[Today at 11:51:36 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by DoctorV
[Today at 11:33:38 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by MUbiz
[Today at 05:59:48 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[Today at 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Cubi deserves some props  (Read 2923 times)

MUfan12

• All American
Cubi deserves some props
« on: February 06, 2010, 01:37:35 PM »
He played unbelievable defense on Curry on the last possession. Got through a couple screens and denied him the ball. Curry was clearly the first option on that set and the play blew up because Cubi was in his shorts.

Another road game, another heart attack. I'll take it!

NersEllenson

• All American
Re: Cubi deserves some props
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 01:41:38 PM »
Cubi played a very good game today.  His confidence may be at an all-time high.  I was a little surprised to see him take the 3 when they were up 1 with 18 seconds left..shot clock probably was winding down, but that was a long 3...but shows his confidence is high..to take a crucial, end of game shot.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

jaygall31

• Team Captain
  • Just get shots up...Turnovers are what KILL you.
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 01:42:05 PM »
i think cubi played a great overall game, took some balls to take that deep 3 though, thank god we got the offensive rebound.
It's not about ME,
It's about US.

MauraDay

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 01:42:25 PM »
+1

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 01:43:07 PM »
was the man we saw today cubillan or cubillion?  I saw him hit threes and make a sweet and one layup.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 02:11:41 PM »
I agreed with this sentiment until with about 15 seconds left, dribbling and drifting to his left, he shot a pull-up 3.    However, is defense on PC's final posession was superb, redeeming him somewhat.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 02:16:06 PM »
I agreed with this sentiment until with about 15 seconds left, dribbling and drifting to his left, he shot a pull-up 3.    However, is defense on PC's final posession was superb, redeeming him somewhat.

Buzz said something to the effect that .. the play was drawn up with 3 options, Cubi chucking a 3 wasn't one of them.  Asked why Cubi shot it, he said to coach "I was going to make it."

Not so much.  Had we not gotten the rebound, PC would have had the ball down 1 and the last shot, could have had a deja vu (times 4) loss, easily.

Everyone wants to be a hero.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 02:33:47 PM »
I agree with the implication that Cubi's solid play today could've gone out the window with the 3-pointer near the end. I don't believe the shot clock had anything to do with. Yes, if had hit it, it would've been a dagger, but had Hayward not gotten the rebound, it could've been as bad as some games earlier in the season. Regardless of how he felt, that was a bad shot, especially if he was not one of the first 3 options on such a critical play. Good game overall, bad choice on that shot.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2010, 02:34:48 PM »
Splitting hairs...but to make that mistake w/13 seconds left takes away from his game, making it good, but not great. BUT...the measure of a guy is how he comes back from his mistake and his D on Curry was rock solid there at the end.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2010, 02:38:53 PM »
I'm sure Cubes was thinking, "If I take this three, miss it, and the Friars pull out this game, I can get a haircut!"
SS Marquette

wojosdojo

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2010, 02:41:42 PM »
I don't know if I woulda wanted cube taken that shot but hey I like seeing him confident... he's a good good 3 pt shooter when he's open.. I wish jimmy was more confident in his shot (which he was on that clutch 3) and ever fulce has some range. I think their jjust going to get more confident with these wins. Its great to see them playing like this when people have doubted us all along

mug644

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2010, 02:44:25 PM »
Good point, while that shot took away from his overall game, his D at the end added it right back.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2010, 03:08:19 PM »
He played unbelievable defense on Curry on the last possession. Got through a couple screens and denied him the ball. Curry was clearly the first option on that set and the play blew up because Cubi was in his shorts.

Another road game, another heart attack. I'll take it!

absolutely.  they were trying to run a similar play to the one they ran at the 1 minute mark...a double screen/picket fence for Curry to put him at the top of the key.  Cubillan flew threw those picks and cut him off.  council was stuck taking a tough shot because i think curry was options 1-3.  good win. 

was a bad shot by cubillan, though.  clock was winding down, but dribble and kick had been working all game and they had time to do that and get a better shot.  good to have a little luck on our side for a change.