[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 09:15:16 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU is biggest spender in BIG EAST  (Read 16340 times)

mu-rara

• All American
Re: MU is biggest spender in BIG EAST
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2010, 12:52:42 PM »
don't be so sure about that. Buzz has been quoted before that one thing he spends money on are nice suits, etc.  I remember him talking about this last year at the Annex one Tuesday night with Homer on the radio.

I think MU coaches have all had a promo deal with a Mens store.  Al and Hank used Snyder's in Oconomowoc

I think Crean and Deane??  used Mark Paasch. 

Here's an opportunity for Buzz to cash in....

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2010, 12:55:17 PM »
Karate lessons, hyperbaric chambers, and midnight limo rides are expensive.

Yep,quite expensive.  All of about 0.08% of the budget.

Hyperbaric Chamber costs:  $41,700
http://www.boston.com/sports/articles/2007/10/19/up_and_coming_method/
This should last for at least five years--probably 10.  Let's split the difference can call it 7 a year lifecycle
That's $5957/year.

I think the limo was used to meet Shumpert at midnight the day coaches were allowed on the road to recruit.  A found a quote for a round trip limo from Ohare to Oak Park with a stretch limo is $85 each way--lets go ahead and round up to $200 total.

Karate Lessons:  High end estimate is $100/person per month (low end was $40/month)--you wouldn't have needed more than that for the pretty basic skill used at the midnight madness event.  Karate uniforms can be had for $25 bucks.  Of course, it may have been an MU alum or booster who provided the lessons and uniforms at no charge as a donation in-kind to the Blue & Gold.  Lets assume $1500 total--lessons + uniforms.

4 wheel drive rental--I couldn't find any costs--but my guess is that an MU booster loaned this at no charge.  But lets say it cost $500 to rent it for the night.

Total is $8,157.  Out of a $10,306,548 budget, that makes for a total of 0.0791%.

I know you guys who hate Crean will turn every molehill into a mountain, but this is pretty lame even for you.  

The biggest line item here is the chamber, which seems to have a pretty substantial benefit--to the point where Wes Matthews was willing to consider buying his own--and based on the $33,000,000 cost of the the Al, was an almost insignificant expense.  

Finally, Wes is having a good deal of success playing at Utah--elevation 4327.  Anyone want to argue that his training in high-altitude conditions provided no advantage in making the transition to the NBA?

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2010, 01:06:33 PM »
I'm glad the number is that high and I hope it continues to rise. The accounting differences may skew the numbers higher or lower for some schools, but there's an obvious correlation between dollars spent and program success. Cut that list in half. The top half are perennial tournament teams, while the bottom half (with the exception of ND) are perennial also-rans. It's cause for concern if MU ever starts sliding down this list.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2010, 01:17:03 PM »
We all know you're really Joni, so give it up.

Really?

What am I up to?

MU's spending will go down under Buzz Williams' because he doesn't have the expensive and/or extravagant taste of his predecessor.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2010, 05:16:07 PM »
Finally, Wes is having a good deal of success playing at Utah--elevation 4327.  Anyone want to argue that his training in high-altitude conditions provided no advantage in making the transition to the NBA?

Yes, I will argue it.

Wes didn't gain any advantaged, and never trained in "high altitude" conditions on Marquette's campus.  Read this thread for more info.  A little science can go a long way, unfortunately Crean didn't understand science.

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=13843.0

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2010, 05:26:21 PM »
Yes, I will argue it.

Wes didn't gain any advantaged, and never trained in "high altitude" conditions on Marquette's campus.  Read this thread for more info.  A little science can go a long way, unfortunately Crean didn't understand science.

To be fair, apparently many other sports and teams don't either, then.

The way I understand it, the hyperbaric chamber is used to help recover from injuries for athletes, among other things.

The Vancouver Canucks use it.  Mario Lemiuex, Dirk Nowitzki, Terrel Owens, JD Drew, Jimmy Rollins, Brian Westbrook, European soccer teams, etc, etc

Whether this stuff works, I have no idea, but there seems to be a cottage industry that suggests it does

http://www.hypo2.net/html/athletes.html

http://www.hyperbaric-oxygen-ca.com/Athletes.htm

http://www.redorbit.com/news/health/1342615/more_pro_athletes_using_hyperbaric_chambers/

http://ezinearticles.com/?Athletes-Use-Portable-Hyperbaric-Oxygen-Chambers-For-Fast-Fitness-Results&id=2717953

« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 05:28:21 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2010, 05:30:13 PM »
Yes, I will argue it.

Wes didn't gain any advantaged, and never trained in "high altitude" conditions on Marquette's campus.  Read this thread for more info.  A little science can go a long way, unfortunately Crean didn't understand science.

http://www.customizedworkoutplans.com/fitness/training-at-high-altitude-vs-hyperbaric-chambers/

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2010, 05:43:44 PM »
1) I think they're some confusion.  MU's chamber was described as a "high altitude" chamber, which would lower pressure, and oxygen levels.  If it was really a Hyperbaric, that's much different, and useful for recovery, and pumping you blood full of oxygen for a short period of time.

2)  Understanding that:
   a) If was simulating a high altitude, you'd have to spend 24/7 in it to gain any advantage.  An hour or so a week would do nothing.
   b) If it was Hyperbaric, then you'd be best served to spend the time immediately before a game in there.  After a couple hours all the extra oxygen in your blood would be depleted.

3) Training at altitude is the *best* solution, because your body slowly adapts to be starved of oxygen, thus it can use it more efficiently once you're in a low altitude.

Conclusion, Marquette's chamber may not have been a total waste of money, but it also didn't provide any significant benefit to the team.  It did probably pay for itself in the free PR that it generated.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2010, 06:49:41 PM »
I never had a problem with Crean's purchase of the HA Chamber .. clearly, there are people who believe in the technology.  If we can buy a $50k machine that gives our guys 1 gallon more gas in the tank over 40 minutes, I say, sign us up, our bench is short.

The whirlpool in the Al for athletes probably cost $100k, but no one complains about that.

Glocced and Loaded

• Walk-On
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2010, 11:20:56 PM »
Can you tan in the Hyperbaric Chamber being that it simulates higher altitude and thus being closer to the sun? 

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2010, 09:30:27 AM »
I sat in a lecture at MU and was told by one of the leading vascular surgeons in the area that hyperbaric chambers did zilch for athletes.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2010, 09:44:40 AM »

This should last for at least five years--probably 10.  Let's split the difference can call it 7 a year lifecycle
That's $5957/year.

I think the limo was used to meet Shumpert at midnight the day coaches were allowed on the road to recruit.  A found a quote for a round trip limo from Ohare to Oak Park with a stretch limo is $85 each way--lets go ahead and round up to $200 total.

Karate Lessons:  High end estimate is $100/person per month (low end was $40/month)--you wouldn't have needed more than that for the pretty basic skill used at the midnight madness event.  Karate uniforms can be had for $25 bucks.  Of course, it may have been an MU alum or booster who provided the lessons and uniforms at no charge as a donation in-kind to the Blue & Gold.  Lets assume $1500 total--lessons + uniforms.

4 wheel drive rental--I couldn't find any costs--but my guess is that an MU booster loaned this at no charge.  But lets say it cost $500 to rent it for the night.

Total is $8,157.  Out of a $10,306,548 budget, that makes for a total of 0.0791%.

I know you guys who hate Crean will turn every molehill into a mountain, but this is pretty lame even for you.  

The biggest line item here is the chamber, which seems to have a pretty substantial benefit--to the point where Wes Matthews was willing to consider buying his own--and based on the $33,000,000 cost of the the Al, was an almost insignificant expense.  

Don't mean to speak for 4ever but I think he's speaking to the silliness (hyperbaric chamber, karate lessons) and the tawdriness (midnight limo surprises) of the former administration. It was essentially a joke you evidently didn't get since you spent nine paragraphs with your cost analysis. Why so serious?

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2010, 09:52:36 AM »

That's $5957/year.

Sorry Marq84 what is truly lame is the fact that you would look up these costs and provide actual quaotes as evidence to your long winded diatribe.  I am sure the days must be long and lonely in the state mental home, but you could probably spend your time more wisely.  Mybe talk to nurse ratchett and try to plan a field trip for you and your inmates.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2010, 12:18:22 PM »
To me the most ridiculous thing about the chamber was that Crean was throwing out the cost to reporters. It's indicative of the kind of low-class individual he is...who talks about costs like that? Does he also talk about how much is house cost? Or his car? Or his wife's boob job? He must have a ton of friends...and not just the ones he buddies up to through "fan" letters.

God, I'm glad he's gone. What a complete tool...and the biggest phony I've encountered in my entire life.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2010, 06:23:58 PM »
Don't mean to speak for 4ever but I think he's speaking to the silliness (hyperbaric chamber, karate lessons) and the tawdriness (midnight limo surprises) of the former administration. It was essentially a joke you evidently didn't get since you spent nine paragraphs with your cost analysis. Why so serious?

First, I don't think 4ever was joking--I think he was dead serious.  He dislikes Crean immensely.

I responded by highlighting the silliness of complaining about .008% of the budget spent by someone who's been gone nearly 2 years.

To me the most ridiculous thing about the chamber was that Crean was throwing out the cost to reporters. It's indicative of the kind of low-class individual he is...

So let me understand this . . .

Under Crean, MU bought a piece of equipment that was also used by the Green Bay Packers, the Detroit Pistons, the Miami Heat, the Phoenix Suns, numerous European soccer clubs, numerous individual all-Star athletes, etc. 

A device that has been raved about by its many professional users--both in sports medicine and athletes themselves. 

Our own players -including Wes Matthews, Jerel McNeal, and Dominic James--have voiced their approval.

The WORST anyone can say about it is that some (with all the authority that two semesters of anatomy/physiology provides) think it might not be as helpful as its users think.

The product was a nearly insignificant portion of just one year of MU's basketball basketball budget, and will provide multiple years of use.

It has provided MU with positive publicity in the national press that demonstrates the financial commitment MU continues to make its athletes and its athletic program.

And yet, you're still complaining about it three years later?

akmarq

• Starter
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2010, 08:15:35 PM »
Buzz also spends less on wardrobe, and doesn't: do karate lessons, ride 4 wheelers, own a hummer, buy/lease a hyperbolic chamber, etc.

In summary, I like Buzz, therefore the large budget is not his fault.

You're right...Buzz opted for the much more modest and discount automobile. He drives an Escalde. What a sacrifice.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2010, 10:21:08 PM »
To me the most ridiculous thing about the chamber was that Crean was throwing out the cost to reporters. It's indicative of the kind of low-class individual he is...who talks about costs like that? Does he also talk about how much is house cost? Or his car? Or his wife's boob job? He must have a ton of friends...and not just the ones he buddies up to through "fan" letters.

God, I'm glad he's gone. What a complete tool...and the biggest phony I've encountered in my entire life.

Joanie had a boob job? She should ask for double her money back.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2010, 12:57:05 AM »
Spoke to an accountant at Michigan once and she said they do and all state schools do a lot to get expenses off the athletic P&L.  Makes sense... taxpayers want to know the athletic programs are making huge money for the school while they are willing to have losses in academics.  Thus, you might be able to compare private schools but not private to public.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2010, 11:26:38 AM »
You're right...Buzz opted for the much more modest and discount automobile. He drives an Escalde. What a sacrifice.

I would think having Bergstrom, a car dealer, on the Board might have more to do with that than you think. He also had those Hummers donated for the bball staff to drive a few years ago.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2010, 11:32:02 AM »
I would think having Bergstrom, a car dealer, on the Board might have more to do with that than you think. He also had those Hummers donated for the bball staff to drive a few years ago.

It doesn't matter who donated them, I don't like TC, and therefore he is a douche for driving the free car that was given to him.

Buzz Williams is cool, so the Cadillac if fine with me.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2010, 11:48:14 AM »
Spoke to an accountant at Michigan once and she said they do and all state schools do a lot to get expenses off the athletic P&L.  Makes sense... taxpayers want to know the athletic programs are making huge money for the school while they are willing to have losses in academics.  Thus, you might be able to compare private schools but not private to public.

Ding ding ding  We have a winner

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2010, 09:28:16 PM »
It doesn't matter who donated them, I don't like TC, and therefore he is a douche for driving the free car that was given to him.

Buzz Williams is cool, so the Cadillac if fine with me.

If you're considering a new career in stand up I wouldn't quit my day job just yet.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2010, 09:36:23 PM »
If you're considering a new career in stand up I wouldn't quit my day job just yet.

Are you just looking for an argument?

If you are, just PM me so we can save everybody's time. We don't need to become Chico's vs Hayward.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2010, 08:34:34 AM »
Are you just looking for an argument?

If you are, just PM me so we can save everybody's time. We don't need to become Chico's vs Hayward.

Not looking for an argument at all. Just noting that you used to make your points in a pretty straightforward manner and now you seem to be going the comedy/sarcasm route (see this thread and the one where you suggest Hayward go to Ames, IA and stab Christopherson in the face. Some people have a knack for comedy and some don't. Evidently I don't either since my post about you not giving up your day job was meant as a joke and you felt I was being confrontational.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2010, 08:58:38 AM »
Not looking for an argument at all. Just noting that you used to make your points in a pretty straightforward manner and now you seem to be going the comedy/sarcasm route (see this thread and the one where you suggest Hayward go to Ames, IA and stab Christopherson in the face. Some people have a knack for comedy and some don't. Evidently I don't either since my post about you not giving up your day job was meant as a joke and you felt I was being confrontational.

Lenny - I'm going to suggest that a person who doesn't understand the response "don't quit your day job," is lacking a lot more than a knack for comedy.

feedback