Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Xavier  (Read 8073 times)

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
Xavier
« on: November 25, 2009, 05:59:19 AM »
Can anyone find a link to a preseason scouting report on this team?

Just looking at their stats on yahoo:  http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/teams/xaa/stats

--They start 3 guards and 2 forwards. 

-- Jordan Crawford (a guard who transfered from Indiana) has been having a great season so far(granted it has been against cupcakes).  He has 21 ppg average in 26 mpg for the first 3 games. 

-- Jason Love (their 6-9, 255lb forward) has almost 12 rebounds and 13 ppg in 23 mpg.

The seem to be a guard oriented team who can push the ball and hit the perimiter shot.  However, they have some beef upfront in Love, McLean, and Frease. 

I don't think we match up well with their guards or their bigs (since we don't have any).  However, If Zar and Butler can stretch the defense without getting into foul trouble themselves, Xavier may have some problems with those two. 

Tough but interesting matchup.  I'd say Xavier wins by 9.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
Re: Xavier
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 07:37:56 AM »
We've reached the point in the season (playing real competition)where our PG situation in particular will start to become a problem. We're gonna get whupped.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 07:48:19 AM »
I am hoping that (A) we don't get rolled and (B) nobody else gets hurt.    If we are competitive and injury free, I will take it. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 08:21:02 AM »
As long as we aren't getting killed, it should be a fun game to watch. X always plays an exciting style of ball and is quick and aggressive. Even with a new coach, I would expect more of the same. That is a phenomenal program given the size of the school, which I believe is only a few thousand. Yes, their conf isn't the best, but they've earned their respect in March.

I think X relies on several young guys like we do, but I think they probably have a bit more overall talent at this stage. Looking forward to it.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 08:21:40 AM »
We've reached the point in the season (playing real competition)where our PG situation in particular will start to become a problem. We're gonna get whupped.

I guess we've have reached the point where you'll be proven either right or wrong.  I still content the the only PG "situation" we have is that we have at least 3, but basically 4 guys (with Buycks) that can protect the ball, dribble, shoot, and pass.

If we lose on Wed, and it's because of poor play from Acker, Cubes, DJO, and Buycks, I'll make sure to acknowledge your pessimism toward the quatro specifically.

But  think you're wrong :)

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 09:01:00 AM »
Just because I was curious, I checked the box scores and saw that the combo of Cubillan and Acker have averaged:

5.75 Rebounds
8.25 Assists
2.75 Turnovers  (that's 3:1)
18.5 Points

I know, I know, weak schedule, not Big East, etc.  I was just curious about these numbers and I thought I'd share them.

Edited to add:  Before someone else points it out, I also should add that these combined numbers are coming in a combined 48.75 minutes per game.  Yes, I know that 48.75 is more than 40.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 09:08:03 AM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 09:01:52 AM »

But  think you're wrong :)

I would love to be wrong, but I will be surprised if most don't agree with me  a few games into the BE season.

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2009, 09:13:02 AM »
Just because I was curious, I checked the box scores and saw that the combo of Cubillan and Acker have averaged:

5.75 Rebounds
8.25 Assists
2.75 Turnovers  (that's 3:1)
18.5 Points

I know, I know, weak schedule, not Big East, etc.  I was just curious about these numbers and I thought I'd share them.

Edited to add:  Before someone else points it out, I also should add that these combined numbers are coming in a combined 48.75 minutes per game.  Yes, I know that 48.75 is more than 40.

If those two can put up those numbers on a per minute basis against good competition, I'm there with you.  I have a feeling they won't and DJO and Buycks will start to see more and more minutes and Cubes and Ack will see fewer and fewer.  At least I am hoping. 

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2009, 09:50:23 AM »
While I believe that this year will be a learning year with all of the younger players that we have I don't believe that we will be beaten up badly in as many games as many others think. That being said, we haven't played any teams in which we can truly measure our team and Xavier will be a measuring stick of sorts.

In the case that I am wrong I hope that the younger players that are not used to losing will learn quickly from the losses (especially in conference play). Regardless I will actually have time to watch the entire game tomorrow which will prove give me a better look see.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2009, 09:57:52 AM »
I would love to be wrong, but I will be surprised if most don't agree with me  a few games into the BE season.

a few games into the Big East Season we're more than likely to be 0-4 given the brutal opening 4 games of conference play.  Pretty easy to predict we'll all be disappointed, don't you think?  Wanna make a bolder prediction, like maybe the sun is going to come up tomorrow morning?

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2009, 10:23:16 AM »
a few games into the Big East Season we're more than likely to be 0-4 given the brutal opening 4 games of conference play.  Pretty easy to predict we'll all be disappointed, don't you think?  Wanna make a bolder prediction, like maybe the sun is going to come up tomorrow morning?

Good point.  Those 4 games aren't really a good measuring stick for a young team.  Unless you win all of them, in which case it's a GREAT measuring stick :)

I'm hoping we win 2 of the 4.  Expect to win 1 of the 4.  And wouldn't be too surprised to lose all 4.

Unfortunately, I'm a homer and will still be disappointed after every loss, even if it doesn't surprise me.

jtsanto

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2009, 11:01:19 AM »
Here is the thing..we all have to relax about this team. I think that there is a chance to beat X but then get rolled by Michigan. I think that we have to see how a couple of the Juco's pan out during real games. I still see this team as a possible NIT team, but it will be tough. Let's all take a deep breath and enjoy watching Buzz turn this program back into a winner

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2009, 11:35:46 AM »

Hey...Great job. How's this? 18 games into the BE season most will agree that PG was a huge problem for Marquette this year. Any other questions?

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2009, 01:25:03 PM »
I mean, I just hope that MU shows up.  This game is so scary that I wouldn't be surprised if MU just doesn't forfeit the game.  Wow, Xavier, how can we even be in the same gym as them. 

Cmon are you guys for real?  I hope you can avoid soiling yourselves out of fear when we play Nova, Cuse, Ville, ETC.  This is ridiculous.

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2009, 01:34:17 PM »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2009, 01:40:53 PM »
Buckchuckler, the problem is that nobody knows exactly what we have yet.   We have dominated some really bad teams.    This is MU's first real test, after which we will have a clearer idea of where the team is.    So, I repeat, I hope we don't get rolled and I hope nobody gets hurt.    If we can be competitive against a good team on a neutral floor, everyone will breathe a bit easier.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2009, 01:47:44 PM »
Buckchuckler, the problem is that nobody knows exactly what we have yet.   We have dominated some really bad teams.    This is MU's first real test, after which we will have a clearer idea of where the team is.    So, I repeat, I hope we don't get rolled and I hope nobody gets hurt.    If we can be competitive against a good team on a neutral floor, everyone will breathe a bit easier.  

+1

What's with the overreactions this team is young and we should be excited to watch them grow throughout the season, expectations aren't that high this season therefore lets enjoy that for the first time in a while and hope we can upset a couple teams, we don't have anything to lose given the expectations.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2009, 01:56:21 PM »
Overreact much?

Om occasion, yes. Of course the one you pointed out didn't happen to be one of them.

XavierNation12

• Walk-On
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2009, 07:27:31 PM »
Xavier is a team that at this point in the season has relied heavily on their ability to run and get out in transition, we have yet to be tested in a half court game. We have probably one of the quickest guards I have seen in quite some time in the R-Freshman Mark Lyons. And Jordan Crawford for the beginning of the season against poor opponents has been nothing short of spectacular. Over 20 ppg, 3 apg, and 0 to's in the last 2 games.

As far as our advantage down low, you guys can knock on Frease all you'd like, but I'm kinda surprised I even had to read that some of you think he is our best big guy. Comparing him to Jason Love is laughable, and you will see Love for the majority of the game at the 5 spot. Jason is a tremendous player and if he stays out of foul trouble will have a monster game.

I'm excited for the game, and have always had a huge amount of respect for Marquette basketball. That being said, I expect around a 15 point win for Xavier, mainly because of our offensive ability.

Anything you want answered about Xavier though, I'll try my best.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2009, 07:54:29 PM »
Xavier is a team that at this point in the season has relied heavily on their ability to run and get out in transition, we have yet to be tested in a half court game. We have probably one of the quickest guards I have seen in quite some time in the R-Freshman Mark Lyons. And Jordan Crawford for the beginning of the season against poor opponents has been nothing short of spectacular. Over 20 ppg, 3 apg, and 0 to's in the last 2 games.

As far as our advantage down low, you guys can knock on Frease all you'd like, but I'm kinda surprised I even had to read that some of you think he is our best big guy. Comparing him to Jason Love is laughable, and you will see Love for the majority of the game at the 5 spot. Jason is a tremendous player and if he stays out of foul trouble will have a monster game.

I'm excited for the game, and have always had a huge amount of respect for Marquette basketball. That being said, I expect around a 15 point win for Xavier, mainly because of our offensive ability.

Anything you want answered about Xavier though, I'll try my best.

The line is 5.5, so if you're confident with 15 you could make some money. 

XavierNation12

• Walk-On
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2009, 08:07:33 PM »
The line is 5.5, so if you're confident with 15 you could make some money. 

Xavier is an extremely underrated basketball team, by everyone. The perception is that when Miller left, the team would simply fall apart. Anyone that knows or follows Xavier basketball knows there is no chance of that ever happening.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2009, 08:11:26 PM »
Xavier is a very solid team with a great inside/outside game.  We will have a tough time going up against their experience and talent.  I'm hoping that we hang tough in the game and make it a good one.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2009, 08:20:10 PM »
Hey...Great job. How's this? 18 games into the BE season most will agree that PG was a huge problem for Marquette this year. Any other questions?

What's the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

Oh ... and, can I have a raise?

mviale

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2009, 08:51:24 PM »
I predict a breakout game for Yous
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 08:55:01 PM by mviale »
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2009, 08:53:06 PM »
I predict a breakout game for Yous

Huh? Why is everyone trying to be the next MUAvenue?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2009, 09:43:50 PM »
What's the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

African or European?
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2009, 05:06:42 PM »
where is that bitch xavier nation12 now?  Mid major go home!!  43-16

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2009, 09:04:41 PM »
where is that bitch xavier nation12 now?  Mid major go home!!  43-16

+1

I'm just trying to be friendly, and I respect your program, but we're gonna win by 15.

Have fun boosting your resume against Creighton and in the A-10.

(By the way, I expected Xavier to win this game too, but there's something to be said for playing the game).
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 09:06:16 PM by ReneeRowarrior »

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2009, 09:09:29 PM »
Actually, I'll correct myself...Xavier has a pretty good non-conference schedule. Nevertheless, enjoy Creighton.