Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Biggest day in MU bball since...  (Read 14338 times)

Wade for President

• All American
Biggest day in MU bball since...
« on: October 09, 2014, 09:15:51 PM »
One player is not bigger than the program, especially if said player is currently in high school.  However, it's hard to argue the impact a consensus top 10 recruit could have on our program.  The potential windfall with Ellenson's commitment might be difficult to quantify now, but the impact of this news is limitless.

Stop and think how you reacted when you first heard the news, and ask yourself when was the last time you were this giddy about MU hoops?  How many people did you text?  What song did you jam in your car?  How long has that sh*t eattin grin been on your face?

So I must ask...is this the biggest day in MU bball since the Elite 8?  Final Four run?

GGGG

• All American
Re: Biggest day in MU bball since...
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 09:18:20 PM »
Well, to be fair, the time between the E8 and today has been pretty sh*tty.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 09:22:35 PM »
....we'll have him walking on water by next week......

Let's slow down with the limitless potential windfall stuff. Could happen, absolutely.  Hopefully it happens...of course.   Of course, I can run through about 20 programs in the range of our program that got top 15 type of recruits over the years and their fanbases said the same thing.  Went to lunch with a Georgetown grad today and he was talking about when they got Greg Monroe and how everyone thought that meanth national titles, top 10 forever, etc. 

I know people will rail on me for this, I get the excitement..it's what fans do....but it's also a mistake that fans make.  It's #1 draft pickitis....sometimes it works to unbelievable extremes, but is no guarantee by any stretch.

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 09:31:40 PM »

Let's slow down with the limitless potential windfall stuff. Could happen, absolutely.  Hopefully it happens...of course.   Of course, I can run through about 20 programs in the range of our program that got top 15 type of recruits over the years and their fanbases said the same thing.  Went to lunch with a Georgetown grad today and he was talking about when they got Greg Monroe and how everyone thought that meanth national titles, top 10 forever, etc. 

I know people will rail on me for this, I get the excitement..it's what fans do....but it's also a mistake that fans make.  It's #1 draft pickitis....sometimes it works to unbelievable extremes, but is no guarantee by any stretch.

Monroe didn't stay but one year right? So in a way your friend was right...If a high recruit is one and done of course it will be cut short.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 09:34:16 PM »

Indiana *cough*
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 09:35:32 PM »
One player is not bigger than the program, especially if said player is currently in high school.  However, it's hard to argue the impact a consensus top 10 recruit could have on our program.  The potential windfall with Ellenson's commitment might be difficult to quantify now, but the impact of this news is limitless.

Stop and think how you reacted when you first heard the news, and ask yourself when was the last time you were this giddy about MU hoops?  How many people did you text?  What song did you jam in your car?  How long has that sh*t eattin grin been on your face?

So I must ask...is this the biggest day in MU bball since the Elite 8?  Final Four run?

No. Not really my friend.

This is not the top recruit in the country. But close...but I don't think it is not better then a Final Four run. But it is up there.

Even Wade was not a top recruit at the time Tom Crean took a chance on him. I say no, not quite.

I like this because others kids lured this guy here who have played with him and he can play with his brother and family here.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 09:40:52 PM »
Indiana *cough*

I guess Henry could be as impactful as say, Noah Vonleh.

Wade for President

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 09:51:06 PM »

Chicos, I'm expecting you now to tell me that Santa isn't real.  The sheer enthusiasm around this pick-up is palpable, and that in itself, tells me that this is a monumental day in MU hoops.  I'm not insinuating national titles, top 10 rankings, or Playboy playmates taking up residence in McCormick Hall.

What one can't argue (even you my friend), is that Henry is the highest ranked recruit in 30+ years.  That in itself warrants someone to throw around the words potential and windfall.

How often does a consensus top 10 recruit not make it to the NBA (I fully expect you to come back with a list of flops)?  At the bare minimum, we just got a commitment from someone more than likely to play in the NBA.  For that alone, I'm screaming from the mountain tops.

Chicos, for the love of god, don't post for the next 48 hours.  It's rainbows and butterflies right now.  Emotion and passion are overflowing today...and after what this fanbase/program have been through the last 12 months, that's perfectly justified.  Don't piss on the parade.

Mr. Ellenson.....your table is ready.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2014, 09:53:07 PM »
I guess Henry could be as impactful as say, Noah Vonleh.

Sobering thought: if Wojo's as crappy a coach as TC, Henry may turn out to be a one and done top 10 PF, and he could play with a McDonalds AA point guard, the national 6th man of the year and a bunch of other 4*s and still not make the NIT.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2014, 10:00:23 PM »
e8

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2014, 10:32:41 PM »

Obviously there have been top-rated players that haven't panned out, but how many of them had the work ethic that Henry does? He's repeatedly said skill development was going to be a very important factor in his college choice, so it would seem he feels he needs to get better before he decides to go to the Association. If he was some egomaniacal blob it would probably be wise to temper expectations, but he clearly is not remotely close to that.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2014, 11:01:32 PM »

Glenn Rivers was the consensus Number One high school player in the nation when we recruited him. He had a nice career for us and in the NBA but there was a very big gap between actual and expected performance. If Henry is as good a player as Doc was I will be more than happy.  I agree lets give Henry some breathing room. Would like to see him have a great run his senior year in high school and keep building his skills.

MayaSmart

• Walk-On
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2014, 11:12:49 PM »
Today was a huge day for scoop.  I have been a long time reader.  Today scoop talked about Warrior basketball and where it is headed.  Threads weren't interrupted by pictures of young military ladies, there was no talk about direct tv and name drops, and Derrick Wilson's name barely came up.  I'm jacked to see where Wojo can take mubb, but I'm also excited to see the board become readable again.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2014, 11:27:32 PM »
Glenn Rivers was the consensus Number One high school player in the nationwhen we recruited him. He had a nice career for us and in the NBA but there was a very big gap between actual and expected performance. If Henry is as good a player as Doc was I will be more than happy.  I agree lets give Henry some breathing room. Would like to see him have a great run his senior year in high school and keep building his skills.

Aaaaaaaand that's patently false. I don't think a single scouting service had him as #1, much less a consensus. And you're lecturing others to tone it down?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2014, 12:45:16 AM »
Obviously there have been top-rated players that haven't panned out, but how many of them had the work ethic that Henry does? He's repeatedly said skill development was going to be a very important factor in his college choice, so it would seem he feels he needs to get better before he decides to go to the Association. If he was some egomaniacal blob it would probably be wise to temper expectations, but he clearly is not remotely close to that.

I'm excited, hope he is everything that the expectations say he'll be.  I'm just not going to put those expectations on him...to each their own.  I hope the students, fans, etc will give him his space, let him be a college student, let him develop as a young person into a man.  Sounds like a good kid that will represent MU well.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2014, 01:05:26 AM »
Aaaaaaaand that's patently false. I don't think a single scouting service had him as #1, much less a consensus. And you're lecturing others to tone it down?

You're right on.  Doc was ranked very highly, but he wasn't even the top recruit from the Chicago area - that distinction went to Russell Cross a center from Manley High School who was the MVP of the McDonald's All-American game and went to Purdue.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2014, 09:18:50 AM »
I'm excited, hope he is everything that the expectations say he'll be.  I'm just not going to put those expectations on him...to each their own.  I hope the students, fans, etc will give him his space, let him be a college student, let him develop as a young person into a man.  Sounds like a good kid that will represent MU well.

Chicos is of course correct. We shouldn't heap unreachable expectations onto a 17 year old kid.

However, today is not the day to point this out. There is an entire 13 months before Henry debuts as a Warrior. Plenty of time to remind us to let Henry enjoy being a student athlete. Give us at least 24 hours to celebrate the highest rated recruit in Marquette's past 30 years. Then work on bring us back to Earth.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2014, 09:53:00 AM »
Chicos, I'm expecting you now to tell me that Santa isn't real.  The sheer enthusiasm around this pick-up is palpable, and that in itself, tells me that this is a monumental day in MU hoops.  I'm not insinuating national titles, top 10 rankings, or Playboy playmates taking up residence in McCormick Hall.

What one can't argue (even you my friend), is that Henry is the highest ranked recruit in 30+ years.  That in itself warrants someone to throw around the words potential and windfall.

How often does a consensus top 10 recruit not make it to the NBA (I fully expect you to come back with a list of flops)?  At the bare minimum, we just got a commitment from someone more than likely to play in the NBA.  For that alone, I'm screaming from the mountain tops.

Chicos, for the love of god, don't post for the next 48 hours.  It's rainbows and butterflies right now.  Emotion and passion are overflowing today...and after what this fanbase/program have been through the last 12 months, that's perfectly justified.  Don't piss on the parade.

Mr. Ellenson.....your table is ready.

Believe me! Santa is real, just ask my 4 year old grand daughter. I believe Ellenson is also for real (early MU Christmas present from Santa)... and I always have a good laugh at how all you guys let Chicos push your buttons; he is entitled to his OPINION and FACTS as are you.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2014, 10:00:04 AM »

Got it.  You've said this about 27 times in the last 24 hours.  You aren't going to celebrate and don't think there's a reason for it.  Maybe TC's inability to take top talent and turn it into anything on the court at IU has made you learn from experience.  Good for you.  This is uncharted territory for Marquette basketball.  Some here would like to enjoy it.  Feel free to distance yourself from Scoop if you don't like that.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2014, 10:07:53 AM »
Biggest day since we went to the Elite 8. Before that co-winning the Big East.

Remember, the point of getting a recruit like Ellenson is that MAYBE we would be able to make an Elite 8 or go even farther. Or even to win one's conference.
We Are Marquette

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2014, 10:22:30 AM »
Isn't it possible to be incredibly excited and have realistic expectations?  My expectations for Henry: develop into a good, possibly great player.  Won't know how good he is until he proves it.  Could be one, two, three or even four years at MU.

The team has the potential to go very far.  Final Four?  National Championship?  Again won't know until they prove it.  It's exciting that MU landed a likely McD's AA for the first time in 30 years.  But the last one at MU was Kerry Trotter.  Dwyane Wade was not even close to McD's AA but in hindsight was the #1 recruit in his class.  Maybe Cheatham ends up being the best player for MU in this recruiting class.  Maybe JJJ, Burton, Fischer or Wilson develops into the megastar.  Maybe none of them do but MU has a bunch of good to very good players.   You never know how things will play out.  But that doesn't mean fans can't be excited for what looks like a very bright future.  

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2014, 10:45:23 AM »
Biggest day since we went to the Elite 8.

This is absolutely true--but just to put things in persepctive--what's the second-biggest day since the E8?

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2014, 10:51:22 AM »
This is absolutely true--but just to put things in persepctive--what's the second-biggest day since the E8?

I have the strong impression that with time the hiring of Wojo will be the biggest day since the E8.

No Wojo, no Ellenson.

No Wojo, we risk a slide backwards instead of a leap towards the future.
We Are Marquette

mumagz84

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2014, 11:00:17 AM »

Let's slow down with the limitless potential windfall stuff. Could happen, absolutely.  Hopefully it happens...of course.   Of course, I can run through about 20 programs in the range of our program that got top 15 type of recruits over the years and their fanbases said the same thing.  Went to lunch with a Georgetown grad today and he was talking about when they got Greg Monroe and how everyone thought that meanth national titles, top 10 forever, etc.  

I know people will rail on me for this, I get the excitement..it's what fans do....but it's also a mistake that fans make.  It's #1 draft pickitis....sometimes it works to unbelievable extremes, but is no guarantee by any stretch.

I understand that you feel that your role is to play the "super-ego" of MU scoop sometimes.  But given that Henry is the highest recruit for Marquette in over 30 years and this just occurred yesterday, it is appropriate for Marquette "fanatics" to be excited about this right now.  We are all adults here and everyone has a right to their emotions and excitement right now.  Honestly, if you feel the need to throw water on all this to temper everyone's happiness right now, you may be of more help fighting the wildfires on the west coast.  Just enjoy the ride.....  
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 11:26:29 AM by mumagz84 »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2014, 11:00:52 AM »
Isn't it possible to be incredibly excited and have realistic expectations?  
Ding ... ding ... ding ... ding! Winner, winner, chicken dinner!!

I play softball. A few weeks ago, with two strikes on me, I actually swung and missed at a pitch about 2 feet out of the strike zone because I was afraid of taking strike 3. It was embarrassing and I got pissed off at myself. My coach immediately tried to calm me down. I said: "I (bleeping) struck out! Aren't I allowed to be (bleeping) mad for a (bleeping) minute?"

We got a top-10 recruit. Aren't we allowed to be giddy for a minute?

Yes, we need to be realistic. Duke added Jabari Parker to an already great team and has the most accomplished coach in college basketball, but the Dookies lost in the first round to Mercer. We get it. Stuff happens. Henry might never be a superstar and we might never get to a Final Four with him.

But do we have to face negativism now, of all times? We can't just be a little giddy?

Chicos and others should go start a new thread reminding us of the obvious instead of injecting it hundreds of times in threads celebrating Wojo's recruiting coup.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2014, 11:02:55 AM »

That one day that Shaka smart was hired.
Maigh Eo for Sam

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2014, 11:10:19 AM »
Biggest day in MU hoops since.... the last game.

Next exciting thing to happen?  = the next game.

All the stuff in between is like Nebraska when you're driving across country... it's necessary to go through it, it just isn't very interesting. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2014, 11:12:09 AM »
Biggest day in MU hoops since.... the last game.

Next exciting thing to happen?  = the next game.

All the stuff in between is like Nebraska when you're driving across country... it's necessary to go through it, it just isn't very interesting. 

Wow. Tough crowd. Securing the #4 recruit in the nation doesn't move the needle?

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2014, 11:36:04 AM »
Look, I'm excited the way I'm excited when I see a new building being constructed.

Henry won't make us national champions. What he is and hopefully will be is a building block around which the framework for a national championship can be structured.

We have a core team in 2014-2015 that looks pretty good.

We have the third best recruiting class (currently) in the country coming in for 2015-2016.

We have a young and exciting head coach that appears to be doing all the right things. But, folks, he needs to coach a game and get the feel of what he has before we start clearing space next to the 1977 banner.

So yes, I'm excited. But no, I'm not ready to buy my Marquette final four tickets just yet.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2014, 12:06:06 PM »
If Henry is the greatest recruit since sliced bread how come the scholarship table has not been updated.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2014, 12:15:37 PM »
Yesterday was the biggest day in MU history since...ever.  Just like today is the biggest day in MU history since...ever.

Win every day.

And respect the process.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2014, 12:37:05 PM »
well sh!t...i hate myself...but i'm with chicos on this one.  i love what wojo is doing, and i love ellenson's game...i won't pretend that anyone on this board knows how it's going to play out for those two or mu.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2014, 12:49:59 PM »
well sh!t...i hate myself...but i'm with chicos on this one.  i love what wojo is doing, and i love ellenson's game...i won't pretend that anyone on this board knows how it's going to play out for those two or mu.

Frankly, I haven't see any wild predictions or such. Yes, people are excited but what's wrong with that.

On a very basic level, I like watching talented players, especially MU guys. The fact that MU added a guy who's a consensus top player in his class is exciting to me on the basis of just getting the chance to watch him play.

Also, ignore Chicos. His above it all attitude is just another act to draw attention to himself.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2014, 12:59:18 PM »
F*ckin' wants to know if its ok to have a little wood over this?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2014, 02:00:05 PM »
F*ckin' wants to know if its ok to have a little wood over this?

Isn't that the only kind available to him?

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2014, 02:50:39 PM »

He was considered the #1 guard, not necessarily the #1 player. 
http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1980/02/26/page/43/article/rivers-chooses-marquette

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2014, 02:54:44 PM »
He was considered the #1 guard, not necessarily the #1 player. 
http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1980/02/26/page/43/article/rivers-chooses-marquette

Okay, so he was not considered the #1 player by that service either, nor was he by any stretch of the imagination the CONSENSUS #1 player. Affirmed, thanks.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2014, 02:55:53 PM »

Buzz announcing he's leaving.

Sobering thought: if Wojo's as crappy a coach as TC, Henry may turn out to be a one and done top 10 PF, and he could play with a McDonalds AA point guard, the national 6th man of the year and a bunch of other 4*s and still not make the NIT.

If Wojo is as crappy as Crean, we'll be in a Final Four in four years, and an NIT in the fifth.

If he's as crappy as Buzz, we'll only make an Elite Eight, but it will take five years to get there, and we'll miss everything the year after that.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2014, 03:09:12 PM »
Buzz announcing he's leaving.

If Wojo is as crappy as Crean, we'll be in a Final Four in four years, and an NIT in the fifth.

If he's as crappy as Buzz, we'll only make an Elite Eight, but it will take five years to get there, and we'll miss everything the year after that.

Or, you could look at it like this.   If Wojo is as crappy as Crean, he will have one transcendent year.   The other 8 he will miss the post season twice, go to the NIT twice, and win one NCAA game total.     If he is as crappy as Buzz, he will go S-16, S-16, E8, bring home a Big East title, win NCAA tourney games in 5 years, and have one absolute crap sandwich of a year.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2014, 03:34:58 PM »
Okay, so he was not considered the #1 player by that service either, nor was he by any stretch of the imagination the CONSENSUS #1 player. Affirmed, thanks.

Now you're the one jumping to conclusions.

Its certainly not beyond the stretch of the imagination that the #1 guard might also be the #1 player overall--especially at the time we were recruiting him--late '79/early '80.

I can't find any article that says Rivers was the #1 player overall--but I can't find any article that claims Cross (or anyone else) was either.  And even if Cross was MVP in the McDonalds game, that game took place months after we were recruiting and landed Rivers.

So its certainly possible that Rivers was the #1 overall player at one point during his recruitment, but Cross overtook him by season's end.

MUrugger

• Starter
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2014, 03:55:46 PM »
Hey I'm as giddy as anybody over tHE big signing, but I'm with Chicos, Texas Western and 1010 on this one.  The giddiness is part of the ride.
Ever experience the planning and enthusiasm prior to a trip actually trumping the trip?  Experience and wisdom suggests that things don't always work out as envisioned.  I almost hate to admit it, but back when it was announced, I felt this good about Walter Downing signing at MU. 

Even recognizing the fact that busts of the highly touted often happen; I'm thinking that increases our chances with tHE Chosen One.

Reality can come later.  I'm buzzed and enjoying it now. 

feedback