[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[May 01, 2024, 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Mr. Meeseeks Picks Marquette; says, "Can Do!"  (Read 1943 times)

Benny B

• All American
Mr. Meeseeks Picks Marquette; says, "Can Do!"
« on: March 19, 2019, 01:23:48 PM »
Duke and Morty

On a semi-related note, look at Benny A's universe where Zion wasn't injured yet Duke went on to lose three of their last nine games anyway.  You think Duke's getting the top overall seed over there?

Now consider what happened over in Benny C's universe: Zion's shoe busts out, and - out of an abundance of caution - Coach K decides to rest him through the ACC tourney.  At best, Duke goes on to lose to UNC in the semi's and ends the season at 4-4 w/o Zion.  Regardless of whether or not Zion were to return, the committee has to consider those 4 losses as part of the body of work but is going to give some consideration to the team Duke might be if Zion returns, which probably means, at best, Duke is a 2-seed.  But if there's any doubt as to whether or not Zion returns, the Selection Committee may also have to decide whether to employ the Kenyon Martin rule, potentially dropping Duke to a 3-seed (maybe even a 4-seed depending on how they extrapolate the Zionless games).  Regardless, after weeks of 24/7 speculation as to whether Zion hangs it up for the year, the first round begins and guess who's suited up and 100% ready to go...  if you're the 5 or 6 seed in the pod opposite of Duke as a 3 or 4, you're going to be pretty pissed off that you're matching up with a true 1-seed in the second round (let alone the #1 or #2 seed that also has to play Duke in the Sweet 16).

As it turned out in our universe, i.e. Zion's returning as a known commodity, the committee completely ignores Duke's three losses over the past week and awards Duke the overall top seed.

Marquette, C-137

Along a similar theme, Marquette was a Top 10 team before Markus suffered his wrist injury in Philly.  As a result (excuse the pragmatism), MU went on a skid and the committee seeded them accordingly.  But just for a moment, let's look at the difference between Markus's and Zion's injury, specifically, 1) the exponentially greater airtime given to Zion and 2) the fact that Markus played through his.  As a result of #1, I wouldn't be surprised if nobody on the committee was aware of the potential injury to Markus (or the extent), so no consideration or adjustment would be given/made.  Further, #2 means that Kenyon Martin wouldn't apply but would also reiterate no need to consider a scenario where Markus is fully recovered by the first round and even if there was, it's certainly not going to have as much of an effect on seeding as if Markus sat out the last six games of the season (regardless of the outcome).

tl;dr

Since no adjustment can be made for Markus's wrist... not deliberately, but MU may be sandbagging on the presumption that Markus comes back at 100%, or hell, even 50% [yes, I'd still take a 50% Markus over virtually all other (read: not every) D-I players].  The concept is so simple and so universally understood yet most of the pundits can't help but to overlook because a) they don't know of the injury (see #1 above, also: ratings, FS1 vs. ESPN) b) they're assuming he's still going to be hurt and/or c) the distraction of the "5/12 upset folly" (which, statistically, occurs just as often as it's supposed to).

In short, you know who should be pissed because they earned a 4-seed yet may have to play a true 2- or 3-seed in the Second Round?  Bingo... Florida State.  You know who shouldn't be scared: Marquette w/a semi-healthy Markus Howard.

Caveat Emptor -- That said, if Markus's wrist isn't any better than it was this past Friday evening and ends up having another 1 for "Jesus Christ" performance from the field, well... let's just say the silver lining is that no MU fan has to negotiate the fifth ring of hell a/k/a Anaheim.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 01:29:35 PM by Benny B »
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

🏀

• All American
Re: Mr. Meeseeks Picks Marquette; says, "Can Do!"
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 01:44:43 PM »
Existence is pain.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 02:40:00 PM »
Can this be re-written in a news-reel type tone - 1940s-50s?   
Or as Harry Potter fan fiction? 

And how many Benny-verses are there?  Infinite?
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 03:28:01 PM »
Can this be re-written in a news-reel type tone - 1940s-50s?   
Or as Harry Potter fan fiction? 

Mmm, I'm seeing it as more of a One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest meets 2001: A Space Odyssey.
Wes Anderson could direct.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 04:05:05 PM »

Benny is a multiverse all to himself...in addition to the infinite universes he occupies among others.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 04:15:35 PM »
In short, you know who should be pissed because they earned a 4-seed yet may have to play a true 2- or 3-seed in the Second Round?  Bingo... Florida State.  You know who shouldn't be scared: Marquette w/a semi-healthy Markus Howard.

Brother Benny B,

This made my day! I could not agree with you more.

If we're anywhere close to 100 percent, Florida State ought to be pissed. We play as a team, look for the open shot and hit at the season average, and we're going to the Sweet 16!!!! They're going to the one city in Florida no one wants to be in!

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2019, 04:59:44 PM »
Brother Benny B,

This made my day! I could not agree with you more.

If we're anywhere close to 100 percent, Florida State ought to be pissed. We play as a team, look for the open shot and hit at the season average, and we're going to the Sweet 16!!!! They're going to the one city in Florida no one wants to be in!

FSU is going to Palm Beach after we win?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2019, 05:35:00 PM »

It was infinite until recently.  But then there’s Benny JMV’s universe, where everyone is a clone of Jan-Michael Vincent....
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

feedback