collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFC North Pissing Match  (Read 114777 times)

NavinRJohnson

• All American
Re: NFC North Pissing Match
« Reply #750 on: October 06, 2009, 09:37:11 AM »

I know some of you guys think his late season fades had to do with his age, but could his injury be the reason he played poorly the second half of last season?

Its both. You really can't separate them. Injuries are worse for a 40 year old guy than a 30 year old guy, and a 40 year old is more likely to get hurt/wear down from the physical requirements of an NFL season.

You will see the same thing this year. He's a year older, the injury is still there, his off season conditioning wasn't, and his motivation will be gone after the two teams meet again in week 8.

I'll need to see more to be "convinced", but it does make sense because he looks pretty sharp so far this year after having surgery.

He looked equally sharp at this time last year. I don't think anyone should be surprised to this point. If he plays like this in November and December, that's something else. I will be very surprised if that happens.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 09:40:41 AM by NavinRJohnson »

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #751 on: October 06, 2009, 09:47:18 AM »
The more I think about this, the better I feel about it as a Packer fan, and the more concerned I would be as a Viking fan....

Sorry, but I think you might be grasping at straws with that statement.  Green Bay was never really in the game after halftime, regardless of the score, the O line was destroyed for the 2nd time in three weeks, and Minn really did whatever they wanted on offense. 

Did Favre screw the Jet's chances down the stretch last year? Yes.
Will he do it to the Vikes this year? We don't know.  All we know is they are 4-0 and 2-0 in the Division. 

Go Bears.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #752 on: October 06, 2009, 09:49:12 AM »
In the post game show Steve Young and Matt Millen were talking a lot about how Favre's injury last season effected his play.

I know some of you guys think his late season fades had to do with his age, but could his injury be the reason he played poorly the second half of last season?

I'll need to see more to be "convinced", but it does make sense because he looks pretty sharp so far this year after having surgery.

I'm sure that has something to do with it.  But that doesn't explain the late season fades in '05, '06, and '07 as well.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #753 on: October 06, 2009, 09:55:03 AM »

Sorry, but I think you might be grasping at straws with that statement.  Green Bay was never really in the game after halftime, regardless of the score, the O line was destroyed for the 2nd time in three weeks, and Minn really did whatever they wanted on offense. 

No doubt they got their butts whipped. I do also look at Clifton and Bigby potentially coming back which I believe will make a huge difference. Enough difference? I don't know. Believe me, I am holding open the possibility that the Packers just aren't very good. However, I equally hold open the possibility that the two teams will both have 2 losses when they meet again on November 1st, and by the end of that game, the Vikings will be looking up at the Packers, and be face to face with the prospect of their 40 year old QB beginning a slow steady decline to the end of the season.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #754 on: October 06, 2009, 10:07:09 AM »
The more I think about this, the better I feel about it as a Packer fan, and the more concerned I would be as a Viking fan.

Hahah.. we already know there's nothing that could happen this year that would make some of you admit Brett is a great player and the Vikings are a tremendous team.. perfect record and a Super Bowl and you'd still say stupid crap like this.

There was some 400 pound chick Packer Fan (oxymoron?) behind me that could yell pretty loud.. she lasted about 8 minutes into the game, thankfully.  It was almost like the people from this thread were right there with me.  I probably would have been more annoyed, but I was about as a drunk as Miguel Cabrera.  GO TWINS!  VIKES WILL WIN THEIR DIVISION AS THE CONSENSUS PICKED; TWINS WILL WIN AS THE UNDERDOG TODAY, AS USUAL!!!

- a very concerned Jay Bee, after that 'tough' game last night.  Hahahahahahahahaahahahaha
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

LON

• All American
« Reply #755 on: October 06, 2009, 10:08:37 AM »
Favre week 4 against the Cardinals in 2008:  6 touchdown passes

He played a great game, but I just don't see how it lasts.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #756 on: October 06, 2009, 10:12:34 AM »
Favre week 4 against the Cardinals in 2008:  6 touchdown passes

He played a great game, but I just don't see how it lasts.

Maybe he doesn't have a tendon hanging on for dear life in the latter part of this season?  Imagine that.  Crybabies.

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #757 on: October 06, 2009, 10:37:02 AM »
  Hahah.. we already know there's nothing that could happen this year that would make some of you admit Brett is a great player and the Vikings are a tremendous team.. perfect record and a Super Bowl and you'd still say stupid crap like this.

There was some 400 pound chick Packer Fan (oxymoron?) behind me that could yell pretty loud.. she lasted about 8 minutes into the game, thankfully.  It was almost like the people from this thread were right there with me.  I probably would have been more annoyed, but I was about as a drunk as Miguel Cabrera.  GO TWINS!  VIKES WILL WIN THEIR DIVISION AS THE CONSENSUS PICKED; TWINS WILL WIN AS THE UNDERDOG TODAY, AS USUAL!!!

- a very concerned Jay Bee, after that 'tough' game last night.  Hahahahahahahahaahahahaha

Oxymoron - combining two normally contradictory terms.  Failed attempt at an insult.

Moron - .  This guy.  Successful attempt at an insult.

Meeeowwwww.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #758 on: October 06, 2009, 10:40:34 AM »
This guy. 

How many pictures of your family are out there?  My people are only up to 43.  We may need to get 'closer' sooner than later.

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #759 on: October 06, 2009, 12:37:23 PM »
  How many pictures of your family are out there?  My people are only up to 43.  We may need to get 'closer' sooner than later.

What does that even mean? Anyone?

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #760 on: October 06, 2009, 12:39:03 PM »
I believe it means that JB's brain doesn't function as it is supposed to.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #761 on: October 06, 2009, 01:08:38 PM »
The Favre interception, I was curious about this also.  From what I saw at the game, there was no offsides.  I didn't have a great angle but I didn't see anyone jump unless they said someone lined up offsides.  The PI call looked like a joke, they have to let the secondary play once in awhile

LON

• All American
« Reply #762 on: October 06, 2009, 01:11:38 PM »
The Favre interception, I was curious about this also.  From what I saw at the game, there was no offsides.  I didn't have a great angle but I didn't see anyone jump unless they said someone lined up offsides.  The PI call looked like a joke, they have to let the secondary play once in awhile

As someone who played corner and safety, I find it disgusting how much WR's are allowed to get a way with while the defensive back basically has to keep his hands behind his back.

Woodson got his arm around him, but he beat the WR to the ball.  Definitely should have been a no-call.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #763 on: October 06, 2009, 01:11:49 PM »

The pass interference call was very cheap, but Poppinga (51) did jump offsides as well.  Regardless, that was a heck of a football play by Woodson. May have been a very difference game if that interception ends up standing, but who knows.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #764 on: October 06, 2009, 03:54:20 PM »
As someone who played corner and safety, I find it disgusting how much WR's are allowed to get a way with while the defensive back basically has to keep his hands behind his back.

Woodson got his arm around him, but he beat the WR to the ball.  Definitely should have been a no-call.

I played WR and corner in high school.  I agree, you have to let them play, especially when the ball is at the 3 yard line or whatever it was, it's within 5 yards, it didn't give the defender an unfair advantage from what I could tell.

On the offsides, bad angle but never saw it.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #765 on: October 06, 2009, 04:00:44 PM »
Nobody cares what position you played in high school.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #766 on: October 06, 2009, 04:32:05 PM »

I do.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #767 on: October 06, 2009, 04:55:47 PM »

Was this for me or Lance's Other Nut....since both of us were talking about what positions we played.

Thanks

St. Bonaventure High....#12 in the nation in football last week, #2 in California.   ;)  Go Seraphs!!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 04:57:27 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #768 on: October 06, 2009, 05:40:43 PM »
Was this for me or Lance's Other Nut....since both of us were talking about what positions we played.

Thanks

St. Bonaventure High....#12 in the nation in football last week, #2 in California.   ;)  Go Seraphs!!

Both of you.

Nobody cares.

Do you still wear your letter jacket around too?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #769 on: October 06, 2009, 06:43:40 PM »

Both of you.

Nobody cares.

Do you still wear your letter jacket around too?

Apparently you do because you're commenting on it, no one else seemed to mind that much that felt the need to comment.  

Yes, I wear my letterman's jacket to bed each night and my wife still puts on her cheerleading uniform....it's crazy at the Chico house.  How about you?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #770 on: October 06, 2009, 07:09:08 PM »
Erin Rodgers is not a winner.  Love him all you want, but he's not a winner.  Favre is.  The Minnesota Vikings' Brett Favre is.

When I see people use overused sports cliches like "Rodgers is not a winner," it leads me to believe that you have no idea what you are talking about.  There are three things that make Favre a better quarterback than Rodgers is at this point.

First, he is more talented.   As a Packer fan, I realize that Favre is very likely a once-in-my-lifetime talent as a Packer quarterback.  Rodgers is very good, but he'll never be Brett Favre.  Second, he's a veteran.  He's seen it all.  Some of the little things he did last night were the result of 17 years in the league.  Rodgers will get there once he has more experience.  Third, he's got a much better supporting cast...especially offensive line.

It has nothing to do with Favre being "a winner," and Rodgers "not being a winner."  That's just local sports radio bullsh*t.

(By the way, I hope you realize that when you intentionally misspell names and insist on redefining words like "consensus," that it will cause most users on this group to question the legitimacy of the non-football opinions you express here.)

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #771 on: October 06, 2009, 07:30:27 PM »
When I see people use overused sports cliches like "Rodgers is not a winner," it leads me to believe that you have no idea what you are talking about.  There are three things that make Favre a better quarterback than Rodgers is at this point.

...that it will cause most users on this group to question the legitimacy of the non-football opinions you express here.)

When I see people talk in hyperbole, such as, "it will cause most users", it leads me to believe that you're dumb.  "Rodgers is not a winner" is a fact - Favre had what?...one losing season over 17 years?  He's a winner.  Rodgers factually is not. 

You say that Favre is a better QB and your reasons indicate that you believe this season, right now, Favre is a better QB than Rodgers.  It's good to hear a Packers fan say that.  I don't think many of your butties on here would agree.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #772 on: October 06, 2009, 07:42:21 PM »
  When I see people talk in hyperbole, such as, "it will cause most users", it leads me to believe that you're dumb.  "Rodgers is not a winner" is a fact - Favre had what?...one losing season over 17 years?  He's a winner.  Rodgers factually is not.

Well, I am not dumb.  So your beliefs are inaccurate.

Favre was on winning teams because he is objectively a better quarterback and had an objectively better supporting cast.  Outside of that, there is no subjective quality that makes him more of "a winner" than Rodgers.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #773 on: October 06, 2009, 07:54:25 PM »
Favre was on winning teams because he is objectively a better quarterback and had an objectively better supporting cast.  Outside of that, there is no subjective quality that makes him more of "a winner" than Rodgers.

There is absolutely a subjective quality that makes Favre more of a winner than Rodgers.  You're flat out wrong.  Ever hear of Favre's "magic"? 

In addition, last season Favre went to a sh1t team that was 4-12 the prior year.. he turned them into a winning team.  Meanwhile, Erin Rodgers was on a team that was supposed to compete for the NFC North title and they went 6-10. 

MUBBau

• Team Captain
« Reply #774 on: October 06, 2009, 07:59:08 PM »
So you are basing whether or not someone is a winner by their first season as a starter?

feedback