'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Conference Comparables: BE is best  (Read 4517 times)

🏀

• All American
Re: Conference Comparables: BE is best
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2022, 11:03:45 PM »
Could you imagine being all jacked up about your small D-1 school making the tournament only to find out you have to play in Dayton, Ohio?

Disgusting. I just threw up a little bit.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2022, 05:42:18 AM »
I agree.  The at large play in games are more interesting to watch.

This is why I'm an advocate for expansion to 72 and a second play in site (I'd suggest Omaha). Ratings wise, the at-large play-in games always get better ratings and if you had 4 games per night, it would make that Tuesday/Wednesday feel like the tourney was really getting started. Most of the additional bids (and tourney credits) would go to high majors, which should gain their support. And it would also insure the bottom 16 were actually the bottom teams. The current setup is riskier for the big boys because taking 2 of the worst teams off the table means 14/16 protected seeds have to face teams that are better than their position would indicate.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2022, 07:09:33 AM »
Could you imagine being all jacked up about your small D-1 school making the tournament only to find out you have to play in Dayton, Ohio?

Disgusting. I just threw up a little bit.

The Cavalier courtesy cars are a nice bene.

Eye

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2022, 08:12:09 AM »
Recalling there's also a rule where both of the champions of the HBCU leagues can not both play in the play-in games.

The Mini However Many has won one title since I've been in high school. I turned 50 in October.
GO WARRIORS!

IL Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2022, 09:46:11 AM »
Recalling there's also a rule where both of the champions of the HBCU leagues can not both play in the play-in games.

The Mini However Many has won one title since I've been in high school. I turned 50 in October.
Not true. MEAC and SWAC champions both played in play-in games in 2018, 2019, and 2021. They even played against each other in 2018.

This may have been a rule in the past, particularly when there was only one play-in game. During that time (2001-2010), 9 out of 10 tournaments featured exactly one MEAC/SWAC champion in the play-in game. The only exception was 2001 (Southland vs Big South).

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2022, 09:49:41 AM »
There has only been four second weekend teams not named Villanova since the new BE inception. Not great - it surprised me when I looked it up.

I agree it's not ideal, I'm only saying one could argue that Xavier has pulled their weight as their program has never shown the ability to make a Final Four. So bringing in an Elite 8 and a Sweet 16 in 5 bids in 7 tournament eligible seasons seems like a pretty decent advancement percentage.

Everyone else from us and GTown (expectations were the anchors of the BE) to Prov and Hall (who have been consistently good and flopping in the tournament) have been huge disappointments.
Maigh Eo for Sam

panda

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2022, 10:59:01 AM »
I agree it's not ideal, I'm only saying one could argue that Xavier has pulled their weight as their program has never shown the ability to make a Final Four. So bringing in an Elite 8 and a Sweet 16 in 5 bids in 7 tournament eligible seasons seems like a pretty decent advancement percentage.

Everyone else from us and GTown (expectations were the anchors of the BE) to Prov and Hall (who have been consistently good and flopping in the tournament) have been huge disappointments.

Yep totally agree. Time for mu to change the tides.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2022, 06:42:48 PM »
What's also notable is that many of the former BE staples (Syracuse, Louisville, Pitt, BC, WV) are down.

Don't know about the others, but I have a lot of family and friends who are BC alums. BC chased the football money after they hit the jackpot with Flutie.

In football, they're 59-77 in ACC comp. In hoops, their leftover BE talent made them 33-17 in their first two years in the ACC, and that's when they won their last game in the dance. Since, they are 83-178 in the league, basically losing two for every one they win.

Hope they're enjoying the money but the alums I know aren't happy.

Eye

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2022, 08:24:38 AM »
Not true. MEAC and SWAC champions both played in play-in games in 2018, 2019, and 2021. They even played against each other in 2018.

This may have been a rule in the past, particularly when there was only one play-in game. During that time (2001-2010), 9 out of 10 tournaments featured exactly one MEAC/SWAC champion in the play-in game. The only exception was 2001 (Southland vs Big South).

Thanks I Warrior. As you said, must no longer be the case. But I most definitely recall it being the case at some point. And I didn't like it much. If you're in the worst pool of teams, improve and get to the point where you're no longer in the worst pool of teams.
GO WARRIORS!

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2022, 09:23:10 AM »
Obviously, the NCAA tournament is still to be played (and the official field, for that matter), but with a projected 7 of 11 teams in the field, this percentage leads all other leagues (Big 12 at 6/10).

MU's surprise rise in '21-22 is a big part of it.  UCONN returning to prominence has been great, too. Credit to the players, coaches & admin of the BE schools for creating the best men's basketball conference in the country.  A few BE teams in the SS and FF would solidify the claim.  What's also notable is that many of the former BE staples (Syracuse, Louisville, Pitt, BC, WV) are down.

The point is that we're in the upper half of the best league in college basketball, and that's where we belong. We have a lot to be thankful for as fans.

https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/page/bracketology/ncaa-bracketology-projecting-2022-march-madness-men-field
Amen to that. Bit remember, our conference does have DePaul and GT, which right now are big drags on conference.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

feedback