Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Which of the jerseys below do you like the best?

44 - Don Kojis
6 (7.9%)
22 - Jim Chones
16 (21.1%)
43 - Earl Tatum
15 (19.7%)
24 - George Thompson
9 (11.8%)
20 - Maurice Lucas
22 (28.9%)
34 - Jim McIlvaine
8 (10.5%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Author Topic: Photos of Past Marquette Jerseys  (Read 15702 times)

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Photos of Past Marquette Jerseys
« on: February 08, 2008, 09:12:49 PM »
Hey guys!  I've been sick for the past week so sorry about not getting any Louisville video highlights up.  Were there any?  I was at the annex today and thought you may enjoy some pictures of the old Marquette jerseys since I've seen two or three threads on the topic of jerseys in the last week.  Enjoy!

« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 09:18:32 PM by TallTitan34 »

4everwarriors

• All American
So Unique
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 09:50:18 PM »
The Jim Chones bumblebee is the best. Al busted these out for the trip to NY in the 1970 NIT. They were even better in person. By the way, FYI there was no home version of this uni. The Warriors wore the depicted #24 George Thompson uniform when playing in the Arena.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 09:53:27 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
Re: Photos of Past Marquette Jerseys
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 09:58:14 PM »
I voted for the bumblebee with the Earl Tatum a close second. 

I don't know how well a home version of the bumblebee would have looked with white and gold.  I'm glad they stuck to the George Thompson style jersey at the Arena.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 07:19:15 AM »
The bumblebees are awesome and I wish MU would do a retro of them.   They were distinct and were recognized by fans from all over.  Marquette, UH? They got cool uniforms.  The bumblebees would be a huge hit and I also wish Mitchell and Ness would sell replicas.

But, I recall reading something some years ago that the jersey style (horizontal stripes) was no longer allowed by the NCAA.  Am I right? 

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 09:51:35 AM »
Yes, they outlawed the bumblebee-type styes almost immediately.  The bumblebees were the absolutely coolest sports uniforms i've ever seen.  With the full court press that Al used, the team looked like it was literally flying above the court..!

MilTown

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 10:08:39 AM »
I voted for the Jimmy Mac. No bells and whistles, a working mans jersey. They need to get a DWade jersey in there too. That was a great jersey, classic and bold. Similar to the Jimmy Mac. Same font I believe. 

I think the new jerseys could have been up there as classics, but not with font they used for Marquette. They should have gone with more of a retro font. The current one looks out of place on the jersey.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 11:29:41 PM »
All of these jerseys have a tag at the bottom for a company called Sand Knit. 

It would be nice if they mass produced these!  Do you realize how many bumblebees would sell!

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 11:33:14 PM »
Looks like Sand Knit is out of business.  I found this tidbit online.

Sand-Knit (MacGregor) – This supplier outfitted many of the NBA and NFL teams before Adidas, Reebok and Nike could muscle their way into the fray. Most of these jerseys were manufactured in the mid-late 70s through the 80s. Neat stuff but very hard to find in good condition.

romey

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2008, 11:45:41 PM »
Okay, someone help me out here, but when Al retired, didn't he have some kind of stake in Sand Knit or was it Medalist???

sailwi

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 07:50:58 AM »
Al was a VP at Medalist for a short time after his retirement, he had worked with them in the off season prior to his retirement.

MUCrew

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 09:07:10 AM »
This is a great post.  Someone should definitely get on the ball of reproducing one of these jerseys.  Well done, Titan.

ForstK

• Walk-On
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2008, 10:32:31 AM »
Was at a roadgame at the DePaul gym in the 70's and was impressed by the team's bumblebee unis but also by the similar attire of the cheerleaders and of a goodly portion of the students/MU fans wearing bumblebee tops. DePaul had no home floor advantage that night.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2008, 11:04:47 AM »
Speaking of the cheerleaders, they should get new Converse unis to match the players.  What's the deal?
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2008, 11:50:08 AM »
Again, I am in the minority, but that bumblebee uniform is the ugliest basketball uniform I have ever seen, even uglier than the powder blue monstrosity we wore at Louisville.  The McIlvaine one is about as boring as it gets.  The others are OK, but I think the Tatum 43 jersey is the best of the group shown.  Interesting without being garish.  The national championship unis are the best ever, if you ask me.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2008, 01:47:15 PM »
no question, the bumblebees are the best- I seem to recall that it was 'digger' phelps that complained to the ncaa and got them banned.

Al was vice-chairman of Medalist Ind.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2008, 01:56:46 PM »
A little history:

The Sand-Knit Manufacturing Company was started by John Sand in 1921 in Chicago, IL and was there until 1953 when the company moved to Berlin, WI. Sand-Knit built a reputation as a quality sports uniform manufactuer and made uni's for many Pro, Collegiate, and High School teams. Medalist bought the company in 1960 and Sand-knit operated as a division of Medalist until 1984. That's when MacGregor Sporting Goods bought the company. In 1990 the company filed for bankruptcy, thus ending the Sand-Knit label in professional sports.  In 1992 the Ripon Athletic Company acquired the old Sand-Knit factory. Again, like in the past, this factory makes many sport uniforms for various teams.

The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.