'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: FREE THROW ISSUES  (Read 6503 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: FREE THROW ISSUES
« Reply #75 on: March 25, 2024, 03:27:51 PM »
This thread being way hotter than the one discussing the sweet 16 opponent is…something

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #76 on: March 25, 2024, 03:28:15 PM »
This thread being way hotter than the one discussing the sweet 16 opponent is…something
I think the Kolek Legacy thread devolving into another Markus Howard bashing thread better encapsulates the 'Scoop experience.

FairWeatherEagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #77 on: March 25, 2024, 03:30:05 PM »
Grandpa type of conversation going on.

Totally right!!  FT NoMAtta! YES They do!! Its true. As I am a grandpa wanna-be,  I feel the curmudgeon coming out. Why do we start holding on so tight to our opinions? Certainly there is truth out there. But even True Truth...does it need to be defended so vigorously.  You say, "scoop is just a fun outlet" ... let us have our fun and argue and be on our way.  BUT I can tell it goes pretty deep for some of these guys.

So I'm going to try and stay a FairweatherEagle although my nature fights against it.   When MU finally loses (or wears the crown :) ), I'm going to fly away from Scoop....maybe I'll be back next year to cheer on whoever walks onto the Fiserv court...to do what UCONN could not....REPEAT AS NATIONAL CHAMPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #78 on: March 25, 2024, 03:34:12 PM »
I think the Kolek Legacy thread devolving into another Markus Howard bashing thread better encapsulates the 'Scoop experience.

Howard embodied Shaka's "eff it" approach to shooting

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #79 on: March 25, 2024, 03:35:54 PM »
No Finish Line

MU82

• All American
« Reply #80 on: March 25, 2024, 03:54:06 PM »
How many MU losses this season were due at least partially to missed free throws, in your (universal your, not just Jockey) opinion?

Absolutely zero.

One could have argued that the near-collapse against St. John's would have made it 1 had we lost, but we didn't.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #81 on: March 25, 2024, 04:55:44 PM »
Keeping our opponent from getting offensive rebounds, that is getting second or third chances at scoring is more of concern. Maybe I should have started a thread REBOUNDING ISSUES.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #82 on: March 25, 2024, 04:57:57 PM »

And the quickness in which that happened was truly Scoompressive.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #83 on: March 25, 2024, 05:24:12 PM »
Texas A&M missed 16 free throws and 15 threes. Two more made threes = six more made free throws. That would have raised TAMU up to 78% FT% and 3FGM to   43%. Which was more likely to occur?

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #84 on: March 25, 2024, 05:56:29 PM »
Colorado scored a point more than MU in FTs 5-4 and shot 21% better from the line
Goal is National Championship

Judge Smails

• All American
« Reply #85 on: March 25, 2024, 07:55:01 PM »
I talked to a guy today that is a certified knower of ball and he said that free throws do matter.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #86 on: March 25, 2024, 07:55:52 PM »
Keeping our opponent from getting offensive rebounds, that is getting second or third chances at scoring is more of concern. Maybe I should have started a thread REBOUNDING ISSUES.

Not unless you want to get beat up as badly as Porky did.   :D
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #87 on: March 25, 2024, 08:05:41 PM »
Maybe its me, but if you read most of the post in this thread without context, its hard to determine if they are saying FT matta or FT no matta.

Context matta or no matta?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #88 on: March 25, 2024, 08:51:41 PM »
Colorado scored a point more than MU in FTs 5-4 and shot 21% better from the line

If you're a bettor, this definitely mastered Sunday.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #89 on: March 25, 2024, 09:29:40 PM »
I’d much rather talk about EGBs than free throws.

I’d argue that the most important part of free throws is that it’s a personal EGB- guys seem to get down on themselves and it seems to affect their play when they are missing key freebies.

I saw a few people mention that they were extremely confident when Jop went to the line- how could you not be the way he played that game?
Kid was playing like he was shot out of a cannon

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #90 on: March 25, 2024, 09:47:06 PM »
If you're a bettor, this definitely mastered Sunday.
That is a different issue you sinner.
Goal is National Championship

Viper

• All American
« Reply #91 on: March 26, 2024, 09:28:53 AM »
I talked to a guy today that is a certified knower of ball and he said that free throws do matter.
you tight with Gard, brah?

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #92 on: March 26, 2024, 09:29:43 AM »
I'm way more concerned with Blk%. I'd start a thread but Muggsy's probably already beaten me to it.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #93 on: March 26, 2024, 09:34:33 AM »
I'm way more concerned with Blk%. I'd start a thread but Muggsy's probably already beaten me to it.

He probably has a salvo of posts ready to launch with predictions for next season's team through January, and you're asking whether or not he's got one ready for Blk%? Get another cup of coffee.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #94 on: March 26, 2024, 09:44:46 AM »
Those that remember when the FT No Matta began, I believe it was FT% related to team success.

Of course there are a few games a year that may have been won if a team shot 80% from the line.  But in the long run there probably are more games that could have been won if the Reb% was higher.  Or eFG%, or points allowed per 100.

No doubt making more FT's, and even attempting more FT's will produce more points, but there are many more statistics that equate directly to more wins.

Top FT% team in the country each of the last two years?  Villanova, both years. 
I wonder if they polish that trophy every day.

YaBlueIt

• Starter
« Reply #95 on: March 26, 2024, 09:47:15 AM »
I’ll just leave this here.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #96 on: March 26, 2024, 09:50:02 AM »
Doesn’t that chart point to attempts—it’s no secret that we don’t get to the line as much as other teams. 

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #97 on: March 26, 2024, 10:17:03 AM »
Right. That's way more a free throw rate issue than a free throw percentage issue.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #98 on: March 26, 2024, 10:25:28 AM »
Those that remember when the FT No Matta began, I believe it was FT% related to team success.

Of course there are a few games a year that may have been won if a team shot 80% from the line.  But in the long run there probably are more games that could have been won if the Reb% was higher.  Or eFG%, or points allowed per 100.

No doubt making more FT's, and even attempting more FT's will produce more points, but there are many more statistics that equate directly to more wins.

Top FT% team in the country each of the last two years?  Villanova, both years. 
I wonder if they polish that trophy every day.

This is exactly right.  It's all about FT% not correlating to team wins.  Getting to the line (free throw rate) is way more important than what you do when you are there.

I will put this another way. If a team is fouled every single time they are on offense, and shoots free throws at a godawful rate of 60% (which would be second-to-last in all of college basketball this year), they would have the most efficient offense in the country. (1.2 points per possession v. UConn's 1.198)

And yes I assumed every free throw was a 2-shot attempt because I was a Political Science major so I make the math easy.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #99 on: March 26, 2024, 10:31:51 AM »

Correct.  #FTNoMatta is poorly named but #teamft%hasnocorrelationwithteamsuccess was too clunky
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.