collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NBA Life wasnt always Seashells and Balloons  (Read 1545 times)

HouWarrior

• All American
NBA Life wasnt always Seashells and Balloons
« on: July 13, 2017, 11:45:35 AM »
James Harden here signed the biggest contract in NBA history. He and his fellow NBAers now enjoy a relatively pampered life of multi millionaires.

Private jets, and private team owned practice facilities, with all the amenities, etc

In response....recently...My brother noted to me how far these matters have progressed during our time.

In the early 70s....While my bro was on a work/study job and attending  Concordia College at its old site (11-acre site, between W. Kilbourn Ave. and W. Highland Blvd., and N. 31st and N. 33rd streets, )......his maintenance job included a unique perk.

He had the keys to the Concordia Gym and had to open up the building almost daily for an expansion NBA club to practice. The Bucks...Lew Alcindor, Oscar Robertson,  et al would change clothes, practice and workout for hours at the old Concordia Gym. My bro often snuck me inside and.....I enjoyed glorious afternoons watching Larry Costello and Hubie Brown run drills of these NBA stars in the unairconditioned creaky old home of the Concordia Falcons. Wind sprints, free throws, passing drills, some 5 on 5 etc. Dick Cunningham trying to guard Lew was laughable. BTW, when the others stopped for a "bubbler break" (Milw lingo--lol)...the Big O almost always just kept practicing, full speed...incredibly dedicated to his craft.

Here is a 72-3 team photo taken in the Concordia Gym. See how many you can name

Update : the former Concordia gymnasium, 3126 W. Kilbourn Ave., now known as the Tthigwe ("Thunderbird") Building, is one of many buildings the Potawatomi tribe is using and redeveloping on the old campus:

http://archive.jsonline.com/business/former-concordia-campus-will-be-converted-for-urban-indian-culture-b99763719z1-388024052.html
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 12:08:13 PM by houwarrior »
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Skitch

• All American
Re: NBA Life wasnt always Seashells and Balloons
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 01:37:15 PM »
Besides the obvious two the only other one I recognize is Mr. Buck himself, John McGlocklin. Granted this was a little before my time.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 01:56:46 PM »
Besides the obvious two the only other one I recognize is Mr. Buck himself, John McGlocklin. Granted this was a little before my time.

Being a kid in CT at the time the only NBA basketball you saw was the Sunday afternoon game of the week, which always had at least one the Bucks, the Lakers, the Knicks or the Celtics on, it seemed to me.

I could pick out the Bucks best players (at least they were the best to my 10-11 year old self), Lucius Allen 42, Bobby Dandridge 10, Kareem and Oscar.  I remember McGlocklin, but I couldn't tell by the picture which guy he was.  I was a Lakers fan (loved Wilt and Jerry West at the time) so I hated the Bucks back then.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 02:49:42 PM »
Answer (after you've tried IDing photo without help):

First Row L to R:
14 John McGlocklin
10 Bob Dandridge
33 Lew Alcindor
1 Oscar Robertson
42 Lucius Allen
18 Curtis Perry
Head Coach Larry Costello

Back Row L to R:
Asst Coach Hubie Brown
21 Russell Lee
31 Chuck Terry
34 Dick Cunningham
20 Mickey Davis
7 Terry Driscoll
Trainer Arnie Garber

This 72-3 team was a drop off .....only winning 60 games after 66(NBA Champ) and 63 win seasons in 70-71 and 71-2, respectively

...and lost to GS in the first round

yes...there was a time when the Bucks actually won 60 plus per season

MU was pretty good back then ,too...but they had their own Gym in which to practice
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 02:51:44 PM by houwarrior »
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 04:05:41 PM »
Two many traditionals on dat team ta bee any good, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 07:43:29 PM »
great story houston!  good memories all around!  did you ever get to meet eddie doucette?  just wondering if he ever stumbled in to practice just to shoot the chit standing around the "cyclops".   one of the most under rated radio guys ever.  next to losing jabbar, losing eddie was a real bummer
don't...don't don't don't don't

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2017, 07:47:07 PM »
Two many traditionals on dat team ta bee any good, ai na?

cuz they couldn't jump?  saw whatcha did there-brought back some memories of the good ole days-heyn'er?

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2017, 07:09:11 PM »
great story houston!  good memories all around!  did you ever get to meet eddie doucette?  just wondering if he ever stumbled in to practice just to shoot the chit standing around the "cyclops".   one of the most under rated radio guys ever.  next to losing jabbar, losing eddie was a real bummer
No...but its surprising how many in his business knew of Eddie and respected him. Jim Foley (former MU SID) worked color here with NBA Rockets for decades and he would speak of Eddie on local game broadcasts ...and at times Jim would talk of him at Houston MU alum club gatherings. Also...My Bro worked at 2 local stations here...I'd chat fondly of Doucette with local sportscasters CBS' Dan Patrick (now the Texas Lt. Gov.) and NBC's Ron Franklin (now does lots of ESPN college football playcalls) ....both knew well of Eddie and respected his work.

All of us remember Eddie ......and later on Al McGuire..... contributing to the lexicon of BB play calling (other past threads have covered this area). I miss them both

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2017, 07:59:14 PM »
Eddie's not dead yet, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2017, 08:05:54 PM »
Eddie's not dead yet, hey?

freddy is dead...that's what they said ;)

feedback