned it over far more than he assisted it.  He's an isolation, 1 on 1, shoot first, second, third, fourth, and fifth guy who jumps at even the slightest head fake on defense.

We ran into problems all year when the offense started to miss shots and the guys reverted to one on one hero ball.  That is literally all we would've gotten from Deonte.  If people think Hank would've killed the efficiency of our offense, yeesh to thinking about what Deonte Burton would've done.

ISU was a perfect fit for Deonte, and Deonte a perfect fit for ISU.  Roll the ball out and go play.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2017, 01:15:14 AM »

+1

We could have especially used his driving ability.  I thought of that during last night's game.  If he's able to drive and score, it pulls the D in, maybe draws a double team, etc., who knows.  Oh well.  Spilled milk.  Happy to see him succeed at ISU.

EaglesNest

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2017, 02:37:58 AM »
Cool to see Iowa State have 4 of their 5 players on the court at times from the state of WI

connie

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2017, 06:55:01 AM »
I can't help but think that with his athleticism we might have picked up a rebound or two.  Understand his defense is lacking, but his speed and jumping are still crazy.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2017, 07:47:21 AM »
#MBD
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2017, 08:17:38 AM »
I think Deonte could have been ideal in Buzz's switchable system at Marquette — similar to Lazar or Jae, two other strong but undersized forwards. Deonte might be the quickest of the three, and probably has the best outside shot (by a slim margin). Lazar and Jae both excelled at the mid-range game.

Deonte's biggest weakness may be decision-making. He takes a lot of ill-advised shots, and too often forces things, which shows in his lower 2-point percentage. But he's developed into a great player. Interested to see if he gets a look in the draft.

Burton has a better outside shot than Lazar did?  Really?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

feedback