Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz Explains T on Jake  (Read 8222 times)

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
Buzz Explains T on Jake
« on: February 27, 2014, 11:11:03 PM »
Says that Jake was pointing at assistant who had setup the play telling him "It worked",and Buzz says ref somehow thought Jake was taunting him. These refs stink big time!!
Goal is National Championship

brandx

Re: Buzz Explains T on Jake
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 11:11:50 PM »
Says that Jake was pointing at assistant who had setup the play telling him "It worked",and Buzz says ref somehow thought Jake was taunting him. These refs stink big time!!

How do you taunt your own bench?

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 11:15:05 PM »
Was the T on Georgetown that followed a make-up call?  Nobody around me could figure out why either one was called.

Never heard the BC crowd jeer a technical assessed on an opponent.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 11:15:57 PM »
The refs were so bad .. The "make up T" on Gtown was the first time I'd heard a home town crowd boo a ref calling a T on the away team.

Just horrible.  Both ways.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 11:18:39 PM »
How do you taunt your own bench?
Ref thought Jake was taunting him!! That how stupid they were.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 11:21:00 PM »
Was the T on Georgetown that followed a make-up call?  Nobody around me could figure out why either one was called.

Never heard the BC crowd jeer a technical assessed on an opponent.
Yeah, Buzz implied that, he said that after T during timeout he explained to the ref that Jake was pointing to the assistant and then they called the T on GT. These refs need a timeout!!

Marqevans

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 11:26:19 PM »
Yeah, Buzz implied that, he said that after T during timeout he explained to the ref that Jake was pointing to the assistant and then they called the T on GT. These refs need a timeout!!
[/quo

DEFINETLY A MAKE UP CALL! 

RubyWiscy

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 11:33:05 PM »
Gotta love the warning to Buzz to stay in the coaches box in the last 1:30 of the game. Like he didn't step out all game?

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 11:34:51 PM »
Gotta love the warning to Buzz to stay in the coaches box in the last 1:30 of the game. Like he didn't step out all game?
What about on that foul with like 1 minute left he was squatting all over the court! KO said he looked like a catcher.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 11:36:58 PM »
Just got back from the game.  I understand that it was a make-up call, but I need to understand it a little better.  The GU player was playing tough D on Mayo, I believe.  Did he slap his hand?  Did he play after the whistle?  We all wondered what the call was as well.

I understand that it was a make up call, but even at that there had to be something.....what was it?

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 11:46:35 PM »
Just got back from the game.  I understand that it was a make-up call, but I need to understand it a little better.  The GU player was playing tough D on Mayo, I believe.  Did he slap his hand?  Did he play after the whistle?  We all wondered what the call was as well.

I understand that it was a make up call, but even at that there had to be something.....what was it?
Nobody knows not even Buzz (see above).

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 11:47:36 PM »
Wasn't a fan of the officiating - but at least it was poor both ways.  I knew we were in for a long night when I saw that both teams were in double bonus with 11:00 minutes still left in the game.

Yes, the original T was bad.  The make-up call was worse.  At least they let the kids play on the final possession.  If they blew a foul on THAT, then... I don't know what else to say...

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2014, 11:51:48 PM »
The refs were way to involved in this game. However, given Providence's lack of depth I take these same refs for that game.

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2014, 11:54:59 PM »
One of GU's bigs, I forget which one, fouled out before the first media timeout.  Insane.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2014, 12:11:59 AM »
Awful calls both ways. The fifth foul on both GT players wasn't a foul. The GT technical was somehow worse than Jake's technical.

This is what happens when John Cahill is in charge of refs!

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2014, 12:39:20 AM »

Announcers insinuated that it was for trash talking, but who knows. I understand the concept of a make-up call, but it really sucks if your the player a phantom T gets called on.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2014, 12:41:03 AM »
The refs were way to involved in this game. However, given Providence's lack of depth I take these same refs for that game.

+1
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2014, 08:20:11 AM »
The refs were awful and made the game completely unwatchable.  No way in hell I watch that game unless Marquette is playing.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2014, 08:24:36 AM »
The refs were awful and made the game completely unwatchable.  No way in hell I watch that game unless Marquette is playing.

Absolutely agree.  What really confused me is that I thought they were actually pretty good in the 1st half.  But that 2nd half was just so painfully bad, and bad calls against both teams.  Did The Three Jim Burr's somehow sneak in during halftime and take over the original refs bodies?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2014, 08:24:56 AM »

+1
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2014, 08:27:41 AM »
Love Jake's line about his last technical being for hanging on the rim.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2014, 08:37:07 AM »
If these refs are emloyed by the Big East, the conference is in trouble. Still miss U Conn, Syracuse, and
Pitt.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2014, 08:40:03 AM »
Announcers insinuated that it was for trash talking, but who knows. I understand the concept of a make-up call, but it really sucks if your the player a phantom T gets called on.

I don't think it was trash talking because the ref was demonstrating to the player what he did wrong.

It wasn't a personal foul much less a technical.

GoldenCoachD

• Walk-On
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2014, 08:45:18 AM »

When Buzz was relaying his defensive call to his team on the way down the floor, the refs thought he was calling a timeout. That was what the whistle was for. It was not a warning for being out of the coaches box.

connie

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2014, 08:48:22 AM »
Don't know if it is the new hand-check emphasis or just the refs we now get, but whatever the cause it has been brutal to watch numerous MU games this year.  While the "Make-up T" may be a new low, 2 1/2 hour games with 50-60 foul shots are simply not enjoyable.  Win or lose.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus