'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Tongue-in-cheek comments by Buzz  (Read 1220 times)

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Tongue-in-cheek comments by Buzz
« on: December 07, 2008, 11:15:57 AM »
I don't know the guy, but I think he makes a lot of tongue-in-cheek comments. You know, the "wait for it...." kind of kickers. Stuff you and your buddy would be saying to each other to razz you and puff up the chest a little. But still being polite about it all.

Some examples:

"This program is about our players, about our institution and about our fans," Williams said. "It's not about me." (It kinda is a little about you, Buzz!)

"I thought the last 16 minutes was Joe Frazier and Muhammad Ali," said Williams. "I thought it was an incredible college game, and I'm not just saying that because we won." (Yup, it's all because we won!)

But then again...

"I'm really not concerned with how I'm perceived, to be honest with you," Williams said.
SS Marquette

Tommy Brice for Coach

• Team Captain
  • Tommy Brice is my hero
Re: Tongue-in-cheek comments by Buzz
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 11:39:49 AM »
I just listened to Buzz's post-game press conference and I really do think  he believes that it isn't about him. I don't think he is being tongue in cheek. If you listen to the post game audio, especially at the end, you can just TELL he is so grateful to have this job, and only wants MU to do well. You can tell he isn't doing this for himself, he is doing it for the players, MU, and the fans.

He is extremely humble - he just beat a top 10 coach and he doesn't come out and say a word about how he out-coached him or anything... he still continues to give praise to Bo for all he has done.

I've got a feeling Buzz could be this way for a long, long time. At one point, he was asked if this was a benchmark win. He responded by saying "How many wins does Bo have?" The reporter responded "a lot." Buzz then asked "And how many do I have?" "A little." Buzz then responds "Exactly - this ain't a benchmark win." This shows Buzz doesn't get caught up in one game and can see the grand scheme of things in the long run. This probably explains a lot of Buzz's recruiting and why it has been so good - he sees the gaps coming in the program and is looking to fill them, whereas Crean couldn't really do that so well (mostly with players down low).

This is a big win for the fans - it gives us confidence in this years team, and our new coach. But for Buzz... its just day 242.