Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: nova totally screwed by the refs.  (Read 3095 times)

79Warrior

• All American
nova totally screwed by the refs.
« on: February 11, 2008, 08:19:21 PM »

what a totally bogus call to end the game.

Sweenz

• Scholarship Player
Re: nova totally screwed by the refs.
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 08:22:38 PM »
Big East officials just can't make that call...

Jay Wright could be heard after the game, "You want to crown Georgetown, crown em! They are who we thought they were!" and stormed away after...

77fan88warrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 08:30:57 PM »
That's the second game Georgetown stole. The West Virginia game had a missed goaltending call by Ewing at the end. It was a really tough call to make but still could have been called.

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 08:33:26 PM »

what a totally bogus call to end the game.

that was horrible....good to hear Sean McDonough calling it out...."that was awful"....I think that's the best announcing crew in basketball...

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 08:40:39 PM »
That's the second game Georgetown stole. The West Virginia game had a missed goaltending call by Ewing at the end. It was a really tough call to make but still could have been called.

Don't forget the Roy Hibbert 3 they needed with 2 seconds left to beat UConn earlier this season. GTown could very well be 8-4. Just takes the right bounces in these tight games.

MUFanInGreenBay

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 09:22:41 PM »
Gtown is just not Top 10 material. Louisville and UCONN are the only teams in the BE I would consider Top 10 worthy. Gtown should be ranked somewhere between 15-25. Closer to 25 though.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 10:21:26 PM »
Gtown is just not Top 10 material. Louisville and UCONN are the only teams in the BE I would consider Top 10 worthy. Gtown should be ranked somewhere between 15-25. Closer to 25 though.
Why should they be ranked that?  They are 19-3 and 9-2 in the toughest conference in basketball.  Their only losses come to all ranked teams.  The West Virginia call could have gone either way, it looked to be just at it's very peak, so it's a judgement call by the refs.  Refs usually will go with not making a call that decides the game over making the call that decides the game.  Tonight they made the call...but the game was tied.  In overtime, anything can happen, so it's not like they were GARUNTEED to lose the game without that call...more likely that they would have won.  So because they beat UConn on a last second three means they don't deserve it?  That's part of the game...plus it was at UConn, so they're a better team than UConn.  19-3 and 9-2 in the Big East, losses all to top 25 teams, is definitely a top 10 team...no matter how many close games they have won.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 10:44:37 PM »
I actually think the WV call was bang bang and could have gone either way also...but this call, just horrible!

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 11:07:25 PM »
After seeing this I don't think I can complain about a call again.  WOW was that bad  Huge props to Bilas and Raferty absolutely hammering the trio of refs. 

I feel like Jay Wright should have went off on the refs to the point of two technicals.  I mean the game is lost with 0.1 left on the clock.  I guess there is always the chance of Georgetown missing both free throws.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2008, 11:15:56 PM »
Just an unbelievable call. I'd like to see the BE or whoever evaluates the officials come out publicly on this call.

There is absolutely no way that ref shouldn't be reprimanded.

Boognish_MU

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2008, 11:17:19 PM »
I love the quote from Rivers about Nova's last posession...

"I felt like I really had to foul him for the refs to call it at the end," Rivers said. "The refs always let you play when the time's running down. I wasn't going to foul him anyway."
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 11:18:53 PM by Boognish_MU »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2008, 11:58:26 PM »
I actually think the WV call was bang bang and could have gone either way also...but this call, just horrible!
I agree.  I didn't mean to seem as though I agree with the foul call tonight...it definitely was a bogus call, especially 85 feet from the basket, with the player not even attempting to get a shot off with 0.1 seconds left...you can't make that call.  I'm just saying if it's not called it goes into overtime...'nova doesn't automatically win that game and Georgetown's now 19-3 and 9-2 in the BE...that's a top 10 team, regardless of how many close games they've played.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MUFanInGreenBay

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2008, 01:22:46 AM »
Why should they be ranked that?  They are 19-3 and 9-2 in the toughest conference in basketball.  Their only losses come to all ranked teams.  The West Virginia call could have gone either way, it looked to be just at it's very peak, so it's a judgement call by the refs.  Refs usually will go with not making a call that decides the game over making the call that decides the game.  Tonight they made the call...but the game was tied.  In overtime, anything can happen, so it's not like they were GARUNTEED to lose the game without that call...more likely that they would have won.  So because they beat UConn on a last second three means they don't deserve it?  That's part of the game...plus it was at UConn, so they're a better team than UConn.  19-3 and 9-2 in the Big East, losses all to top 25 teams, is definitely a top 10 team...no matter how many close games they have won.

Well, first of all Gtown's last second win over UCONN was AT Gtown. And what does it matter that they haven't lost to an unranked team. They've been very lucky to say the least in a few of their conference games with some late calls going their way. They could very well have at least 4 or 5 conference losses. MU hasn't lost to an unranked team either and do you think we're Top 10 material? Gtown gotten blown out at Memphis(yes Memphis is the #1 team in the land, but Gtown still looked severely overmatched), they lost by 10 points to a banged up Pitt team on the road, and overall they just haven't looked very impressive at all in any of their games except versus ND at home. Plus, on top of it all they haven't beaten anybody of significance away from home outside of WVU. And that WVU win is not much better than our win at Cincy. So actually our tournament resume looks every bit as good as their's right now if you take a closer look at both teams. Gtown is not Top 10 material and I guarantee we beat them in Milwaukee.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2008, 01:27:56 AM »

Well, first of all Gtown's last second win over UCONN was AT Gtown. And what does it matter that they haven't lost to an unranked team. They've been very lucky to say the least in a few of their conference games with some late calls going their way. They could very well have at least 4 or 5 conference losses. MU hasn't lost to an unranked team either and do you think we're Top 10 material? Gtown gotten blown out at Memphis(yes Memphis is the #1 team in the land, but Gtown still looked severely overmatched), they lost by 10 points to a banged up Pitt team on the road, and overall they just haven't looked very impressive at all in any of their games except versus ND at home. Plus, on top of it all they haven't beaten anybody of significance away from home outside of WVU. And that WVU win is not much better than our win at Cincy. So actually our tournament resume looks every bit as good as their's right now if you take a closer look at both teams. Gtown is not Top 10 material and I guarantee we beat them in Milwaukee.

To clear things up, Marquette lost to West Virginia, last I checked, they aren't ranked.... also Marquette has lost 6 games, 4 by double digits.... Georgetown is a top 10 team... our resume has 2 good wins, @Wisc and ND...  Georgetown has wins against UCONN, ND, Cuse, @WVU(ring a bell?),

our resumes aren't nearly the same

do I think we beat them in Milwaukee, I think we have a shot, but we have to play like we did against Duke(although we lost) to have a chance.  (Personally I think the game against Duke was the best we have played all year, I didn't get to watch our game against ND in the BC).

But yes, Nova got screwed, not as bad as Rutgers women however!!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 01:29:40 AM by Mayor McCheese »
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

MUFanInGreenBay

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2008, 02:48:20 AM »

To clear things up, Marquette lost to West Virginia, last I checked, they aren't ranked.... also Marquette has lost 6 games, 4 by double digits.... Georgetown is a top 10 team... our resume has 2 good wins, @Wisc and ND...  Georgetown has wins against UCONN, ND, Cuse, @WVU(ring a bell?),

our resumes aren't nearly the same

do I think we beat them in Milwaukee, I think we have a shot, but we have to play like we did against Duke(although we lost) to have a chance.  (Personally I think the game against Duke was the best we have played all year, I didn't get to watch our game against ND in the BC).

But yes, Nova got screwed, not as bad as Rutgers women however!!

Well, MU's win at UW is every bit as good as Gtown's win over UCONN. Both teams beat ND on their home courts. Gtown beat 'Cuse and WVU. Meanwhile, MU did win at Cincy which I would put on par with Gtown's win over Syracuse. Don't forget Cincy did beat Pitt, Villanova, Syracuse, and Louisville prior to playing MU. Cincy also came very close to beating UCONN. So basically Gtown has one more quality win on their resume than us - their win at WVU. I just don't see how the two resumes of both teams aren't close to the same. They have just ONE more quality win than us pal. I've watched Gtown this year a lot of times and I'm telling you they're not impressive. They're getting a lot of bounces to go their way in the form of very generous calls from the zebras at the end of games. They could easily be in 4th or 5th place right now. Heck, go click on that other thread that links to that Big East podcast. Even the guys on their talk about how Gtown has been unimpressive and isn't nearly as good as their ranking. We'll beat Gtown and I think Gtown will have an early exit in March as well.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 02:55:43 AM by MUFanInGreenBay »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2008, 03:08:21 PM »
DePaul 71 at Marquette 79; Georgetown 76 at DePaul 60
Marquette 73 at Connecticut 89; Connecticut 69 at Georgetown 72
Notre Dame 65 at Georgetown 84; Notre Dame 66 at Marquette 92 and Marquette 83 at Notre Dame 86
Georgetown 58 at West Virginia 57; Marquette 64 at West Virginia 79
Seton Hall 61 at Georgetown 73; Seton Hall 56 at Marquette 61
South Florida 53 at Georgetown 63; South Florida 54 at Marquette 62
Georgetown 51 at Louisville 59; Marquette 51 at Louisville 71 and Louisville 71 at Marquette 57
Those are the common opponents we have had with results and where the game was.
Records: Georgetown 20-3 (10-2 BE); Marquette 16-6 (6-5 BE)
Big East Rank: Georgetown 1; Marquette 6 (tied with 2 other teams)
RPI Ranking: Georgetown 7; Marquette: 29
AP Ranking: Georgetown 8; Marquette 26
Record vs. teams in RPI Top 50: Georgetown 4-3; Marquette 2-6
Road/Neutral Record: Georgetown 7-3; Marquette 3-5
Record in the last 10 games: Georgetown 8-2; Marquette 5-5
Neither team has lost to team outside of the top 50 in the RPI so that'd be pointless to point out.

Hate to break it to you, but our tournament resume is not nearly as good as Georgetown's tournament resume.  I wish it was, but it's not.  That is all the stuff that the NCAA Selection Committee will look at, and we have nothing on their resume.  They aren't playing like a top 10 team at the moment, but they deserve their ranking because although they are winning close, they are still winning, and are 20-3 and 9-2 in the Big East.  They COULD have 4 or 5 more losses, but they DON'T.

http://www.kenpom.com/rpi.php

That's where I got my numbers from, and I compared the schedules by going to espn.com and bringing up each team's schedule.  If you can provide some numbers for me that show that we have as good of a resume as Georgetown I would love to see it, because then we'd deserve no worse than a 2 seed in the NCAA Tournament, instead of the 7 seed that we currently deserve.

And no, I'm not saying we won't win when they come to Milwaukee.  Just proving that our resume is nowhere near as good as Georgetown's.

Eye

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2008, 03:19:50 PM »
Just an unbelievable call. I'd like to see the BE or whoever evaluates the officials come out publicly on this call.

There is absolutely no way that ref shouldn't be reprimanded.

Tranghese, who I think is a pretty straight-up guy (which is about the exact opposite of Slive from MU's time in C-USA), was just on with Mike and the Mad Dog in New York for about 25 minutes. Said he'd have liked the game to go to overtime, but that the official, because he was the underneath official, had no way to know exactly how much time was left on the clock. Also said that if Wallace wouldn't have stepped out of bounds, which in essence forced a call of some sort, the play would have likely been ruled a "play-on" and the game would have gone to overtime. I didn't see the game live, but the jive I got from him was that it was in a way kind of a bad mesh of circumstances. The only way a call is made there is if the underneath official has to make the call and the player steps on the sideline, which both happened on the play. My take from Tranghese: mathematically, there's at least an 8 in 10 chance that a no-call, play-on is the normal ruling. In this case, he kind of had to give the official a pass because of circumstances of it being the underneath official and Wallace stepping on the sideline.
GO WARRIORS!

tonyreeder

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2008, 03:37:58 PM »
I like Georgetown in March . They really miss Jeff Green and I think Big East teams are starting to figure out how to defend them.  Louisville pressured the ball and made them start their offense much further out than what they were comfortable with.  G'Town has multiple possessions in a row where they were jacking up threes late in the shot clock.  Come March, teams won't be as familiar with the style and I think Georgetown will carve teams up.   I want to see a UConn-GTown game in the BE Tourney.  I missed the first game and Thabeet is becoming a monster.  A Thabeet-Hibbert matchup in the Garden for the BE title would be pretty kick butt. (I'd prefer the Warriors but this would be my next choice)

marquette09

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2008, 03:38:52 PM »
I know their wasn't much contact, however my question is: why is the villanova player making contact with a guy 85 FT away from the basket with less that 1 second left in the game?  If the villanova player never makes contact then the official is never even put in the position to make that call.

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2008, 03:59:01 PM »
The villanova player had no idea how much time was on the clock either.  So he ran alongside the gtown player who wasn't going to get a shot off.  I seriously doubt Jay Wright says anything critical at all the player who was whistled.  He didn't do anything wrong.
After the game, I couldn't help but wonder if JT goes nuts if the ref, after calling the foul and then realizing the circumstances, waives it off.  Everyone watching the game realizes that Nova got screwed - I doubt gtown even felt good after getting the w that way.  It was so anticlimactic that it made it seemed as though the outcome of the game wasn't even that important.
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

feedback