collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Vaccine/Antibody updates  (Read 384432 times)

reinko

• All American
Re: Vaccine/Antibody updates
« Reply #1325 on: January 31, 2021, 05:47:19 PM »
  sleepy better get his chit together cuz the clock is ticking and people are dying.  he promised 100 million vaccinations in 100 days starting on day one.  and no fuzzy math like that of the emmy award winning cuomo guy

https://rfangle.com/politics/biden-administration-loses-20-million-vaccine/

Dude complains about propaganda, then posts an article from the RFAngle.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #1326 on: January 31, 2021, 06:00:03 PM »
Is that better or worse than the russian state media source from that other guy. 

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #1327 on: January 31, 2021, 06:11:32 PM »
Is that better or worse than the russian state media source from that other guy.

That's a legit question, had to look it up.  Sounds like worse source than Russian state media:
https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/the-rfangle/

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/rt-news/amp/

Anyhow, back to vaccines.  49M distributed, and 31M administered as of today.  Sounds like it's going fine.  Though admittedly, that count may need to be 200M distributed to get to 100M vaccinated.  I'm not sure how they're counting.
https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#vaccinations

Good news, early this week there will be more people vaccinated than total (counted) covid positive people. 
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 06:14:27 PM by rocky_warrior »

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #1328 on: January 31, 2021, 06:35:58 PM »
Can anyone translate this?

"now that they've got tiananmen square all protected" --> what is tiananmen square in this sentence?

"they are poking the sleeping dog buddy." --> Who is "they" and who is "the sleeping dog"? And in what way has the dog been poked?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 07:10:55 PM by TSmith34 »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1329 on: January 31, 2021, 06:58:44 PM »
Dude complains about propaganda, then posts an article from the RFAngle.

This had me literally laughing out loud.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #1330 on: January 31, 2021, 07:12:51 PM »
Can anyone translate this?

"now that they've got tiananmen square all protected" --> what is tiananmen square in this sentence?

"they are poking the sleeping dog buddy." --> Who is "they" and who is "the sleeping dog"? And in what way has the dog been poked?

Using context clues I think the sleeping dog is named Buddy.

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #1331 on: January 31, 2021, 07:14:59 PM »
That's a legit question, had to look it up.  Sounds like worse source than Russian state media:
https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/the-rfangle/

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/rt-news/amp/

Anyhow, back to vaccines.  49M distributed, and 31M administered as of today.  Sounds like it's going fine.  Though admittedly, that count may need to be 200M distributed to get to 100M vaccinated.  I'm not sure how they're counting.
https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#vaccinations

Good news, early this week there will be more people vaccinated than total (counted) covid positive people.

and if J&J gets approval soon many more doses will be ready in the very near future.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1332 on: January 31, 2021, 07:47:14 PM »
and if J&J gets approval soon many more doses will be ready in the very near future.

I’m not sure how you define ‘many more’ doses or the ‘very near future’ but an article I read the other day says they expect to have 30 million available by late April. That’s three months away.

A nice thing to have, but that won’t even fill the need in remote areas that don’t have refrigeration for the mRNA vaccines.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1333 on: February 01, 2021, 07:49:29 AM »
Interesting op-ed in the NYT by Kareem Abdul-Jabbar on how vaccinating professional athletes would be good role-modeling for Black people, many of whom are skeptical about vaccines because of heinous acts perpetrated against the race in past decades. He says it would be similar to when Elvis got the polio vaccine.

Kareem disagrees with Barkley that athletes should step to the front of the line because they pay more taxes than others.

That argument suggests that the lives of those who make more money (and presumably pay more taxes) are somehow more valuable than the nurses, police officers, emergency medical workers, grocery clerks, and others risking their lives daily. This is, of course, untrue. NBA players don’t deserve to move to the front of the line because they are rich or because the country needs basketball during these isolating times. It’s not a matter of deserving as much as a way to get to herd immunity faster.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/01/opinion/nba-covid-vaccine-kareem-abdul-jabbar.html?campaign_id=9&emc=edit_nn_20210201&instance_id=26625&nl=the-morning&regi_id=108420427&segment_id=50744&te=1&user_id=d36dcf821462fdd16ec3636710a855fa
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1334 on: February 01, 2021, 08:21:23 AM »
Really good tweet that shows how the vaccines are all really going to help.

https://twitter.com/dankmccoy/status/1356243098146385920?s=20
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1335 on: February 01, 2021, 09:38:28 AM »
Really good tweet that shows how the vaccines are all really going to help.

https://twitter.com/dankmccoy/status/1356243098146385920?s=20

That was a great piece. For those who want to read the whole article:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/01/briefing/vaccination-myanmar-coup-rochester-police.html

Another interesting paragraph:

Last week, Dr. William Schaffner of Vanderbilt University told my colleague Denise Grady about a conversation he had with other experts. During it, they imagined that a close relative had to choose between getting the Johnson & Johnson vaccine now or waiting three weeks to get the Moderna or Pfizer vaccine. “All of us said, ‘Get the one tomorrow,’” Schaffner said. “The virus is bad. You’re risking three more weeks of exposure as opposed to getting protection tomorrow.”

Warriors4ever

• All American

• All American
« Reply #1337 on: February 01, 2021, 12:14:16 PM »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1338 on: February 01, 2021, 01:13:35 PM »

Vaccine shaming is going to be a thing for awhile I guess.

Yep. And it'll probably take lots of forms.

I heard a troubling one the other day, but can't find the link. A pregnant teacher went to get her shot, which was being administered by National Guard troops who were not healthcare professionals, but trained just to give the shots to pre-screened people. When the teacher got to the front of the line, the person administering the vaccine tried to talk her out of it, and said she was going to 'hurt her baby' by getting vaccinated while pregnant. This, despite the fact that leading experts (the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, the Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine and the CDC) all say the mRNA vaccines are safe for pregnant women.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/wondering-about-covid-19-vaccines-if-youre-pregnant-or-breastfeeding-2021010721722

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1339 on: February 01, 2021, 01:45:59 PM »
https://www.radio.com/wbbm780/news/soulcycle-instructor-gets-covid-vaccine-sparks-controversy

Don’t be this person...

In all fairness, what did she do wrong? The rules in her state permit her to get the vaccine.

In states where they consider a former smoker, or someone who is overweight, phase 1B, are they wrong for getting the vaccine when available to them? What about states letting restaurant and food service workers to get the vaccine?

I'd argue, the only thing she did wrong, was be insensitive to the fact that a lot of people are struggling to find the vaccine, and boasting about the fact that she was able to get it is a bit insensitive. But the act of getting it, nothing wrong with it.

• All American
« Reply #1340 on: February 01, 2021, 01:47:46 PM »
In all fairness, what did she do wrong? The rules in her state permit her to get the vaccine.

In states where they consider a former smoker, or someone who is overweight, phase 1B, are they wrong for getting the vaccine when available to them? What about states letting restaurant and food service workers to get the vaccine?

I'd argue, the only thing she did wrong, was be insensitive to the fact that a lot of people are struggling to find the vaccine, and boasting about the fact that she was able to get it is a bit insensitive. But the act of getting it, nothing wrong with it.

Exactly.  Again we need to stop the morality play around this.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1341 on: February 01, 2021, 01:56:43 PM »

Competent agree. If the end goal is a high percentage of the population vaccinated, let it happen. Outside of outright fraud or shady “pay to play” scenarios, which this clearly is not, people need to chill and stop being the arbiter of “fair”

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #1342 on: February 01, 2021, 02:00:35 PM »

Yep. And it'll probably take lots of forms.

I heard a troubling one the other day, but can't find the link. A pregnant teacher went to get her shot, which was being administered by National Guard troops who were not healthcare professionals, but trained just to give the shots to pre-screened people. When the teacher got to the front of the line, the person administering the vaccine tried to talk her out of it, and said she was going to 'hurt her baby' by getting vaccinated while pregnant. This, despite the fact that leading experts (the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, the Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine and the CDC) all say the mRNA vaccines are safe for pregnant women.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/wondering-about-covid-19-vaccines-if-youre-pregnant-or-breastfeeding-2021010721722

From the Harvard blog you linked:  "However, the World Health Organization (WHO) recommends against using mRNA vaccines in pregnant women unless the benefit to an individual outweighs potential vaccine risks."  My youngest is due with her first this month.  Her OB/GYN had OK'ed her schedule for the vaccine (she's a teacher) but then told her to cancel, citing the WHO advisory. 
Ludum habemus.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1343 on: February 01, 2021, 02:13:53 PM »
From the Harvard blog you linked:  "However, the World Health Organization (WHO) recommends against using mRNA vaccines in pregnant women unless the benefit to an individual outweighs potential vaccine risks."  My youngest is due with her first this month.  Her OB/GYN had OK'ed her schedule for the vaccine (she's a teacher) but then told her to cancel, citing the WHO advisory.

You missed my point: that it was inappropriate for the National Guard person, who was NOT a trained healthcare provider, to be giving her advice on this, and trying to shame her by saying she would 'hurt her baby.'

And frankly, when the CDC, ACOG and SMFM all say 'yes' and WHO says 'maybe,' the great majority of experts seem to be comfortable with it. If there were any real concerns, they would all be saying 'NO' in big, bold capital letters.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #1344 on: February 01, 2021, 02:53:04 PM »
Gotcha.  Unless the National Guard troops were instructed not to give it to pregnant women?  I haven't seen the story you referenced, so I'll take your word on the inappropriateness.
Ludum habemus.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1345 on: February 01, 2021, 04:52:30 PM »
Gotcha.  Unless the National Guard troops were instructed not to give it to pregnant women?  I haven't seen the story you referenced, so I'll take your word on the inappropriateness.

Yeah - sorry I can't find the story. It was either on the TV news or maybe NPR, and I can't find a transcript or story. But they made it quite apparent that it was just one NG member expressing his opinion that she was making a bad decision. When she insisted, they gave her the shot.

Anyway, I think it's reasonable for a pregnant woman to go whichever way she feels most comfortable with, after consulting with her doc. If some percentage of pregnant women are the only people who decide to wait, our national vaccine effort will be just fine.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #1346 on: February 01, 2021, 08:15:28 PM »
Exactly.  Again we need to stop the morality play around this.

yes and if we could "circle back" on any number of topics here, i wish the same attitude would have been taken
don't...don't don't don't don't

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #1347 on: February 01, 2021, 08:24:38 PM »
I’m going to disagree -the reason I posted it is because it’s questionable whether she is an educator as envisioned by the tiers  -by her logic, my personal trainer is an educator too. I think that’s why she is getting flack.

• All American
« Reply #1348 on: February 01, 2021, 08:27:01 PM »
  yes and if we could "circle back" on any number of topics here, i wish the same attitude would have been taken

Like pushing the use of Hydroxy?

• All American
« Reply #1349 on: February 01, 2021, 08:28:49 PM »
I’m going to disagree -the reason I posted it is because it’s questionable whether she is an educator as envisioned by the tiers  -by her logic, my personal trainer is an educator too. I think that’s why she is getting flack.

The state where she resides allowed her to get the shot. As long as she was truthful with her replies, thats the only thing she has to worry about.