[Today at 01:06:18 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by Hards Alumni
[Today at 09:57:34 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by warriorchick
[May 18, 2024, 07:14:15 PM]

Home and Home with Maryland by WhiteTrash
[May 18, 2024, 01:04:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bill Scholl Retiring  (Read 10374 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Bill Scholl Retiring
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2024, 10:21:57 AM »
I wonder how long the athletic department has known about his retirement plans. I wonder if Shaka knew when he turned down interviews with Kentucky, Louisville, and Michigan. If so, that’s a great sign. Also, it might mean it’s Broeker’s job to lose

100% yes he knew at that time.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2024, 10:32:09 AM »
This may be from a few years ago, but wasn't Broeker a finalist for St. John's AD (before it went to Cragg)?

That was the rumor
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2024, 10:59:06 AM »

Mike deserves the job if he wants it.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2024, 12:24:22 PM »
Mike deserves the job if he wants it.

Novak and Jerel endorsed him via Twitter today
Bring back FFP!!!

MU1980

• Starter
« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2024, 01:26:28 PM »
Bill did a wonderful job as AD, overseeing a tremendous growth period for the athletic department as a whole. Olympic sports seemed to really improve with facilities and resources in the past ten years.  Among other things, he will likely most be remembered for hiring Shaka.

Hope he enjoys retirement.

Please tell the men's and women's track and cross country teams, as well as the men's and women's tennis teams how good Scholl was for Olympic sports when they have had their scholarships taken away and yet are still expected to compete at an NCAA division 1 and Big East level.  Also, the tennis courts are going down from 6 to 4 at Helfaer despite huge disagreements regarding that decision.  Lastly, the track teams, which have been around for 100 years and feature Olympians, world record holders, NCAA champions and many, many conference team and individual titles, still do not have an indoor track facility to practice on or host meets.  I was told in the early 80's that an indoor track would be coming soon!!  Over 40 years later and still nothing, although it has been talked about in recent years and a few times it actually looked like it was going to happen, but of course, it never did. 

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2024, 03:08:08 PM »
Please tell the men's and women's track and cross country teams, as well as the men's and women's tennis teams how good Scholl was for Olympic sports when they have had their scholarships taken away and yet are still expected to compete at an NCAA division 1 and Big East level.  Also, the tennis courts are going down from 6 to 4 at Helfaer despite huge disagreements regarding that decision.  Lastly, the track teams, which have been around for 100 years and feature Olympians, world record holders, NCAA champions and many, many conference team and individual titles, still do not have an indoor track facility to practice on or host meets.  I was told in the early 80's that an indoor track would be coming soon!!  Over 40 years later and still nothing, although it has been talked about in recent years and a few times it actually looked like it was going to happen, but of course, it never did.

It is a shame.  Never like to hear the  athletic department is not thriving enough to keep these scholarships.  Any others on the future chopping block?

MU1980

• Starter
« Reply #56 on: May 08, 2024, 04:38:10 PM »

It is a shame.  Never like to hear the  athletic department is not thriving enough to keep these scholarships.  Any others on the future chopping block?

I do not believe any other sports are having scholarships taken away.  Basically what happened is that the athletic department decided that Lacrosse was more important to Marquette than track/cross country/tennis, despite those sports having a long history of amazing athletes and teams and some very wealthy donors.  So many people don't know that one of our most famous and wealthy Marquette alumni, Marcus Lemonis, was a track athlete and he has been very generous to Marquette over the years.  Marquette track and cross country is a bit unique in collegiate sports in that they count for three sports for men and three for women, with a Big East and national championship each year for cross country, indoor track and outdoor track.  So 8 of our Big East sports, when you include men's and women's tennis, had their scholarships taken away, while recently added sports like Lacrosse continue to keep their scholarships.  And in no way am I saying Lacrosse should also lose their scholarships.  If you want to be a Division I school, you need to fund your programs as such and have all of your teams be given the tools to be a successful at the division I and Big east level. 

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2024, 04:42:46 PM »
I do not believe any other sports are having scholarships taken away.  Basically what happened is that the athletic department decided that Lacrosse was more important to Marquette than track/cross country/tennis, despite those sports having a long history of amazing athletes and teams and some very wealthy donors.  So many people don't know that one of our most famous and wealthy Marquette alumni, Marcus Lemonis, was a track athlete and he has been very generous to Marquette over the years.  Marquette track and cross country is a bit unique in collegiate sports in that they count for three sports for men and three for women, with a Big East and national championship each year for cross country, indoor track and outdoor track.  So 8 of our Big East sports, when you include men's and women's tennis, had their scholarships taken away, while recently added sports like Lacrosse continue to keep their scholarships.  And in no way am I saying Lacrosse should also lose their scholarships.  If you want to be a Division I school, you need to fund your programs as such and have all of your teams be given the tools to be a successful at the division I and Big east level.

Could a big push of these former wealthy alumni endow some of these scholarships? 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #58 on: May 08, 2024, 04:49:56 PM »
Maigh Eo for Sam

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2024, 05:04:25 PM »
Query, as I don’t know- is it possible to make a donation, small as it might be, directly to those impacted programs? Much as we all here love the bball team, those students deserve support as well.

MU1980

• Starter
« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2024, 05:14:02 PM »
Someone did for tennis

https://www.marquette.edu/news-center/2023/alumnus-gives-1-million-to-establish-endowed-tennis-scholarships.php

That is awesome that a former tennis player donated that much money for endowed scholarships.  It looks like that is certainly one way a wealthy donor can help these teams, by creating an endowed scholarship (s).  I believe the track team has one endowed scholarship on the books, which does not go a long way for a team with 30-40 athletes.  I am sure there will be some wealthy track and cross country alumni that will be willing to donate (unfortunately I am not in a position to do so), but there is also some anger out there that Marquette is not supporting its entire athletic department and is picking and choosing which teams are a priority.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2024, 05:51:51 PM »
Someone did for tennis

https://www.marquette.edu/news-center/2023/alumnus-gives-1-million-to-establish-endowed-tennis-scholarships.php

That’s cool. Any idea what that means for the team and athletic aid? Combined the two teams can get up to 12.5 scholarships, which would be around $850,000 (before other forms of aid) to cover that equivalency.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2024, 05:53:37 PM by Billy Hoyle »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #62 on: May 08, 2024, 05:58:35 PM »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #63 on: May 08, 2024, 07:37:35 PM »

• All American
« Reply #64 on: May 08, 2024, 07:39:19 PM »
Query, as I don’t know- is it possible to make a donation, small as it might be, directly to those impacted programs? Much as we all here love the bball team, those students deserve support as well.

Yes, my guess is that you can donate toward any of the athletic teams. However it would likely support the operations of the team and not the financial aid for the students.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2024, 08:49:38 AM »
Yes, my guess is that you can donate toward any of the athletic teams. However it would likely support the operations of the team and not the financial aid for the students.

as a part of Give Marquette Day, there were a few options to donate to specific teams for things like travel and operations. There are a number of endowed scholarships for athletes that supplement the institutional athletics aid given to athletes as well.

• All American
« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2024, 08:52:13 AM »
as a part of Give Marquette Day, there were a few options to donate to specific teams for things like travel and operations. There are a number of endowed scholarships for athletes that supplement the institutional athletics aid given to athletes as well.

Right. But I don't think those are for specific sports, unless I am mis-remembering.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #67 on: May 09, 2024, 09:16:31 AM »
If the University already has a short list, it's a shame they have to go through the dog and pony show of hiring a search firm to demonstrate that they have done their due diligence.

It's a six-figure waste of money.
Have some patience, FFS.

• All American
« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2024, 09:19:17 AM »
If the University already has a short list, it's a shame they have to go through the dog and pony show of hiring a search firm to demonstrate that they have done their due diligence.

University policy may require it for VP level positions. A lot of schools have such policies to make sure that it is as competitive a search as possible.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #69 on: May 09, 2024, 09:33:51 AM »
I vote 4ever.

Thanks for da support kin, but da gig duzant pay 'nough ta hang in The Quon, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #70 on: May 09, 2024, 10:40:06 AM »
Right. But I don't think those are for specific sports, unless I am mis-remembering.

there were options for specific sports and their "excellence" funds. My wife and I gave to the Volleyball Travel Fund and received a nice thank you note from Natalie Ring. They are such a fun team to watch and wanted to show our support for them.

• All American
« Reply #71 on: May 09, 2024, 10:43:01 AM »
there were options for specific sports and their "excellence" funds. My wife and I gave to the Volleyball Travel Fund and received a nice thank you note from Natalie Ring. They are such a fun team to watch and wanted to show our support for them.

I'm not explaining myself well..

There were sport specific "excellence funds," but any financial aid for athletes couldn't be directed to a specific sport.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #72 on: May 09, 2024, 11:54:18 AM »

I'm not explaining myself well..

There were sport specific "excellence funds," but any financial aid for athletes couldn't be directed to a specific sport.

Gotcha. I probably created confusion when I mentioned endowed scholarships along with the Excellence Funds. My bad.  What is concerning to me is a high-level department like MU is out there fundraising so one of our elite teams has enough money to travel but this may be the new reality of college sports (all money goes to the revenue sports), especially if SAs are deemed employees.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2024, 12:13:52 PM by Billy Hoyle »

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #73 on: May 09, 2024, 12:43:26 PM »

My guess is Bill Scholl has someone he knows and has worked with waiting in the wings. I trust his judgement on who would be the right guy/gal for the job. 

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #74 on: May 09, 2024, 02:18:54 PM »
My guess is Bill Scholl has someone he knows and has worked with waiting in the wings. I trust his judgement on who would be the right guy/gal for the job.

If that is the case (I think you are on the right path, Herman) my guess is the early finalists are Broeker and Josetti internally, Hardin (Drake), and maybe Pintens externally (though I don't think Pintens ever worked with Scholl).