[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 09:15:16 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Inbound line violation question  (Read 6834 times)

BrewCity83

• All American
Re: Inbound line violation question
« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2022, 05:12:47 PM »
I don't know how to do a video capture, but just re-watched the last few seconds on YTTV and he actually did travel - took 3 steps.

Yes he did travel.  But that's not what the ref called.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2022, 05:29:37 PM »
I understand calling the over the line violation if he was over the line.  But on replay it didn’t look like he was over.  So at the very least it looked like a bad call. 

Two layups cost us the game.  But we got fined for going exactly the speed limit by an over zealous police officer.
Don't have to be over, you can't step on it to pass inbounds.
Goal is National Championship

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2022, 05:32:00 PM »
I don’t think anyone disputes MU lost the game on their own accord (at least I’m not).  That call should never have been made though.  That’s my only point.  Strange call.
It's s violation that has ended our season in the past.
Goal is National Championship

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2022, 08:02:47 AM »
I don't know how to do a video capture, but just re-watched the last few seconds on YTTV and he actually did travel - took 3 steps.

#FakeNews #Lies

You can do the running man for 4 seconds and then throw it in - no problem. There is no such thing as traveling when throwing the ball in.

I’d direct you to Rule 7, Section 6, Art. 8(c) which says, in part, “pivot foot restrictions and the traveling rule are not in effect for a throw-in”

When you can’t run the baseline, you still have a “designated spot” which is defined as 3-feet wide with no depth limitation.

This is one of the more misunderstood rules for casual fans, as they often believe the throw-in player can’t move his pivot foot or take steps. Not factual.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2022, 08:16:20 AM »
That was a BS call.  With how loose the refs are on that rule throughout the season, to make that call to basically end the game is horrible.
i see line violations a lot, but the refs are not paying attention. The refs are going to pay more attention to the in bounder when he is not allowed to move, which was the case here. A senior should know better.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2022, 09:24:39 AM »
i see line violations a lot, but the refs are not paying attention. The refs are going to pay more attention to the in bounder when he is not allowed to move, which was the case here. A senior should know better.

An in bounder is allowed to move
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2022, 09:35:50 AM »
#FakeNews #Lies

You can do the running man for 4 seconds and then throw it in - no problem. There is no such thing as traveling when throwing the ball in.

I’d direct you to Rule 7, Section 6, Art. 8(c) which says, in part, “pivot foot restrictions and the traveling rule are not in effect for a throw-in”

When you can’t run the baseline, you still have a “designated spot” which is defined as 3-feet wide with no depth limitation.

This is one of the more misunderstood rules for casual fans, as they often believe the throw-in player can’t move his pivot foot or take steps. Not factual.

Yeah, lots of folks don't understand inbounding rules, but that's OK. They can get educated here. As you said, there's no "traveling" while inbounding the ball. Shuffling one's feet is not against the rules.

The inbounder can start 2 1/2 feet behind the baseline and take 10 choppy steps forward if he or she wants to, and it's not a violation. If he or she makes contact with the baseline before throwing the ball in, however, it is a violation. And unfortunately, that's what Greg did.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2022, 10:44:53 AM »
#FakeNews #Lies

Fair enough, appreciate the explanation.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2022, 10:58:51 AM »
It is not a matter of whether the rule is good or bad.

It is a matter of having the experience and poise to execute.

What Sunday proved is we have a lot of growing to do if we expect to win ANYTHING in the NCAAs.

Greg as a "senior" guard never should have been anywhere near that line.

Darryl as a senior should have read the defense, seen the trap and passed.

Tyler as our all-world point guard, who has been so important to us for so long should have been on the floor handling the ball. Maybe that meant Kur or ever JLew was on the bench, but Tyler need to be there.

Shaka should have had our "best five" on the court when it mattered. Obviously, he didn't.

There is no guarantee we would have made the shot and, if we missed, I'd feel bad but would understand. But when you shoot yourself in the foot, your fans get angry.

We've lost two games to Creighton because of self-inflicted incompetence. The kind of stuff we were used to seeing under Wojo. We've gone from being a 4 or 5 seed to probably being a 9 seed, assuming there is no more absurdity. Fortunately, we're at home for the remainder of our games (at DePaul, we probably will have more fans there than they will) and should be favored. But, gosh, clean the mess up, OK?????

MU82

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2022, 12:52:12 PM »
dg: I appreciate your passion, but we do not yet know the whole story behind why Kolek wasn't part of Shaka's "best five" on Sunday, and there's a chance we never will.

Oh, and there's no "best lineup" without Lewis.

Agree with most of the rest, especially the cleaning-up part!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

romey

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2022, 03:00:24 PM »
At the reisk of continually beating this dead horse (and we still have 4 more days until the next game) one thing I haven't seen clearly is a look where ball is released and where his foot is at that exact moment .  Perhaps that footage (ha ha) doesn't exist, but I wondered was the ball still in his hands when his foot crossed the line.  With all the super slow motion replays we see when a ball is tipped out of bounds by two opponents or when a shot is released as time expires, I thought we'd see that.  Never happened that I recall.

And as a previous poster pointed out there was the "dropped" ball before an inbound which was never called, but could have been an issue.

Finally, there was a blatant over the line (in my opinion) on an inbound pass following a made CU basket where I believe it was Oso, who grabbed the ball, stepped OB and then threw it back in with barely even establishing himself OB and clearly, I thought, stepped over before releasing the ball.

Probably should work on inbound passes right after free throws next practice.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2022, 03:42:31 PM »
At the reisk of continually beating this dead horse (and we still have 4 more days until the next game) one thing I haven't seen clearly is a look where ball is released and where his foot is at that exact moment .  Perhaps that footage (ha ha) doesn't exist, but I wondered was the ball still in his hands when his foot crossed the line.  With all the super slow motion replays we see when a ball is tipped out of bounds by two opponents or when a shot is released as time expires, I thought we'd see that.  Never happened that I recall.

And as a previous poster pointed out there was the "dropped" ball before an inbound which was never called, but could have been an issue.

Finally, there was a blatant over the line (in my opinion) on an inbound pass following a made CU basket where I believe it was Oso, who grabbed the ball, stepped OB and then threw it back in with barely even establishing himself OB and clearly, I thought, stepped over before releasing the ball.

Probably should work on inbound passes right after free throws next practice.

For that last one, I think it would need to be egregious to call. I’m not sure Davante was ever fully out of bounds when he inbounded after a made basket.

Dead ball inbounds, especially at the end of games, are the ones that will get the most scrutiny.

Marqevans

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2022, 03:58:32 PM »
In March 1971, Marquette was 26-0, ranked #2 in the country and playing Ohio State in the NCAA Tournament. I believe MU was clinging to a 1 point lead with just a few seconds to go and had to inbound a ball. The MU inbounder stepped on the line (so said the referee). Turnover. A couple of seconds later an OSU guard hits a 15 foot jumper as time runs out.

Game over. Season over. NCAA Title hopes over.

I've seen this before.

It was Allie McGuire that stepped over the line.

If there are some old timers out there with better memories than me, how close did I get on the scenario???

Marqevans

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2022, 04:11:31 PM »

It was a sideline play, and if I remember correctly, he had very little room to stand as he was near the bench.