Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: JC's Second Coming  (Read 8027 times)

GOO

• All American
Re: JC's Second Coming
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2009, 11:30:52 AM »
After reading up on the injury, unless is wasn't a bad rupture and only partial.  There is no way he is coming back this year.  Even if it wasn't all that bad, he probably can't make it back this year.  Getting the boot/cast off now, is about right.  It appears that he won't be at 100% until next fall from what I've read.

As to who should make the Redshirt decision:  If Buzz thinks he should Redshirt and he won't play, Buzz should tell the player this and strongly advise against coming back.  However, I think the decision is the players to make in the end.  Who has to sign the forms - I assume the player has to sign off and it isn't a coach's decision to make.  Also, say I'm not likely to be a pro player and plan on graduating in 4 years and want to be suited up and on the team for 4 years, even if I play only a little or not at all.... that should be my decision as a player.  After all, I'm a student athlete.   It may be a bad decision if I won't play and the coach tells me so, but in the end it should be my decision.  

What if I'm a good player who will be a Senior, but the coach wants to tank a season in order to have a great team next year.  It clearly isn't the coach's decision to say I'm redshiring you this season so we can have a better team next year.  I better have the right to say no, and have the right to play.   Yes, this is different than JC, but still it should be up to the player

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2009, 12:51:55 PM »
Doubt he comes back, but it's an easy decision in January.

2 questions that need to be answered yes:
Is he fully recovered?
Will he be able to push us into the tourney?

If either answer is no, then he redshirts. Otherwise, we are all excited about a tourney run with a young class and want that experience for next year if we are that good.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2009, 12:59:02 PM »
As excited as I was when Mbakwe made it back early to play, and as much as I initially thought it was the right thing to do to reward his hard work, in hindsight I thought it was a mistake.  Junior should be red shirted this year.

Of course it was a mistake...and one that was made because ESPN was in town and somebody needed some "angle" to give the TV guys.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2009, 01:11:13 PM »
Not sure why people feel the need to decide anything right now. If January or so rolls around and the doctors say he's good to go, in my mind at that point it should be almost entirely up to the player to decide (in consultation with doctors/coaches/family). There is absolutely no reason to declare his season over today. While it would appear to be the likely outcome anyway, there is nothing to be lost by letting it just play out.

If by some chance he is able to come back and play this year, I'm not sure getting that experience doesn't end up being more valuable then the extra year on the back end. 2011, 2012, and 2013...those are shaping up to be the seasons for MU anyway. If he is able to get some experience and take some BE lumps this year, in my mind that positions MU better come next season. If they bring him back to primarily ride the bench...well, that would be a bad idea.

It is better to make a good decision (red shirt) now, so you are not tempted to make a bad decision later.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2009, 01:18:23 PM »
Just seeing Trevor, DJ against Misery and Jerel against Mich State I got to say if not at least 90%, don't play them.  The competition level we are playing against is so high, an athlete at anything less than 90% maybe a bigger hinderance to a team than help.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2009, 04:01:45 PM »
"JC's Second Coming"...

when I first read this I thought to myself: "Jesus is back?"

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2009, 04:10:28 PM »
It is better to make a good decision (red shirt) now, so you are not tempted to make a bad decision later.

Redshirts can be lifted at any time. Just because you make the decision now to do it, doesnt mean that it cant be changed come February.

This is what happened with Trevor.

OpenLook

• Walk-On
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2009, 08:20:00 PM »
FWIW -- I was at the Beyond the Boards with Buzz event held as part of the Parent Weekend Oct. 2. The whole team was there and I made a point to wish JC well, telling him that the fans were all looking forward to seeing him play in 2010. I also asked him if there was any way he would be able to get back this season. His answer was quite intertesting . . . he said he would rather have four full years playing for Buzz than three and just a part of another. I was really happy to hear he thought that much about his coach, that he wanted his four full years of actual play at MU.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2009, 08:46:41 PM »
The prognosis following Achilles tendon rupture is good with either surgical or nonsurgical treatment. However, with surgery, athletes can return to activity sooner, and the recurrence rate is less than 5%, whereas individuals following the nonsurgical approach experience a 40% re-rupture rate (Lin). With a heel support, the individual can begin some weight-bearing activity after 6 weeks. Full return to athletics generally takes 4 to 6 months (Nannini). The prognosis becomes less optimistic with successive rupture of the same tendon.

I'm assuming he went with the surgical option, right? I hope, we need him for the future more than right now
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

SCdem@MU

• Team Captain
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2009, 09:33:52 PM »
FWIW -- I was at the Beyond the Boards with Buzz event held as part of the Parent Weekend Oct. 2. The whole team was there and I made a point to wish JC well, telling him that the fans were all looking forward to seeing him play in 2010. I also asked him if there was any way he would be able to get back this season. His answer was quite intertesting . . . he said he would rather have four full years playing for Buzz than three and just a part of another. I was really happy to hear he thought that much about his coach, that he wanted his four full years of actual play at MU.

Smart answer by JC. Keeping the medical redshirt on him, regardless of what happens, is probably whats best for both JC and Marquette.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2009, 09:36:54 PM »
Yes he had surgery. Glad it sounds like he won't rush this.

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2009, 11:38:12 PM »
If the incredibly talented incoming class and Lazar are tearing it up, BUT Cube can't get the ball up the court and Acker can't stop any opposing PGs, THEN it would be pretty tempting to put a seemingly recovered JC on the court.  The choice then could be a great front court getting frustrated and needing JC.

My hope is that Acker and Cube return to pre-2009 form, with Acker distributing well and coming up with steals and Cube nailing threes.  Further my hope is that Acker's size will not be as big a defensive liability this year as he can go for steals with a lot more size behind him.  If Cube and Acker are solid like this, then I don't believe there will be any consideration of playing JC.

We all want what is best for JC, but if he appears ready, I believe it will come down to the play of Acker and Cube.
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

Rollout-the-Barrel

• Starter
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2009, 09:32:46 AM »
Actually, it's Buzz's call primarily.  If Buzz thinks it is in the best interests of the team to have him sit out the year, even if he is full strength in January, than he should be redshirted.  But this is kind of silly because there is no chance that he'll be at full strength in January.
I would argue that for the best interest in the team and relationship between buzz and Junior it should be a decision they make together.  Anyway, it's likely a moot point and he doesn't play til next season.
"We have the blues on the run!"

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2009, 10:50:29 AM »
Talked to him last night at the Tip Off Dinner. Really nice kid. He still is on crutches and had on what appeared to be an air cast. He said that he will start jogging in the pool next week and he is looking forward to getting moving again.

As an aside, all of the players were great. Very polite, well mannered, willing to talk to us old guys. It's a nice event.
We Are Marquette

feedback