Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette Records to be Broken Soon  (Read 8421 times)

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Marquette Records to be Broken Soon
« on: October 22, 2007, 11:12:29 AM »
The three amigos are on pace to break quite a few Marquette records shortly.  These records are assuming all three stay for the next two years.

Also keep in mind Wes missed a significant portion of his freshman season and Jerel missed a few games last season due to injury.

All-Time Scoring Leaders
Name
Current Points
On Pace
Rank
Notes
Dominic James
185 points ahead of #2 George Thompson
Jerel McNeal
29 points behind #11 Steve Novak
Wesley Matthews
4 points behind #24 Jim McIlvaine

All-Time Steals Leaders
Name
Current Steals
On Pace
Rank
Notes
Jerel McNeal
8 steals ahead of #2 Michael Wilson
Dominic James
25 steals ahead of #5 Doc Rivers
Wesley Matthews
2 steals behind #10 Travis Diener

(All-Ranks of Past Players Are Assuming The Amigos Pass Them)

PuertoRicanNightmare

Re: Marquette Records to be Broken Soon
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 11:17:01 AM »
I sincerely felt sorry for Travis when he lost the chance to break Thompson's scoring record. I have to admit I do not want to see Dominic break that record.

If ever there has been a person deserving of a record, it's Jerel and that steals record. I hope he breaks that by more than 4.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 11:22:54 AM »
Yeah I believe he was 82 points behind with 5 games to go.

Not to mention other games he missed that season due to injury.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 12:13:10 PM »
That bummed me out as well.  There is no question that Travis would have broken that record if he had played at the end of the season.  He was regularly going for 24+ and they would have probably won at least one NIT game giving him even more margin.  I was really hoping that he might get it on senior day, how great would that have been.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 12:17:06 PM »
DJ really doesn't deserve the record. I hope he doesn't get it.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 12:28:33 PM »

I sincerely felt sorry for Travis when he lost the chance to break Thompson's scoring record. I have to admit I do not want to see Dominic break that record.

If Dom doesn't return for his senior year you will get your wish.  Other than that I don't see anyway he doesn't break it.  He would still be on pace to score 1469 points, however, putting him 15th all time.  Two points behind Roney Eford.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 12:36:05 PM by TallTitan34 »

ilovefreeway

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 12:34:12 PM »

Besides being a great ball palyer and a good kid, what else hasd DJ done to make you hate him so?

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2007, 12:35:27 PM »
No disrespect to Travis intended, but George put up his numbers in three seasons. 
Ludum habemus.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2007, 12:36:41 PM »
No disrespect to Travis intended, but George put up his numbers in three seasons. 

And without a three point line.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2007, 12:44:26 PM »

Besides being a great ball palyer and a good kid, what else hasd DJ done to make you hate him so?

Let's see, George Thompson was a legend. DJ will not be remembered in the same light if his career follows as it has. He was under produced, been selfish, and makes terrible decisions.

Personally, I don't find him as a player I can like. His personality strikes me wrong. I don't think he gives it his all on the court, games and practices.

Travis on the other hand, I feel is the anti-DJ. He wasn't nearly as athletic, but built talents such as 3-point shooting. He was fearless, played with reckless abandon, and was great leader from day one.

I would love for DJ to change my impressions though.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2007, 01:05:26 PM »
He was fearless, played with reckless abandon, and was great leader from day one.

This link below always reminds me of how Travis played.  He was never afraid to hop a scorers table or even a few rows of chairs for a ball.  He showed the same instensity in an exhibition as he would a NCAA tourny game.

http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/sports/mu/img/jan04/trav120.jpg

I don't think he gives it his all on the court, games and practices.

I wouldn't go so far as to say he doesn't give it his all. 
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 01:08:45 PM by TallTitan34 »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2007, 01:10:51 PM »
I think he dogs it 20% of the time in games. You can tell when his intensity and effort lowers. He gets defeated easily in his mind.

Travis never stopped.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2007, 01:15:05 PM »
I'll admit DJ doesn't play to the same intensity as Travis did but there are few that do.

That doesn't mean that DJ doesn't give it his all.  If anything when DJ struggles I think it is because he is forcing something that isn't there.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2007, 01:21:15 PM »
I would rather our all-time leading scorer not be a player who banks in a significant number of his jump shots.

Knights04

• Walk-On
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2007, 01:45:06 PM »
I would rather our all-time leading scorer not be a player who banks in a significant number of his jump shots.

The above is a stupid post.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2007, 01:55:06 PM »

The above is a stupid post.

I pretty much agree with PRN.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2007, 02:33:30 PM »
Whether you like the way he plays or not; DJ is a helluva a player who I believe gives it his all every single game and has led Marquette to back to back NCAA bids.  To say you hope that a current Marquette player doesn't break a record, or worse doesn't deserve to break it, is a really sh!tty thing to say.  You can criticize how he plays or what he doesn't do well (shoot outside); but I would like to think that Marquette alumni and fans are classier than this.

mugrad99

• Team Captain
Everyone is entitled to their opinion
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2007, 02:39:51 PM »
But hoping a current player doesn't have enough success to break this record is really a crappy thing to say.....If he plays 2 full years, his pretty much assured to break it. DJ does nothing but show class on and off the court.  I honestly don't know why some of you act like he robbed your daughter of her virginity.

But then PRN, in my opinion is a real piece of work, and I wouldn't expect anything more out of him.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2007, 02:50:41 PM »
Who knows?  Maybe Iman read MUscoop and realized there are nimrods who root against the success or their own players because they don't like their 'style'.   Or who openly root against their coach because he is too much of a salesman-type for them.    Sad.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2007, 03:02:35 PM »
As I see it, there are two kinds of "nimrods" on this board:

1. The kind that think they are required to constantly paint rosy pictures about everything having to do with MU. You either bow to the coach and root for every hallowed record to be broken or you are  not a real fan.

2. The kind who throw the term "classy" around when discussing being the fan of a basketball team. Get serious. Wimbledon fans are considered "classy," except when they're running on the court naked. Classy? Are you kidding me? 

I am not wishing ill will on anybody. I don't want Thompson's record broken. What's the problem? I didn't want Walter Payton's record broken either. 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2007, 03:09:41 PM »
Sad? I don't see the 'sadness' anywhere.

I'm not a big DJ fan. I'm not pushing it on you. I think he is a tremendous athlete, but I don't like the way he plays the game. He can still change my impression of him, but I enjoy fundamentals. Shooting, passing, and defensive. He is subpar in two of them, his defense is alright.

I'd rather see a TD/SN 3-point basket than an athletic move to the hoop anyday. Shooting is a skill, not a 'god-given' talent. DJ has relied on his talent, and to this day has done very little improving his skills. If he was actually 'giving it his all', would free-throw shooting be so hard? Where are the stories of DJ going back to The Al after a game and shooting all night long?....right....

I'm not hating the kid, but I believe more in other players. I'm sorry to root for a former player more than a current one.  ::)

ToddPacker

• Starter
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2007, 03:34:33 PM »
As I see it, there are two kinds of "nimrods" on this board:

1. The kind that think they are required to constantly paint rosy pictures about everything having to do with MU. You either bow to the coach and root for every hallowed record to be broken or you are  not a real fan.

2. The kind who throw the term "classy" around when discussing being the fan of a basketball team. Get serious. Wimbledon fans are considered "classy," except when they're running on the court naked. Classy? Are you kidding me? 

I am not wishing ill will on anybody. I don't want Thompson's record broken. What's the problem? I didn't want Walter Payton's record broken either. 

So, which kind of nimrod are you then?  I bet you that a majority of posters here think you are a nimrod, however, you conveniently have not included a category which captures "fans" such as yourself.  I will attempt to do so for you.

3.  The kind that constantly whine, moan, and complain about anything and everything related to the head coach, and sometimes, on special occasions, about things not related to our head coach. 

Moving on:  Why is shooting a skill and getting to the hoop not?  I have seen tremendous athletes who are terrible basketball players. You seem to think that DJ is not working his tail off and that makes me laugh.  Do you think Crean lets him dog it out there? 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2007, 03:36:31 PM »
Crean doesn't let him dog it. Hence why he saw the bench a bit last year. And he will see the bench this year with Acker deserving some minutes.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2007, 05:36:59 PM »
marqptm: Just because you don't like the way he plays gives you no reason to say he doesn't deserve it.  If he gets the record he deserves it.

Would you have been mad if DWade broke the scoring record because he couldn't shoot outside?

DJames isn't a great shooter, but is an excellent defender and pretty good passer.  I would say also say penetration is a pretty good skill; one which he excels at.

prn: I am not rooting for records to be broken (I love that Thompson is the leading scorer) but I sure as hell don't root against records being broken.  That shows a complete lack of class.  Do you ever think you would see a guy like Jack Nicklaus come out and say he is rooting for Tiger to fail? No, never.  Classy guys say they love having the record, but records are made to be broken and if someone breaks it, so be it.  Also, you can use classy to describe basketball fans; however you may be unware of that as you often seem to be lacking of it.

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2007, 06:23:11 PM »
Shooting, passing, and defensive. He is subpar in two of them, his defense is alright.

Wow how do you figure he is subpar passing?? His court vision is outstanding and he makes passes that most people could not dream of making. Occassionally he'll make a bad pass but so does everyone. I just don't see how he's a subpar passer. Have you ever listened to all the game day analysts? They all praise DJ for his passing ability....

feedback