[Today at 12:46:07 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 12:40:54 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 12:35:28 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 11:23:04 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Matt Heldt & Nick Noskowiak  (Read 16461 times)

MUfan12

• All American
Re: Matt Heldt & Nick Noskowiak
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2015, 11:37:55 AM »
This thread is about Heldt and Noskowiak, and Ners launches into a diatribe about JJJ.

Up next, "Deonte Burton: Future Lottery Pick and Perennial All-Star."

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2015, 11:40:30 AM »
This thread is about Heldt and Noskowiak, and Ners launches into a diatribe about JJJ.

All Big East Freshman team.  Get it right.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2015, 11:41:05 AM »
I think Heldt's biggest problem early on will be defending.

UW redshirts guys almost every year....I'm not saying Wojo will do it but Heldt has already said he is open to the possibility.

Clearly it all depends on if we get somebody else who can give us backup minutes at the 5.....would have to be a JC or grad transfer type in all likelihood.

I am not aware of anyone who we are currently recruiting who fits that description so unless that changes it will be Heldt.

I do expect Wojo will add at least 1 JC player for next year.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2015, 11:45:50 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6HeN1hHvNc

Obviously it's hard to take much away from a highlight video but I do like that Heldt is very quick with his moves and decision makings and that he keeps the ball high in the post.  He won't be an above the rim big but he finishes well around the basket.  Not quick, not athletic, but fundamentally sound.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2015, 11:57:43 AM »

Why in God's name was Sandy Cohen brought up in this thread - it's about Nick and Heldt?  Take it up with Sultan.  

Give me a break.  Find something else to bitch about.  But please, for the rest of time moving forward - don't EVER make a post in a thread about anything OTHER than what the thread topic is started for.  I'll do my best to try to "police" you - maybe even for the first time in my history - "report to moderator."  LOL.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2015, 12:02:25 PM »
I'll do my best to try to "police" you - maybe even for the first time in my history - "report to moderator."  LOL.

Oh, please do.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2015, 12:11:26 PM »
Oh, please do.

"Oh" Will do.  Any reason you had no comment for Sultan derailing the thread into a discussion about Sandy Cohen?

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2015, 12:20:40 PM »
I was defending the notion that Heldt going to Neenah shouldn't be seen as a detriment by offering an example how a kid from a high school outside of the "traditional" recruiting hotbeds can make an immediate impact on a college basketball team. 

I brought up AAU as an example of how kids are exposed year round to playing against high quality competition.  It had nothing to do with recruiting rankings.

Simple stuff if it is read correctly.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2015, 12:20:52 PM »
I've always thought the redshirt is widely underutilized in college basketball. In theory, teams should have 13 scholarship players. I don't think I've ever seen a coach consistently use more than a 10 man rotation. If players 11, 12, and 13 aren't going to play significant roles this season, why not redshirt them? They may be the 11-13th best player right now, but as fifth year seniors they could end being the star of the team. They could still practice with the team, so they are developing at roughly the same rate and they are helping the other players by practicing against them in practice. And if the worst happens, and you have a ton of injuries and you need to utilize a redshirt player, you are allowed to do that. They lose their redshirt but it's not like once you declare them a redshirt that you must keep them on the bench. There's also a ton of research that shows that athletes that redshirt their freshman season tend to perform much better in the classroom and off the court.

That being said, I can understand why players don't want to redshirt and how being a redshirt heavy university could negatively impact recruiting. I don't think either Nick or Matt will be redshirtted. I don't think it would be wise, unless Wojo finds some studs in the transfer/juco ranks.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2015, 01:54:22 PM »
I've always thought the redshirt is widely underutilized in college basketball. In theory, teams should have 13 scholarship players.

I agree, but I think the modern culture is part of it. There's so much more attention between Twitter, FaceBook, and all the recruiting sites that kids get it in their mind they're all going to be a star. Numerous handlers in everyone's ear saying they should be playing now and that they're better than the people ahead of them. Leads to transfers and has people not wanting to redshirt because they feel they deserve that chance immediately.

Bo has done a great job of bringing in guys willing to wait and develop, whether it's just waiting their turn or taking a year off to develop their bodies and skillsets before getting on the court. I would love it if Wojo can eventually do the same. I think a ton of kids would benefit from the conditioning and practice at a D1 program without the immediate pressure to perform. Unfortunately, many just don't want that.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2015, 02:20:49 PM »
I agree, but I think the modern culture is part of it. There's so much more attention between Twitter, FaceBook, and all the recruiting sites that kids get it in their mind they're all going to be a star. Numerous handlers in everyone's ear saying they should be playing now and that they're better than the people ahead of them. Leads to transfers and has people not wanting to redshirt because they feel they deserve that chance immediately.

Bo has done a great job of bringing in guys willing to wait and develop, whether it's just waiting their turn or taking a year off to develop their bodies and skillsets before getting on the court. I would love it if Wojo can eventually do the same. I think a ton of kids would benefit from the conditioning and practice at a D1 program without the immediate pressure to perform. Unfortunately, many just don't want that.

Actually a good solution would be to take 1 or 2 transfers per year (they obviously have to redshirt).

It creates a shorter rotation, which is fine, and then MU gets the advantage of getting a more developed player.

I don't expect Wally to be a world-beater, but I would bet that he can be pretty solid. Jake took some heat around here, but he was pretty solid last year. There are minutes on good teams for those type of guys... especially as seniors.

Shark

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2015, 03:46:04 PM »
"Oh" Will do.  Any reason you had no comment for Sultan derailing the thread into a discussion about Sandy Cohen?

The problem is you ONLY talk about like 3 things in every thread. Whereas one person bringing up Cohen to dispel an insult was appropriate. You seem to plug in your theory in every thread.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 03:49:58 PM by MarkusSharkus »

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2015, 11:49:48 PM »
I've always thought the redshirt is widely underutilized in college basketball. In theory, teams should have 13 scholarship players. I don't think I've ever seen a coach consistently use more than a 10 man rotation. If players 11, 12, and 13 aren't going to play significant roles this season, why not redshirt them? They may be the 11-13th best player right now, but as fifth year seniors they could end being the star of the team. They could still practice with the team, so they are developing at roughly the same rate and they are helping the other players by practicing against them in practice. And if the worst happens, and you have a ton of injuries and you need to utilize a redshirt player, you are allowed to do that. They lose their redshirt but it's not like once you declare them a redshirt that you must keep them on the bench. There's also a ton of research that shows that athletes that redshirt their freshman season tend to perform much better in the classroom and off the court.

That being said, I can understand why players don't want to redshirt and how being a redshirt heavy university could negatively impact recruiting. I don't think either Nick or Matt will be redshirtted. I don't think it would be wise, unless Wojo finds some studs in the transfer/juco ranks.
It would be in everyone's best interest that Nick red shirted. Let him get a good start to college academically and work on his game with no pressure.

oshkoshbgosh

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2015, 07:28:58 AM »
Heldt scored 35 against a good Oshkosh North team last night. Most were down low, but he did hit a few jump shots, including one 3. Flory was the high scorer for North with 16.

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2015, 08:36:59 AM »
I'm trying to decide which myth I see more, "This freshman should redshirt" or "I heard these two recruits are a package deal"

Both are very rare

Package deal never really happens unless it is siblings.   

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2015, 08:48:06 AM »
Actually a good solution would be to take 1 or 2 transfers per year (they obviously have to redshirt).

It creates a shorter rotation, which is fine, and then MU gets the advantage of getting a more developed player.

I don't expect Wally to be a world-beater, but I would bet that he can be pretty solid. Jake took some heat around here, but he was pretty solid last year. There are minutes on good teams for those type of guys... especially as seniors.

Seems like a good strategy to me.  Players 12 and 13 never play anyway.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2015, 11:42:15 AM »

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2015, 01:10:35 PM »
or if their names are Tyus Jones and Jahlil Okafor....http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24631203/package-deals-are-harder-to-execute-than-okafor-and-jones-made-it-look
Oh it does happen, but rarely. Last package deal for MU that I recall was Trotter and Lazaretti from Omaha Creighton Prep. And they were not siblings. In fact Trotter's brother played for that team and was not offered.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2015, 01:25:25 PM »
Willie--did you go to Prep?
If so, did you play bball?
Do you have any Coach Wilmot stories?

feedback