[May 06, 2024, 10:32:52 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[May 06, 2024, 06:06:48 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Billy Hoyle
[May 06, 2024, 05:33:31 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by BLWarrior91
[May 06, 2024, 05:19:00 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: We are going to get worked on Saturday  (Read 8289 times)

Blackhat

• All American
We are going to get worked on Saturday
« on: December 02, 2008, 08:43:42 PM »
I don't want to be doom and gloom but our offense and defense are way too sloppy right now.   There's a reason Crean called plays and you need that kind of structure against UW.   Our guys don't have a high enough basketball IQ and haven't played a motion offense long enough to be efficient against UW's defense.   On D, well somehow we've got worse to the point our guards get toasted and no help d rotation is in sight.  I'm kind of in a bad mood but I still call a rough game on Saturday.   UW 85 MU 77. 

(and the full court trap isn't going to work, you can tell Buzz is getting ready to try the trap against UW in the CMU game.  If an idiot like me can figure it out so will Bo and they'll just get free points off it, imo)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 08:49:30 PM by Stone Cold »

Silky

• Scholarship Player
Re: We are going to get worked on Saturday
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 08:51:09 PM »
I agree.  UW will put on a clinic over these MU lads.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 08:59:25 PM »
I don't want to be doom and gloom but our offense and defense are way too sloppy right now.   There's a reason Crean called plays and you need that kind of structure against UW.   Our guys don't have a high enough basketball IQ and haven't played a motion offense long enough to be efficient against UW's defense.   On D, well somehow we've got worse to the point our guards get toasted and no help d rotation is in sight.  I'm kind of in a bad mood but I still call a rough game on Saturday.   UW 85 MU 77. 

(and the full court trap isn't going to work, you can tell Buzz is getting ready to try the trap against UW in the CMU game.  If an idiot like me can figure it out so will Bo and they'll just get free points off it, imo)

I have a fond place in my heart for people that start statements "I don't want to be (fill in the blank) but...

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 09:12:19 PM »
This team is sloppy.  Don't finish well.  Terrible hands.  Bad decisions.  Inability to make the open shot.  Jerel McNeal playing with his head down at both ends of the court.  Forcing it.  Wes falling down with the ball on at least two or three occasions.  I love MU, but this is tough to watch.  I hate UW, but they are going to school MU on Sat.

This is going to be a tough stretch for the squad.  After watching this I am more bummed out than I was at the Sears Centre last Saturday.

What's up with Burke?  And what is the deal with Williams' substitution patterns (or lack there of)?  Does he get a bonus for every substitution made?  WTF?

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 09:32:43 PM »
I have a fond place in my heart for people that start statements "I don't want to be (fill in the blank) but...

you know what they say... everything before "but" is bullsh*t
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 09:36:05 PM »
I think Marquette is playing rope a dope.  Trying to fool everyone that we are horrible and then BAM!
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 09:36:25 PM »
too simplistic.....if I say "I want to be doom and gloom",  that is bullsh.t.    That's a nice saying though Henry.   Catchy but not true.   I wish I could be chipper and sunshine pumping MU everyday.   But we suck right now.    

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 09:46:49 PM »
Prelim numbers

Marquette Efficiency - 110.0
UW Efficiency - 100.5
Pace - 67 possessions

74 - 68 Marquette

75% chance of a Marquette victory

... but I'll want to crunch tonight's numbers and see how they might impact the outcome of the game.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 10:14:03 PM »
I don't know about Saturday. We were extremely sloppy tonight and I hate the run-and-gun crapola, but I think we play well against UW. They're disciplined but slow and maybe our pressure defense can give them problems. I do fear foul problems, though. Bo's whining means at least a 10-FT edge for Bucky.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 11:25:03 PM »
Besides the lack of an inside presence, I think the reason MU is not playing well is that they are having trouble adjusting to the new defensive style. For three years they were taught to be aggressive defensively with their hands. They often committed a lot of reaching fouls, but were effective at disrupting the other team. Now Buzz is trying to teach them to play defense with their feet. They are not fouling as much, but are not as effective defensively. Bo Ryan teaches his team the same way. The difference is that the Badger seniors have been taught to do that from day one.

JSwarriors08

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 12:25:48 AM »
This post serves to remind me that SOME REALLY STUPID THINGS get said on this board.  Pessimism certainly does run rampant here.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 12:39:43 AM »
Keep in mind we have 4 guys who can take over the game, and they probably have 2 in Landry and Hughes.  I think our guards can hopefully contain Hughes.  Landry will be a problem.  I really hope Lazar either defends Landry and does not get into foul trouble (which may be hard) or we have Wes guard him.  Not sure which would be best since Wes is our most effective player offensively, but Lazar is our only inside thread and rebounder.  Wes rebounds but Lazar plays inside more.  I think we can definitely win, it's just going to take a passionate game from our guys and we need to crowd to be into it!

Doctor V

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2008, 12:58:04 AM »
MU by 16- this site will be funny on sunday  ;)

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2008, 01:12:22 AM »
We will miss Fulce big time on Saturday. He would have been a perfect assignment on Landry. Quick enough to stay with him, long enough to cause problems.

As far as the MU by 16 prediction.... my gut says we'll lose by 12. But there's a part of me that thinks that they might surprise us a bit, ala the home game vs. ND last year.

MUFanInGreenBay

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2008, 01:45:25 AM »
Yes, UW is a good basketball team and it will be a stiff test on Sat. However, this isn't North Carolina rolling into the BC this weekend folks. UW isn't some freakin elite team. They pose their share of matchup problems for us with guys like Landry, Leuer, and Hughes. MU also presents some problems for them with our big 4. I think the game will come down to the benches because the starting 5 for each team are pretty equal with a slight advantage to MU. We need guys like Cubillian and Acker to knock down some shots. And I hope Bohannon doesn't find his stroke fom deep for UW.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2008, 02:01:29 AM »
I am pretty excited for the game and I think MU has a great shot to win.  Wisconsin definitely has their flaws.  I am a bit happier with our offense this year.  My ONLY major concern is our foul situation as of late. 

If we can nail some jumpers and control the tempo, I think we will win convincingly. 
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2008, 02:59:24 AM »
I think Marquette is playing rope a dope.  Trying to fool everyone that we are horrible and then BAM!

BAM! BAM! BAM!  3 straight wins in the NIT.   ;)

i actually hope the first BAM comes on Saturday.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2008, 05:10:52 AM »
If we hit 31 of 38 FTs, we're $$$ on Saturday.
SS Marquette

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2008, 08:00:12 AM »
If anyone takes 38 FTs on Saturday, it won't be us. That's four games worth of opposition FTs for Wisconsin.

jce

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2008, 08:47:00 AM »
I am pretty excited for the game and I think MU has a great shot to win.  Wisconsin definitely has their flaws.  I am a bit happier with our offense this year.  My ONLY major concern is our foul situation as of late. 

If we can nail some jumpers and control the tempo, I think we will win convincingly. 

Watching Wisconsin play on Monday, I got the impression that they are much more comfortable with a quick tempo than they have been in years past.  That being said, they are not as good as last year's team and a team that is supposedly as good as Marquette should beat them playing at home.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2008, 09:28:26 AM »
Jordan Taylor, a freshman point guard for Madison that played at my high school is getting 15 minutes a game for them and he is absolutely horrible and not ready for Marquette yet.  We need to exploit that kid on the point whenever he is in.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2008, 10:06:47 AM »
We will miss Fulce big time on Saturday.

Fulce might be around depending on how this week of practice goes.

4thAndState

• Starter
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2008, 10:11:27 AM »
Marqptm -- Is this just wishful thinking or do you know something from inside the program?

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2008, 10:13:44 AM »
Wow... that would be outstanding if it happens.

*DISCLAIMER* Before I get accused of calling him a "Savior" by a former player who frequents these boards... If he can put in some good minutes defensively and on the glass, it will be a big help. Any scoring is gravy. Same with Otule. They will at the very least give us depth where we need it most.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2008, 10:26:38 AM »
I was told that Fulce was cleared to play as of last night's game. He was out warming up with O'Tule well before anyone else yesterday.

nola03

« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2008, 10:55:40 AM »
Marquette is not playing well this season for the full 40 except Northern Iowa but I still see Wisconsin as a very good matchup to be exploited by our personnel.

The Badgers played their perfect game on Monday night and I think it may have been the only time some MU fans saw them and are disproportionately worried.

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2008, 11:00:32 AM »
MU wins this game. The coaching matchup scares me but MU actually is in a must win situation after the Dayton loss. We win by 10 on Saturday night.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2008, 11:21:40 AM »
UW has the better coach so that doesn't help us. That's not a bash on Buzz, just a fact that whether you hate Bo or love him, he's done more with less talent than most coaches in the country. He could be the X factor. Hopefully Buzz takes him down.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2008, 11:45:37 AM »
If Bucky doesn't turn the ball over, they win.   If the score is <75, Bucky wins.   If Bucky has more FTA's than us, they win.    If Marquette is able to turn over Bucky's guards and Burke channels last years' game, we win.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2008, 12:09:37 PM »
I really like the matchup here.  Dayton was able to run with us, keep our pace, beat us at our own game.  I don't see Wisconsin able to do this. 

Bucky might be able to slow down the tempo, but with the press we will put on, I think it will be hard for them to get into their set.  Yes they will run the shot clock down as ESPN pointed out every possession on monday, but I dont think we will let them start that set untill <28 secs on the shot clock.  It makes a difference!

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2008, 12:16:00 PM »
MU wins this game. The coaching matchup scares me but MU actually is in a must win situation after the Dayton loss. We win by 10 on Saturday night.

exactly zero games in december are 'must win' games.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2008, 01:25:03 PM »
I was told that Fulce was cleared to play as of last night's game. He was out warming up with O'Tule well before anyone else yesterday.

Thats great news but how badly hurt is McNeal?  He had that nasty collision on his knee last week and his xray was negative but it doesn't look like McNeal is as quick as he has been in the past.   

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2008, 07:15:32 PM »
ptm is right in regards to Fulce. He's cleared and if this week goes well in practice and the pain isn't too bad for him, I expect him to play.  This will really help as he's another guy we can throw into the mix to give Zar some breathers if he gets in foul trouble instead of going with a DJ, McNeal, Cubie, Matthews, Butler lineup. We'll need his athleticism and size. He was hitting a lot of midrange jumpers during his runthrough prior to yesterdays game.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2008, 07:59:14 PM »
exactly zero games in december are 'must win' games.

+100

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2008, 08:24:10 PM »
+100

Two years ago we lost to NDSU at home and Wisconsin at home and still made the tournament.  Much worse than losing to Dayton on a neutral court and Wisconsin at home.  In no way is this a must win.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2008, 09:02:27 PM »
Define "must-win"

From a team perspective, it's definitely not a must-win.

For Buzz, however, a loss on Saturday erases much of the goodwill he has gathered so far.  Look at all the consternation after the loss to Dayton.  Think it'll be any better losing a second weekend in a row... on our home court... to a key rival?

If Buzz doesn't win, he's in an awfully deep hole with a lot of fans.

nola03

« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2008, 09:14:52 PM »

I understand the point about Buzz being in a hole though I'm not sure how deep it will reach. Even with the rivalry game, it's still early.

I also think the reverse is true: if Buzz' words on defense stand up on Saturday night and his push it down their throats philosophy on offense/transition pummels UW into the ground and MU controls the game for 40 minutes and wins by 15 or more, coach may get a reprieve from unlikely sources well into January.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2008, 09:37:44 PM »
Dukiet smoked Bucky early on in his first season and we all know how that turned out.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

nola03

« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2008, 10:04:19 PM »
Dukiet smoked Bucky early on in his first season and we all know how that turned out.

The Wisconsin program is of a much different stature then it was for Dukiet's debut.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2008, 08:40:11 AM »
Define "must-win"

From a team perspective, it's definitely not a must-win.

For Buzz, however, a loss on Saturday erases much of the goodwill he has gathered so far.  Look at all the consternation after the loss to Dayton.  Think it'll be any better losing a second weekend in a row... on our home court... to a key rival?

it speaks for itself (since everyone went ape-poopy last time i used a law term)

no game in december is a must win and people who judge whether or not a coach is 'good' in the first month or two of games probably will never be happy.  Let the judging occur in March (or April, knock on wood) when the season is over.

While we were 'supposed' to beat Dayton, I think a lot of people aren't giving them the credit they deserve. 

Dayton - 7-0
18th RPI
27th AP poll
19th USA Today/ESPN

Wisconsin - 6-1
15th RPI
28th AP poll
21st USA Today/ESPN

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2008, 07:18:59 PM »
Wow...the Stone Cold Stunner...of pessimism.  Thanks for posting, Debbie Downer.  We're going to win on Saturday. 

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2008, 01:47:55 PM »
Hey Stone Cold--great call!  We really got "worked" didn't we? 

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2008, 02:18:43 PM »
Ha. Ha.   I'm glad to take the kitten of the month award.

Lets build on this now fellas, defense looked a lot more solid last night.   

mviale

• All American
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2008, 04:22:24 PM »

I told yall!
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259