Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

What does MU need to do to reedem the season for you?

Win the BET
4 (2.7%)
Win the BET AND win a game in March Madness
12 (8%)
Round of 32
41 (27.3%)
Sweet 16
80 (53.3%)
Elite 8
7 (4.7%)
Final Four
2 (1.3%)
National Championship
4 (2.7%)

Total Members Voted: 150

Author Topic: Redemption  (Read 7637 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Redemption
« on: March 04, 2020, 09:27:48 AM »
I've always held that the regular season is more important in judging a season than the postseason. While I don't go full Chicos on the whole crapshoot thing, I do agree with the general premise the people overvalue a couple of games in March when evaluating the success of a coach or team. For me, this season was already going to end in disappointment when we lost at Providence. I expected this team to be in the 3-6 seed range and the losd at Providence shut the door on any possibility of a 3 or 4 seed and made a 5 seed highly unlikely. Follow that up with two more losses and now we would likely need to win out to make it to the 6 seed line. To make up for that, I honestly would need to see us either win the BET and a Sweet 16 or a trip to the Final Four for me to leave this season feeling good. Don't get me wrong, I'd enjoy the heck out of an Elite Eight run, but I think it would be a bit of a paper tiger. Some wallpaper over a disappointing regular season.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

CountryRoads

• All American
Re: Redemption
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2020, 09:34:22 AM »
Another poster said something to the effect of it being like Cuonzo when Tennessee made the sweet sixteen and wanted him fired. I agree and think there are a lot of similarities. I can’t say what it would take for me to feel good about this program now but there a lot of uneasy feelings among everyone I think.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2020, 09:34:34 AM »
Geez, how seriously we take five college students running on a court throwing a ball through a hoop.
Therapists phones most be ringing off the hook.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2020, 09:42:19 AM »
Geez, how seriously we take five college students running on a court throwing a ball through a hoop.
Extremist fans

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2020, 09:44:20 AM »
Looking at the listed alternatives, I get the feeling that we're beyond redemption.

Phuket MU Fan

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2020, 10:37:58 AM »
I am not so much interested in redemption as I am in seeing Markus go out on a winning note. I would like to see them win at St Johns, get to the championship game of the BET and win at least two games in NCAA tournament.

Cfollow

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2020, 10:42:37 AM »
My expectations for a Wojo led squad are so low I voted round of 32. The dumpster fire that is Gopher hoops  even won an NCAA tournament game last year and they are an have been for quite some time totally irrelevant on the college hoops landscape. Wojo you made this!!!

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2020, 10:44:42 AM »
My vote would be BET or Sweet 16.

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2020, 10:48:38 AM »
At this point it's not about the results (aka doesn't matter how we finish), it's about the process. I want to see a basketball team that looks like it actually practices offense and defense.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2020, 10:54:49 AM »
Folks, while I would love to see future wins it may or may not happen.
In my opinion the current team has pretty much plateaued.
I think the current team is comprised of great student athletes representing the university well.
I also think the Coach Wojo represents the university well and is doing the best he can.
But, we just don't have the guns.  Maybe a different story if Ed, Joey and Sam were with us, but that is not the case.
Enjoy and cheer the next two games, and hope there will be more this season.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2020, 11:01:00 AM »

you're surprised an adult whose handle is the name of a 17-year-old kid takes that seriously?  Therapists' phones should have been on speed dial well before this.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 11:17:46 AM by Billy Hoyle »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2020, 11:15:44 AM »
One final thing that bothers me.  The moderators killed the thread, but I was watching the Seton Hall game on TV.  Later in the game they showed Markus parents.  His mother was visibly shaken.  At the time I thought it was because the game was not going well.  While I don't know the specifics of the incident, I am pretty disgusted as an MU fan if we didn't treat Markus parents with the utmost respect.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2020, 11:16:45 AM »
At this point it's not about the results (aka doesn't matter how we finish), it's about the process. I want to see a basketball team that looks like it actually practices offense and defense.

This

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2020, 11:19:02 AM »
One final thing that bothers me.  The moderators killed the thread, but I was watching the Seton Hall game on TV.  Later in the game they showed Markus parents.  His mother was visibly shaken.  At the time I thought it was because the game was not going well.  While I don't know the specifics of the incident, I am pretty disgusted as an MU fan if we didn't treat Markus parents with the utmost respect.

From the reports, Howard's parents got involved with some people going after Wojo. The actions by the drunks and the Howards were unnecessary.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2020, 11:21:03 AM »
I said Elite 8. Considering the ending trajectory the past two years and the general inability to beat teams "better" than us, I think the Elite 8 as a goal is the surest way to show Wojo can change that and beat those teams. I also think it's more in line with what this team was always supposed to be.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2020, 11:40:06 AM »
I'd like to see a win at St. John's, a couple BE tournament wins and ideally a couple wins in the NCAA's. But even just a tournament game win would quell my restlessness.

33vikes

• Walk-On
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2020, 12:00:21 PM »
Beating St John's on the road seems more than MU can muster. Which means no NCAA tournament at all. Even when MU was good, they didn't do much in the BET.
Things aren't too good right now.   

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2020, 12:03:15 PM »
I'd take an elite 8. Sweet 16 is probably just too cold teams and howard being hot.

Though it would be a bitter sweet elite 9

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2020, 12:04:49 PM »

My take from it was someone was giving it hard to wojo. The Howard's tried to swing their weight around and got involved in something they shouldnt.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2020, 01:19:31 PM »
My take from it was someone was giving it hard to wojo. The Howard's tried to swing their weight around and got involved in something they shouldnt.

Will second (or third?) the notion that the Howards overstepped, especially his mom if she told the guy to “respect our coach”. 

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2020, 01:28:15 PM »
Great, now  fans on this board are going after Markus' parents.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2020, 01:44:43 PM »

Classy group we have

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2020, 01:58:10 PM »
Beating St John's on the road seems more than MU can muster. Which means no NCAA tournament at all. Even when MU was good, they didn't do much in the BET.
Things aren't too good right now.   
Have you looked at any brackets recently?

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2020, 02:15:13 PM »

If that's what you have to tell yourself.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2020, 02:41:15 PM »
If that's what you have to tell yourself.
You're kind of being a douche. Lay off the parents.