'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by MurphysTillClose
[Today at 01:45:25 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 01:42:55 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[Today at 11:39:44 AM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MU82
[May 20, 2024, 10:14:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Tough Questions Need To Be Asked  (Read 41368 times)

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
Re: Tough Questions Need To Be Asked
« Reply #175 on: April 16, 2019, 03:26:30 PM »
Maybe a little Tyler Herro envy by Joey.

Very possible. I thought our program was supposed to be so horrible, yet hmmm a kid supposedly on a par with Tyler Herro, KY star and future NBA player...ends up possibly being told his minutes will decrease. That’s a sign our program is close to being elite. I thought this kind of depth/minute reduction thing only happens at the blue bloods?

So we lose said kid and his bro, and now we’re NCAA bottom feeders. Got it.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

Goose

• All American
« Reply #176 on: April 16, 2019, 03:31:23 PM »
Colt
The Hauser’s were not losing minutes to anyone on the current roster. Again, folks were talking Cain going to a mid major. Guys we are losing are going to major program. I am big Bailey fan, but he was not starting over Joey.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #177 on: April 16, 2019, 03:33:43 PM »
Colt
The Hauser’s were not losing minutes to anyone on the current roster. Again, folks were talking Cain going to a mid major. Guys we are losing are going to major program. I am big Bailey fan, but he was not starting over Joey.

Goose, I'm with you 100%. The bias post-transfer announcement is astounding. Any program would be happy to have either Sam or Joey, let alone both.
We Are Marquette

Goose

• All American
« Reply #178 on: April 16, 2019, 03:35:52 PM »
Avenue
All of us want MU to be elite, but simply wanting it does not make it true. We lost two very, very good college players and do not have anyone to step in to replace them at the moment. Anyone that thinks otherwise is trying hard to believe it or convince others to believe it.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #179 on: April 16, 2019, 03:36:58 PM »
Until now

Because YOUR feelings are hurt. If it didn't surface in 90+ games or in 3 years of interacting with his teammates I'm gonna guess that's not who Sam is.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #180 on: April 16, 2019, 03:42:14 PM »
Lenny

Sam Hauser is a great kid and will be remembered as a great Warrior by anyone that appreciates the game. Everyone talks about not bashing kids on here, but once something goes other direction they seem to pile on. Sam was a big time baller for the Marquette Warriors.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #181 on: April 16, 2019, 03:50:44 PM »
Colt
The Hauser’s were not losing minutes to anyone on the current roster.

I keep hearing this, but he question the Wojo is terrible crowd can't seem to answer...where were Koby and Elliott's minutes going to come from? Remember you only have 200 to work with.

Chartouney averaged 15MPG and the dude barely played the second half of the season (not gonna do the math, but guessing it was something more like 6 or 7 during that stretch).  Elliott already averaged ~15Mpg his Freshman year.

So from the way the rotation ended up this year, you have effectively freed up less than 10 minutes, yet you were  likely looking at ~40 or more for Koby and Elliott combined. Where exactly were those going to come from?

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #182 on: April 16, 2019, 03:51:26 PM »
Because YOUR feelings are hurt. If it didn't surface in 90+ games or in 3 years of interacting with his teammates I'm gonna guess that's not who Sam is.
My feelings are not hurt in the slightest.  I have no emotional attachment to the Hausers.  I don't care that they are from Wisconsin and I don't think it matters one iota in the long run that they left. That's just my opinion. 

In fact, while the usual doom and gloom old-timers are posting about what a disaster this whole thing is and how Wojo should have been fired minutes after accepting the job, and that the program is a shambles, I have been posting that, DEPENDING ON WHO WOJO FILLS THE SCHOLARSHIPS WITH, this could end up working out just fine. 

The very same people have been bitching non-stop about how unathletic the team is compared to the teams that advanced in the tournament...we were a step slow, etc.  Guess what, the two most unathletic, slow guys on the team just bolted.  Two of the more one-dimensional players (spot up shooters, iso post up players) on what has been ridiculed as a one-dimensional offensive system (chuck threes) just bolted. 

IF WOJO CAN RECRUIT ATHLETIC BALL HANDLERS/SLASHERS to fill their spots, this could be totally transformative for how MU plays.  It totally hinges on Wojo's ability to recruit now.

This is what I'm hoping for.  As far as the Hausers go, I enjoyed watching them play for the most part, although I was amazed that Joey had zero explosiveness around the basket, was puzzled by how turnover prone they could both be in key situations, and of course loved watching them hit big shots.  Couldn't care less about them now that they've made this decision.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #183 on: April 16, 2019, 03:53:16 PM »
Atl MU

He has been recruiting for five years. Where are the type of players you noted?

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #184 on: April 16, 2019, 03:57:37 PM »
Atl MU

He has been recruiting for five years. Where are the type of players you noted?
They have not been in Wisconsin, that is for sure. 

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #185 on: April 16, 2019, 03:58:42 PM »
Colt

I mostly agree with you, Goose...but...

I really like Sam and Joey.  Sam is one of my favorite players in the last 20 years.  And it's pretty apparent from comments on this board that I liked Joey a lot more than most of the other posters.  I recognized he had some problems, but honestly think he might end up even better than Sam.

That said, I think it's pretty much undeniable that McEwen was going to play more than more minutes than Chartouny ever did.  Those minutes are going to come from somewhere.  I think Bailey will improve and play more minutes than he played this past year.  Those minutes are going to come from somewhere.  Elliott is going to be getting some minutes.  Those minutes are going to come from somewhere.

I understand that only one of those guys is a forward, but minutes are minutes.  There are only 200 minutes in the game.  I'd be willing to bet that those three guys combined will play more minutes than Chartouny, Heldt and Bailey played this season.  Again, those minutes would come from somewhere.  I don't think that Markus and Sam would have suffered much reduction in minutes.  So, I think it's pretty clear that Joey would have been losing some minutes.  And Anim.  That doesn't mean I think Joey would lose his starting spot, or that those other players are better than Joey.  But, if those three guys are going to get their minutes, I think Joey was going to lose some minutes.

But, I'm also firmly in the camp that Sam and Joey didn't leave because they were worried about playing time.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #186 on: April 16, 2019, 04:01:42 PM »
StillaWarrior

Anim would have lost minutes. Some on here feared him going grad transfer. The Hauser’s were the backbone of the program.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #187 on: April 16, 2019, 04:03:18 PM »
O, dis is addition bye subtraction. Hoo new, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #188 on: April 16, 2019, 04:04:59 PM »
Colt
if Koby started, who would have come off the bench?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #189 on: April 16, 2019, 04:06:09 PM »
Tower

Anim, if he returned.

williewarrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #190 on: April 16, 2019, 04:15:35 PM »
Avenue
All of us want MU to be elite, but simply wanting it does not make it true. We lost two very, very good college players and do not have anyone to step in to replace them at the moment. Anyone that thinks otherwise is trying hard to believe it or convince others to believe it.
Lots of people think otherwise, Goose. Of course they are thinking with their head in the sand.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #191 on: April 16, 2019, 04:20:57 PM »
Lenny

Sam Hauser is a great kid and will be remembered as a great Warrior by anyone that appreciates the game. Everyone talks about not bashing kids on here, but once something goes other direction they seem to pile on. Sam was a big time baller for the Marquette Warriors.

Goose I am definitely guilty of a little bashing, and it is not a “look” I like, but all I really said was that they quit on the team and they are slow. The way I presented it was definitely not proper considering that they are fine young men who gave their all for the program. I do feel that to leave under the circumstances that they did, with us on the cusp of a top5 ranking, is nothing but selfish. In today’s day and age, I understand that this seems to be the way of the world, especially with every kid thinking they are THE MAN.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

steff_mckee

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #192 on: April 16, 2019, 04:24:13 PM »
May be too simplistic, maybe not.  Basketball is supposed to be fun.  The Hausers weren't having any fun.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #193 on: April 16, 2019, 04:26:11 PM »
StillaWarrior

Anim would have lost minutes. Some on here feared him going grad transfer. The Hauser’s were the backbone of the program.

I agree with all of those statements.  But none of those facts changes my opinion that Joey Hauser would have lost minutes next year.  I'm not suggesting that Joey's minutes would have fallen off a cliff, but you said "the Hauser's weren't losing minutes to anyone on the current roster."  I disagree.  Joey would have lost some.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 04:28:18 PM by StillAWarrior »

Class71

• All American
« Reply #194 on: April 16, 2019, 04:26:53 PM »
Lenny

Correct again but most will not get past the emotional stuff.  This was a huge loss for our program. It is not the end of the program but it highlights the weaknesses of the current regime.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #195 on: April 16, 2019, 04:28:43 PM »
nm

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #196 on: April 16, 2019, 04:32:51 PM »
I agree with all of those statements.  But none of those facts changes my opinion that Joey Hauser would have lost minutes next year.  I'm not suggesting that Joey's minutes would have fallen off a cliff, but you said "the Hauser's weren't losing minutes to anyone on the current roster."  I disagree.  Joey would have lost some.

Yes, I think Joey would have lost a few minutes. Doesn't change the fact he would have been a big contributor for the team next season, with a far greater role in two years. A significant loss.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #197 on: April 16, 2019, 04:33:04 PM »
Goose, I'm with you 100%. The bias post-transfer announcement is astounding. Any program would be happy to have either Sam or Joey, let alone both.
As a Raider fan I witnessed first hand fans rationalize the loss of Khalil Mack as “he wasn’t that great anyways”. It’s what fans do and it’s silly. The Hausers are great basketball players.

That said if they go to UW they’re dead to me
No Finish Line

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #198 on: April 16, 2019, 04:35:36 PM »
Yes, I think Joey would have lost a few minutes. Doesn't change the fact he would have been a big contributor for the team next season, with a far greater role in two years. A significant loss.

I agree 100%, and I'm not suggesting otherwise.  I'm a big fan of the Hausers, and I think that this is a huge loss for the team and the program.  I just think that Goose is over-stating when he says Joey wasn't going to lose any minutes.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #199 on: April 16, 2019, 04:40:06 PM »
My feelings are not hurt in the slightest.  I have no emotional attachment to the Hausers.  I don't care that they are from Wisconsin and I don't think it matters one iota in the long run that they left. That's just my opinion. 

In fact, while the usual doom and gloom old-timers are posting about what a disaster this whole thing is and how Wojo should have been fired minutes after accepting the job, and that the program is a shambles, I have been posting that, DEPENDING ON WHO WOJO FILLS THE SCHOLARSHIPS WITH, this could end up working out just fine. 

The very same people have been bitching non-stop about how unathletic the team is compared to the teams that advanced in the tournament...we were a step slow, etc.  Guess what, the two most unathletic, slow guys on the team just bolted.  Two of the more one-dimensional players (spot up shooters, iso post up players) on what has been ridiculed as a one-dimensional offensive system (chuck threes) just bolted. 

IF WOJO CAN RECRUIT ATHLETIC BALL HANDLERS/SLASHERS to fill their spots, this could be totally transformative for how MU plays.  It totally hinges on Wojo's ability to recruit now.

This is what I'm hoping for.  As far as the Hausers go, I enjoyed watching them play for the most part, although I was amazed that Joey had zero explosiveness around the basket, was puzzled by how turnover prone they could both be in key situations, and of course loved watching them hit big shots.  Couldn't care less about them now that they've made this decision.

Thank You for stating so succinctly what I am feeling!

The meat-Summiteers are all very entertaining, super-intelligent people who speak in a clear, colorful manner that I actually feel is sorely lacking in today’s PC world. That said, they seem to want to have their cake and eat it too.

I would give everything I have to spend just one week attending MU during the AL years. When I got to campus, the last place I would ever expect to be loaded with amazing 70s era Marquette memorabilia was Rocky Rococo’s pizza chain, but there were about 30 giant size studio quality pics of legend like Bo Ellis, Butch Lee, Bernard Toone, Maurice Lucas, Jim Chones, Dean the Dream, Doc, and of course Coaches Al, Rick, and Hank. I was hooked immediately on all things Marquette. If the Summiteers feel we will never replicate that halcyon era, I understand. I can only marvel at the stories these guys lived.

But this is 2019, and a young guy from a legendary program is trying his best to get us back to the summit. He is doing it in an environment where every kid is a diva, ready to bolt at the first hint of adversity. If the “winner” Hauser bros couldn’t work through their concerns with their professional coaching staff and teammates, then I’m not sorry to see them go. If Al McGuire told a kid today that he’s “not all that” , as he did many times back in the day, he would be gone in an instant. Apparently, Wojo channeled AL and didn’t cow-tow to a Wisconsin family, and now the ‘70s summiteers are ironically crying foul.