'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Strategy Question  (Read 1578 times)

cheebs09

• All American
Strategy Question
« on: March 04, 2020, 11:44:08 AM »
I’m curious other’s opinions on this end game scenario. With .8 seconds left, why would DePaul not have their players on the complete opposite side of the court? The only way OT happens is if we get them to foul a 3 pt shooter.

I suppose we could do a tip play and still have enough time for a Creighton miracle situation. I don’t think their players moved or went near the 3 line, but it just seemed like DePaul introduced a way to tie it up.

CTWarrior

• All American
Re: Strategy Question
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2020, 11:48:17 AM »
I’m curious other’s opinions on this end game scenario. With .8 seconds left, why would DePaul not have their players on the complete opposite side of the court? The only way OT happens is if we get them to foul a 3 pt shooter.

I suppose we could do a tip play and still have enough time for a Creighton miracle situation. I don’t think their players moved or went near the 3 line, but it just seemed like DePaul introduced a way to tie it up.

Its a good point, but basically they didn't guard anyone closely, which is good enough.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2020, 04:14:13 PM »

Yep, that was stupid on their part.  Should have had 5 players near their bench, watching.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2020, 04:20:48 PM »
You put them inside the three point line and tell them not to contest anything.  You don't want to give up an easy tip in the forces you to inbound the ball again.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2020, 04:21:57 PM »
We honestly might’ve had a better chance of Markus getting fouled on a three if Wojo hadn’t called the timeout.  It gave Leitao time to tell his guys not to defend.  Considering DePaul was stupid enough to literally walk the ball out of bounds before hearing the buzzer, there was a greater than zero chance of last night turning into Creighton from last year, part 2.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2020, 04:22:44 PM »
You put them inside the three point line and tell them not to contest anything.  You don't want to give up an easy tip in the forces you to inbound the ball again.

There were eight-tenths of a second left.  Even with an instant hoop, there's gonna be no inbound needed.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2020, 04:36:53 PM »
Great point. I was thinking the same thing as I was watching it. This is the coaching that has beaten us 4 times in the last 6 years, however.

Not to be outdone, Wojo calls a timeout with 0.8 to really soak in the L.

feedback