collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Vaccine/Antibody updates  (Read 384484 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: Vaccine/Antibody updates
« Reply #1350 on: February 01, 2021, 08:44:35 PM »
  yes and if we could "circle back" on any number of topics here, i wish the same attitude would have been taken

Care to list a few of those topics?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1351 on: February 01, 2021, 09:00:52 PM »
The state where she resides allowed her to get the shot. As long as she was truthful with her replies, thats the only thing she has to worry about.

That’s the part that makes the difference, IMO. If she answered the questions honestly and the state allowed her to get a vaccine, then any issue is with the state and not her.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #1352 on: February 02, 2021, 11:01:56 AM »
It could be in the wording, but New York guidelines refer to preschool through high school educators, in-person college, and child care instructors/ providers though I haven’t looked at their questionnaire. And the Mayor’s  office says she didn’t fit. Which leads me to believe that she stretched the definition of educator.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1353 on: February 02, 2021, 06:04:51 PM »
  so nice to see lunch pail joe getting the vaccine to the gitmo "miscreants" before most of our level 1, 2 and even 3 CITIZENS get it are we out of our collective minds? get the damn thing to our teachers so we can justify their paychecks at least and get our kids back in school.  gitmo should be the least of our worries

https://thehill.com/policy/defense/536431-guantanamo-bay-prisoners-to-be-offered-coronavirus-vaccines

Spare me your outrage, just pop some HCQ.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1354 on: February 02, 2021, 06:54:20 PM »
Checking in with everyone's favorite in over his head, Barney Fife Sheriff, Missouri Governor, Mike Anti-Masker Parson...

After fumbling all things Pandemic, (and anything and everything else,)

Surely the Vaccine rollout has to be going well, right?

Wait, what's that Missouri has been in a fierce battle with Alabama for 50 out of 50 ranking for state Vaccines. Several hundred thousand in the state's largest country registered and waiting while 5k had been vaccinated as of this past week.

I wonder if there is anything else. Oh wait, there is. Interesting vaccination site strategy here:

https://twitter.com/tonymess/status/1356747511789219840?s=19

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1355 on: February 03, 2021, 07:54:59 AM »
‘Tale of two cities.’ Racial disparity found in who gets vaccines in Charlotte

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/coronavirus/article248956709.html?ac_cid=DM378104&ac_bid=-657420267

More than two-thirds of the people vaccinated by Mecklenburg County Public Health are white, according to data released Tuesday that provided a race and ethnicity breakdown for the first time at the local level.

Only 16% of people given first doses of the COVID-19 vaccines by the health department have been Black. That’s a big disparity compared to the county’s demographics, which show nearly 32% of people in Mecklenburg are Black, according to U.S. Census Bureau estimates.

By contrast, 69% of people given first doses by the county are white, and white people comprise 54% of the county population.

And people living in the “wedge” of Charlotte — a collection of affluent neighborhoods in south Charlotte — are receiving vaccines at a higher rate than many other Charlotteans, a ZIP code map released by county Public Health Director Gibbie Harris Tuesday shows.

“We do see some under-representation in our people of color,” Harris told county commissioners during their board meeting Tuesday night. “It is not what we would want it to be. We know we need to continue our work in these areas.”

People in the “crescent” of Charlotte — a band of high-poverty neighborhoods in the west, north and east of Charlotte —are receiving vaccines at lower rates than those in the wedge.

“You literally have a tale of two cities,” the Rev. Willie Keaton, chairman of social justice advocacy group Restorative Justice CLT, told the Observer. “You have a deeply segregated city, of rich and poor. You have the wedge and the crescent.”

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1356 on: February 03, 2021, 12:36:10 PM »
‘Tale of two cities.’ Racial disparity found in who gets vaccines in Charlotte

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/coronavirus/article248956709.html?ac_cid=DM378104&ac_bid=-657420267

More than two-thirds of the people vaccinated by Mecklenburg County Public Health are white, according to data released Tuesday that provided a race and ethnicity breakdown for the first time at the local level.

Only 16% of people given first doses of the COVID-19 vaccines by the health department have been Black. That’s a big disparity compared to the county’s demographics, which show nearly 32% of people in Mecklenburg are Black, according to U.S. Census Bureau estimates.

By contrast, 69% of people given first doses by the county are white, and white people comprise 54% of the county population.

And people living in the “wedge” of Charlotte — a collection of affluent neighborhoods in south Charlotte — are receiving vaccines at a higher rate than many other Charlotteans, a ZIP code map released by county Public Health Director Gibbie Harris Tuesday shows.

“We do see some under-representation in our people of color,” Harris told county commissioners during their board meeting Tuesday night. “It is not what we would want it to be. We know we need to continue our work in these areas.”

People in the “crescent” of Charlotte — a band of high-poverty neighborhoods in the west, north and east of Charlotte —are receiving vaccines at lower rates than those in the wedge.

“You literally have a tale of two cities,” the Rev. Willie Keaton, chairman of social justice advocacy group Restorative Justice CLT, told the Observer. “You have a deeply segregated city, of rich and poor. You have the wedge and the crescent.”

Allow me to break this down a bit.  I'm not trying to rationalize that inherent systemic racism in our society, but look at it like this.  I would wager a healthy amount of money that the vast majority of health care workers and folks in 1a are white.  This explains some of the disparity.  Additionally, BIPOC tend to be more hesitant about vaccines.  And they have every right to have these views considering the despicable past that our society has of experimenting on them.

I'm not sure that vaccines are being held back from BIPOC, but our country's past actions and current systemic racism probably have a lot more to do with it.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1357 on: February 03, 2021, 12:41:39 PM »
I'm not as sure as you are Hards about the demographics of 1A. There's a huge Indian and East Asian population of doctors, latinx populations are filling the nursing shortages, and support staff in healthcare tends to be BIPOC. I mean it may still be majority white but not as disproportionately so that it accounts for the lack of vaccine in BIPOC populations.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1358 on: February 03, 2021, 12:43:04 PM »
I'm not as sure as you are Hards about the demographics of 1A. There's a huge Indian and East Asian population of doctors, latinx populations are filling the nursing shortages, and support staff in healthcare tends to be BIPOC. I mean it may still be majority white but not as disproportionately so that it accounts for the lack of vaccine in BIPOC populations.

I don't disagree with you, but this article specifically mentioned Black.  I should have been more clear.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #1359 on: February 03, 2021, 01:19:50 PM »
Milwaukee site opened early, scored for my 65+ parents vaccine appointments for one today, and one tomorrow.

https://city.milwaukee.gov/CoronavirusResources/Covid19-Vaccination

***Do need to be an City of MKE resident or City of MKE employee
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 02:20:29 PM by reinko »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1360 on: February 03, 2021, 03:21:57 PM »
Good conversation, Hards and Galway. Appreciate your perspective.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1361 on: February 03, 2021, 03:25:48 PM »
I mean, it's not surprising that ethnic minorities and/or the poor are falling behind in vaccinations.  It's a population that has relatively poor access to health care overall.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1362 on: February 03, 2021, 03:59:19 PM »
I mean, it's not surprising that ethnic minorities and/or the poor are falling behind in vaccinations.  It's a population that has relatively poor access to health care overall.

That, plus many still harbor a distrust of a system that has abused them in the past (see, Tuskegee Syphilis Study, Henrietta Lacks).
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 04:01:11 PM by GooooMarquette »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1363 on: February 05, 2021, 02:01:52 PM »
NFL offers the use of all NFL stadiums for Covid mass-vaccination efforts.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/05/nfl-offers-biden-football-stadiums-for-covid-vaccination-sites-.html

Great gesture. Hopefully we can speed up the supply lines so we need huge vaccination sites....

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1364 on: February 05, 2021, 08:46:40 PM »

Part of it could be lack of access to computers. Can only speak for Florida, but most of the appointments available here are made via computer.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1365 on: February 05, 2021, 09:19:21 PM »
NFL offers the use of all NFL stadiums for Covid mass-vaccination efforts.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/05/nfl-offers-biden-football-stadiums-for-covid-vaccination-sites-.html

Great gesture. Hopefully we can speed up the supply lines so we need huge vaccination sites....

Read today that with the defense production act measures Biden is putting in place, they think they can get over 400M doses of Pfizer and Moderna vaccines by early summer. Possibly enough to vaccinate every American by the end of summer. Obviously, there could be/will be some hiccups but that's a heck of an improvement from thinking vaccination would take into 2022.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 11:06:14 PM by forgetful »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1366 on: February 05, 2021, 10:01:59 PM »

Read today that with the defense production act measures Biden is putting in place, they think they can get over 400M doses of Pfizer and Moderna vaccines by early summer. Possibly enough to vaccinate every American by the end of summer. Obviously, their could be/will be some hiccups but that's a heck of an improvement from thinking vaccination would take into 2022.

That would be absolutely remarkable.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #1367 on: February 07, 2021, 01:56:27 PM »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1368 on: February 07, 2021, 04:26:09 PM »
South Africa halts use of Astra Zeneca vaccine because it does not prevent illness caused by the SA variant. Another reason to step on the gas and get everybody vaccinated as quickly as possible, before too many more resistant variance arise.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/02/07/world/covid-19-coronavirus#south-africa-astrazeneca-vaccine

South Africa halted use of the AstraZeneca-Oxford coronavirus vaccine on Sunday after evidence emerged that the vaccine did not protect clinical-trial participants from mild or moderate illness caused by the more contagious virus variant that was first seen there.

The findings were a devastating blow to the country’s efforts to combat the pandemic.

Scientists in South Africa said on Sunday that a similar problem held among people who had been infected by earlier versions of the coronavirus: the immunity they acquired naturally did not appear to protect them from mild or moderate cases when reinfected by the variant, known as B.1.351.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #1369 on: February 07, 2021, 04:30:26 PM »
That truly is craptity news. We really need to crank up production of the mRNA vaccines.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #1370 on: February 07, 2021, 05:00:47 PM »
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-55975052

As the average age in the trial was 32, they cannot make any conclusions as to whether it protects against severe cases.
It apparently does help against the UK variant, but this is clearly a big setback.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1371 on: February 07, 2021, 06:02:26 PM »
That truly is craptity news. We really need to crank up production of the mRNA vaccines.

Yep. Invoke the DPA, find every facility qualified to make the vaccines, and run them 24/7.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1372 on: February 07, 2021, 06:19:10 PM »
That is the plan.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #1373 on: February 07, 2021, 08:44:22 PM »
That is the plan.

Imagine if that was the plan months ago.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1374 on: February 07, 2021, 09:07:27 PM »
Imagine if that was the plan months ago.

What? The “waiting for a miracle” plan already was in place. So was the “declare victory” plan.

How could anybody have known those wouldn’t work?