[May 15, 2024, 06:12:27 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[May 15, 2024, 09:31:52 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2024 Transfer Portal  (Read 244250 times)

The Lens

• All American
Re: 2024 Transfer Portal
« Reply #150 on: March 04, 2024, 11:41:30 AM »
I don't think Shaka is against the portal. I think he was against it for this year's team. Shaka seems to be a guy who does what it takes to win.

Year 1: Kur + Darryl Morsell
Year 2: Bring back 7 of yuour top 8
Year 3: TBD

The portal will not be the solution to all our problems, nor with it be some villian. It's a tool, we'll see how much we utilize it next season. But to think it's banned from #mubb is foolish.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #151 on: March 04, 2024, 11:54:03 AM »
Didn't Shaka at least reach out to some transfers last offseason?  IIRC, players like Tyrese Samuel (starting at Florida), Jahmyl Telfort (starting at Butler), and Aly Khalifa (starting at BYU) were all contacted.

Notice how all of those players chose places where they could start, rather than have to compete with the BE 6th Man of the Year for said starting spot.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #152 on: March 04, 2024, 11:57:24 AM »
I don't think Shaka is against the portal. I think he was against it for this year's team. Shaka seems to be a guy who does what it takes to win.

The portal will not be the solution to all our problems, nor with it be some villian. It's a tool, we'll see how much we utilize it next season. But to think it's banned from #mubb is foolish.

This is completely fair.  I also think any expectation that Shaka will drop a sizable NIL bag to someone in the portal is also foolish based on what he has stated multiple times. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #153 on: March 04, 2024, 11:59:38 AM »
So, will Shaka be able to find a player that makes the team better but does not require a large bag drop? 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #154 on: March 04, 2024, 12:00:48 PM »
How about ...

Those who felt it would help the team if Shaka brought in a transfer who could replace some of what OMax did well, and to give the roster more versatility and depth.

I think that's pretty well thought out, but you're allowed to disagree.
Or How about….Jop we are so thankful for believing in our staff to make you such a huge asset off the bench. We have even bigger plans for you this year. As you know, you are a rising junior and it is your time. We are going to work day and night to get you stronger, make you a better defender, make you a better rebounder, make you a better offensive rebounder, we think you have advantage with your strength to get to the middle of the lane. We already know you are a great shooter from deep. These are all things our staff will work on. These are the relationships I can been preaching. This is the growth that we foresee from you…..you good?

Oh yeah…..and dont read scoop, some there want to risk the chemistry that this team shares………that I value more than anyone…..and pay the going price to transfer A.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #155 on: March 04, 2024, 12:01:12 PM »
Making yourself the victim, very much on point for you.

Sure coaches over recruit.  Ben was recruited over Keeyan. Chase was recruited over Ellis.  The difference with both of those situations is that they were both in the program for two+ years.  Shaka was watching them practice for 2+ years, Shaka had seen that they couldn't contribute in games for 1 year.  The players saw that there was somebody younger than them that was ahead of them on the depth chart.  None of those currently apply to Hamilton. He's been on campus for less than a year (a year when he was supposed to be at prep school btw), and hasn't had the chance to prove that he can (or can't) contribute, due to his sitting out the year.  If he can't get any game time next year at this time, the suggestion may have some merit, but at this point, it laughably stupid to suggest pulling his scholarship to go get a transfer.

Well, his brother-in-law is mean
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #156 on: March 04, 2024, 12:01:41 PM »

Forgot Kolek and OMax. But that was also go jumpstart a program in Year 1. He hasn't shown that he will recruit the portal over his guys already here, and has even said the same.
VIOLENCE!

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #157 on: March 04, 2024, 12:20:37 PM »
No, every time a freshman disappoints “we’re” not going to assume he’s a division II-caliber player.

This is a very silly stance you’ve taken. When it comes to Al specifically, I think the odds he’s a legitimate contributor at Marquette far outweigh the likelihood of him transferring after this season. A lot in this thread seem to disagree with that. Let me know if you’d like to put some cash on it.

What stance have I taken?

I never said he was going to transfer after this year. I most certainly never said anything about him being a "division ii quality player," so you can put that strawman away.

The only thing I said was that responding to "that guy's not what I thought he was going to be," by bringing up Oso, ignores the fact that Oso was a complete unicorn. His path is not common and actually downplays how much work he has put in to get where he is now. It is way more common for freshmen who plays nothing but garbage time, to never actually be that good.

And I don't gamble.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2024, 12:28:27 PM by The Sultan of Semantics »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Viper

• All American
« Reply #158 on: March 04, 2024, 12:29:49 PM »
Making yourself the victim, very much on point for you.

Sure coaches over recruit.  Ben was recruited over Keeyan. Chase was recruited over Ellis.  The difference with both of those situations is that they were both in the program for two+ years.  Shaka was watching them practice for 2+ years, Shaka had seen that they couldn't contribute in games for 1 year.  The players saw that there was somebody younger than them that was ahead of them on the depth chart.  None of those currently apply to Hamilton. He's been on campus for less than a year (a year when he was supposed to be at prep school btw), and hasn't had the chance to prove that he can (or can't) contribute, due to his sitting out the year.  If he can't get any game time next year at this time, the suggestion may have some merit, but at this point, it laughably stupid to suggest pulling his scholarship to go get a transfer.
its all in good fun. Really. Note the laugh emojis. No victim. Wow folks are wound tight. It’s Monday, but come on!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #159 on: March 04, 2024, 12:44:05 PM »
Or How about….Jop we are so thankful for believing in our staff to make you such a huge asset off the bench. We have even bigger plans for you this year. As you know, you are a rising junior and it is your time. We are going to work day and night to get you stronger, make you a better defender, make you a better rebounder, make you a better offensive rebounder, we think you have advantage with your strength to get to the middle of the lane. We already know you are a great shooter from deep. These are all things our staff will work on. These are the relationships I can been preaching. This is the growth that we foresee from you…..you good?

Very good. I wouldn't have said or expected otherwise.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU82

• All American
« Reply #160 on: March 04, 2024, 12:48:49 PM »
It is well thought out.  Imagining the roster with a transfer guard or big next year is as well.  However, what isn’t well thought out is saying Shaka should pull a scholarship to bring in a transfer.  Simply won’t happen, nor should it given what HE SAYS REPEADETLY
Good points, Unk.

Something I definitely could see: Shaka bringing in a player who was in the past Shakasphere in some way (past recruit, former player, someone Nevada or another assistant knows, etc) who wanted to come to Marquette and wasn't asking to break the bank. And if that resulted in a player leaving who might be better off a level down, I could see Shaka helping that decision get made (as it did with Ellis and Ikejere).

I certainly don't expect that to happen, but it's the kind of thing I could see happening ... and if it did, I don't think Shaka would have to fend off claims that he is a hypocrite.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Goose

• All American
« Reply #161 on: March 04, 2024, 12:58:08 PM »
I have said for two years that I believe that any portal transfer will likely be past recruits that he knows the player and family well, and it will be guys that will be here 2-3 years. IMO, that is not far different than re-recruiting kids to stay at MU every year. I do not believe it is possible to field a top 20 team every year with never hitting the portal.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #162 on: March 04, 2024, 01:20:16 PM »
You really have an experienced team coming back next year, so getting a solid point with experience would help

Tyler COLEk

• All American
« Reply #163 on: March 04, 2024, 01:48:03 PM »
What stance have I taken?

I never said he was going to transfer after this year. I most certainly never said anything about him being a "division ii quality player," so you can put that strawman away.

The only thing I said was that responding to "that guy's not what I thought he was going to be," by bringing up Oso, ignores the fact that Oso was a complete unicorn. His path is not common and actually downplays how much work he has put in to get where he is now. It is way more common for freshmen who plays nothing but garbage time, to never actually be that good.

And I don't gamble.

I'll make my position crystal clear for you: scoopers in this thread suggested Al's future at Marquette is dim. I do not agree with that assessment. My position is based both on my own subjective impression of his limited playing time and the collegiate experience of 90% of freshmen D1 basketball players. I used Oso to make a point about the extreme variance in outcomes for those minimally utilized freshmen. Your forced suggestion that I was arguing Al = Oso was the "strawman" here.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #164 on: March 04, 2024, 01:51:00 PM »
I'll make my position crystal clear for you: scoopers in this thread suggested Al's future at Marquette is dim. I do not agree with that assessment. My position is based both on my own subjective impression of his limited playing time and the collegiate experience of 90% of freshmen D1 basketball players. I used Oso to make a point about the extreme variance in outcomes for those minimally utilized freshmen. Your forced suggestion that I was arguing Al = Oso was the "strawman" here.

Forced? You literally brought up Oso when talking about Al.

Al's played 52 minutes so far this year, 14 more than the freshman season of the All-Big East forward starting for MU.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #165 on: March 04, 2024, 02:50:58 PM »
I don’t see anyway Ben is better next year and doubt Al or Caedin are any good.  Shaka and his staff have done a terrible job identifying talent and worst yet, developing it.

I’d throw the bag at Steve Crowl and get a big aircraft carrier like him to man the middle.
Preferably big aircraft carrier that shoots the midrange
Goal is National Championship

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #166 on: March 04, 2024, 02:54:28 PM »
that’s not my experience 😂. I’m thinking of amending my moniker to Dork Moron Snowflake Idiot Lost Viper 😂😂😂
btw, coaches over recruit. If it’s determined a player on scholarship might be a miss…for whatever reason…talent, culture fit, whatever it might be…coaches will look at options. Solid character coaches will help find a new home/better fit for that player, but it does happen. On the down side/unethical, didn’t Buzz kick a signed recruit to the curb at the last minute?
I like lost Viper

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #167 on: March 04, 2024, 09:14:16 PM »
This thread sux, I feel responsible.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #168 on: March 04, 2024, 09:29:13 PM »
This thread sux, I feel responsible.
Own it

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #169 on: March 08, 2024, 01:23:38 PM »
Emarion Ellis name hasn't showed up yet in the transfer portal.  I guess he would have to sit out a year before he became eligible to play. 
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

GoFastAndWin

• Team Captain
« Reply #170 on: March 08, 2024, 01:28:01 PM »
Emarion Ellis name hasn't showed up yet in the transfer portal.  I guess he would have to sit out a year before he became eligible to play.

Herman, why would you Keeyan him? A possible return?

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #171 on: March 08, 2024, 01:28:29 PM »

https://twitter.com/VerbalCommits/status/1759418526127858154

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #172 on: March 09, 2024, 09:11:34 PM »
https://twitter.com/VerbalCommits/status/1759418526127858154
Thanks for the update. Nichols State is a good level for EE. Hopefully he can enjoy a couple good seasons once he is eligible.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

EasyDuzIt

• Walk-On
« Reply #173 on: March 10, 2024, 01:20:06 AM »
wow...couldnt get minutes at Bradley even and is down to nicholls level..i really thought he might be one of the better kids out of that recruiting class with the size he had..obviously he was an over ranked prospect coming out

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #174 on: March 10, 2024, 06:34:38 AM »
wow...couldnt get minutes at Bradley even and is down to nicholls level..i really thought he might be one of the better kids out of that recruiting class with the size he had..obviously he was an over ranked prospect coming out

He also had a stress fracture knee injury at Marquette.  Hard to judge a kid once that happens.