collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Vaccine/Antibody updates  (Read 384454 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: Vaccine/Antibody updates
« Reply #1400 on: February 14, 2021, 01:00:07 PM »
This is great news and with the supply increases on the horizon, should really open up the floodgates.   Maybe I should temper my enthusiasm, but I actually believe I may get a chance at vaccine in April.

When we first saw the haphazard rollout and learned about the illusory 'stockpile,' I was expecting mine in June or July. Now that the DPA has been invoked and we are seeing more federal-state coordination, I am hoping my vax date might move up a couple of months. I would be happy with May, and elated with anything earlier.

I have also been checking websites of the local public health department and other providers, to see if they start a signup for 'on call' backups in case people with appointments don't show up. Nothing here yet, but as they get past the frontline workers and very elderly, that might change. And I would drop most anything if I got a call saying I could get a shot that would otherwise be discarded.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1401 on: February 14, 2021, 01:05:20 PM »

When we first saw the haphazard rollout and learned about the illusory 'stockpile,' I was expecting mine in June or July. Now that the DPA has been invoked and we are seeing more federal-state coordination, I am hoping my vax date might move up a couple of months. I would be happy with May, and elated with anything earlier.

I have also been checking websites of the local public health department and other providers, to see if they start a signup for 'on call' backups in case people with appointments don't show up. Nothing here yet, but as they get past the frontline workers and very elderly, that might change. And I would drop most anything if I got a call saying I could get a shot that would otherwise be discarded.

I'm with yooooooo, Gooooooo.

I'm waiting hopefully for the day that NC or our county or whomever is in charge starts doing this. I'd be happy to be on an on-call list, and would hot-foot it to the vaccination site if called.

My only concern would be the second shot. Would I be guaranteed that I'd get it within 3-4 weeks as is mandated if I got my first one as an on-call recipient?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #1402 on: February 14, 2021, 01:10:14 PM »
My only concern would be the second shot. Would I be guaranteed that I'd get it within 3-4 weeks as is mandated if I got my first one as an on-call recipient?

Oh course, this is all up to the provider/state.  But most providers that give a 1st shot will put you on a list to schedule for a second shot.  You *shouldn't* have to chase down the 2nd shot yourself - you'd likely receive a call about when it can be/has been scheduled for you.   If they're really organized, they might even schedule the 2nd when you get the first.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1403 on: February 14, 2021, 01:57:45 PM »
I'm with yooooooo, Gooooooo.

I'm waiting hopefully for the day that NC or our county or whomever is in charge starts doing this. I'd be happy to be on an on-call list, and would hot-foot it to the vaccination site if called.

Most vaccine clinics I've heard about plan to have the same number of doses available for the second shots in 3/4 weeks. Here, we had recent 'first dose' clinics for people over 65, teachers and childcare providers. The following excerpt from the county health department's website describes the 'follow up' clinic:

State of Minnesota COVID-19 Vaccine Pilot Program: The state held two COVID-19 Vaccine Pilot Program (VPP) clinics in Rochester in January for educators, childcare providers and individuals over the age of 65. Second doses will be administered in Rochester on February 11, 12 and 13 and February 18, 19 and 20. Only those who received the first dose at one of the January clinics are eligible to attend the clinic.

My guess: If there is a 'no-show' program, once you 'filled in' for the no-show, you would be given his/her place in line to receive the second dose...perhaps with the first-dose vaccine card as your admission ticket.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #1404 on: February 14, 2021, 02:54:38 PM »
Same, I was looking at end of May based on where I was on the waiting list originally, but I've already moved up to mid-April and expect that to improve further with the way things are moving.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1405 on: February 14, 2021, 03:18:02 PM »
I’ve seen some tweets talking about a demand shortage sometime in April. Since there are a lot of skeptical people, those of us that want it maybe getting it sooner than expected. Selfishly, that gets my hopes up to get the vaccine sooner, but that’s probably not the best for us as a cou try.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1406 on: February 14, 2021, 04:02:03 PM »
I’ve seen some tweets talking about a demand shortage sometime in April. Since there are a lot of skeptical people, those of us that want it maybe getting it sooner than expected. Selfishly, that gets my hopes up to get the vaccine sooner, but that’s probably not the best for us as a cou try.

Yep. I would love to get my vaccine sooner, but eventually we need to get the doubters on board as well. Hopefully there will be no reports of widespread side effects and people will gradually join in.

lostpassword

• Starter
« Reply #1407 on: February 14, 2021, 06:55:38 PM »

...eventually we need to get the doubters on board as well...

I haven't heard much relative to the "HOW" for that issue.  I'd personally hope that some form of incentive can address part of the issue (like what Kroger is doing: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/kroger-covid-vaccine-workers-100-dollars/) but suspect there may need to be some level of penalty.  Can health insurance providers bump up rates not dissimilar to discounts for non-smokers?  Any plans already being made for when supply overtakes demand?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1408 on: February 14, 2021, 07:10:08 PM »
I haven't heard much relative to the "HOW" for that issue.  I'd personally hope that some form of incentive can address part of the issue (like what Kroger is doing: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/kroger-covid-vaccine-workers-100-dollars/) but suspect there may need to be some level of penalty.  Can health insurance providers bump up rates not dissimilar to discounts for non-smokers?  Any plans already being made for when supply overtakes demand?

Yeah, maybe incentives, or maybe requiring proof of vaccination to get into places like sporting events and festivals. And eventually when we get vaccines approved for kids, proof of vaccination to go to school.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1409 on: February 14, 2021, 07:41:26 PM »

Yeah, maybe incentives, or maybe requiring proof of vaccination to get into places like sporting events and festivals. And eventually when we get vaccines approved for kids, proof of vaccination to go to school.

Yeah but in some states you can opt out of the vaccinations for your kids for religious or personal reasons so I'm not sure how effective that would be for schools.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1410 on: February 14, 2021, 08:11:43 PM »
Oh course, this is all up to the provider/state.  But most providers that give a 1st shot will put you on a list to schedule for a second shot.  You *shouldn't* have to chase down the 2nd shot yourself - you'd likely receive a call about when it can be/has been scheduled for you.   If they're really organized, they might even schedule the 2nd when you get the first.

This has been the case with everyone I know who has gotten the first shot - in three different states/health systems.  They walked out after their first shot with an appointment  for their second shot.
Have some patience, FFS.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1411 on: February 14, 2021, 08:40:29 PM »
Yeah but in some states you can opt out of the vaccinations for your kids for religious or personal reasons so I'm not sure how effective that would be for schools.

True, but statistics show that almost 99% of children get vaccinated for most common illnesses, despite the ability to object. If we can get anywhere near that number for Covid, we will be fine.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1412 on: February 14, 2021, 09:15:56 PM »

True, but statistics show that almost 99% of children get vaccinated for most common illnesses, despite the ability to object. If we can get anywhere near that number for Covid, we will be fine.

I got notice of a Chicken Pox case in my 8th grader's school recently - that was a first for me since she's been in school.  I wasn't too concerned about it but it brought to mind that people can opt out of the vaccines.  And heck in our District there are still parents sending kids to school who they know are Covid positive (very frustrating) - can see a number of parents opting out for the vaccine for their kids.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1413 on: February 14, 2021, 09:36:15 PM »

Certainly your employer can require you to get the vaccination in order to remain in their employment.  Anti-vaxxers are not a protected class.

And I would not be surprised if major gatherings (such as concerts and sports events) required proof of vaccination to get it.
Have some patience, FFS.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #1414 on: February 15, 2021, 05:57:56 AM »
Half dose for Moderna looks to be effective as current full dose. 

https://twitter.com/erictopol/status/1361093865554411521?s=21

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1415 on: February 15, 2021, 09:39:12 AM »
This has been the case with everyone I know who has gotten the first shot - in three different states/health systems.  They walked out after their first shot with an appointment  for their second shot.

I got an email to sign up for my 2nd dose 18 days after my initial dose. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1416 on: February 16, 2021, 03:49:41 PM »
Leaving my 90 day window.   First vaccine tomorrow.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

larrym

• Starter
« Reply #1417 on: February 16, 2021, 04:06:01 PM »
Got my second Pfizer dose today at Alliant Energy Center in Madison.  Three weeks ago I waited for about an hour before driving into the building where they give the shot.  Today I drove right in with no wait.  The woman that gave me the shot said it was definitely related to the number of doses available this week.  Hopefully that turns around quickly.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1418 on: February 16, 2021, 07:52:15 PM »
Got my second Pfizer dose today at Alliant Energy Center in Madison.  Three weeks ago I waited for about an hour before driving into the building where they give the shot.  Today I drove right in with no wait.  The woman that gave me the shot said it was definitely related to the number of doses available this week.  Hopefully that turns around quickly.

3 weeks ago there was a delay in deliver of vaccines.  They had to pull from the hospitals for doses.  I know this because I got an email and I got my first dose that day.  Waited about an hour at noon.

Today I was in an out in about 45 minutes.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1419 on: February 16, 2021, 09:29:04 PM »
The weather is causing shipping delays from both UPS (Louisville) and FedEx (Memphis).

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #1420 on: February 16, 2021, 10:16:17 PM »
Certainly your employer can require you to get the vaccination in order to remain in their employment.  Anti-vaxxers are not a protected class.

And I would not be surprised if major gatherings (such as concerts and sports events) required proof of vaccination to get it.

this is a real slippery slope chick.  so where do we draw the line?  what if someone has a nasty cough?  what if they look a little pale?  and i mean for anyone trying to enter an event, a flight.

then there's the school issue- i recall many times, hearing from a parent..."there must be a little something going around"  there were "x" number of kids missing from school today.  what is the next "illness" du jour?  i am not by any means trying to downplay covid, but honestly, science is not being followed anymore. how bout we blow the doors off sleepy's goals for the first 100 days and get 100% of the schools open for 2 days a week ?-(...cue in alice cooper
don't...don't don't don't don't

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1421 on: February 16, 2021, 10:22:44 PM »

this is a real slippery slope chick.  so where do we draw the line?  what if someone has a nasty cough?  what if they look a little pale?  and i mean for anyone trying to enter an event, a flight.

That’s the whole point of requiring proof of vaccination; if someone can show they were vaccinated, it’s reasonable to assume the nasty cough is something other than Covid. Simple.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #1422 on: February 16, 2021, 10:36:20 PM »

That’s the whole point of requiring proof of vaccination; if someone can show they were vaccinated, it’s reasonable to assume the nasty cough is something other than Covid. Simple.

yes, BUT employers providing an "incentive' is the big question.  the ADA is asking the EEOC for a quick clarification.  also, proof of vaccination is also somewhat Orwellian. as i said, this could get slippery.  don't remember people having to prove if they were HIV positive/negative back in the day.  because it didn't happen.  why not?  as a healthcare provider, our lives were at risk.  we were a blood spatter away from getting very very ill.  we have run into this issue with fluoride for chriminey's sake.  personally, i could care less if someone wants fluoride or not.  i think it decreases decay, but wtf do i know.  that doesn't mean i'm going to be putting it into everyone's drinking water-gasp

https://www.ada.org/en/publications/ada-news/2021-archive/february/coalition-asks-equal-employment-opportunity-commission-to-issue-guidance-on-covid-19-vaccination
don't...don't don't don't don't

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #1423 on: February 16, 2021, 10:39:51 PM »
yes, BUT employers providing an "incentive' is the big question.  the ADA is asking the EEOC for a quick clarification.  also, proof of vaccination is also somewhat Orwellian. as i said, this could get slippery.  don't remember people having to prove if they were HIV positive/negative back in the day.  because it didn't happen.  why not?  as a healthcare provider, our lives were at risk.  we were a blood spatter away from getting very very ill.  we have run into this issue with fluoride for chriminey's sake.  personally, i could care less if someone wants fluoride or not.  i think it decreases decay, but wtf do i know.  that doesn't mean i'm going to be putting it into everyone's drinking water-gasp

https://www.ada.org/en/publications/ada-news/2021-archive/february/coalition-asks-equal-employment-opportunity-commission-to-issue-guidance-on-covid-19-vaccination

Employers could *strongly suggest* their employees rethink skipping out on the vaccine. Kinda like employers *stronly suggest* their female employees not buzz their hair.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1424 on: February 16, 2021, 10:40:10 PM »

The post of chick’s that you replied to didn’t talk about employer incentives. It talked about employers requiring vaccination as a condition of employment. Those are two totally different things, and the latter happens all the time.

feedback