'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Crittle schedules more official visits  (Read 7153 times)

muwarrior87

• All American
Re: Crittle schedules more official visits
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2007, 08:40:13 PM »
I was just thinking about that earlier today Murf.  If a big man is slightly smaller than an opposing teams big man but has better footwork and can position themselves better on both offense and defense, he can, in fact, not only play better but potentially dominate the opposing team's big man.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2007, 05:37:48 AM »
Good point, one of the most dominating defensive big men in the league isn't 7' 6" Yao its
6' 9" Ben Wallace...

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2007, 08:57:01 AM »
Size, vertical leap, and wing span are all very important inside, but position (a knack for being in the right place at the right time) is the most important.

Murf,

Its rare that I agree with you completely... but in this case I do.

I will also take it a step further to say that having "a knack for being in the right place at the right time" is part of being a good ballplayer.

Harrison,

Physical attributes are important (size, length, reach, quickness, strength, hand eye coordination, etc.), but they don't exist in their own space. It takes a combination of those factors as well as experience, basketball IQ, good coaching, good physical condition, good mental approach, etc. to make a good player.

You can't take one factor (height) and break it off that this isn't a kid we should recruit or sign because he's not 6' 9".

If the kid can play, he can play. Size is merely one factor.

As far as the "all things being equal" bit, I guess that's true in theory, but it's not like there are 2 players out there who are exactly the same but are 2 inches apart.

The kid appears to be a good player who is within our wheelhouse for recruiting (midwest), so MU should recruit him, and should sign him if they think that MU is a good fit for him.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 11:29:24 AM by 2002mualum »

Phi Iota Gamma 84

• Team Captain
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2007, 11:10:11 AM »
Size, vertical leap, and wing span are all very important inside, but position (a knack for being in the right place at the right time) is the most important.

Murf,

Its rare that I agree with you completely... but in this case I do.

I will also take it a step further to say that having "a knack for being in the right place at the right time" is part of being a good ballplayer.

Again, physical attributes are important (size, length, reach, quickness, strength, hand eye coordination, etc.), but they don't exist in their own space. It takes a combination of those factors as well as experience, basketball IQ, good coaching, good physical condition, good mental approach, etc. to make a good player.

You can't take one factor (height) and break it off that this isn't a kid we should recruit or sign because he's not 6' 9".

If the kid can play, he can play. Size is merely one factor.

As far as the "all things being equal" bit, I guess that's true in theory, but it's not like there are 2 players out there who are exactly the same but are 2 inches apart.

The kid appears to be a good player who is within our wheelhouse for recruiting (midwest), so MU should recruit him, and should sign him if they think that MU is a good fit for him.

Charles Barkley was at most 6'6" and routinely schooled players 4-6" talller on both offensive and defensive ends.
There is nothing less productive than doing more efficiently that which should not be done at all-Peter Drucker

tower912

• All American
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2007, 12:00:39 PM »
David Boone was generously listed at 6'6".   He was one of the leading rebounders in the country.   A decent leaper, he just worked at it.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2007, 03:21:49 PM »
Faisal Abraham was like 6'6" too
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2007, 03:27:55 PM »
Faisal Abraham was like 6'6" too

We've got him down as 6'7", but hey, what's an inch  ;D
http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/men_s_basketball/faisal_abraham