[Today at 02:58:54 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:42:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:49:34 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[May 08, 2024, 01:39:16 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2024 Transfer Portal  (Read 200973 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: 2024 Transfer Portal
« Reply #325 on: March 26, 2024, 05:15:20 PM »
Field of 68 talked about it yesterday with McDermott how insanely unfair it is. Hes preparing for a game while other teams hit the portal

Bluebloods can make up the lost time

But programs like Creighton(and MU should we choose to use the portal) are on a more even level with a lot of teams that are done playing, but cant focus on the reload they can.

Is there a reason why assistant coaches can't handle the portal?  Especially when you see teams with like 10 of them on their bench?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #326 on: March 26, 2024, 05:15:54 PM »
Is there a reason why assistant coaches can't handle the portal?  Especially when you see teams with like 10 of them on their bench?

They shouldn't have to. Their team is still playing.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #327 on: March 26, 2024, 05:29:12 PM »
Opening the portal the day after championship game is such an easy solution but I suppose that's too obvious and logical. 

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #328 on: March 26, 2024, 05:36:01 PM »
The theory is that players who want to transfer, not to mention coaches, aren’t going to wait three weeks to talk to one another. May as well open it up.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #329 on: March 26, 2024, 05:38:36 PM »
The theory is that players who want to transfer, not to mention coaches, aren’t going to wait three weeks to talk to one another. May as well open it up.

Make them join the army if they do
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #330 on: March 26, 2024, 06:00:19 PM »

Main reason would be that the season going on is still everyones main priority.

I could also imagine there could be a little keep the team focused thing. You start hitting the portal hard while playing for a elite 8/final 4 and some guys make over think being recruited over and a bunch of unnecessary stuff

It should just be put off until tuesday after the championship its so easy
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #331 on: March 26, 2024, 06:08:21 PM »
Main reason would be that the season going on is still everyones main priority.

I could also imagine there could be a little keep the team focused thing. You start hitting the portal hard while playing for a elite 8/final 4 and some guys make over think being recruited over and a bunch of unnecessary stuff

It should just be put off until tuesday after the championship its so easy

I guess.  Truth be told both the portal and NIL have a lot of things about that bother me. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #332 on: March 26, 2024, 06:08:37 PM »

The job requires total focus, total commitment, take no prisoners attitude.     As you always say.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #333 on: March 26, 2024, 06:19:25 PM »
The job requires total focus, total commitment, take no prisoners attitude.     As you always say.

Fair enough.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #334 on: March 26, 2024, 06:25:11 PM »
Who cares about the portal?

Honestly, I used to get so excited about the portal and about potential transfers- mainly because Shaka hit a grand slam with his first class that featured Tyler and Omax, partly because I knew he was a great recruiter.

Now, I’m excited as heck to not ever have to worry about the portal. Shaka doesn’t need it, and he will use it very sporadically when he has the need.
We don’t need to follow it, thank goodness.

That portal is a crapshoot anyway.
Dickinson was the portal darling this past offseason. He was good, but typically elite Kansas was not.
There was a Khalifa kid that was a prize get in the portal a few years ago and I saw him running up the court on some team the other night and thought to myself sweet Jesus.
Arkansas and coach Muss, who got the Martin twins to Nevada for an elite run, brings in a ton of guys yearly and look at them this year…
Sure, plenty of BE teams made their teams whole and competitive using the portal, and UConn used it to perfection to reload and be elite again, but it’s a crapshoot.

We’ve got the system in place, the talent in place, and we have no choice but to trust the guy in place to cherry pick and chose from the portal to compliment what he needs for another S16 and beyond run.
That’s what the portal is for with regards to Marquette

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #335 on: March 26, 2024, 08:31:42 PM »
Who cares about the portal?

Honestly, I used to get so excited about the portal and about potential transfers- mainly because Shaka hit a grand slam with his first class that featured Tyler and Omax, partly because I knew he was a great recruiter.

Now, I’m excited as heck to not ever have to worry about the portal. Shaka doesn’t need it, and he will use it very sporadically when he has the need.
We don’t need to follow it, thank goodness.

I am much more concerned about this coming weekend than the portal.  But looking at next year's roster and the potential departure of far and away our best three players, I would think the portal is very much in play this offseason unless Shaka is fine with a very significant step back.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #336 on: March 26, 2024, 09:03:42 PM »
I am much more concerned about this coming weekend than the portal.  But looking at next year's roster and the potential departure of far and away our best three players, I would think the portal is very much in play this offseason unless Shaka is fine with a very significant step back.

If they all go, it will mean that Marquette has made the FF imo.

If Marquette makes the FF, Shaka will easily get 1-2 guys to make the team bid competitive for next season.

Tre, Stevie, Chase, Jop, Benny with SJ22 coming back, one or both of the frosh contributing, one or both of Al and/or Caedin as depth, would still make Marquette a top 60 KenPom team imo.

Shaka then would bring in 1-2 guys and reload because of the unexpected tripartite exit.
Marquette will be fine if they make the Final 4 and the big 3 head to the next level.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #337 on: March 26, 2024, 09:10:24 PM »
If they all go, it will mean that Marquette has made the FF imo.

If Marquette makes the FF, Shaka will easily get 1-2 guys to make the team bid competitive for next season.

Tre, Stevie, Chase, Jop, Benny with SJ22 coming back, one or both of the frosh contributing, one or both of Al and/or Caedin as depth, would still make Marquette a top 60 KenPom team imo.

Shaka then would bring in 1-2 guys and reload because of the unexpected tripartite exit.
Marquette will be fine if they make the Final 4 and the big 3 head to the next level.

There was some chatter about Sean Jones not really being in the mix next year due to his rehab. Have you heard otherwise?

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #338 on: March 26, 2024, 09:16:31 PM »
There was some chatter about Sean Jones not really being in the mix next year due to his rehab. Have you heard otherwise?

Have not, but as this Tyler injury shows there’s no sense to speculate over injuries.

SJ22 will be back in 2025. Will he be back in 2024 to start the season? I’d guess no, but sometimes that injury has shown in certain elite athletes, of which he is one, that it heals quicker.

Worst case scenario he’s ready as an elite option for the heart of the BE season, assuming recovery is normal

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #339 on: March 26, 2024, 09:21:56 PM »
Have not, but as this Tyler injury shows there’s no sense to speculate over injuries.

SJ22 will be back in 2025. Will he be back in 2024 to start the season? I’d guess no, but sometimes that injury has shown in certain elite athletes, of which he is one, that it heals quicker.

Worst case scenario he’s ready as an elite option for the heart of the BE season, assuming recovery is normal

Its been reported here by many people with good intel that optimism is not strong for SJ to play at all next year

And Tylers injury is completely irrelevent. A 3-4 week injury where it was always said hed be back is much different than a shredded knee that takes a full year at best to heal.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #340 on: March 26, 2024, 09:23:03 PM »
I might be totally wrong on this because (knock on wood) I’ve never had a serious knee injury. But seems like if it’s “just” an ACL tear people are back walking without crutches pretty quickly. The rehab sucks and is usually about a full year, but you can get back to walking within a couple weeks of surgery I thought.

The fact that Sean is still using a crutch makes me think it was more than just his ACL. And it happened in late January I think? Feels like he’ll be coming back mid season at best, and at that point how long does it take to get up to speed? Might as well use the redshirt year and have 2 years left to play.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #341 on: March 26, 2024, 10:51:12 PM »

I'm guessing that by now Shaka already expects - as in knows - that 2 of the 3 are leaving. And the way Kam has played the last month, a third leaving wouldn't be all that unexpected to him, either. He knows how the game is played.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #342 on: March 26, 2024, 10:56:21 PM »
I'm guessing that by now Shaka already expects - as in knows - that 2 of the 3 are leaving. And the way Kam has played the last month, a third leaving wouldn't be all that unexpected to him, either. He knows how the game is played.

Yea I’m sure he’s braced for the 2 leaving, but I’m not so sure he expects Kam to leave.

That’s a potential BEPOY and All American candidate guard that would be leaving, so quite the shift.

Now, just imagine, if both Tyler and Kam return…

MU82

• All American
« Reply #343 on: March 26, 2024, 10:59:23 PM »
Yea I’m sure he’s braced for the 2 leaving, but I’m not so sure he expects Kam to leave.

That’s a potential BEPOY and All American candidate guard that would be leaving, so quite the shift.

Sure. And maybe OMax comes back, too!

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #344 on: March 26, 2024, 11:04:19 PM »

Ill personally smack TK upside the head until he gets some sense if he tries to return. Its not happening. This is his last ride, then we see him in the NBA next year.

Kam I think returns. Mocks only have him late second round at best. Would be quite non guaranteed move. He can return and showcase as an alpha and sky rocket.

I think he finishes it out with Stevie(and Jop)

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #345 on: March 26, 2024, 11:15:09 PM »
I know, I get it.

I’m pretty sure that OMax couldn’t make 1 million bucks in NIL though.

I’m also pretty sure that OMax couldn’t solidify himself as one of the best point guards (or forwards in Olivier’s case) in both Marquette and NCAA history if he would have returned.

Tyler hasn’t said he’s gone for a reason. There’s still a higher likelihood that he goes than not, because he is playing himself into an NBA first rounder, but the landscape has changed.

He’s already a professional in this new era of college basketball.
He can leave a lasting image in his life and career whether he stays or goes.
He will make a lot of money whether he stays or goes, but likely much more if he goes.

4 years ago it would be a no brainer, this day and age it seems like a no brainer but when you’re in a good position either way, sometimes you just never know.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #346 on: March 26, 2024, 11:17:07 PM »

Kam I think returns. Mocks only have him late second round at best. Would be quite non guaranteed move. He can return and showcase as an alpha and sky rocket.

I think he finishes it out with Stevie(and Jop)

That wouldn't surprise me at all. As I've said before, I think Kam would benefit from getting to play a good amount of PG next season. And like the rest of us, selfishly, I'd love for Kam to return.

But you just never know with these decisions. College athletes have a lot of people talking to them.

I know, I get it.

I’m pretty sure that OMax couldn’t make 1 million bucks in NIL though.

I’m also pretty sure that OMax couldn’t solidify himself as one of the best point guards (or forwards in Olivier’s case) in both Marquette and NCAA history if he would have returned.

Tyler hasn’t said he’s gone for a reason. There’s still a higher likelihood that he goes than not, because he is playing himself into an NBA first rounder, but the landscape has changed.

He’s already a professional in this new era of college basketball.
He can leave a lasting image in his life and career whether he stays or goes.
He will make a lot of money whether he stays or goes, but likely much more if he goes.

4 years ago it would be a no brainer, this day and age it seems like a no brainer but when you’re in a good position either way, sometimes you just never know.

You're projecting your hopes into TK's mind, and that's OK. It won't bring him back for another year, but it's OK.

Enjoy these last 4 games.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #347 on: March 26, 2024, 11:22:59 PM »
That wouldn't surprise me at all. As I've said before, I think Kam would benefit from getting to play a good amount of PG next season. And like the rest of us, selfishly, I'd love for Kam to return.

But you just never know with these decisions. College athletes have a lot of people talking to them.

Forgot to say, my other reason for Kam returning imo is Oso and especially TK being gone means he becames the clear cut NIL focus a lot he can make in deals. And we already do really well from a team inventory sales stand point, win a couple more this week and that should keep boosting.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #348 on: March 26, 2024, 11:40:02 PM »
This is the last I’ll post of this until after Marquettes trip to the final 4 because none of it is the focus right now-

A guy that works with Kam and Tyler has been working hard to secure NIL commitments from both in the last month.

This isn’t insider info either- Tyler just released a new clothing NIL commercial within the last few weeks.

Maybe I’m projecting my hopes, but it would seem odd to me that someone that’s a few months from a career in the NBA is looking into and securing new NIL deals.
It’s a new landscape, and every dollar counts, but that’s just my two cents on it.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #349 on: March 26, 2024, 11:46:33 PM »
You’re allowed to have those kind of deals in the nba. Ask Mike.

feedback