* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by BLWarrior91
[Today at 08:41:56 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:11:08 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL?  (Read 12001 times)

cheebs09

• All American
Re: Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL?
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2024, 08:59:24 PM »
Gard's on a warm seat and playing up to his base why he's losing players. Easy to just blame the craziness that is NIL.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2024, 10:17:35 PM »
Best part of MU becoming a very good program is that I don't have to give a crap about UW. The basketball fan base in state is such a front running one that they tend to be pretty quiet outside of our matchup in December.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2024, 11:19:02 PM »
Gard's on a warm seat and playing up to his base why he's losing players. Easy to just blame the craziness that is NIL.

I’d be surprised if he’s their coach this time next year. Seems clueless on how to navigate this new landscape and just points fingers at everyone but himself. Despite losing 3 in a row to them, it’s good for MU as long as Gard is the coach. They’re pretty much irrelevant now.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2024, 12:05:24 AM »
Madison's the only school with an active "alumni network."

Tonight, my wife and I went to an outdoor concert. I was wearing my gold Marquette hat. A guy with a Marquette polo shirt comes up and we have small talk. Turns out he was an engineering grad who has a job with a suburban Charlotte engineering firm - along with 4 other Marquette alums. Seems the owner of the company also was a Marquette grad.

Between the "Harvard of the Midwest" and the "active Alumni network" - the delusions are grand at UW-Madison

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2024, 06:37:28 AM »
I’d be surprised if he’s their coach this time next year. Seems clueless on how to navigate this new landscape and just points fingers at everyone but himself. Despite losing 3 in a row to them, it’s good for MU as long as Gard is the coach. They’re pretty much irrelevant now.

I'll disagree.  Gard isn't a fool.  This isn't some impossible to understand concept.

UW doesn't have the resources or collectives built is what is really at play.

Plus football > basketball for their fans.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2024, 07:50:09 AM »
doubtful they play .500 ball next season with their current roster. The AD, McIntosh, is a football guy (former UW player) but he’ll probably move on from Gard at that point, though not sure of the financials of that.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2024, 08:09:47 AM »

Between the "Harvard of the Midwest" and the "active Alumni network" - the delusions are grand at UW-Madison
I’ll use the Brett Favre analogy. Favre could toss 3picks and still fire heaters through double coverage. No conscience.
Badger basketball had a 50 yr run w/o a ncaa tourney bid. No matter. Badger guy still talked trash like they were ucla. Football? Mention the late ‘80’s and the veer offense that produced a winless BIG season. Badger guy starts to mumble incoherently before beating his chest about that ‘92 Rose Bowl.
Red football and basketball have been solid since the early ‘90’s, sure. But to Badger guy UW is Alabama football Duke basketball in a blender. I think you have to live in-state and NOT be a Badger fan to fully grasp this cult of delusion. academics? Don’t get me started.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2024, 10:17:05 AM by Viper »

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2024, 08:17:13 AM »
I’ll use the Brett Favre analogy. Favre could toss 3picks and still fire heaters through double coverage. No conscience.
Badger basketball had a 50 yr run w/o a ncaa tourney bid. No matter. Badger guy still talked trash like there were ucla. Football? Mention the late ‘80’s and the veer offense that produced a winless BIG season. Badger guy starts to mumble incoherently before beating his chest about that ‘92 Rose Bowl.
Red football and basketball have been solid since the early ‘90’s, sure. But to Badger guy UW is Alabama football Duke basketball in a blender. I think you have to live in-state and NOT be a Badger fan to fully grasp this cult of delusion. academics? Don’t get me started.

🙄
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2024, 08:30:46 AM »
I actually wonder if this is a move by UW to move on from Gard. Barry's hand was forced by Bo's retirement timing and Gard was never McIntosh's guy. So say the NIL coffers are dry, leave him with a gutted roster, and if (when) he fails put all the blame on Gard and bring in a new coach, new style, and suddenly announced the NIL coffers are full to bursting for the new guy. I'd be very curious to know what happened to his buyout with his latest rolling extension.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2024, 08:34:03 AM »
I actually wonder if this is a move by UW to move on from Gard. Barry's hand was forced by Bo's retirement timing and Gard was never McIntosh's guy. So say the NIL coffers are dry, leave him with a gutted roster, and if (when) he fails put all the blame on Gard and bring in a new coach, new style, and suddenly announced the NIL coffers are full to bursting for the new guy. I'd be very curious to know what happened to his buyout with his latest rolling extension.

After the firing of Chryst, I'm not sure I'd see McIntosh prolonging anything. It almost feels a crummy season could be more expensive than just pulling the plug now.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2024, 08:35:38 AM »

YEP

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2024, 08:58:56 AM »

If it is, it sure is a ham-fisted way to do it.

I know there are guys out there with Wisconsin ties currently experiencing success as coaches but I’m not sure Nate Oats or TJ Otz are pining for that gig.

I know enough folks in Otz’s circles that Wisconsin is not a destination gig for him, not that he wouldn’t take it if offered since money talks and his ties with the important people of Wisconsin AAU programs and the such.  I could see him staying at Iowa State as long as the money is comparable.  Plus, his system isn’t all that different from what they run at Wisconsin now.

Won’t matter.  They’ll probably finish in the top-4 of the Big 18 anyway. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2024, 09:16:20 AM »
After the firing of Chryst, I'm not sure I'd see McIntosh prolonging anything. It almost feels a crummy season could be more expensive than just pulling the plug now.

Coaches who make the NCAAT don't get fired.  They sometimes "mutually part ways" but if Gards unwilling then they are stuck waiting for a bad season
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2024, 10:05:04 AM »
I think Greg Gard is a decent guy, and if he had a different job, I'd probably root for him to succeed.

But in the brave new world of navigating NIL in college basketball, I also think Gard is a nickel-dime poker player in a room full of sharks. When he got into coaching 25 years ago, it was pretty much x's and o's; chasing 16 year old kids around the AAU circuit every summer; and speaking at the local Catholic Church pancake breakfast every month or so. That's a far cry from bringing in an A J Storr and then watching him go into the transfer portal 9 months later. Or trying to decide whether or not to give Chuck Hepburn a million dollars a year, when 10 years ago you couldn't even give the kid a ride to class without getting in trouble.

I just don't think Gard will adapt very well to the current college basketball climate, and that will be the undoing. Reminds me of that old gambling saying-----if you sit down at a table to play with a bunch of strangers, pay close attention to how the first few hands are played, in an attempt to identify the biggest stiff, or "mark" at the table. And after a few hands if you can't identify anyone, then it's probably you.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2024, 11:11:36 AM »
I think Gard is just an average basketball coach, and always has been.  He went to two Sweet 16s with Bo's rosters (and system) his first 2 years.  He's had 2 Tournament wins in 7 years since and missed 3 NCAA Tournaments.  They had made 19 straight NCAA Tournaments prior to that, and prior to Gard taking over they were lower (as in a worse seed) than a 5 seed once in the previous 9 years.

This isn't a transfer portal or NIL thing.  It's not something that just came about.  He's just an average college basketball coach, who took over for a Hall of Famer.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2024, 11:15:55 AM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2024, 11:14:03 AM »
I think Gard is just an average basketball coach, and always has been.  He went to two Sweet 16s with Bo's rosters (and system) his first 2 years.  He's had 2 Tournament wins in 7 years since and missed 3 NCAA Tournaments.  They had made 19 straight NCAA Tournaments prior to that, and prior to Gard taking over they were lower than a 5 seed once in the previous 9 years.

This isn't a transfer portal or NIL thing.  It's not something that just came about.  He's just an average college basketball coach, who took over for a Hall of Famer.

Who’s done just good enough to keep his gig.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2024, 11:15:16 AM »
Who’s done just good enough to keep his gig.

Yup.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2024, 11:15:51 AM »
I think Gard is just an average basketball coach, and always has been.  He went to two Sweet 16s with Bo's rosters (and system) his first 2 years.  He's had 2 Tournament wins in 7 years since and missed 3 NCAA Tournaments.  They had made 19 straight NCAA Tournaments prior to that, and prior to Gard taking over they were lower than a 5 seed once in the previous 9 years.

It kind of reminds me of Buzz coming in after Crean. Both walked into really experienced teams the first year. Buzz was able to retool and build strong teams. Gard hasn't been able to after those that experienced tourney success left.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2024, 12:01:15 PM »
doubtful they play .500 ball next season with their current roster. The AD, McIntosh, is a football guy (former UW player) but he’ll probably move on from Gard at that point, though not sure of the financials of that.

Well, they obviously won't be playing with the current roster.  They've got what, 5 immediate open scholarships?  But the way their portal recruits are rejecting Gard, it's hard to see them building a winning roster for next season.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2024, 12:03:58 PM »
I think Gard is just an average basketball coach, and always has been.  He went to two Sweet 16s with Bo's rosters (and system) his first 2 years.  He's had 2 Tournament wins in 7 years since and missed 3 NCAA Tournaments.  They had made 19 straight NCAA Tournaments prior to that, and prior to Gard taking over they were lower (as in a worse seed) than a 5 seed once in the previous 9 years.

Yep, I made a similar point a few days ago. His record has been just OK. That he is behind the times in today's college basketball landscape is just extra frosting on the Gard turd.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2024, 12:27:57 PM »
Kirk Penney added to Gard's staff as a special assistant to the coach.

Gard's replacement on deck.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2024, 12:53:20 PM »

"I love that kiwi" -Badger Hate Week video

Viper

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2024, 12:56:38 PM »

…Kirk Penny…I was at that game in ‘01 when he dropped 33 on us. UW won the game by way of mystery fouls (3) called on Wade in that first half, in Madison. They were up 20,  DWade led a huge comeback with 21 in the second half that fell just short. Penny!

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2024, 02:49:02 PM »

Excuse Me?!?!  Harvard is the "UW-Madison of the Northeast"

You MU people don't learn real good.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2024, 02:51:21 PM »

He was already on the staff.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow