collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The MECCA Sports Bar and Grill  (Read 7099 times)

eroc830

• Scholarship Player
The MECCA Sports Bar and Grill
« on: May 01, 2019, 10:31:26 AM »
Checked out the MECCA bar next to Fiserv last night before the Bucks game.  Was pretty sweet.  Food was good.  Beer was about what I would expect, Miller Lite was $5 for a 14oz tap.  Spent some time calculating whether the large TV was more square feet than my house (I think it is).  Never seen anything like it.  Sat in a booth on the 2nd level that overlooked the lower level and the huge TV.  They have a bar on the 2nd level as well.  Also seemed like they tapped into the Fiserv Forum scoreboard and sound.  So, I assume if you watched the game from inside the bar you will be able to see the scoreboard, ribbon board, and audio just the same as if you were in the arena.  Would recommend checking it out. 

MUfan12

• All American
Re: The MECCA Sports Bar and Grill
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 11:27:46 AM »
Was there for a bit pregame. It's so over the top, but in a good way. No venue really quite like it in MKE.

Any sporting event that would draw a crowd would be sweet in there. Immediately thought of a US World Cup game.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2019, 12:45:22 PM »
Was there for a bit pregame. It's so over the top, but in a good way. No venue really quite like it in MKE.

Any sporting event that would draw a crowd would be sweet in there. Immediately thought of a US World Cup game.

All 12 soccer fans in Milwaukee would have that place rocking.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2019, 12:53:11 PM »

There’s very few dedicated sports bars in Milwaukee. I feel this place will do well.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2019, 01:13:32 PM »

::)

Guess you've never seen Nomad on a Sat morning

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2019, 01:35:27 PM »

Still outnumber the 8 volleyball fans.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2019, 02:16:31 PM »

But the 8 volleyball fans actually have their country to watch when the biggest competition in the world goes on (without having to host the event to guarantee qualification).
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MUBBau

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2019, 02:51:45 PM »
But the 8 volleyball fans actually have their country to watch when the biggest competition in the world goes on (without having to host the event to guarantee qualification).

So you don't count the USWNT?

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2019, 03:17:00 PM »
The most recent I read was that the iconic Robert Indiana designed floor at the Mecca was rescued but, remained in pieces in storage.
Has all or part of the floor been acquired and on display in this "MECCA"?
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2019, 03:18:37 PM »

The US had made 7 straight World Cups, only hosting for one. Only 5 countries have a longer active streak. Brazil, Germany, Argentina, Spain, & South Korea. 3 of those streaks include hosting more recently than the US did. Your comment is wildly inaccurate.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2019, 03:43:49 PM »
The most recent I read was that the iconic Robert Indiana designed floor at the Mecca was rescued but, remained in pieces in storage.
Has all or part of the floor been acquired and on display in this "MECCA"?

The floor is still under private ownership. The guy is trying to sell it, but hasn't found the right buyer yet.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2019, 05:56:59 PM »
So you don't count the USWNT?

I don't.  But if we want to include the women's side of things, well, the NCAA Women's Volleyball Final Four sells out an NBA arena every year for all 3 matches, has a huge convention every year, sees many teams selling out their basketball arenas for most home matches, etc.  So the whole "8 fans" thing then becomes pretty inaccurate.  The sport becomes much bigger once you throw the women's side into it.

The US had made 7 straight World Cups, only hosting for one. Only 5 countries have a longer active streak. Brazil, Germany, Argentina, Spain, & South Korea. 3 of those streaks include hosting more recently than the US did. Your comment is wildly inaccurate.

Sorry, I must've fallen asleep and missed their 1 game in the last World Cup (which brings up the next problem...if you miss their first game, you probably missed all of their games).

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2019, 05:59:48 PM »
I don't.  But if we want to include the women's side of things, well, the NCAA Women's Volleyball Final Four sells out an NBA arena every year for all 3 matches, has a huge convention every year, sees many teams selling out their basketball arenas for most home matches, etc.  So the whole "8 fans" thing then becomes pretty inaccurate.  The sport becomes much bigger once you throw the women's side into it.

Still more accurate than your 12 fans comment though.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2019, 07:06:53 PM »
Beer was about what I would expect, Miller Lite was $5 for a 14oz tap.

Do they serve any beer with actual ... what's the word I'm looking for? ... oh yeah ... flavor?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2019, 07:45:24 PM »

Just like most things you say.. dumb and inaccurate.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2019, 07:56:18 PM »
Just like most things you say.. dumb and inaccurate.

It is?

Dang, guess I really did sleep through their World Cup game.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2019, 09:21:23 PM »

Except, ya know man, it’s the United freaking States.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2019, 10:32:24 AM »
Sorry, I must've fallen asleep and missed their 1 game in the last World Cup (which brings up the next problem...if you miss their first game, you probably missed all of their games).

This is a dumb take. France won the World Cup but has missed twice as many as the US since 1990. Netherlands, England, and Italy are all highly regarded nations that have missed World Cups recently.

The American equivalent of this would be saying Xavier is a garbage program because they missed the last NCAA tournament, or the Packers are terrible because they missed the playoffs last year. Good programs miss tournaments.

The reason I don't generally comment on volleyball is because I don't have a firm grasp on that landscape. I find it wise to avoid trying to seem smart about something I'm not well educated on. You are taking the opposite route. It's not a good look.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2019, 12:40:47 PM »
This is a dumb take. France won the World Cup but has missed twice as many as the US since 1990. Netherlands, England, and Italy are all highly regarded nations that have missed World Cups recently.

The American equivalent of this would be saying Xavier is a garbage program because they missed the last NCAA tournament, or the Packers are terrible because they missed the playoffs last year. Good programs miss tournaments.

The reason I don't generally comment on volleyball is because I don't have a firm grasp on that landscape. I find it wise to avoid trying to seem smart about something I'm not well educated on. You are taking the opposite route. It's not a good look.

Funny that you say my comparison is a bad take but then compare USA soccer to the Packers and Xavier.  As far as I can tell, the US men's team has won 1 game in bracket play since 1934.  You're right, very comparable to the Packers success in the Playoffs and to Xavier's success in the NCAA Tournament.

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2019, 12:44:36 PM »
Funny that you say my comparison is a bad take but then compare USA soccer to the Packers and Xavier.  As far as I can tell, the US men's team has won 1 game in bracket play since 1934.  You're right, very comparable to the Packers success in the Playoffs and to Xavier's success in the NCAA Tournament.

You're wrong.  US beat Mexico back in 2002 in the round of 16.  But I also note how deftly you keep changing your arguments. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2019, 01:25:23 PM »

You're wrong.  US beat Mexico back in 2002 in the round of 16.  But I also note how deftly you keep changing your arguments.

So what you are saying is the US has won 1 game in bracket play since 1934? Kind of like what I just said? Wait, no, EXACTLY what I just said.

What, exactly, has changed in my arguments? The 8 volleyball fans never have to worry about not being able to watch their country play in the biggest competition in the world. Not the same for soccer. Unless, again, I was just sleeping for the one game I might’ve got to see them play in in the World Cup last time there was one. Certainly possible that was the case.

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2019, 01:29:03 PM »
I thought you were including 1934. My apologies

Anyway soccer fans watch more than just their country.  There are a number of fan clubs throughout the area that watch various teams every week. Milwaukee has a pretty healthy fan-base for soccer.  Your initial implication was inaccurate.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2019, 07:48:58 PM »
The floor is still under private ownership. The guy is trying to sell it, but hasn't found the right buyer yet.

Sure would be nice if whomever buys it puts it on display at a public place. Other than the Boston Garden parquet, it's one of the most recognizable basketball courts anywhere.

ETA:

And for those ripping on soccer in the US, MN United is playing to sellout crowds at their new 20,000 seat stadium in St. Paul. They capped season tickets at 14,500 (and quickly sold out - there is now a waitlist), and held the remaining 5,500 for single game sales. The single game seats sold out in 90 seconds for the opener.

It may not be basketball, baseball or (American) football, but there are plenty of fans around.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 08:03:16 PM by GooooMarquette »

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2019, 09:48:30 AM »

Is volleyball even a sport?

feedback