[Today at 05:11:05 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by brewcity77
[May 03, 2024, 08:27:54 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Next years backcourt  (Read 5552 times)

Warrior of Law

• All American
Next years backcourt
« on: March 23, 2012, 12:06:28 AM »
Junior and Vander.  That'll be interesting.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

muwarrior97

• All American
  • CALVACADE OF BRICKS
Re: Next years backcourt
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 12:08:29 AM »
Most hated backcourt on any internet board
#RGV #ReturnTheWarriorMindset

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 12:10:40 AM »
i really hope mayo is starting at some point in the season clearly a superior basketball player over blue

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 12:11:46 AM »
Junior, Blue and Mayo might all start.

IrritatedWhiteCat

• Walk-On
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 12:13:06 AM »
You have no idea how good TJ Taylor is.  If he does not have character issues he will be better than DJO

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 12:13:22 AM »
thank God we should have a good front court with Wilson, Gardner and Otule....

when is the last time we said that about a MU team?

chapman

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 12:13:40 AM »
Mayo will start.  Calling it now: He will also be our best player.

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 12:14:28 AM »
Mayo starts over Blue next year, I don't have any doubts. I think Marquette will actually play a more traditional lineup and play Jamil at the 3 and possibly Steve at the 4. I think we have a good team. Look at the jump Jae took from this year to last year...Someone else will make that jump.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 12:14:37 AM »
thank God we should have a good front court with Wilson, Gardner and Otule....

when is the last time we said that about a MU team?

How long will Otule be healthy?   Gardner?   Wilson shouldn't even be a big.  

Norm

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 12:54:20 AM »
You have no idea how good TJ Taylor is.  If he does not have character issues he will be better than DJO
I hope you are correct in your assessment.

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 01:06:56 AM »
I wonder if Blue can handle a limited, non-starting role.  He really would good off the bench to add some energy defensively and spelling Mayo and Junior.

Wilson, Otule and Gardner is a solid front line. That 2/3 spot will make the difference.  Seems like there will be some talent to choose from.  With that said, MU will be fine next year.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

Dreadman24

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2012, 01:20:30 AM »
Worst backcourt in the big east if Cadougan and Blue is starting next year. I think Mayo should start. Really wish Duane Wilson was coming next year because Cadougan is not the answer at Point. Forgive me for sounding so critical.

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2012, 01:58:00 AM »
awesome first post. worst BE backcourt?

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2012, 02:00:37 AM »
Cadougan: distributor and tempo setter. No confidence in shooting the ball but will occasionally take it to the hole.

Blue: can be a shut down defender and thrives in transition game (though he feigns contact when taking it to the hole). No outside shot is a liability.

Mayo: good shooter but can be streaky. Explosive to the hole. Not ideal height and build of a premier SG but has been inconsistent with headiness in games.

Taylor is presumed to be a scorer, but he may be the surprise MU needs.

My vote: barring a Taylor take over during the off season, it's Junior and Todd.
SS Marquette

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2012, 04:25:04 AM »
Fingers crossed that TJ is what we need.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2012, 05:11:34 AM »
I'd guess Junior, Todd, and Van all start, with Otule and Jamil up front. This is probably the most obvious starting five since 2008-09.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2012, 05:26:39 AM »
Agreed, BC77.    Three guard starting line up, Jamil and CO starting up front.   Davante and CO getting roughly the same minutes.   I don't think JWilson gets as many minutes as Crowder did this year and I think we play more 'big' sets, with only two guards out there.    Lots of talent returning.    Just a matter of who emerges as the leader and who makes the biggest progression.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2012, 08:03:22 AM »

Unfortunately, that seems to include our own.   :-[

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2012, 08:18:27 AM »

We take offense to that remark.

Sincerely,
Acker and Cubillan
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

attackelite

• Walk-On
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2012, 08:35:34 AM »
Blue needs to move on to many issues both on and off court. Both he and MU need a fresh start.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2012, 08:47:35 AM »
Mayo starts over Blue next year, I don't have any doubts. I think Marquette will actually play a more traditional lineup and play Jamil at the 3 and possibly Steve at the 4. I think we have a good team. Look at the jump Jae took from this year to last year...Someone else will make that jump.

Blue will start.  If he is here and healthy, I can pretty much guaranty it.  Wilson, Junior and Blue are 99% sure starters IMO.  I would guess Mayo would start too unless TJ Taylor turns out to be really, really good.  Otule and Gardner will split time.

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2012, 09:52:30 AM »
at this point i think if tj is really good it hurts vanders time more than mayos.  i think right now todd rebounds and defends as well as vander, the offense is clear

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2012, 09:56:42 AM »
at this point i think if tj is really good it hurts vanders time more than mayos.  i think right now todd rebounds and defends as well as vander, the offense is clear

The only guy that rebounds as well as Blue is Jae. No one on next year's team is as good at assessing where the ball will come off or securing it quickly. Van has his deficiencies, but he is probably one of the best rebounding guards in the nation.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2012, 10:02:24 AM »
More importantly, I hope either Ferguson or Taylor can score as scoring will be a little harder next year.  Wilson has to step up and Steve Taylor has to add some points but
somebody is going to have to make plays at the 2 or 3.  Junior is junior, is scoring will not go up significantly.  So it is the 2 above.  Vander brings a lot to the table, but as you saw last night, he has issues scoring, his talents may not mesh with next years team.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2012, 10:09:03 AM »
Van has his deficiencies, but he is probably one of the best rebounding guards in the nation.

I agree with this.  Mayo is a very good rebounder for his size, but Blue is fantastic.  Mayo is Blue's equal as a defender, I think, and clearly a better offensive player (that 40 or so day slump notwithstanding).  I think they may both start next year, but if not, PT may depend on whether we need offense or rebounding more.  Next year I think we're going to need both so I have no idea what we'll do.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2012, 10:10:37 AM »
at this point i think if tj is really good it hurts vanders time more than mayos.  i think right now todd rebounds and defends as well as vander, the offense is clear

Mayo defends pretty damn good...but Vander is a much better rebounder.  But that doesn't mean that I don't disagree with what you are saying.  Mayo bit into Vander's time when offense was needed (like yesterday).  I think there will be times next year when offense will again be a priority and Blue is on the bench.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2012, 10:14:58 AM »
Blue needs to move on to many issues both on and off court. Both he and MU need a fresh start.

This Vander Blue talk is hilarious. Have any of  you been paying attention? The kid is going to be a big time contributor next year and beyond. Trust me, two years from now people will be lamenting his departure much as the are Crowder and DJO today.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2012, 10:15:13 AM »
The best point for next year is that MU will have a full complement of players, 14 to be exact.  Playing time will be found in practice and the 5 players that mesh and play together will see
PT time.  Who wants to work hard this summer, will have a chance to play next season.

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2012, 10:47:14 AM »
I'd guess Junior, Todd, and Van all start, with Otule and Jamil up front. This is probably the most obvious starting five since 2008-09.

Yup, was thinking the "Starting lineup for 2012-2013" thread basically would just write itself.  That gives us a bench crew of (in order of minutes, I'm guessing) Gardner, TJ Taylor, Steve Taylor, DWill, Jamail, and Juan. 

We'll be young, but we've got a decent amount of experience on the roster.  We'll also be very versatile again, too. 

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2012, 11:21:47 AM »
The problem with Junior and Vander in the backcourt is that teams will pack it in all night since neither can hit anything outside a layup with any consistency. Mayo is streaky but he looks a lot better going up from 17 feet than either JG or VB.

ibechillindoe

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2012, 11:32:14 AM »
I don't see how anyone says that Vander won't start next year.

Cadougan at point, with D. Wilson backing him up and some other minutes by Vander/T.J. Taylor.

Mayo/T.J Taylor at SG, edge to Mayo to start because he has been here, played our system and knows our defense. Jake may also get spot minutes.

Vander at SF, with Jamail/Juan getting minutes as well. Possibly Jamil, but I don't see it. Jamal might get spot minutes here, don't know enough about him.

Jamil at PF, with Steve Taylor/Juan subbing for him.

Otule starting C, with Davante equally splitting time.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2012, 11:36:43 AM »

He will without question be no worse than second in MPG next year ((Junior).

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2012, 11:55:08 AM »
Buzz must have saw something in Durley. Will he surprise us like Devante has?

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2012, 07:35:09 PM »

Cadougan at point, with D. Wilson backing him up and some other minutes by Vander/T.J. Taylor.

Mayo/T.J Taylor at SG, edge to Mayo to start because he has been here, played our system and knows our defense. Jake may also get spot minutes.

Vander at SF, with Jamail/Juan getting minutes as well. Possibly Jamil, but I don't see it. Jamal might get spot minutes here, don't know enough about him.

Jamil at PF, with Steve Taylor/Juan subbing for him.

Otule starting C, with Davante equally splitting time.

Very realistic looking rotation

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2012, 09:16:57 PM »
I'd say Vander & Junior are near-locks. All this vitriol spewed in their direction is misplaced.  Mayo will probably join them, but people here seem to forget how he went MIA in mid-season. Certainly came back though.

seakm4

• Team Captain
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2012, 11:30:08 AM »

No he's going JUCO

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2012, 11:38:46 AM »
No he's going JUCO

Are you sure about that?  It makes total sense, should bring him back in 2014 with open scholarships are available and potential playing time as he is going to sit the next two years at MU
with Devante and Otule back the next two years.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2012, 12:20:25 PM »
JC should see about 35 minutes next year. Jamil about the same.  My hope is that Todd gives us 30 along with VB and that TJ quickly earns those other 20. I'll be thrilled if Steve and/or Juan play well enough to get Jamil down to 31-32 during Beast play. Jamail could be in the mix too.  And I think CO/DG split the #5.

jtrash37

• Starter
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2012, 12:56:23 PM »
The Vander/Junior hate is ridiculous on this board.  Both have strengths and weaknesses, both carried us at times.  Did they do as much as Jae or DJO?  Nope, but they aren't seniors yet, and are going to keep growing as players.

Vander is by far the best rebounder for his size (maybe Jae), and an excellent defender.

Junior keeps the flow of our 1/2 court offense, and has great court vision.

Both will improve, and both will be key cogs next season.  We seem to forget that both (although Junior is a jr.) are sophomores for all intents and purposes.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2012, 01:04:09 PM »
The best point for next year is that MU will have a full complement of players, 14 to be exact.  Playing time will be found in practice and the 5 players that mesh and play together will see
PT time.  Who wants to work hard this summer, will have a chance to play next season.

Exactly.  Listening to this debate makes me pretty excited that we will have that range of players. Speculation or not about his whereabouts aside, if Durley is in fact a project at the 5, its nice that he's already bulky, used to his size, just needs to be given a chance to let loose.  With previous projects it was always "if they get bigger... if they get time... they need to learn how to use their size..."  Durley's been big since he was 12. The motor skills are more refined there because he's developed them with that size. 

Plus, walk on or not, it'd be it'd be interesting to see what Jake can do (outside of have ridiculous range).  He played at a high level before transferring into MQ/MU/MUBB/Marq.

Regardless.  Lots to use in the rotation, but our 5 is probably a Junior, vander, todd, j wilson, otule combo.  Summer ball can't get here soon enough.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2012, 01:09:15 PM »

Agreed, and I like that line-up's defensive abilities, rebounding, transition, ball handling (not great, but good).

The only thing I don't like is the shooting. They need to find a way to score in 1/2 court sets.

I hope TJ Taylor can shoot, and I hope Jake can defend a little bit, because I'm afraid the current starters aren't the most gifted shooters.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2012, 01:23:05 PM »
Vander and Cadougan: Highest bricks per capita in US.

I quietly have high hopes for TJ Taylor. I expect him to come in ready to play, but we should be cautious - many of us expected the same from Jamil Wilson this year. Didn't see it until the later stages of the season.

I believe that it'll be Cadoughan, Mayo and Blue to start off the year, but I wouldn't be surprised if Taylor replaced Blue as he gets acclimated.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 01:26:27 PM by Gardner's Postgame Snack »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2012, 01:36:50 PM »
I believe that it'll be Cadoughan, Mayo and Blue to start off the year, but I wouldn't be surprised if Taylor replaced Blue as he gets acclimated.

Taylor may get more minutes than Blue in games where his offense is needed, but I would be very surprised if Blue doesn't start pretty much all year. 

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2012, 01:47:21 PM »
Did you guys hear about Bander Vlue?  He was a top 50 recruit, he was a contributor as a FR to a sweet 16 team and then he started every game for a team that earned a 3 seed and went to another S16.
He's a lock down defender, a great rebounder, super athletic and could be a honorable mention all big east player if he improves his jumper.

Some fans of the team are hoping he'll transfer, think we have a shot at him?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2012, 05:22:32 PM »

Must be the same thing he saw in Cadougan. Is Buzz myoptic?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2012, 05:27:22 PM »
Vander and Cadougan: Highest bricks per capita in US.

I think people are highly underrating Cadougan's shot & offensive ability. He will average at least 10ppg and shoot decent from three next season.

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2012, 05:43:59 PM »
Really? This year there was really only 1 spot up for grabs, next year the 2/3 are up for grabs. PG, C, PF are probably locked up. However, so much can happen over the summer with those 2 spots as I don't think anyone is head and shoulders above the rest. It will just depend on who makes the biggest strides over the summer. Todd and Vander have the lead at this point, but I think its close enough that any of combination of: Todd, Vander, Jamail, Juan, STaylor, and TJTaylor could get the nod. Not sure JFerg or JThomas will be far enough along, but we were all mostly surprised by Mayo's contributions this year. I think Vander is close to locking up a spot, but without DJO/Jae, a greater emphasis on being able to score might make him less valuable as a starter.

Boone

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2012, 06:05:58 PM »
For his career, Junior shoots under 40% from the field and about 20% on 3s. Hope I'm wrong, but I think he's reached his ceiling. Don't see him being capable of averaging 10 ppg and shooting decently from 3 next season.

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2012, 06:18:07 PM »
lineup next year will be

1) Junior, DWilson, Blue + TJ Taylor should also get some minutes
2) Mayo, TJ Taylor, Thomas, Ferguson
3) Blue, Jones, Anderson, TJ Taylor also could play some 3, Ferguson
4) JWilson, S Taylor, Anderson
5) Otule, Gardner, Durley (assuming he's here)

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2012, 07:07:08 PM »
Any of you cats stockbrokers?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2012, 08:02:18 PM »
For his career, Junior shoots under 40% from the field and about 20% on 3s. Hope I'm wrong, but I think he's reached his ceiling. Don't see him being capable of averaging 10 ppg and shooting decently from 3 next season.
Junior will cintinue to improve and so will Blue. However, it would be a mistake to start them both in the back court as they are not outside threats. Blue is the better ballhandler, but Cadougan is a much better passer. We need to get away from three guard lineup. I think some of you are expecting to much from TJ Taylor. Butler averaged 5.8 points as a sophomore and I would expect Taylor to be in that range.

feedback