collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Poll

Should the NFL cancel this Fall's season?

Yes
7 (14.9%)
No
20 (42.6%)
Not Sure
20 (42.6%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Author Topic: Should the NFL cancel this Fall's season?  (Read 2405 times)

muwarrior69

• All American
Should the NFL cancel this Fall's season?
« on: April 14, 2020, 11:40:57 AM »
I voted yes.

tower912

• All American
Re: Should the NFL cancel this Fall's season?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 11:42:07 AM »
Lots of time.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 11:58:41 AM »
Cancel a season 5 months away?  Many other leagues have played games without spectators.  NFL's financial windfall is from TV broadcast rights anyways.

One of my favorite sayings from a mentor is "dont make long term decisions based on near term problems".  NFL cancelling now, or even in May/June would be just that.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2020, 12:43:53 PM »
No.

No reason to do that before July. Let's see where we're at in a few months.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2020, 12:46:47 PM »
Not only that, but you can delay the season as well.  Someone tweeted today that college football is making contingency plans for a February through May season.  The NFL could do something similar by going down to 12-14 games and holding the Super Bowl in March.

MLB could run later into the Fall if they do the Arizona / Florida thing.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2020, 01:02:38 PM »
Leagues can and will kick the can down the road as far as possible. We just don't have large enough track record to know how this plays out.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2020, 01:44:02 PM »
The NFL isn't going to cancel this season, in fact, the opposite is going to potentially be true. If college football moves to spring 2021, the NFL is going to act like a drunk sailor for the 2020 season.

You'll see NFL football almost every day of the week.

Thursday 7:30 pm
Friday 7:30 pm
Saturday single games at Noon, 3:30, 7:30 pm
Sunday traditional slots at Noon, 3:05/3:30, 7:30 pm
Monday Night Football

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2020, 01:54:19 PM »
Why would they cancel the season in mid-April?

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2020, 02:25:54 PM »
Yes, absolutely, and the following draft should be exactly the same.   ;D

Signed,
A Dolphin fan

Oh, you meant because of the virus. That's different.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2020, 02:36:10 PM »
It may not be the league's call. Governor Murphy just might not let them(Jets/Giants) play at Met Life Stadium. Will Whitmer let the Lions play in Detroit. Will the players want to play or stay at Hotels in cities that were Covid hotspots. Many public health experts expect a second wave in Fall/Winter 2020/2021. I cannot fathom watching a game played in an empty stadium.

I know I picked 3 of the worst teams in the league so who cares.

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2020, 02:37:40 PM »
Of course they can play in front of empty stadiums.  It would suck but if the NFL is going to get their TV revenue, its better than no revenue.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 02:39:59 PM by Fluffy Blue Monster »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2020, 02:52:30 PM »
The NFL is far better adjusted to play it's full season than any other pro or college league. Mostly because of the limited inventory of games.

Also, if the NFL goes to a Thursday - Monday schedule, and if there's no fans allowed, the NFL conceivably could regonalize its operations. As an example, to limit exposure to operations/media, you could see midwest teams all play their home games in Minneapolis or Indianapolis. The NFL could keep officials, operations, media in those cities for the duration of the season. You could have Packers/Bears from Indy on a Thursday night, Bengals/Browns on Friday night, Colts/Chiefs Saturday night, and then Lions/Vikings on Sunday, all from Lucas Oil. If there's no fans, it really doesn't matter where the NFL plays games.

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2020, 02:54:17 PM »
The NFL is far better adjusted to play it's full season than any other pro or college league. Mostly because of the limited inventory of games.

Also, if the NFL goes to a Thursday - Monday schedule, and if there's no fans allowed, the NFL conceivably could regonalize its operations. As an example, to limit exposure to operations/media, you could see midwest teams all play their home games in Minneapolis or Indianapolis. The NFL could keep officials, operations, media in those cities for the duration of the season. You could have Packers/Bears from Indy on a Thursday night, Bengals/Browns on Friday night, Colts/Chiefs Saturday night, and then Lions/Vikings on Sunday, all from Lucas Oil. If there's no fans, it really doesn't matter where the NFL plays games.

Playing in indoor stadiums also gives them the flexibility of playing later into the winter.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2020, 03:58:31 PM »
It may not be the league's call. Governor Murphy just might not let them(Jets/Giants) play at Met Life Stadium. Will Whitmer let the Lions play in Detroit. Will the players want to play or stay at Hotels in cities that were Covid hotspots. Many public health experts expect a second wave in Fall/Winter 2020/2021. I cannot fathom watching a game played in an empty stadium.

I know I picked 3 of the worst teams in the league so who cares.

Not reasoning that will go into factor here in the least.  And also not a big deal.  Zoomed in you cant see stands anyway.  Watching the "essential personnel only" basketball games wasn't that weird.  One farther out shots, just CGI in fans and pipe in crowd noise.  The viewing experience will be just fine.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2020, 05:52:26 PM »
Count on the NFL starting on time. It’s the NFL, forgodssake. It’s bigger than life itself.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2020, 05:55:45 PM »
Count on the NFL starting on time. It’s the NFL, forgodssake. It’s bigger than life itself.

Well, we know Trump’s been spot on this entire time. And he said fans in stadium and on time start for the NFL. So I’m feeling very good that’ll be the case.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2020, 07:11:31 PM »
The NFL isn't going to cancel this season, in fact, the opposite is going to potentially be true. If college football moves to spring 2021, the NFL is going to act like a drunk sailor for the 2020 season.

Monday Night Football

If they do that, can they also arrange to not have the "night/primetime" games ending at midnight EST?

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2020, 07:50:27 PM »
If they do that, can they also arrange to not have the "night/primetime" games ending at midnight EST?

I'm OK with the Thursday matinee game to watch while I'm 'working'

• All American

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2020, 09:05:36 PM »
The headlines just write themselves.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/04/14/kirk-cousins-games-without-fans-would-kind-of-be-refreshing/

The Vikings piping in fake crowd noise is going to be a bit more obvious this year.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2020, 02:20:11 PM »

Monday Night Football

I've always thought they should do that anyway.  Maybe even stagger games more so you can watch more endings.  They could even have some games on Tues & Wed nights instead of bye weeks.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2020, 04:24:15 PM »
I've always thought they should do that anyway.  Maybe even stagger games more so you can watch more endings.  They could even have some games on Tues & Wed nights instead of bye weeks.

I don't believe the CBA allows them to play on Tuesday's unless there is an Act of God event (like when the Metrodome roof collapsed).

They need two days off each week league wide to allow rosters to be filled out, I believe there has to be uniformity there to not provide a competitive disadvantage. I may be mistaken, but I don't believe they can play on Tuesday/Wednesday.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2020, 05:46:36 PM »
No. The country wont be locked down for that long. And if it is, we have way bigger fish to fry then if the nfl will play or not.

feedback