Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Anybody else underwhelmed by Lockett thus far?  (Read 6368 times)

Wade for President

• All American
Anybody else underwhelmed by Lockett thus far?
« on: December 10, 2012, 05:54:22 AM »
Since we're all in the MU trust tree, it's okay (some deem it therapeutic and healthy) to dip below the line from time to time.  I was curious to see where the board stands with regards to Lockett's contributions thus far.

Maybe it's because he's shooting 6 for 24 over the last 3 games, had 7 turnovers against Wisco, or has only hit double figures once this year, but I was under the impression that Lockett was going to be a big part to the success of this year's squad.

I don't see it, at least not yet.  He has difficulties creating his own shot (which often leads to a traveling or charging call), isn't going to wow you with his athleticism, and doesn't seem to contribute in many other areas.

His senior leadership is welcomed, but I'm hoping that Trent can show us more throughout the season (fortunately it's still early December).

I can't be alone on this.

tower912

• All American
Re: Anybody else underwhelmed by Lockett thus far?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 05:59:05 AM »
I am disappointed in his production so far.  I have said as much multiple times elsewhere.   It appears to me that he and Jake have yet to really find their way in Buzz's offense during games.    When to shoot, when to defer.    And everytime he decides to drive, it seems that it is the wrong decision.  There is a lot of practice and only a few games in the next 3 weeks.   Hopefully for both of them, the tumblers fall into place.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 07:07:51 AM »
I am disappointed in his production so far.  I have said as much multiple times elsewhere.   It appears to me that he and Jake have yet to really find their way in Buzz's offense during games.    When to shoot, when to defer.    And everytime he decides to drive, it seems that it is the wrong decision.  There is a lot of practice and only a few games in the next 3 weeks.   Hopefully for both of them, the tumblers fall into place.   

He was terrible against UW.  He should have been more of factor given the slower pace of the game.  Dont know what is going on but history says he will turn it around.

One thing I don't understand is his need to drive all the way to the hoop ala Blue. He has a nice pull-up shot like Cadougan has shown lately. Use it.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 07:22:43 AM »
He does not look comfortable in the offense. Hopefully that will come with time. He is forcing it and not letting the game come to him. He hurt the team Saturday night with turnovers and poor decisions on shots. One time he had a wide open shot for 3 from the corner with plenty of time to shoot it but he drove to the basket instead and turned it over. The shots are there it just looks like he is trying to do too much.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 07:26:42 AM »
I had said over the summer that I wasn't expecting as much from Lockett as some of you.  Based on the team and conference he was coming from, I looked at him like we were getting a 13 ppg guy from Marist or Hofstra or something.  A nice role player.  I do think he will get better as the season progresses and he gets acclimated to the speed at which we're trying to play.  

The guy who had disappointed me the most thus far is J Wilson.  I thought he was the guy that was going to make the leap.  I still think he will play a lot better as the season wears on.  He started slowly last year but finished strong.  Otule is a mild disappointment because he does not appear to be the player he was before he got injured last year.  Though it's really hard to say you are disappointed with a guy who has overcome as much as he has and gives the effort he does.

On a happier note, Vander Blue has lifted his offensive game in ways I did not think he was capable.  D Wilson looks like a guy who can be more than just someone who can avoid turnovers for a spell, which is what he looked like to me last year.  I think he can grow into a guy who can initiate offense.

Everybody else is playing about how I expected.  Besides, it is still very early and we could all be singing a much different tune in a month.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 07:39:37 AM »
With TJ Taylor and Mayo gone, can you imagine where MU would be without him? Clearly, he is forcing it within the offense, trying fill the Jimmy Butler role of the banger to the hole within Buzz's offense, where most of his turnover and shooting issues seem to occur with the physicality of the lower body checks. PAC 12 is not a physical league, so I think it will work itself out as he adjusts to style of play.  Defense and rebounding have been great.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 07:42:47 AM »
I remember a couple of short years ago when we were despairing of Jae ever being as good as Lazar.   There is clearly a learning curve with Buzz's offense.   Hopefully, Trent can figure it out.    I agree that the biggest puzzle/disappointment has been JWilson not taking the next step.    But again, there are 3 games in the next 3 weeks.   I am cautiously optimistic that with everybody gets it by the start of conference play. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 07:47:51 AM »
He was second on the team in minutes Saturday night.  He defended Dekker very well.  Needs to cut down on the turnovers, but as long as he plays within himself he does enough to earn his spot.  If he wasn't on the floor, I cannot imagine the issues they would be facing.  Too much Taylor and he's not quite ready.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 07:49:00 AM »
Written for a different thread but I cut and pasted it here (numbers updated and edited slightly)...

Lockett played in a slow, deliberate system at ASU. That's very different than what MU plays. He hasn't scored a lot which means he doesn't stand out to a lot of fans but he's averaging 8 ppg, leads the team in steals, is second in FT%, third in rebounding, third in assists and plays very good defense. His shot isn't falling right now and he's pressing a little bit. It'll get there.

It's very similar to Vander the last couple of seasons - far too many people are quick to claim that he's a bust because he doesn't score a ton of points but they are ignorant to all of the other positive contributions that he makes.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 07:51:11 AM »
He was second on the team in minutes Saturday night.  He defended Dekker very well.  Needs to cut down on the turnovers, but as long as he plays within himself he does enough to earn his spot.  If he wasn't on the floor, I cannot imagine the issues they would be facing.  Too much Taylor and he's not quite ready.

I thought the same thing but it turns out he had only 9 TOs in the first 7 games. The Wisco game was an outlier.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 08:05:39 AM »

Playing within himself is the thing because as others have stated he is doing other things well. However I think it is ok to question aspects of his play. He leads the team in turnovers, outliers or no outliers. He is shooting 36%. That’s not good and it’s the lowest percentage on the team.  It seems like he is trying to be the go to guy and he just can’t do it right now and it hurts the team.

Not ripping the guy, I think he will improve offensively, but until he does he should stop trying to be something he isn't right now and  keep doing all the other things he is doing to help the team.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012, 08:10:20 AM »
I never said people can't question aspects of his play, but despite his issues Saturday, he was second on the team with 34 minutes.  So obviously Buzz doesn't feel that his play "hurts the team" that much...or he wouldn't be on the floor.

Now part of that is who else do you have?  Neither Anderson nor Taylor have much of an offensive game, and both are step-downs from Lockett defensively. 

YA reason why we need Mayo back.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2012, 08:16:07 AM »
I never said people can't question aspects of his play, but despite his issues Saturday, he was second on the team with 34 minutes.  So obviously Buzz doesn't feel that his play "hurts the team" that much...or he wouldn't be on the floor.

Now part of that is who else do you have?  Neither Anderson nor Taylor have much of an offensive game, and both are step-downs from Lockett defensively. 

You answered the question of why Buzz keeps him on the floor. Who else do we have? All I am saying is if you are turning the ball over and shooting 36% then defer to someone else  offensively instead of forcing the issue.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2012, 08:20:13 AM »
I agree that the biggest puzzle/disappointment has been JWilson not taking the next step. 

Agree.  He just seems so soft.  Kind of want some thuggish player to give him a couple hard fouls and see if it gets his blood to boil a little.  But not even thuggish players bother to foul on 16 foot jumpers.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2012, 08:45:57 AM »

So is he comming back on the 15th or 16th of this month?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2012, 08:53:38 AM »
So is he comming back on the 15th or 16th of this month?

Still to be determined....obviously partially based on how he does this week.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2012, 09:25:02 AM »
Honestly, I hope Buzz just yanks the chains a bit and tells him to focus on offensive boards and shooting threes.  Don't worry about finding the open guy or making your own shot or your own play.  We have Junior, Otule/Garnder, Blue, and Wilson out there.  They can make the offense run.  I think Buzz will work this out by the new year.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

MU82

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2012, 09:31:13 AM »
Lockett certainly hasn't been a disaster but he has been a disappointment based on what most of us might have expected from him. He is a decent defender and an OK rebounder who seems either 1. lost offensively or 2. not gifted offensively.

The biggest surprise for me continues to be how athletic he isn't. He's not fast, he has poor body control on drives, he is not strong around the rim, etc.

Judging by his minutes, Buzz trusts him to do the little things reasonably well, to not make many mistakes and to play decent defense. If the rest of our guys were doing better offensively, his role-player status probably would be easier on our eyes.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2012, 09:33:50 AM »
I imagine what we've seen is about the worst case scenario. If Lockett can continue to play this kind of D and rebound well while chipping in 8 ppg, he'll be a solid addition. If he acclimates to the offense, all the better.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2012, 09:35:09 AM »
Trent will win a couple games for us.  His defense on Dekker was key for MU on Saturday, along with Juan.  Right now, he seems to be feeling his way into Buzz's offense.  His athleticism has probably been hurt by his multiple injuries at ASU.  Glad we have him as Thomas is not a reasonable alternative.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2012, 09:59:26 AM »
I think Lockett will end up being a smaller but slightly more versatile version of Oluma Nnamaka (sp?) - not outstanding at anything, not terribly athletic but solid all around.

I agree with those most concerned about J Wilson. We've been in 3 physical battles this year - UW, Florida and Butler. He was ok in one (UW) and was timid/schooled in the other two. He's gotta be tougher for MU succeed this year.

JD

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2012, 10:02:27 AM »
I know Trent has had some struggles, but I've been more frustrated with J-Wilson than anybody.  He was supposed to be our next Jae Crowder/Jimmy Butler type player.  He has shown absolutely nothing other than one game in Maui.  

I don't know what his stat line was from Saturday night, but i remember he was in foul trouble and looked lost on offense.  His play on defense seemed lazy and he kept reaching once his man turned the corner on him.  I really hope he gets it going soon, it's imperative in conference play.

Trent is a new player to MU, Jamil has been here and knows what is expected of him.  I find him a lot more frustrating then Trent.
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2012, 10:03:17 AM »
I think Lockett will end up being a smaller but slightly more versatile version of Oluma Nnamaka (sp?) - not outstanding at anything, not terribly athletic but solid all around.

I agree with those most concerned about J Wilson. We've been in 3 physical battles this year - UW, Florida and Butler. He was ok in one (UW) and was timid/schooled in the other two. He's gotta be tougher for MU succeed this year.

That's a decent comparison.

I would hope for Lockett is to be a good defender and efficient on offense. Maybe he can't be a volume scorer, but if he can be efficient and score 10pts per, I think that is realistic.

Admittedly, I was projecting him (based upon his stats and highlights) to be more like Wes Matthews. I don't envision that happening at this point.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 10:04:50 AM by Guns n Ammo »

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2012, 10:27:21 AM »
Lockett has been disappointing so far.  Don't think he's had a really good game yet.  He seems a step slow and a bit stiff.  Surprised by his poor shooting and turn overs.  Can see his minutes decreasing unless he turns it around in the next couple of games.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2012, 10:38:51 AM »
I hope I end up only being underwhelmed by the end of the season.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2012, 10:40:08 AM »
Honestly, I hope Buzz just yanks the chains a bit and tells him to focus on offensive boards and shooting threes.  Don't worry about finding the open guy or making your own shot or your own play.  We have Junior, Otule/Garnder, Blue, and Wilson out there.  They can make the offense run.  I think Buzz will work this out by the new year.

That is not the role Buzz has for him...he wants him to drive into the paint to create space for a kick-out or for him to take it to the hoop for a foul. Paint touches. Lockett leads the team in free throw attempts and that will continue.  While he has to adjust to the physical game, he is well built and well suited for the JFB role.  He took a wide open trey against Bucky early in the shot clock that was in and out...and Buzz gave him a talk to take that open driving lane to the hoop instead. He has broken facial bones, bad ankles, and a big time adjustment to MU's style. He isn't the most efficient guy to start with, but Buzz is trying to transform him into the JFB role--so think free throws with him. Jamil is in the Jae role for the treys.  

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2012, 12:08:35 PM »
Not really, because I did not think he was as good as most here was expecting him to be. He also has to adapt to MU's offense, which takes time.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2016, 03:01:14 PM »
Who knows how Reinhardt will turn out, but I thought this was worth sharing from 4 years ago. Many similar thoughts about Lockett: solid D, questionable shooting, useful if unspectacular player.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2016, 03:16:31 PM »
Who knows how Reinhardt will turn out, but I thought this was worth sharing from 4 years ago. Many similar thoughts about Lockett: solid D, questionable shooting, useful if unspectacular player.
Lockett was a superior defender.  Shooting was not questionable, just having difficulty making shots.  Big issue for Lockett in the early days was his TO problem.  That got corrected.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2016, 03:39:57 PM »

And wearing a facial mask for three broken bones.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2016, 04:08:41 PM »
I always thought the Lockett hate was so unwarranted though. He did so many good things and never forced the issue. Theres just a different feeling about Katin, for me personally, hope im wrong, but I dont like the early signs.

Anyone remember Lockett's Senior Day speech btw? He really loved his one season at Marquette.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2016, 04:13:29 PM »
I always thought the Lockett hate was so unwarranted though. He did so many good things and never forced the issue. Theres just a different feeling about Katin, for me personally, hope im wrong, but I dont like the early signs.

Anyone remember Lockett's Senior Day speech btw? He really loved his one season at Marquette.
Yup, he just had TO issues his first few games. 

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2016, 06:57:27 PM »
Lockett embraced the "Glue Guy" role. He was a very important key to our success his year with us.  He was rewarded with a year in the D League which he leveraged into some good money in the European League the last two years. So things have gone well for him. I think if Reinhardt embraced the same role, it would help his career at the next level. Demonstrate that he can be a total player and not just a shooter. 
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2016, 07:59:09 PM »
Good bump, brew. Interesting to read our thoughts re Lockett.

I'm relieved to see that I wasn't too tough on him!

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2016, 09:11:06 PM »
Meh, I don't see much parallel between the two other than being grad transfers.
No Finish Line

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2016, 09:38:18 PM »
That's the point.

The is expectation here is that grad transfers will have an immediate impact, as in game 1, because of their previous experience.  And when they don't, we start hearing calls in late November (Thanksgiving) that they are a bust.

We heard it with Lockett and then Carlino.  We are hearing it again with Katin.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2016, 09:47:58 PM »
But the complaints are different and the players are different. I think the frustrations with Lockett had to do with him finding his role. Reinhart has a whole different set of issues imo
No Finish Line

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2016, 09:49:21 PM »
That's the point.

The is expectation here is that grad transfers will have an immediate impact, as in game 1, because of their previous experience.  And when they don't, we start hearing calls in late November (Thanksgiving) that they are a bust.

So we shouldn't have higher expectations for a grad transfer vs a freshman?

I think the general vibe is disappointment in Katin. He seems to be a chucker/shooter, which is fine, if you're making your shots. Lockett wasn't great, but he excelled in the other areas - rebound, block, defense - outside of shooting that Katin doesn't seem to be as skilled in. If you're a chucker that isn't hitting, you should sit. I don't think that's an unreasonable position.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2016, 09:49:39 PM »
But the complaints are different and the players are different. I think the frustrations with Lockett had to do with him finding his role. Reinhart has a whole different set of issues imo

Beat me to it.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2016, 11:22:20 PM »

I think the problem with Reinhardt is also about finding what role he's suited for, but I'm not sure it's necessarily him finding that role or the staff finding the role for him. I really feel that his skillset overlaps with Cheatham and Johnson, and to a lesser extent Duane and Hauser. It's hard to get him on the court with two others of those four at the same time.

They have to figure out what he does well. He's good at getting behind the defense and cutting to the hoop off the ball. Maybe try to run sets to get him inside. Whether it's just a back door cut or a pick and roll, try to get him moving at the rim and get him the ball on his way in. Hopefully create easy opportunities to gain confidence, and maybe the three point shots will follow.

I agree with the general consensus that last game at least, his three attempts, despite not falling, were mostly good attempts. Only 1 that I recall really felt that rushed. He had space, he had a clean look, you need to put that shot up. He needs to build confidence and find a way to coexist with Haanif and Jajuan.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 11:27:45 PM by brewcity77 »

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2016, 11:24:36 PM »
That's the point.

Carlinos was absolutely absurd though. He was the only reason we won any games that year.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2016, 08:10:56 AM »
I feel pretty good about my posts.    Disappointed in his initial production but optimistic that he would get better.    The interesting thing to me is the prescience about Jamil not becoming the next Jae/Jimmy.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2016, 09:25:50 AM »
I think the problem with Reinhardt is also about finding what role he's suited for, but I'm not sure it's necessarily him finding that role or the staff finding the role for him. I really feel that his skillset overlaps with Cheatham and Johnson, and to a lesser extent Duane and Hauser. It's hard to get him on the court with two others of those four at the same time.

They have to figure out what he does well. He's good at getting behind the defense and cutting to the hoop off the ball. Maybe try to run sets to get him inside. Whether it's just a back door cut or a pick and roll, try to get him moving at the rim and get him the ball on his way in. Hopefully create easy opportunities to gain confidence, and maybe the three point shots will follow.

I agree with the general consensus that last game at least, his three attempts, despite not falling, were mostly good attempts. Only 1 that I recall really felt that rushed. He had space, he had a clean look, you need to put that shot up. He needs to build confidence and find a way to coexist with Haanif and Jajuan.

One set that they've run well is when Reinhardt cuts to the FT line, gets a pass and shoots the 13-to-16 footer. He has made three of those that I remember.