[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 09:15:16 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Hosting an NIT game  (Read 8782 times)

ecompt

• All American
Re: Hosting an NIT game
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2017, 08:31:45 PM »
Do you not remember 2015? Was having Derrick and Juan as starters that long ago?

Absolutely, and both were light years better on defense than anyone on this year's team. While player for player the team is marginally better, at the same time the league has gotten much better. I honestly don't know if Wojo can bring in the type of players you need to win in this conference. I believe his job hinges on next year's freshmen and Harry each playing 30 effective minutes a night.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2017, 09:02:20 PM »
Glad more people are starting to see it...Wojo just isn't the answer. I was skeptical at the time that after the Shaka snub, that MU just "settled" after that. It was like they decided they just wanted to get it done quickly. I thought Wojo could recruit, but always questioned whether he could truly coach. I think we are seeing the answer. I know after 14 years, I am 90% going to not renew my season tickets next year..it's sad because it's truly a passion for me, but it's just so hard to watch Mike Deane level basketball again. After 7-8 years being in the tourney, 3 sweet 16's and an elite 8..never in my life did I think i would see MU fall to this level again. A year or two sure but this is at the point now where you seriously have to wonder if MU will ever get back to that level again, at least under Wojo. I'm not seeing it. And next year isn't going to be any better.

I also was against the Wojo hire. With Howland out there I thought it was ridiculous. I think Wojo's recruiting has been decent, i thought his coaching up until the last 10 games was awful. The last 10 he has been decent.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2017, 09:05:11 PM »
Brew

To be fair, many on here supported Derrick. That is my problem is blindly supporting. No college kid should be bashed on here but program or coach are open to criticism IMO. I remember watching the pro Derrick posts and being shocked.

My first account got a permanent ban because I was adamantly against Derrick and one day I missed a game and asked for an update, that game Derrick got benched and someone went off in the chat (it was chicos) and I got banned by Rocky for it. Lol.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2017, 09:05:47 PM »
Ben Howland?  Eh...no thanks.

I was more about Cuanzo. 

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2017, 09:10:39 PM »
I wanted a tested and proven coach. Something that would give the program prestige. Are last 3 hires have all been unknowns. 2 of them turned out to be hits. The last one the jury is still out.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2017, 09:32:21 PM »
I wanted a tested and proven coach. Something that would give the program prestige. Are last 3 hires have all been unknowns. 2 of them turned out to be hits. The last one the jury is still out.

I just think after MU had Shaka, and then didn't, they just kind of "punted" and took Wojo. It was almost as if they were resigned to the fact that they couldn't be "big time" and they hired Wojo. I wasn't that big on Cuonzo or Howland either, but I just think they should have taken more time and made sure that someone wasnt going to enter the race late.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2017, 10:34:53 PM »
Doesn't Shaka's tenure at Texas thus far show that this is an inexact science at best?

Who would have been a better realistic option that year? Especially considering there was no interest in Howland and Martin botched the interview?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2017, 10:36:21 PM »
Brew

I agree with you some extent but not completely. Obviously there are over reactions on both sides of the discussion. My problem is that many are blindly optimistic all the time. I want this program to succeed and succeed at a very high level but not going to follow the herd that is everything is always rosy.
IMO, the program is nowhere near I think it should be. I'm in the minority but getting HE has been Wojo's biggest win, aside from Nova game. Considering the team did nothing last year and HE is gone it really is a symbolic win in my mind.
I can 100% say I have no idea what the answer is to make things better. Can also add with a lot of confidence that something needs to be fixed.

There's a difference between blind optimism and focusing on how we can get better. I think I'm one of the "blind optimists" you are referring too. I'm well aware of the warts this team has. I think more than most. Preseason I picked us to finish 7th in conference and fighting for an NIT bid. Hardly an optimistic prediction. I'll admit I got a little drunk after the Nova game but for the most part I have kept that prediction in the back of my head. Every time we have hit a speed bump I have been angry and frustrated. I know everything could fall apart and we could be banished to the Dukiet years again. But I also know that we could get back on the right track and win our way into the tournament.

Fans come in different varieties. As annoyed as I get with some types of fans, the type of fan they are doesn't make them better or worse fans. Just different. All fans get frustrated when we lose. Some focus on the loss. I prefer to talk about the loss and how the team can get better. In the end, what we do as fans doesn't make a lick of difference. Just different coping mechanisms.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2017, 10:40:17 PM »
Brew

To be fair, many on here supported Derrick. That is my problem is blindly supporting. No college kid should be bashed on here but program or coach are open to criticism IMO. I remember watching the pro Derrick posts and being shocked.

I was pro-Derrick in the sense that he was the best of a lot of bad options. But my god he was a terrible option. I don't think any of the other "pro-Derrick" people would disagree.
TAMU

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2017, 10:42:48 PM »
Never take the eyes off the prize.
It should ALWAYS be the NCAAs.

But a long NIT run will benefit this club.
Allows JJJ, Fischer, and Katin to have the longest last year of bkb
and the Fr and So to get tournament minutes in.

...of course, barring injuries that could be sustained...

NIT games were fun when I was at MU (90s).
SS Marquette

muguru

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2017, 10:46:15 PM »
Doesn't Shaka's tenure at Texas thus far show that this is an inexact science at best?

Who would have been a better realistic option that year? Especially considering there was no interest in Howland and Martin botched the interview?

Money can make even the most unrealistic options perhaps realistic. I think if MU were to say.. make said head coach the highest paid in college basketball, you don't think some coaches that may not have listened before, all of a sudden their ears might perk up a bit??

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2017, 10:54:23 PM »
Money can make even the most unrealistic options perhaps realistic. I think if MU were to say.. make said head coach the highest paid in college basketball, you don't think some coaches that may not have listened before, all of a sudden their ears might perk up a bit??

You don't get the chance to make someone the highest paid until they show interest. And what would we do, put out a $10M bounty on a new coach? That's what it would take to outspend Duke and Kentucky. That's also roughly 80% of the basketball budget on one guy. Unless you're suggesting they hire you and I as assistants...

muguru

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2017, 11:00:12 PM »
You don't get the chance to make someone the highest paid until they show interest. And what would we do, put out a $10M bounty on a new coach? That's what it would take to outspend Duke and Kentucky. That's also roughly 80% of the basketball budget on one guy. Unless you're suggesting they hire you and I as assistants...

Do you know anything about coaching defense?? Because admittedly, in HS I was an offensive guy myself. :) I'm in for being an assistant if you are. Could it be any worse than what we have seen lately??

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2017, 11:02:51 PM »
I'm a firm believer it could always be worse. And me running the defense...yeah, that'd be much worse  ;D

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2017, 12:02:21 AM »

Isn't marquette close to the top on spending of basketball? It's not like we have other programs that eat athletic costs.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2017, 12:10:32 AM »
Stop talking about how wojo isn't the answer. The season isn't over we can turn this around

Norm

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 12, 2017, 12:29:32 AM »
Glad more people are starting to see it...Wojo just isn't the answer. I was skeptical at the time that after the Shaka snub, that MU just "settled" after that. It was like they decided they just wanted to get it done quickly. I thought Wojo could recruit, but always questioned whether he could truly coach. I think we are seeing the answer. I know after 14 years, I am 90% going to not renew my season tickets next year..it's sad because it's truly a passion for me, but it's just so hard to watch Mike Deane level basketball again. After 7-8 years being in the tourney, 3 sweet 16's and an elite 8..never in my life did I think i would see MU fall to this level again. A year or two sure but this is at the point now where you seriously have to wonder if MU will ever get back to that level again, at least under Wojo. I'm not seeing it. And next year isn't going to be any better.
Yeah, it would really suck to be watching a team that busted their balls every night, beat teams they should never had come close to beating (Cincy, Louisville, etc.), go to 2 NCAAs, 2 NITs in 5 year span, and have 4 winning conference records out of 5. At this point I'd take Mike Deane coaching this bunch of guys, yes.

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2017, 03:35:31 AM »
Seems like a mistake.  We'll renew next year.  But we're headed back to an inexpensive ticket plan that facilitates our 'coming up when we feel like it'.  It's how we began around 10 years ago.  I can still remember convincing chick that the very modest investment ($99pp then) was worth it.  Coming every game when both our kids were in school AND the team was outstanding was worth it. And little did I know that she would become MU's biggest female superfan.  But even she's had enough.  We've turned off the TV early both games this week. Better things to do and not worth getting depressed over. 

We absolutely always enjoy mingling with our friends.  But an empty building for a 8p start on a Tuesday when we do zero socializing is only worth it if we get to watch great basketball.  Being there for Nova this year was beyond special.  But anything approaching those special moments are way too infrequent these days.  Candidly, I had wanted to make the change this year but was out voted.  But even chick begrudgingly knows it's the right decision going forward.

Wojo, just win and we'll be back in our high roller seats. And I suspect we speak for hundreds if not thousands.  Burden is on you coach.  We'll be paying attention.

There's a lot of talk about trolls and such, but fans should look at the post above and understand this is the outlook of most MU fans these days.  Brew can attempt to justify coach's defense, 82 can cite Coach K, but they're anomalies.  Even the diehards are receding, and this program can't survive without them, especially if idiots demand they respect the failing process. Wojo will survive this season.  If he doesn't make the tournament next year, he should be handed his walking papers.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2017, 07:02:33 AM »
Brew

I agree with you some extent but not completely. Obviously there are over reactions on both sides of the discussion. My problem is that many are blindly optimistic all the time. I want this program to succeed and succeed at a very high level but not going to follow the herd that is everything is always rosy.
IMO, the program is nowhere near I think it should be. I'm in the minority but getting HE has been Wojo's biggest win, aside from Nova game. Considering the team did nothing last year and HE is gone it really is a symbolic win in my mind.
I can 100% say I have no idea what the answer is to make things better. Can also add with a lot of confidence that something needs to be fixed.

Goose

From the cheap seats:
It would seem that the program is mired in mediocrity.
Right now there is considerable disappointment if not down right disgust with the direction of the program.
Everything points to another failed season.

Would a coaching change help?
Or should we give the boy wonder another year?
Jury is still out for some.
Only time will tell.

Death on call

muguru

• All American
« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2017, 07:57:26 AM »
The real question is...how do the major donors feel?? They will ultimately be the one's to make the decision in a lot of ways.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2017, 08:07:40 AM »
Keefe

I hope you get a chance to read JS online today. The 100 years of basketball history is quite amazing and being able to live the glory years up close was a gift. That said, the need to make MU ball big time should be very high on everyone's priority list.

MU is known more for basketball than anything else and it should be embraced. Like any business you need to highlight your strengths and shore up your weakness. At this point the ball program is not close to being a strength.

Hope all is well out your way. I am working on closing an account out your way and will let you know in advance if I get out your way.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2017, 10:12:06 AM »
The real question is...how do the major donors feel?? They will ultimately be the one's to make the decision in a lot of ways.

I hope Marquette isn't that short sighted.

But given that we brought in record level donations earlier this year, I think we're doing fine on that front
TAMU

muguru

• All American
« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2017, 10:13:32 AM »
I hope Marquette isn't that short sighted.

But given that we brought in record level donations earlier this year, I think we're doing fine on that front
[/b]

For the school or the BB program?? I care only about the BB program.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2017, 10:15:44 AM »
I'm telling y'all. Barring a bottom two finish in the Big East next year, Wojo is here a minimum of two more seasons.
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #74 on: February 12, 2017, 10:16:15 AM »
[/b]

For the school or the BB program?? I care only about the BB program.

My understanding is both
TAMU

feedback