collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Sooooo.... Texas?  (Read 30364 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Sooooo.... Texas?
« Reply #375 on: September 14, 2021, 06:40:32 PM »
As far as I'm aware, there's been only one federal election in n recent memory (if ever) overturned because of fraud. It didn't happen in Illinois and the Democrats weren't the ones behind the fraudulence.

It was for the seat in NC's 9th House District in 2018.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2019/02/north-carolina-9th-fraud-board-orders-new-election/583369/

A long-time GOP operative illegally harvested votes on behalf of the party's candidate, Mark Harris, in an extremely close election decided by only hundreds of votes. After the fraud was discovered, both Harris and Trump pushed back hard, demanding Harris be certified. But the House correctly refused until the matter was settled.

Harris adamantly insisted that he had won until the decisive hearing -- when his own son took the stand and told the court that he had repeatedly warned his father to steer clear of the operative, "a shady character." Harris broke down in court, weeping, and finally agreed the election should get a re-do.

Ultimately, Harris' health took a bad turn and he ended up pulling out of the election. He was replaced by state Rep. Dan Bishop, a far-right, hard-line Trump supporter. With Trump putting all his energy into Bishop's candidacy -- Trump wasn't distracted by other candidates because it was the only election going on -- Bishop won a close vote in a district that has been heavily Republican for years.

Bishop has been a loyal Trump toady, voting against certifying the 2020 election, pushing conspiracy theories, downplaying the 1/6/21 coup attempt, pushing "miracle" COVID-19 cures, etc.

That's the only proven federal election fraud that has taken place in eons ... except, of course, from the fraud being perpetrated by Trump and his minions to this day.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #376 on: September 14, 2021, 06:47:51 PM »
Is the stunt in Florida where the R recruited a shlub with a name just like the D candidate in order to siphon votes considered fraud?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #377 on: September 14, 2021, 07:02:13 PM »
Is the stunt in Florida where the R recruited a shlub with a name just like the D candidate in order to siphon votes considered fraud?

It's an Eddie Murphy movie, The Distinguished Gentleman.. His campaign slogan was "the name you know!"

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #378 on: September 14, 2021, 10:59:33 PM »

Which is the same thing Michael Madigan did to split up the vote in his legislative district on the SW Side of Chicago. It was important for Madigan because his district was turning Hispanic and there was some question whether the district wanted a corrupt pink guy representing them when there were qualified, intelligent Hispanic alternatives.

Three guesses who won!

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #379 on: September 14, 2021, 11:24:59 PM »
Which is the same thing Michael Madigan did to split up the vote in his legislative district on the SW Side of Chicago. It was important for Madigan because his district was turning Hispanic and there was some question whether the district wanted a corrupt pink guy representing them when there were qualified, intelligent Hispanic alternatives.

Three guesses who won!

Brother dgies,

I think we'll both agree that Mike Madigan is a sleaze who, if there's any justice, will soon face indictment.
That said, the allegations you cite here were thrown out as unfounded by multiple state courts. On top of that, Madigan received 65% of the vote in that primary ... so even without multiple challengers, he'd have won in a landslide. Oh, and he received 65% of the vote after those allegations surfaced, so for better or worse, the electorate chose the corrupt pink guy.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #380 on: September 15, 2021, 12:01:12 AM »
AP is calling the Cali recall election already. It looks like Newsom easily won the right to remain governor, as "no recall" took 2 out of 3 votes with about 60% in.

https://apnews.com/article/joe-biden-donald-trump-california-climate-elections-a590782877be099d44f1766b2d138394

Newsom was smart to make the election a referendum on Trumpism. He also pointed at the Texas abortion law.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #381 on: September 15, 2021, 12:10:43 AM »
Brother dgies,

I think we'll both agree that Mike Madigan is a sleaze who, if there's any justice, will soon face indictment.
That said, the allegations you cite here were thrown out as unfounded by multiple state courts. On top of that, Madigan received 65% of the vote in that primary ... so even without multiple challengers, he'd have won in a landslide. Oh, and he received 65% of the vote after those allegations surfaced, so for better or worse, the electorate chose the corrupt pink guy.

Brother Pakuni:

For the record, what Madigan did was not illegal. Sleazy -- that's par for the course. But unless you have forged signatures on nominating petitions, anyone can run. All you have to do is follow campaign finance laws and boom, you have a chance.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #382 on: September 15, 2021, 06:52:42 AM »
Is 69's example even voter fraud? I feel like there needs to be some level of intent and harm for it to be considered fraud. In his example, he is deciding to let his grandchild make his voting decisions for him and signing off that these are his votes. He is not casting an extra vote, it's not being done without his knowledge, he just decided to base his vote on what his grandchild chose. It's a dumb way to vote, but people vote for dumb reasons all the time. I guess if he wasn't going to vote and the grandchild requested a ballot in his name and forged his signature, I could see it. But I'm not certain his example, as presented, would be prosecuted.

So if I went to the polls, signed the registration log and then let my grand daughter, neighbor or anyone I chose to cast the ballot that would be permitted?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #383 on: September 15, 2021, 07:34:53 AM »
So if I went to the polls, signed the registration log and then let my grand daughter, neighbor or anyone I chose to cast the ballot that would be permitted?

Instead of some dopey hypothetical situation, why don't you worry about the actual fraud that the previous president committed for months leading up to the election and then septupled-down on after the election?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #384 on: September 15, 2021, 07:38:04 AM »
AP is calling the Cali recall election already. It looks like Newsom easily won the right to remain governor, as "no recall" took 2 out of 3 votes with about 60% in.

https://apnews.com/article/joe-biden-donald-trump-california-climate-elections-a590782877be099d44f1766b2d138394

Newsom was smart to make the election a referendum on Trumpism. He also pointed at the Texas abortion law.

This futile exercise cost the taxpayers of California at least $276 million.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #385 on: September 15, 2021, 07:50:52 AM »

Impossible. The GOP is the fiscal-responsibility party.

Look at all the money Trump "saved" taxpayers by eliminating most pandemic-readiness stuff early in his presidency!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 07:54:11 AM by MU82 »

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #386 on: September 15, 2021, 08:09:18 AM »
Instead of some dopey hypothetical situation, why don't you worry about the actual fraud that the previous president committed for months leading up to the election and then septupled-down on after the election?

This has nothing to do with hyper partisan politics, but everything to do with all citizens trusting the integrity of the ballot. Most here are fine with the mail-in ballot. I am not.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #387 on: September 15, 2021, 08:11:35 AM »

Three guesses who won!
Is Michael Madigan related to longtime Chicago journalist John Madigan?,:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-2012-03-07-ct-met-john-madigan-obit-20120307-story.html

John Madigan also was father of actress/ MU alum Amy Madigan (Field of Dreams),  longtime wife of actor Ed Harris
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #388 on: September 15, 2021, 08:15:07 AM »
This has nothing to do with hyper partisan politics, but everything to do with all citizens trusting the integrity of the ballot. Most here are fine with the mail-in ballot. I am not.

So you are being irrational then.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #389 on: September 15, 2021, 08:38:37 AM »

Except it is partisan politics. The GOP fights mail-in-ballots in areas it hurts them, and celebrates them in areas it helps them.

There laws are designed to make it easier for members of the GOP to vote, and harder for minority communities who vote DEM to vote.

It has nothing to do with election integrity. Your hypotheticals have nothing to do with election integrity. They are historic scare tactics the GOP uses to inspire their electorate to follow their voting restrictions that are strictly aimed at decreasing legitimate and legal DEM votes.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #390 on: September 15, 2021, 08:59:50 AM »
Except it is partisan politics. The GOP fights mail-in-ballots in areas it hurts them, and celebrates them in areas it helps them.

There laws are designed to make it easier for members of the GOP to vote, and harder for minority communities who vote DEM to vote.

It has nothing to do with election integrity. Your hypotheticals have nothing to do with election integrity. They are historic scare tactics the GOP uses to inspire their electorate to follow their voting restrictions that are strictly aimed at decreasing legitimate and legal DEM votes.

Exactly. Before the pandemic, the GOP was pushing for mail-in ballot use in many areas of the country. Deep-red Utah became an all-mail-in ballot state, for cryin' out loud.

But the Trumplicans need a scapegoat because their guy -- the only president since approval ratings began during the Truman era to never receive a 50% approval rating (and Trump never got close) -- couldn't possibly have lost a free and fair election. At least, that's what Trump says, and the cultists can't go against the cult leader.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #391 on: September 15, 2021, 09:09:27 AM »
Is 69's example even voter fraud? I feel like there needs to be some level of intent and harm for it to be considered fraud. In his example, he is deciding to let his grandchild make his voting decisions for him and signing off that these are his votes. He is not casting an extra vote, it's not being done without his knowledge, he just decided to base his vote on what his grandchild chose. It's a dumb way to vote, but people vote for dumb reasons all the time. I guess if he wasn't going to vote and the grandchild requested a ballot in his name and forged his signature, I could see it. But I'm not certain his example, as presented, would be prosecuted.

I don't think so. If a family of 4 receives 4 ballots, it's inconceivable to think every single person filled out and signed their own ballot. Although, 99.99% gave at least implicit consent (or at the very least were indifferent about it), which does not constitute fraud, in my opinion.

I think the main issue Republicans have with mail-in voting is that it makes it very convenient to get ballots in the hands of people who otherwise maybe would not have gone to the polls and voted. The risk of fraud is very low and there would be more evidence and first hand accounts if there were widespread issues. On one hand, every American deserves the right to cast a ballot, but I am personally more old school and I think people should show up on the day and vote in person (with certain exceptions of course).

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #392 on: September 15, 2021, 09:12:54 AM »
I don't think so. If a family of 4 receives 4 ballots, it's inconceivable to think every single person filled out and signed their own ballot. Although, 99.99% gave at least implicit consent (or at the very least were indifferent about it), which does not constitute fraud, in my opinion.

I think the main issue Republicans have with mail-in voting is that it makes it very convenient to get ballots in the hands of people who otherwise maybe would not have gone to the polls and voted. The risk of fraud is very low and there would be more evidence and first hand accounts if there were widespread issues. On one hand, every American deserves the right to cast a ballot, but I am personally more old school and I think people should show up on the day and vote in person (with certain exceptions of course).

I'm assuming you don't live in one of those areas where there's one polling spot to thousands of people and the wait time is practically all day?

I agree with the sentimentality of showing up day of but when places like Texas are making it harder to vote in denser minority communities then it's time to throw that "old school" sentimentality out the window and choose instead for more voices to be heard.
Maigh Eo for Sam

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #393 on: September 15, 2021, 09:21:33 AM »

Mikekinsella already explained to you how your example wasn't fraud and you agreed. Are you reversing now?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #394 on: September 15, 2021, 09:50:54 AM »
And a base price of $680K for the new fraudit in Wisconsin
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #395 on: September 15, 2021, 09:53:20 AM »
Huh? Why?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #396 on: September 15, 2021, 10:37:57 AM »

It's clear that you haven't spent much time in a polling place (and that's not a shot at you). It is not that unusual for a senior citizen to come in with a younger relative to help them navigate the equipment. The senior citizen may say to the younger relative in a certain race, "I don't have a preference, who should I vote for?" That's okay. Even more egregious language (to some) would be okay if it reflects the ultimate will of the voter.

Assisting otherwise competent voters cast their ballots is not election fraud. Failing to assist them would be tantamount to voter disenfranchisement.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #397 on: September 15, 2021, 11:03:13 AM »

No doubt you objected to the cost of the Walker recall too, then?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #398 on: September 15, 2021, 11:04:53 AM »

I definitely did. That was ridiculous waste.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #399 on: September 15, 2021, 11:10:04 AM »
I'm not really objecting to anything, just pointing out that it never had a chance and was a big waste of money.
But yeah, I think the Walker recall was dumb as well.
Do you find these to be worthy uses of government resources and taxpayer money?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 11:16:19 AM by Pakuni »