[Today at 11:36:18 AM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 11:23:04 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[Today at 08:37:46 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: One Shining Moment  (Read 4071 times)

Sweenz

• Scholarship Player
One Shining Moment
« on: April 07, 2008, 11:18:23 PM »
Barro got some love when he was on the bench cheering on the team.

🏀

• All American
Re: One Shining Moment
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 11:19:40 PM »
No shining moments for Bo Ryan's squad.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 11:19:52 PM »
also showed us in defeat.... man that hurt to watch....

however love the Barro love.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 11:20:20 PM »
I say this every year, the original version of that song is much better than the Vandross version.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 11:20:27 PM »

there was quite a few...

one of Hughes making a difficult layup....

then the rest were of Curry lighting them up  ;D
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

Marquette_TEE

• Walk-On
  • Breeding MU Fans...
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 11:20:57 PM »
That clip made me remember how much I still hate the Lopez brothers.
Bleed Marquette Blue & Gold!
We Are Marquette!

🏀

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 11:22:11 PM »

there was quite a few...

Are you sure? I was looking for Wisconsin, and didn't see Hughes. Just them getting lit up by Curry.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 11:23:29 PM »

there was quite a few...

Are you sure? I was looking for Wisconsin, and didn't see Hughes. Just them getting lit up by Curry.

they showed a couple tough layups in a row... one was Hughes. 

really wish they would have had some Marquette doing well on the court.. although Barro on the bench cheering is great to see, I am really going to miss him as a player.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 10:28:30 AM »
If anyone has this on tape, I suggest slowing down the first MU clip.  I initially focused on Barro with his arms going up in the air but on viewing it a second time, Cube cracked me up.  He grabs Barone by the jaw, kisses his cheek and pushes him away all in a matter of seconds.  Hilarious!

The second MU clip was so disheartening seeing that shot and Barro's reaction.

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 10:58:52 AM »
I really despise "One shining moment."  Just have the trophy presentation and be done with it.
WAAAAY to Hallmark card sap-fest for me. 

MU NY

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2008, 11:22:23 AM »
One sappy moment...sounds like the themesong to a bad sitcom starring whacky Bob Sagett.

Wade for President

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2008, 11:49:20 AM »
I really despise "One shining moment."  Just have the trophy presentation and be done with it.
WAAAAY to Hallmark card sap-fest for me. 

Dude...One Shining Moment is arguably the greatest thing of college basketball.  Get goosebumps EVERY single year.  Love it.

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2008, 01:18:00 PM »
It SUCKS.  Period.  The best part of CBB are the games, not some highlights set to song. 
I turned the channel to ESPN immediately after the trophy.  I don't want to see sappy ass highlights set to crappy elevator music.  No thank you.

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2008, 03:52:40 PM »
Absolutely agree. I really do not understand why some people seem to go half-mast every year for One Shining Moment, and now CBS has it as their big attraction. It's sappy, schmaltzy,  just corny. I'm all for montages. I personally think they're sweet.

But if One Shining Moment were not set to college basketball highlights, it would be at best some lounge singer's recollection of a basketball game he went to.
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

MUWarrior06

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2008, 04:02:10 PM »
okay sweenz!

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2008, 04:22:56 PM »
I personally feel One Shining Moment is needed.  People need to remember, that these guys are amateurs put on a professional stage.  These kids, for a lot of them, won't play in the NBA, if any league.  For a lot of them, this is it, and as cliche as it sounds, their "one shining moment".  It is a good way to recap the memories from 3-4 weeks of the greatest thing in sports.

Knight Commission

• All American
Montage
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2008, 05:14:50 PM »
Absolutely agree. I really do not understand why some people seem to go half-mast every year for One Shining Moment, and now CBS has it as their big attraction. It's sappy, schmaltzy,  just corny. I'm all for montages. I personally think they're sweet.

But if One Shining Moment were not set to college basketball highlights, it would be at best some lounge singer's recollection of a basketball game he went to.

Agreed. But CBS should go back to what worked best.

Before that song, in the 80"s CBS used the montage well to pop song's like Eddie Money's  "One Ticket to Paradise" I much preferred that. 

Ill never forget sitting in McCormick Hall in '88 watching the Oklahoma v Kansas final, awaiting the montage when the lame Milwaukee local CBS affiliate cut away (right after the last basket) to show a piece on the HS team led by incoming MU recruit Joe Krysiak. 

Not only was I pissed that I missed the CBS postgame with that piece, but I was even more sickened that our best recruit after a 10 win season was that stiff (although probably a nice guy).

romey

• All American
Re: Montage
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2008, 07:48:24 PM »

Agreed. But CBS should go back to what worked best.

Before that song, in the 80"s CBS used the montage well to pop song's like Eddie Money's  "One Ticket to Paradise" I much preferred that. 

Ill never forget sitting in McCormick Hall in '88 watching the Oklahoma v Kansas final, awaiting the montage when the lame Milwaukee local CBS affiliate cut away (right after the last basket) to show a piece on the HS team led by incoming MU recruit Joe Krysiak. 

Not only was I pissed that I missed the CBS postgame with that piece, but I was even more sickened that our best recruit after a 10 win season was that stiff (although probably a nice guy).

Except Eddie sang "TWO Tickets to Paradise" ;)

BaltimoreMC

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2008, 08:13:47 PM »
I'm very embarrassed to admit this, but I actually NEED to see "One Shining Moment" after the championchip game.  It kind of gives me closure on the season.  The tournament is a "B".  Everyone ends with a loss (except for the champ) - so I'm always in some sort of bittersweet mood.  I always wonder what I'm gonna do w/ my time now that there is no Marquette Basketball/College Basketball to obsess over.  Guess I'll have to go back to "being productive at work" or "paying attention to my wife and kids".  Uhgggg - how long until midnight madness????

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2008, 08:28:36 PM »
The one shining moment perhaps referred to all the time the Memphis players went to class since Midnight Madness.

Sweenz

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2008, 12:27:50 AM »
okay sweenz!

OK RO!!! I am taking you in fantasy football again in 08...

But everyone was making fun of me at work today of Barro's sorrow when rewatching one shining momeny]r... funny thing was... it was UK fan who sits next to me,so I went to the... we have taken you the last two times so I think it is time to shut your mouth... where he then went to the number of national championships and all time wins... and I said,you know what... I am betting you $1000 we make it further in the tourney next year... he backed down and was scared!