collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Sooooo.... Texas?  (Read 30363 times)

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
Re: Sooooo.... Texas?
« Reply #250 on: September 07, 2021, 08:28:01 AM »
What would Jesus do?
Build a megachurch and get stinking rich?

Insist on building a wall to keep "those people" out?

Advocate for tax cuts for the rich and reducing benefits to the poor?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 08:36:16 AM by TSmith34 »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #251 on: September 07, 2021, 08:35:31 AM »
What would Jesus do?

He tells us in Matthew 7:1-3.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #252 on: September 07, 2021, 08:40:33 AM »
What would Jesus do?

That hippy who lived with a bunch of poor guys and a prostitute, drank wine constantly, and always talked up his blood dad while ignoring the guy that stepped up to parent him?

Psht, who cares what he'd do it's about what my multi millionaire televangelist pastor says I should do.
Maigh Eo for Sam

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #253 on: September 07, 2021, 08:44:15 AM »
Shoot cows and eat them

He'd throw them on the smoker first.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #254 on: September 07, 2021, 09:06:37 AM »
He'd throw them on the smoker first.

The Bible’s silence on smoking meats is defeaning
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #255 on: September 07, 2021, 10:04:48 AM »
What would Jesus do?

Cure the lepers with horse de-wormer?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #256 on: September 07, 2021, 11:40:56 AM »
Ahhhh…..

Now we’re back on track.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #257 on: September 07, 2021, 11:45:55 AM »
Cure the lepers with horse de-wormer?

Happy New Year MU82. 

YaBlueIt

• Starter
« Reply #258 on: September 07, 2021, 12:36:16 PM »
The sad thing about the Texas debate is it rekindled a battle that’s never ending. It’s always going to be here in one form or another.

Before Roe vs. Wade was announced, I was in high school in Nashville. There was a huge billboard at Eighth Avenue and Church Street advertising for abortion services. At the time, abortions in the State of Tennessee were hugely illegal. What it meant was that Tennessee women who sought an elective abortion called this agency and arranged for travel to and service in New York, where abortion was legal.

If Roe vs. Wade suddenly was overruled, our nation would have a patchwork of abortion laws, as it did in 1971. I doubt the number of abortions performed in the nation would decrease substantially. What we’re arguing is symbolism and low income abortion access. The only thing that changes this would be a human rights amendment defining life as beginning at conception. That definitely IS NOT happening in my lifetime.

All that said, I’m about as pro-life as they come. The difference is I don’t believe the government can do what the priests and bishops, preachers and ministers, Imans, Rabbis and other holy people can’t do — limit abortions. What we need to do in this country is to limit the demand for abortion, rather than the supply — and that ain’t easy. We need alternatives to abortion, including everything from effective birth control to embracing women with unwanted pregnancies and fostering the love that ensures their child gets the home it deserves.

Best comment in this whole thread.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #259 on: September 07, 2021, 12:43:19 PM »
Best comment in this whole thread.

No way it has nothing to do with cows
Maigh Eo for Sam

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #260 on: September 07, 2021, 02:00:25 PM »
Udder fraud the new voter fraud?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #261 on: September 07, 2021, 02:12:22 PM »
Happy New Year MU82.

Thanks, Muggs. I gave up religion for permanent lent many years ago, but I appreciate the thought.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #262 on: September 07, 2021, 02:40:27 PM »
Check and mate, Pro Choicers.

@KXAN_News
Texas Gov. Greg Abbott said the state will "eliminate rape" so victims won't have to have their rapist's baby under the state's new abortion restrictions.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #263 on: September 07, 2021, 02:52:44 PM »
I guess we'll see how effective that wall is going southbound now that Mexico upheld pro choice rights.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #264 on: September 07, 2021, 03:03:59 PM »

@KXAN_News
Texas Gov. Greg Abbott said the state will "eliminate rape" so victims won't have to have their rapist's baby under the state's new abortion restrictions.

Incest? Life of mother? Requirement to carry a dead fetus?

Maybe if pro-choicers wanted an in-utero vaccine mandate, Abbott would get rid of the entire law!

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #265 on: September 07, 2021, 03:11:02 PM »

Maybe if pro-choicers wanted an in-utero vaccine mandate, Abbott would get rid of the entire law!

Give him a break, Mike. I believe he has already eliminated all murderers and thieves. How hard can it be to eliminate rapists?

How can Rs even pretend to be intelligent when they vote for people like this? These are just really dumb people.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #266 on: September 07, 2021, 03:53:17 PM »

@KXAN_News

Can't believe Jeb Bush was pro rape all these years

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #267 on: September 07, 2021, 03:58:01 PM »

If the fetus is dead, it won't have a heartbeat and therefore would be abortable under Texas new law, I think.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #268 on: September 07, 2021, 04:16:26 PM »
Can't believe Jeb Bush was pro rape all these years

Jeb was governor of Florida, not Texas.

One other point I'd raise. For those of you who think California will go its own way -- ditto for other states -- I got news. There was a little eminent domain action that began in 1861 and ended in 1865 that solved the secession question for all time. Period.

Unless California wants to raise an Army and defend itself against the combined might of 49 other states, secession is not an issue.

It is possible under the current laws for parts of states to secede from their existing legal domicile. Rural parts of Northern California and the Central Valley have sought for some time to secede from California and create the State of Jefferson. Likewise, Eastern Oregon wants to become Idaho West. This is technically allowable but the process is complicated and cumbersome. It's not likely to happen in my lifetime, if ever.

So, California, you're stuck with us in Florida!

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #269 on: September 07, 2021, 04:48:01 PM »
Thanks, Muggs. I gave up religion for permanent lent many years ago, but I appreciate the thought.

I read that "Ultra" Orthodox Jews are not getting vaccinated.  Any idea why this is the case?  Although Israel as a country is like 80% vaccinated so maybe it's not a potential issue.  What is "Ultra" Orthodox anyway?  Seems like regular Orthodox is pretty out there and strict? 
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 04:50:59 PM by MuggsyB »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #270 on: September 07, 2021, 05:01:04 PM »
I read that "Ultra" Orthodox Jews are not getting vaccinated.  Any idea why this is the case?  Although Israel as a country is like 80% vaccinated so maybe it's not a potential issue.  What is "Ultra" Orthodox anyway?  Seems like regular Orthodox is pretty out there and strict?

Big difference actually.  There are plenty of Orthodox Jews who live relatively normal lives.  Some don’t even wear kippahs. Outside of eating kosher or how they observe the Sabbath on Saturdays, you wouldn’t even know.  My BIL is modern orthodox and he runs a bunch of pizzarias and taco joints, wears super trendy clothes, is a major sneaker head, goes to great restaurants and just watches what he orders, and texts me on Saturday all the time.  He just seems like another guy from Brooklyn.

Ultra orthodox are the big fur hats or the prayer tassels with a black vest. Won’t even eat outside of a kosher restaurant or kitchen. Women usually aren’t educated past middle school and they live in a bubble. 

Israel is far more secular than you think.  The ultra orthodox make up a small percentage of Jews there just like they do here
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 05:41:40 PM by JWags85 »

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #271 on: September 07, 2021, 05:09:52 PM »
Big difference actually.  There are plenty of Orthodox Jews who live relatively normal lives.  Some don’t even wear kippahs. Outside of eating kosher or how they observe the Sabbath on Thursdays, you wouldn’t even know.  My BIL is modern orthodox and he runs a bunch of pizzarias and taco joints, wears super trendy clothes, is a major sneaker head, goes to great restaurants and just watches what he orders, and texts me on Saturday all the time.  He just seems like another guy from Brooklyn.

Ultra orthodox are the big fur hats or the prayer tassels with a black vest. Won’t even eat outside of a kosher restaurant or kitchen. Women usually aren’t educated past middle school and they live in a bubble. 

Israel is far more secular than you think.  The ultra orthodox make up a small percentage of Jews there just like they do here

Ty.  Who are the guys with the beards? I thought in an Orthodox temple the men and women are separated?  I guess I need learn more about the sects.  I just thought it was Reforned, Conservative, Orthodox.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #272 on: September 07, 2021, 05:57:43 PM »
Ty.  Who are the guys with the beards? I thought in an Orthodox temple the men and women are separated?  I guess I need learn more about the sects.  I just thought it was Reforned, Conservative, Orthodox.

Usually Hasidic, which are one of the 3 branches of "ultra Orthodox" (aka Haredi) Judaism.  Other less strict Orthodox is usually referred to as "religious" Orthodoxy.  Usually even in modern Orthodox, men and women will sit on separate sides at temple, but Ultra Orthodox goes even farther.  My wife's SIL is modern orthodox and got married in 2019.  I sat with all the men at the wedding on one side, but after the ceremony it was like a normal reception.  But at an UO wedding, men and women stay together and dance in separate rooms and don't intermingle.

Its not unlike many of my customers who are a sect of Hinduism called Jain.  Traditional Jain is strict vegan (eat nothing that was ever alive or that grew underground) so no potatoes, carrots, etc...  as well as no alcohol.  But many of them, especially younger, are "modern Jain".  They will drink, they eat vegan but are a bit more liberal with the vegetables, and so on...

But to the original point, Ultra Orthodox Jews were also the ones having huge gatherings in Brooklyn and Queens during lockdown last Spring and generally do what they please.  Vaccine hesitancy from that group is far from surprising.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #273 on: September 07, 2021, 06:03:26 PM »
Usually Hasidic, which are one of the 3 branches of "ultra Orthodox" (aka Haredi) Judaism.  Other less strict Orthodox is usually referred to as "religious" Orthodoxy.  Usually even in modern Orthodox, men and women will sit on separate sides at temple, but Ultra Orthodox goes even farther.  My wife's SIL is modern orthodox and got married in 2019.  I sat with all the men at the wedding on one side, but after the ceremony it was like a normal reception.  But at an UO wedding, men and women stay together and dance in separate rooms and don't intermingle.

Watch "Unorthodox" on Netflix.  It's pretty eye-opening.

Not to be confused with "My Unorthodox Life", which is a reality show that can be summarized best as "Jewish Kardashians".
Have some patience, FFS.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #274 on: September 07, 2021, 06:12:36 PM »

@KXAN_News

Clarifying question... they're going to allow abortions in instances of rape? Or the state is going to eliminate rape as an act?