[May 13, 2024, 08:40:15 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by brewcity77
[May 13, 2024, 07:04:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Pakuni
[May 13, 2024, 04:51:05 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by tower912
[May 13, 2024, 04:33:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: The numbers don't lie  (Read 9187 times)

Jay Bee

• All American
Re: The numbers don't lie
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2013, 07:29:35 AM »
Otule's eFG% is highest on the team. By your assessment, he must be the team's best shooter, Eh?

Stop creating things. I wasn't making a qualatative assessment. Your claim was that the numbers showed a significant drop from Van to Jake. My point is that your claim is mathematically false. You don't understand the numbers.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2013, 07:56:20 AM »
Yeah, think so too
Probably misremembering also. Jr. was way better at threading the needle to the post, as well as driving to the hoop and dishing to Ox. Derrick lacks that skill.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2013, 10:04:36 AM »
Numbers lie all the time in sports.

Numbers don't accurately measure leadership or heart or intangibles or clutch play.

Anybody with a calculator can find numbers to support his or her argument and tear down another person's argument.

Quite often, the eye test or the smell tes -- especially when applied by knowledgeable people -- is superior to numbers.

The Vander/Jake thing is so easy, just like the Vander/Gasser thing. I don't need numbers to know who was better because I have two eyes, decent basketball knowledge and common sense.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2013, 10:05:36 AM »
Probably misremembering also. Jr. was way better at threading the needle to the post, as well as driving to the hoop and dishing to Ox. Derrick lacks that skill.

I pine for the days of a Tony Miller, DJ, Diener, etc

DaCoach

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2013, 10:22:47 AM »
Stop creating things. I wasn't making a qualatative assessment. Your claim was that the numbers showed a significant drop from Van to Jake. My point is that your claim is mathematically false. You don't understand the numbers.
You are a perfect example of someone so illogical that it's impossible to try and educate. I'm done trying.
Players win awards but teams win championships

DaCoach

• Team Captain
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2013, 10:25:39 AM »
Numbers lie all the time in sports.

I've got it now. Don't confuse you with facts. You've got your mind made up already.
Players win awards but teams win championships

MU82

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2013, 10:55:03 AM »
I've got it now. Don't confuse you with facts. You've got your mind made up already.

I didn't say all numbers lie all the time. I'm just saying that a person on either side of any issue can find numbers to support an argument.

Who belongs in the Hall of Fame, Jack Morris or Mike Mussina? Well, Morris had fewer wins and a higher ERA, as well as fewer strikeouts and more walks ... so Mussina. But wait, Morris had three times as many complete games, so he was more of a workhorse, led all pitchers in the '80s in victories and was a clutch pitcher on three championship teams ... so Morris. Then there's Curt Schilling, who in addition to being a fine regular-season pitcher went 11-2 with a 2.23 ERA in 19 postseason games.

See?

Again, it's semantics. None of those numbers in my example really "lied." Each was a fact. But one can take any number and use it however one pleases.

If you take eFG% and use it as proof that one player is better than another, that is your prerogative. I can take what I witness with my own two eyes and give it even greater weight. That's my prerogative. You will say your measure is better than mine. I will politely disagree. And then we can move on to the next subject.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2013, 11:42:48 AM »
I'm still waiting for the defenses to play MU 5 on 4...because Derrick can't score!

Zones are going to have a field day with him this year!
SS Marquette

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2013, 12:02:52 PM »
I pine for the days of a Tony Miller, DJ, Diener, etc
Yeah--even though Tony was not much of a shooter, he could pass and control the ball. Wonder if we will ever get a guy to break his assist record. We need a PG that has ball skills of Tony, athleticism of DJ, and shooting of Diener. His name would be Dominavis Miller.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2013, 12:04:41 PM »
His name would be Dominavis Miller.

Okay, that was funny.   ;D

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2013, 05:48:22 PM »
No, not at all. How's fire fightin'?

Read the thread again. Where does Sultan come into this at all. You continue to have reading comprehension problems.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2013, 08:53:51 PM »
You continue to have reading comprehension problems.

Nope, not at all. A degree from MU plus two Masters from top 5 universities and then an Honor Graduate of Air War College suggests otherwise. We know you didn't go to Marquette. Just what is your alma mater?

Death on call

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2013, 10:28:52 PM »
Nope, not at all. A degree from MU plus two Masters from top 5 universities and then an Honor Graduate of Air War College suggests otherwise. We know you didn't go to Marquette. Just what is your alma mater?

Whoa, that took a turn. The smiley face meant he was kidding.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2013, 10:33:55 PM »
Whoa, that took a turn. The smiley face meant he was kidding.

A "smiley" would have meant he was kidding. Only he didn't use the "smiley." In true Cyber Bully form he used the "eye roll."

:)     smiley

::)   eye roll

Eye Roll is not a sushi item. Rather, it is eSpeak for "you are an idiot." It is the Cyber Bully equivalent of "F uck You."

Death on call

MU82

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2013, 11:02:54 PM »

A "smiley" would have meant he was kidding. Only he didn't use the "smiley." In true Cyber Bully form he used the "eye roll."

:)     smiley

::)   eye roll

Eye Roll is not a sushi item. Rather, it is eSpeak for "you are an idiot." It is the Cyber Bully equivalent of "F uck You."

I didn't know that because I don't have multiple Master's degrees!  :-*

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2013, 11:20:10 PM »
I didn't know that because I don't have multiple Master's degrees!  :-*

I took Iconology Engineering 501 at Michigan for the non-existent internet. I believe Al Gore was just wrapping up his Herculean effort at inventing it. He would have been done sooner if not for the whole global warming thing.

Death on call

brandx

« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2013, 12:51:51 PM »
I took Iconology Engineering 501 at Michigan for the non-existent internet. I believe Al Gore was just wrapping up his Herculean effort at inventing it. He would have been done sooner if not for the whole global warming thing.

That would be a funny line IF Al had actually said he invented the internet

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2013, 01:01:13 PM »

I know that. It's just fun to take the piss out of any politician.

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2013, 01:02:41 PM »

He said he took the initiative to create it while in Congress.  Invent...create...semantics.  Said it multiple times, including the Larry King show and with Wolf Blitzer.  Obviously, the internet was created by a combination of military and academic institutions (UCLA and Stanford are partially credited).   

Plenty of video out there that shows what he said.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnFJ8cHAlco

Obviously people that defend him and his side take issue with it and say that's not what he meant, etc, etc.  Understood, the question I would have for them is if the shoe was on the other foot (say Mission Accomplished...which was also "never said") would you defend in the same manner?  I think we know the answer....it is what it is. 

brandx

« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2013, 01:32:08 PM »
I know that. It's just fun to take the piss out of any politician.

It actually is kinda funny how we repeat this stuff even when we know it isn't true. I'm not blaming you cuz I do the same thing too. We all take the simple route with someone we disagree with - it was pretty easy for me for 8 years with Bush

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2013, 01:52:58 PM »
It actually is kinda funny how we repeat this stuff even when we know it isn't true. I'm not blaming you cuz I do the same thing too. We all take the simple route with someone we disagree with - it was pretty easy for me for 8 years with Bush

I only needed a few days with Mr. Obama...

Death on call

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2013, 04:49:10 PM »
I'm just going to go ahead and lock this while I'm looking at the site. Merry Christmas everyone!