[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by lawdog77
[May 07, 2024, 05:44:34 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[May 07, 2024, 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: We saw it again...no foul up three  (Read 4078 times)

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
We saw it again...no foul up three
« on: January 07, 2010, 07:46:48 AM »
Was I the only person screaming to foul G-town in the final few seconds as we were up three?

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
Re: We saw it again...no foul up three
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 07:51:23 AM »
Was I the only person screaming to foul G-town in the final few seconds as we were up three?

Last time we did that it went to OT.
But I like to throw handfuls...

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 07:54:36 AM »

No I don't like that.  Too many things can go wrong.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 08:05:28 AM »

You were not.   Georgetown did what the previous 8 of 9 teams didn't do: miss at the end.  Personally, I feel that was just luck on our part.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 08:17:23 AM »
Based on the previous 2 games I'd prefer to not get into a FT contest with any team.

The Man in Gold

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 08:25:21 AM »
GU is very tall, and we are not.  How much faith do you really have in our team getting the critical rebound vs. forcing the team to take a very tough shot from outside?  On most teams I would agree that fouling is the right play, but given how Georgetown could load up the lane for a final offensive rebound, I have no problem with Buzz playing it straight up.
Captain, We need more sweatervests!  TheManInGold has been blinded by the light (off the technicolor sweatervest)

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 08:29:23 AM »
 I hate discussing when Acker and Cubillan are both in at the same time but coming out of that timeout and seeing them both out on the floor for more ballhandlers was good....but when playing defense on Georgetown when they were down by 2 I was nervous that Freeman would just drive to the basket because he did it successfully and made it look easy several times throughout the game.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

TJ

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 08:36:06 AM »
I know I wasn't.  I think that only media commentators and fans scream for that play.  I don't think coaches actually do it all that often.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 08:37:56 AM »
Against a much taller G-town, I understand it. I just had visions of DJ not fouling the guy on the floor, and instead when he was in the act of shooting. I don't have a major problem with our strategy, but in most cases, I prefer fouling the guy.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 08:38:29 AM »
  I don't think coaches actually do it all that often.

I know Calipari doesn't.  Of course he would now have vacated an NCAA championship instead of just an appearance...
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

DaCoach

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 11:12:42 AM »
Up by 3. GT with no TOs remaining. 7.5 seconds on the clock and they have to go full court. GT a taller team. No way do I stop the clock and give them an opportunity to grab a missed 2nd FT and get fouled in the melee and beat us in an unthinkable fashion. If they make a very difficult shot, we're still tied and playing at home.
Players win awards but teams win championships

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2010, 03:42:06 PM »
Up by 3. GT with no TOs remaining. 7.5 seconds on the clock and they have to go full court. GT a taller team. No way do I stop the clock and give them an opportunity to grab a missed 2nd FT and get fouled in the melee and beat us in an unthinkable fashion. If they make a very difficult shot, we're still tied and playing at home.

+1.  Same rules that apply in baseball apply here.. on the road, you play for the win; at home, you play for the tie.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

slingkong

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2010, 04:11:26 PM »
Always play for the win.  Winners win or die trying.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2010, 05:07:21 PM »
Also, you risk an intentional foul being called or a bone head call that the shooter was in the act of shooting (from 3 point range).  The intentional foul call, because of a bad foul decision by a player, would be a killer.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2010, 05:16:18 PM »
I know I wasn't.  I think that only media commentators and fans scream for that play.  I don't think coaches actually do it all that often.

Almost all NBA coaches do it, whether its the end of the game, half, or even quarter.  Not sure, why college teams don't do it as much.  Possibly due to the fact that college shooters aren't nearly as good and offensive rebounds seem to be much scarcer in the NBA.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2010, 05:20:48 PM »
Almost all NBA coaches do it, whether its the end of the game, half, or even quarter.   Not sure, why college teams don't do it as much.  Possibly due to the fact that college shooters aren't nearly as good and offensive rebounds seem to be much scarcer in the NBA.

Because a light tap on the hand or body scrape will be called in the NBA.

If it appears you're going to foul, they'll call it in the NBA.

In the NCAA, they let the boys play.
SS Marquette

SCdem@MU

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2010, 05:23:56 PM »

I was okay with not fouling, but I think we would have gotten our ass handed to us in OT. Zar had 4 fouls and he was somewhat lucky he didn't foul out at the end as it was.

No way we beat G-town in OT without Zar.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2010, 05:24:23 PM »
Almost all NBA coaches do it, whether its the end of the game, half, or even quarter.  Not sure, why college teams don't do it as much.  Possibly due to the fact that college shooters aren't nearly as good and offensive rebounds seem to be much scarcer in the NBA.

I don't think you're following the conversation....or I'm missing something if you think this is an option at the end of a half or quarter.

That said...the only way to lose is if you foul.  I'm against it, but I understand the argument.  I remember hearing a coach talk about it statistically, and stating that the outcomes of the different choices were very similar percentage wise.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 05:26:08 PM by avid1010 »

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2010, 03:30:11 PM »
I don't think you're following the conversation....or I'm missing something if you think this is an option at the end of a half or quarter.

That said...the only way to lose is if you foul.  I'm against it, but I understand the argument.  I remember hearing a coach talk about it statistically, and stating that the outcomes of the different choices were very similar percentage wise.

I'm following the conversation but not following your post.

I was only referring to doing it at the end of half or quarter (NBA only) when you have fouls so that you can decrease the likelihood of more points being scored (decreasing the time to get off a good shot by making them inbound again).  It's pretty much the same idea at the end of the game--foul so that you decrease the likelihood of them hitting the 3 to tie.

Sorry if I wasn't clear there.

I'm not sure what the best play is when you're down by 3, I would agree that the % are probably pretty close.  Of course, if you're dumb enough to foul the guy on a made 3 (like when larry johnson was fouled to send the NYK to the finals) and I'm sure MU has bad enough luck that this could happen to them.

feedback