'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Heldt Article  (Read 9707 times)

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
Re: Heldt Article
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2014, 02:54:44 PM »
I know you're asking this rhetorically, but come on, the guy's "talent" was being 7' 7".  You can't help but swat a lot of shots when you're a minimum of 6-7 inches taller than everyone else on the court. 

I really don't get your desire to tear Mac down?  I'm not saying he's the be all, end all of big men by a long shot, and yes, the Sonics signed him to a ridiculous contract, but the guy had a knack for blocking shots.  Yes, he was 7'1", but there are a lot of seven footers who can only block shots by accident.

And again, his impact at MU was enormous.  He was one of the main cogs that got us back to prominence.  I'd take another McIllvaine in a heartbeat at MU.  Plus his scoring and rebounding MU stats weren't bad at all, especially considering what he gave MU at the defensive end. 

I don't mean to knock McIlvaine. One of the original posters suggested Heldt would be better off working with Mac than Butch. In my opinion, Mac (who I really like as an announcer and ambassador of MU basketball) was a much bigger stiff than Brian Butch was. Butch suffered from his expectations, but I don't think he was a stiff.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2014, 03:34:12 PM »
In my opinion, Mac (who I really like as an announcer and ambassador of MU basketball) was a much bigger stiff than Brian Butch was. Butch suffered from his expectations, but I don't think he was a stiff.

You'll have to remind me how Butch's NBA career went?   Or how his best PPG average in college was that ONE year he lit up the scoreboard at 12 per game (never reaching double digit average his other three years)?  Or those two seasons of 6 rebounds per game, his best rebound average at UW?  Or how he rarely blocked a shot?  Or how Bo was so excited to get him in the lineup he made him redshirt his first year.

Seriously, do a side by side of Mac vs Butch in college, and it's Mac in a landslide.  That's not even counting him earning an NBA paycheck for seven or eight years whatever it was.  I feel like I'm arguing with one of my idiot Badger fan friends.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2014, 05:14:45 PM »
The greatest ever wore number 6 - and he never had to take a season off to let his gambling situation cool down. And it was ONLY 11 of 13 'cuz he had an ankle injury vs. St. Louis.

It's one thing to dominate college hoops as UCLA did under Wooden. But the Russell-led teams dominated a professional sport in a way like no other team. And make no mistake - Bill Russell was the heart and soul of those Celtics. Throw in his role as a race pioneer and it is all the more impressive. 

Death on call

Class71

• All American
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2014, 07:50:52 PM »
Bottom line is the guy is set financially with multi-generational wealth.

I think most of us would enjoy being called a stiff by providing that kind of wealth. Let's here for the stiffs.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2014, 07:54:00 PM »
There was a dude named Bill Russell who made a rather nice living doing that for which there is no measurement.

People speak of Michael Jordan as being the greatest because he has 6 rings. Mr Russell has 11 in 13 years. Prodigious. Throw in the fact that Russell's character and behavior stand in stark contrast to the moral ambiguity of Jordan and it is no contest.

Jordan was the greatest because he was the best basketball player on the floor.  He didn't win as many rings, but the league was way different back then.  Same reason you will never see UCLA matched as well.

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2014, 08:09:19 PM »
I'm still trying to figure out what the point of the article is.  Best I can figure Butch sometimes plays in open gyms in Neenah against him during his offseason. Big deal. And why is this a UW vs MU thing?

My guess it is written by a scorned Madison fan.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 08:12:04 PM by Knight Commission »

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2014, 08:19:09 PM »
This is a positive for Heldt. Practicing against an experienced Big can only help.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2014, 08:25:21 PM »
I'm still trying to figure out what the point of the article is.  Best I can figure Butch sometimes plays in open gyms in Neenah against him during his offseason. Big deal. And why is this a UW vs MU thing?

???

Its a story from an Appleton newspaper about how the biggest basketball star in the city's history is helping out another big man who is getting a D1 scholarship.  Not sure what other point needs to be made.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2014, 12:51:56 PM »
I don't know if it should, but it impresses me even more that Wojo secured Heldt knowing that has been being mentored by a former badger
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2014, 12:53:26 PM »
I don't know if it should, but it impresses me even more that Wojo secured Heldt DESPITE knowing that has been being mentored by a former badger

Death on call

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2014, 02:11:02 PM »
Let's just hope Butch wasn't teaching him to play Bo-style ball. But first, should we make sure that we're not going to play Bo-style ball?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2014, 02:18:39 PM »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2014, 02:21:08 PM »
Never saw the big deal about that picture.   A college kid goofing.   Worse exist for most people on this board.    Though they may have to be uploaded from black and white film and polaroids.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2014, 02:37:14 PM »
Never saw the big deal about that picture.   A college kid goofing.   Worse exist for most people on this board.    Though they may have to be uploaded from black and white film and polaroids.   

It is an outrage due to the implications that he has removed the brasserie of a young lady out of wedlock.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2014, 06:03:48 PM »

Wait that was a controversial picture? 
Maigh Eo for Sam

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2014, 07:02:26 PM »
Wait that was a controversial picture? 

No controversy. 

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2014, 07:30:17 PM »
No controversy. 
Unless that assistant AD had him model it.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2014, 07:42:55 PM »
Unless that assistant AD had him model it.

Zing.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2014, 09:38:20 PM »
I'm still trying to figure out what the point of the article is.  Best I can figure Butch sometimes plays in open gyms in Neenah against him during his offseason. Big deal. And why is this a UW vs MU thing?

It was a feature story written in the local newspaper about two local sports figures, one of whom was huge in those parts way back when, the other is one of the area's biggest stars now. If there was any suggestion in the article that the author thought Wisconsin superior to Marquette, I missed it.

Everything isn't an anti-MU conspiracy out there, you know.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brandx

« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2014, 10:08:07 PM »
It was a feature story written in the local newspaper about two local sports figures, one of whom was huge in those parts way back when, the other is one of the area's biggest stars now. If there was any suggestion in the article that the author thought Wisconsin superior to Marquette, I missed it.

Everything isn't an anti-MU conspiracy out there, you know.

About half the board thinks you are in on it now. :o

MU82

• All American
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2014, 10:59:46 PM »
About half the board thinks you are in on it now. :o

Keep it low, pal. They don't have to know that I changed my name from UW82!!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2014, 06:22:48 PM »
Keep it low, pal. They don't have to know that I changed my name from UW82!!

UW82??  I thought you went by BigRedHiney.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.