[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Skatastrophy
[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[May 07, 2024, 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Another day ... / mass shooting  (Read 34406 times)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: Another day ... / mass shooting
« Reply #275 on: May 30, 2021, 11:23:38 AM »
So polls, that show Rs believing things you think are reprehensible, are legitimate, cause the numbers are what they are.  But if they don’t, the polls aren’t true.  Got it.

Yes. Rs vote vote for the proliferation of guns.  They say they are against what they vote for. I don’t believe them. Actions are way stronger than words.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #276 on: June 05, 2021, 02:32:04 PM »
A gun-loving judge appointed by George W. Bush just struck down California's ban on assault rifles, likening them to "Swiss Army knives."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/06/05/california-assault-weapons-ban-overturned/?utm_campaign=wp_post_most&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_most&carta-url=https%3A%2F%2Fs2.washingtonpost.com%2Fcar-ln-tr%2F333b2b6%2F60bb98e69d2fdae302709c17%2F5f8d147cae7e8a56e5b732a4%2F15%2F70%2F60bb98e69d2fdae302709c17

Perfect. I mean, who will ever forget the Columbine, Charleston, Vegas and Newton killers doing their handiwork with Swiss Army knives? I think they used either the spoon or corkscrew attachments.

What we really need in America is more and more and MORE guns, just as Archie Bunker said almost 50 years ago!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #277 on: June 07, 2021, 12:19:36 PM »
A police officer shot his wife in the arm, so the state took his gun away.
Nine months later, the state gives his gun back.
You'll never guess what happened next.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/crime-courts/state-alabama-took-his-gun-away-when-authorities-gave-it-n1269234

MU82

• All American
« Reply #278 on: June 07, 2021, 12:38:27 PM »

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/crime-courts/state-alabama-took-his-gun-away-when-authorities-gave-it-n1269234

I guessed right.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #279 on: June 07, 2021, 01:46:12 PM »

Women whose abusive partners own a gun are 5x more likely to be shot than women whose abusive partners don't own a gun, per the Department of Justice. I thought that people who wanted to commit crimes would find a way to commit them no matter what?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #280 on: June 07, 2021, 01:50:46 PM »
Women whose abusive partners own a gun are 5x more likely to be shot than women whose abusive partners don't own a gun, per the Department of Justice. I thought that people who wanted to commit crimes would find a way to commit them no matter what?
I'm pretty sure domestic abuse is a crime, whether or not a gun is used.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #281 on: June 07, 2021, 01:56:15 PM »

He was a “good” guy with a gun. He just had to get rid of a “bad” woman.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #282 on: June 07, 2021, 02:05:16 PM »

Sigh...

Women whose abusive partners own a gun are 5x more likely to be shot than women whose abusive partners don't own a gun, per the Department of Justice. I thought that people who wanted to shoot people with a gun would find a way to get a gun and shoot them no matter what?

Better?
TAMU

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #283 on: June 07, 2021, 02:08:51 PM »
I think we should all be grateful this man wasn't given a Swiss army knife instead of a firearm. We could have had yet another mass corkscrewing on our hands.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #284 on: June 07, 2021, 02:20:53 PM »
Sigh...

Women whose abusive partners own a gun are 5x more likely to be shot than women whose abusive partners don't own a gun, per the Department of Justice. I thought that people who wanted to shoot people with a gun would find a way to get a gun and shoot them no matter what?

Better?
Well, in this case,  there was a restraining order, so he was not legally entitled to possess a firearm.  The way he found a way to get a gun illegally, was to ask for his back. The law is in place, just the incompetence of the courts and ALEA allowed this to happen.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #285 on: June 07, 2021, 03:03:22 PM »
Well, in this case,  there was a restraining order, so he was not legally entitled to possess a firearm.  The way he found a way to get a gun illegally, was to ask for his back. The law is in place, just the incompetence of the courts and ALEA allowed this to happen.

I wasn't just talking about this case.
TAMU

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #286 on: June 07, 2021, 03:13:48 PM »

Not incompetence. Indifference.
Incompetence implies a failed effort to enforce the law. It appears there was no effort at all here.
So it goes in a country where we fetishsize guns and make firearm ownership sacrosanct even above life.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #287 on: June 14, 2021, 01:10:11 PM »
2020 was the deadliest gun violence year in decades. So far, 2021 is worse.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/06/14/2021-gun-violence/?utm_campaign=wp_post_most&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_most&carta-url=https%3A%2F%2Fs2.washingtonpost.com%2Fcar-ln-tr%2F339b774%2F60c784c29d2fdae3027dfe47%2F5f8d147cae7e8a56e5b732a4%2F10%2F76%2F60c784c29d2fdae3027dfe47

The shootings have come at a relentless pace. Gun violence this year has cut through celebrations and funerals, places of work and houses of worship. It has taken lives at a grocery store and in a fast-food drive-through lane.

And most of all, it has unfolded on city streets and in family homes, away from the cameras and far from the national spotlight.

By almost every measure, 2021 has already been a terrible year for gun violence. Many fear it will get worse. Last weekend alone, more than 120 people died in shootings, according to the Gun Violence Archive, with three especially dangerous incidents in Austin, Chicago and Savannah, Ga., killing two and injuring at least 30.

Through the first five months of 2021, gunfire killed more than 8,100 people in the United States, about 54 lives lost per day, according to a Washington Post analysis of data from the Gun Violence Archive, a nonprofit research organization. That’s 14 more deaths per day than the average toll during the same period of the previous six years.

This year, the number of casualties, along with the overall number of shootings that have killed or injured at least one person, exceeds those of the first five months of 2020, which finished as the deadliest year of gun violence in at least two decades.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #288 on: June 14, 2021, 01:15:20 PM »
How could dat bee, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #289 on: June 14, 2021, 01:20:31 PM »
More from the article:

Shootings have also increased in cities from Los Angeles to Chicago to Columbus, Ohio. In Philadelphia, officials are preparing for what could be the deadliest year in the city’s history. The mayor is holding regular updates on gun violence, reminiscent of weekly coronavirus briefings.

But the rise in gun violence is not just a big-city phenomenon. The number of gunfire deaths has also increased in suburban and rural areas, though the overall numbers are lower because of smaller populations.

Areas across the country saw an increase in gun deaths in 2020. High-population urban areas were the most affected, but residents in suburban and rural areas also experienced more gun violence.

Researchers note a number of factors they say are driving the upswing, including the unprecedented surge in gun sales. In 2020, a year of pandemic, protests and elections, people purchased more than 23 million guns, a 66 percent increase over 2019 sales, according to a Post analysis of federal data on gun background checks.

In January and February of 2021, people bought more guns than they did during either month of any previous year in which such purchases were recorded. In January alone, about 2.5 million guns were sold, the third-highest one-month total, behind only June and July of 2020.

Before 2020, gun-sales spikes coincided with elections and mass shootings, such as the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School in late 2012. Last year, the numbers climbed during pandemic-induced shutdowns and again in the summer, with millions protesting a Minneapolis police officer’s murder of George Floyd.

Controlling for population, the analysis found the higher the jump in gun sales between 2019 and 2020, the higher the jump in gun violence that resulted in at least one death.

Michigan and Nevada were among the states with the largest per capita increase in gun sales and gun-related deaths, while Washington and Oklahoma saw their rates of gun violence stay relatively flat.

A large body of research shows gun availability increases the relative risk of fatal shootings, and Buggs co-authored a study last year that found an association between firearm purchases that spring and a statistically significant increase in firearm violence.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #290 on: June 14, 2021, 01:22:41 PM »
How could dat bee, hey?

More guns usually equals more gun deaths.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #291 on: June 14, 2021, 01:26:22 PM »
RGR and SWBI have been on a upward rip since the fall.  Lot of people in the market for "protection" it seems

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #292 on: June 14, 2021, 01:43:33 PM »
How could dat bee, hey?
I'll give you 393,437,000 guesses
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #293 on: June 14, 2021, 03:02:36 PM »
RGR and SWBI have been on a upward rip since the fall.  Lot of people in the market for "protection" it seems

I actually took a good long look at RGR when it was at 65 only a couple months ago. I couldn't ... um ... pull the trigger! Wish I had, it closed at 79 today.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #294 on: June 14, 2021, 06:55:21 PM »
And I am pretty sure that we are the only country that had a significant portion of its citizenry take up an armed insurrection that killed hundreds of thousands of people in an attempt to save it.

The idea that the US was some sort of "moral leader" in fighting slavery shows a complete ignorance of history.  We were fighting it for decades, and then still institutionalized racist laws and policies afterwards.
Fluffy, Hundreds of thousands sacrificed life and limb to end slavery . Less than 1% of America owned slaves, including thousands of Black and Native American slaveowners who fought for the Confederacy.  Incidentally, the first recorded slave owner in America was a Black man in the 1600's. Slavery was ubiquitous in the world.
The Barbary pirates ,for example, captured more than a million europeans  during the 17th and 18th Centuries and sold them into slavery including a famous raid on an Irish town where every denizen young and old were sold at the slave markets in Istanbul. It took Jefferson to send in the Marines and defeat Tripoli to leave ships alone and end that scourge. History has several sides to every tale.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #295 on: June 14, 2021, 07:15:48 PM »
Silly me, I thought we were going to have a kinder, gentler country starting January 20, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #296 on: June 14, 2021, 07:22:35 PM »

4Ever we will be  fine once we defund the police. The criminals will stop shooting  beating and robbing people. 

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #297 on: June 14, 2021, 07:54:12 PM »
my wife's decision to get one emanated from being physically assaulted by a homeless individual and the further proliferation of homeless camps springing up around the city which are not only tolerated but encouraged. It's sad that the best directions I can give someone to our condo, depending on the direction from which they are coming, is to "turn right after the homeless camp" or, "turn left and you'll pass the homeless camp on the left side of the street." I didn't discourage her from getting one.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #298 on: June 14, 2021, 08:22:02 PM »
More guns usually equals more gun deaths.

False
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #299 on: June 14, 2021, 08:24:42 PM »
Fluffy, Hundreds of thousands sacrificed life and limb to end slavery . Less than 1% of America owned slaves, including thousands of Black and Native American slaveowners who fought for the Confederacy.  Incidentally, the first recorded slave owner in America was a Black man in the 1600's. Slavery was ubiquitous in the world.
The Barbary pirates ,for example, captured more than a million europeans  during the 17th and 18th Centuries and sold them into slavery including a famous raid on an Irish town where every denizen young and old were sold at the slave markets in Istanbul. It took Jefferson to send in the Marines and defeat Tripoli to leave ships alone and end that scourge. History has several sides to every tale.

Holy sh*t. Never thought I'd see the day when someone came to Scoop to "both sides" slavery. Well done.
Unfortunately, much of your post is nonsense.
"Less than 1% owned slaves" is an entirely false meme. To reach anything close to that number, one must count children, people who lived in states in which slavery was outlawed and slaves. So, yeah, slaves didn't own slaves. Great point you make there!
Now, when counting only the people who actually had the option to own slaves ...
Using Census data to research his book, Glatthaar calculated that 4.9 percent of people in the slaveholding states owned slaves, that 19.9 percent of family units in those states owned slaves, and that 24.9 percent of households owned slaves. (Households are a broader category than families.)
https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2017/aug/24/viral-image/viral-post-gets-it-wrong-extent-slavery-1860/

"thousands of Black and Native American slaveowners who fought for the Confederacy."

Another falsehood. Blacks weren't even allowed to serve in combat units in the Confederacy, and there is zero evidence that more than a handful - much less "thousands" took up arms in defense of slavery.

"Some black Southerners aided the Confederacy.  Most of these were forced to accompany their masters or were forced to toil behind the lines.  Black men were not legally allowed to serve as combat soldiers in the Confederate Army--they were cooks, teamsters, and manual laborers.  There were no black Confederate combat units in service during the war and no documentation whatsoever exists for any black man being paid or pensioned as a Confederate soldier, although some did receive pensions for their work as laborers."

"Whatever black combat service might have occurred during the war, it was not sanctioned by the Confederate government. Even beyond the Official Records, there is no known letter, diary entry, or any other primary source in which a Confederate mentions serving with black soldiers."

https://www.battlefields.org/learn/articles/black-confederates-truth-and-legend

But yeah, the Barbary Pirates .... ::)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 09:16:01 PM by Pakuni »

feedback