[May 09, 2024, 08:12:51 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[May 09, 2024, 04:40:58 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 09, 2024, 02:42:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 09, 2024, 12:49:34 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: BE Championship  (Read 4580 times)

DoctorV

• All American
BE Championship
« on: January 18, 2023, 10:35:22 PM »
I just want to beat the rush.

IF Marquette wins in Joisey on Saturday, they WILL win a BIG EAST CHAMPIONSHIP in Shakas second year.

Don’t @ me

Mu8891

• All American
Re: BE Championship
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2023, 11:07:08 PM »
BET Championship would be great

But I would much rather have wins in the NCAAT

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2023, 11:34:44 PM »
Why can’t we have both?

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2023, 11:40:47 PM »
I just want to beat the rush.

IF Marquette wins in Joisey on Saturday, they WILL win a BIG EAST CHAMPIONSHIP in Shakas second year.

Don’t @ me

@

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2023, 11:50:55 PM »
It's only the current math, but both kenpom and Torvik project us as outright Big East champs.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2023, 11:51:21 PM »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2023, 12:00:12 AM »
After Saturday, I would argue that we've played 7/10  (CREI, @PROV, @NOVA, UCONN, @X, PROV, @Hall) and 9/13 (add HALL and @SJU) of the toughest games in our conference schedule. I think the back half contains the 6 easiest games of the conference season besides GTWN at home. I'd need to check, but I doubt any other team has as soft as second half conference schedule as us.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2023, 12:06:51 AM »
After Saturday, I would argue that we've played 7/10  (CREI, @PROV, @NOVA, UCONN, @X, PROV, @Hall) and 9/13 (add HALL and @SJU) of the toughest games in our conference schedule. I think the back half contains the 6 easiest games of the conference season besides GTWN at home. I'd need to check, but I doubt any other team has as soft as second half conference schedule as us.

Get back to us when you’ve checked.

Soft or not, win in Saturday and start gathering the goods.

Early onions if you will. Enjoy the ride

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2023, 12:07:47 AM »
It's only the current math, but both kenpom and Torvik project us as outright Big East champs.

I always loved math

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2023, 07:59:06 AM »
Get back to us when you’ve checked.

Soft or not, win in Saturday and start gathering the goods.

Early onions if you will. Enjoy the ride

Per Torvik, our remaining conference schedule strength is second to Providence. They already played at MU, Creighton, & SHU while hosting UConn and Hall.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2023, 08:02:32 AM »
I still see 4 more losses.  I don't think 14-6 will do it.   A really good season, but I doubt regular season championship good.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2023, 08:02:54 AM »
I still see 4 more losses.  I don't think 14-6 will do it.   A really good season, but I doubt regular season championship good.

18-2
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2023, 08:04:13 AM »
Not as good as a 20-2 streak.   ;D
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Goose

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2023, 08:10:04 AM »
tower

I am not sure on four more losses, but not out of the question. Last night was a very big win and Saturday is equally as important. Road win against a good team will go a long way. I said earlier this week, I am hoping they get to the 8 win mark in the final 12 in short order and go from there. I am less worried about a bad loss this year than I was a year ago.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2023, 08:16:15 AM »

I love math crunchers, but any system that has UConn at #7 this morning after losing 5 of 6 is not firing on all cylinders.

https://barttorvik.com/team.php?team=Connecticut

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2023, 08:18:15 AM »
Goose, most teams have a couple of outlier road stumbles.  See: Xavier at Depaul.   I assume MU will not be immune to that.  If they are, then they probably win the regular season title.

@ Seton Hall
@ Creighton
@ Uconn
Xavier rematch

I don't think MU loses all of those. But they probably lose a couple.  1 or 2 random road goofs.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 08:23:23 AM by tower912 »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2023, 08:22:28 AM »
Goose, most teams have a couple of outlier road stumbles.  See: Xavier at Depaul.   I assume MU will not be immune to that.  If they are, then they probably win the regular season title.

@ Seton Hall
@ Creighton
@ Uconn
Xavier rematch

I don't think MU lose sall of those. But they probably lose a couple.  1 or 2 random road goofs.

It's a reasonable take. Even a likely outcome. And yet I know that the day of each game, I will believe we will win that day's/night's game. And it won't be a pie-in-the-sky belief, either. It will be a Marquette-is-effen-good belief.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Goose

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2023, 08:25:23 AM »
tower

Those four are obviously the tough ones and we can lose all of them or a game to lower team in the BE. I just think that as a rule that they are much better than the lower teams than they were a year ago. Plus, this team seems to have must win attitude more than last year. I said on Monday that 8-4 or 9-3 was the most likely outcome, but last night was one I thought possibly could slip away. At this point I think it is game to game and see how it plays out.

That said, I think winning the BE will be a very difficult task. I still think Creighton will make a lot of noise and X is very good, even with the loss last night.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 08:27:07 AM by Goose »

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2023, 09:31:14 AM »

For one thing, Xavier has played none of its road games against MU, PC, Creighton, or UConn, and hasn’t played PC at all.

That having been said, results of the last few days have highlighted that there are no sure things, especially on the road. Home teams in BE games so far this year have won 31 of 46. That rate is significantly higher than it has been over the last several years.

I still see 14-6 as a target landing spot for this MU team. I’ll reevaluate that if they can cap off this challenging week and a half with a road win over a more than capable Seton Hall team.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2023, 09:37:29 AM »
For one thing, Xavier has played none of its road games against MU, PC, Creighton, or UConn, and hasn’t played PC at all.

That having been said, results of the last few days have highlighted that there are no sure things, especially on the road. Home teams in BE games so far this year have won 31 of 46. That rate is significantly higher than it has been over the last several years.

I still see 14-6 as a target landing spot for this MU team. I’ll reevaluate that if they can cap off this challenging week and a half with a road win over a more than capable Seton Hall team.

X fans were afraid of their away gauntlet when talking with them last Sunday.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2023, 09:48:55 AM »
X fans were afraid of their away gauntlet when talking with them last Sunday.

They obviously had reason to be afraid.

Especially of their Feb. 15 date.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2023, 09:49:34 AM »
I love math crunchers, but any system that has UConn at #7 this morning after losing 5 of 6 is not firing on all cylinders.

https://barttorvik.com/team.php?team=Connecticut

Disagree because those take the whole of the season equally. UConn won their first 13 by double digits. That weights heavier than what they've done in their last 6.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2023, 11:26:24 AM »
Disagree because those take the whole of the season equally. UConn won their first 13 by double digits. That weights heavier than what they've done in their last 6.

Those games are the equivalent of 500 basketball seasons ago! 

That's before the game was invented.  Heck, the internet wasn't even invented when they played those games.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2023, 11:58:46 AM »
18-2
No chance to get the double OT loss @ Prov reversed?

COLE
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2023, 10:42:37 PM »
Bump.

In before the lock.
 8-)

Personal story time as we get warmed up to the reality that one of these might be a possibility…

In 2013 on a Saturday afternoon in March I rushed out of the office to the nearest BDubs to watch Vander Blue score a game winning basket that would give Marquette its first, and only, BE title.

I sat at that BDubs, solo amongst a crowd of less than 25, with tears in my eyes.

Thank you Vander Blue, Buzz Williams, and the entire 2012/13 squad.

10 years later, lets go now!