Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Austin Rivers  (Read 7461 times)

schuess56

• Walk-On
Austin Rivers
« on: February 06, 2012, 09:03:17 AM »

Lose to unranked  Miami?   At home?    Two losses at home with the most talented
recruits in the country including No. 1 hype recruit Austin Rivers?

Yes, he scored 20 points and played 43 minutes but 1-7 on the 3 pointers, and ...

Too bad Austin Rivers did not come to MU  and play for Buzz  ... where he could have had some fun.

ringout

• Team Captain
Re: Austin Rivers
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 09:06:51 AM »
Lose to unranked  Miami?   At home?    Two losses at home with the most talented
recruits in the country including No. 1 hype recruit Austin Rivers?

Yes, he scored 20 points and played 43 minutes but 1-7 on the 3 pointers, and ...

Too bad Austin Rivers did not come to MU  and play for Buzz  ... where he could have had some fun.

and been just as ready for the NBA

reinko

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 01:19:00 PM »
3-4 years of Todd Mayo > 1 year of Austin Rivers

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 01:27:40 PM »

Hmmm, not sure about that.....close though. With Rivers I think this team would be a #1 or #2 seed. I'd take 1 final four run over 2-3 sweet 16 runs.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 01:39:36 PM »
Hmmm, not sure about that.....close though. With Rivers I think this team would be a #1 or #2 seed. I'd take 1 final four run over 2-3 sweet 16 runs.
Is Austin Rivers secretly two or three 6'9" guys? 

That's the only way this team is a 1 or 2 seed.

strotty

• All American
    • Paint Touches
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 01:55:37 PM »
But imagine a starting lineup of Rivers, DJO, Blue, Crowder, Otule.  :o

As long as we're imagining Rivers coming to MU, I can imagine a healthy Otule.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 02:08:58 PM »
Is Austin Rivers secretly two or three 6'9" guys? 

That's the only way this team is a 1 or 2 seed.

Disagree.  If Rivers were on Marquette, you have Crowder, DJO and Rivers who consistently get 18 points.  Think of how much Rivers would open up shots for DJO and Mayo.  A scoring threat at point guard would do wonders for Marquette, big man or no big man.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 02:26:54 PM »
Disagree.  If Rivers were on Marquette, you have Crowder, DJO and Rivers who consistently get 18 points.  Think of how much Rivers would open up shots for DJO and Mayo.  A scoring threat at point guard would do wonders for Marquette, big man or no big man.

agreed which is why another year of junior and three of d. wilson worries me.  i think junior can be solid next year as a senior, but i'm really hoping that vander or tj taylor can be ready to play big minutes at the point for the 2013-2014 season when we return everyone but junior. 

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 02:46:50 PM »
I don't think it is as simple as saying adding Rivers gives us three 18 point scorers because by virtue of the fact that you are adding him and his shot attempts, you are removing those attempts from somebody else. 

Our biggest defficiency is interior presence, rebounding and attacking teams with athletic length.  I don't think adding another perimeter player helps in any of those areas. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 05:09:09 PM »

I would be floored, absolutely floored, if we had 4 years of Todd Mayo. Honestly, I'm not counting on year 3, either.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 06:22:09 PM »
I would be floored, absolutely floored, if we had 4 years of Todd Mayo. Honestly, I'm not counting on year 3, either.

I am definitely counting on three.  Figure next year he makes a jump but the scouts will find weaknesses to his game.  Thus he will spend year three showing those are no longer weaknesses.

At least three years.  I hope!  ;D

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 06:47:53 PM »

Because of transfer or NBA? Maybe after his junior year but you think next year?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 07:28:26 PM »
I don't think it is as simple as saying adding Rivers gives us three 18 point scorers because by virtue of the fact that you are adding him and his shot attempts, you are removing those attempts from somebody else. 

Our biggest defficiency is interior presence, rebounding and attacking teams with athletic length.  I don't think adding another perimeter player helps in any of those areas. 

My guess is Crowder and DJO's shot attempts stay about where they are if we have a point guard who can score and we rely less on guys like Mayo, Wilson, and Blue to score, so those guys have a few less shot attempts a game.  I also think the quality of shots that DJO and Crowder would get would be much higher and much less difficult as defenses would not be able to sag off against Rivers and help off of him like they do with Cadougan.  He would open up the floor in a way that we have not seen since Wade.  Just like if we had had a different guard in place of Dwyane Wade when he was at Marquette (say we replace him with Blue).  Not only was the team better with Wade because he was a more talented player/scorer, but he also opened up the floor/shots for Diener and Novak.  Without Wade, those 2 are not nearly as efficient as they were.  Rivers would have the same type of impact on DJO and Crowder.

If I could take an elite point guard or an elite center and add him to this team then yes I would want an elite center.  But to say that Austin Rivers would not bump us up from a 4 to a 2 seed is probably wrong (no way to truly know, but my guess is he would).  Just because we need a post presence more than we need a point guard doesn't mean a top notch point guard wouldn't make us a better team (I like Cadougan, but Rivers is a much better player and would help Marquette greatly).
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 07:37:28 PM »
If I could take an elite point guard or an elite center and add him to this team then yes I would want an elite center.  But to say that Austin Rivers would not bump us up from a 4 to a 2 seed is probably wrong (no way to truly know, but my guess is he would).  Just because we need a post presence more than we need a point guard doesn't mean a top notch point guard wouldn't make us a better team (I like Cadougan, but Rivers is a much better player and would help Marquette greatly).
Fair enough.  I agree we'd be a better team, would be brain dead not to.  However, I'm not sold that we'd improve to the degree that you (and others) think. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2012, 07:42:48 PM »
Whoever said Rivers gave MU a sniff on the recruiting trail? Or that he's not having fun at Duke? Really, anyone think, in their right mind, that we talkin' apples to apples here? Hey, I think MU and hoops here are the tits, but, honestly, in your heart of hearts, ya gotta know, it ain't Duke, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2012, 11:45:06 PM »

This is one of the more ridiculous statements I've seen made on this board. Todd Mayo has certainly outperformed expectations this season, but he is no where near ready to play in the NBA. As we've seen over the past few weeks, he needs more consistency from downtown, and he also needs to develop a few better finishing moves for when he gets in the paint. Growing three inches wouldn't hurt either...
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2012, 12:07:24 AM »
This is one of the more ridiculous statements I've seen made on this board. Todd Mayo has certainly outperformed expectations this season, but he is no where near ready to play in the NBA. As we've seen over the past few weeks, he needs more consistency from downtown, and he also needs to develop a few better finishing moves for when he gets in the paint. Growing three inches wouldn't hurt either...

No, THIS^^ is the absurd statement. Brew is absolutly right. With DJO gone, Todd will become a starter and could take off next year, if not by the time his Junior year is over. You do realize Todd will be 21 next month right? You really think hes going to stick around 4 years and enter the draft when hes 24? You bring up growing. What's the only thing worse than iffy size? AGE. NO CHANCE he plays 4 years, if he does it means he isnt helping like he should.

Also note that vander(you know a sophmore) doesnt turn 20 til like june or july. Theres your lesson for today.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2012, 12:40:38 AM »
No, THIS^^ is the absurd statement. Brew is absolutly right. With DJO gone, Todd will become a starter and could take off next year, if not by the time his Junior year is over. You do realize Todd will be 21 next month right? You really think hes going to stick around 4 years and enter the draft when hes 24? You bring up growing. What's the only thing worse than iffy size? AGE. NO CHANCE he plays 4 years, if he does it means he isnt helping like he should.

Also note that vander(you know a sophmore) doesnt turn 20 til like june or july. Theres your lesson for today.

So regardless or how prepared or unprepared you are just leave hey? A 24 year old rookie is much different than a 24 year old 3rd year player. Just look at Kobe. He has much more wear and tear than most guys his age because he went straight from high school to the pros. Mayo is an insersized shooting guard who will need to gain point guard skills to make it in the NBA. That isn't happening this year or next.

You realize Lazar was in the same situation that Todd is in, right? Even went to the same prep school. How could a guy so old stick around for four years?! Oh, right, because he wasn't ready. Well that must have seriously knocked Lazar's chances of being drafted, right?! Especially in the first round! Wait a minute...

Jamil's a 21 year old sophomore. Everyone, hold off on the excitement about his future, he's getting old and better get out while he can! Watch for him to go pro after this year! Chris Otule is getting too old, he'll be 23 during next year's season, forget about him getting a medical hardship waiver and a 6th year, he doesn't even need a 5th year, he's too old for college basketball, he's going from injury to the draft! MU fans better enjoy TJ Taylor while he's around. Being a 21 year old sophomore, he could only possibly be here for 1 year or he'll be too old!

Come on. If you ain't ready, you ain't ready. Suggesting a kid will leave school early just because he's a 22 year old junior is beyond laughable. If kids do that, good luck to them. Better chance of being a 24 year old who had a great college career than a 24 year old trying to find a spot in the NBA from Europe. Just ask Jerel McNeal how easy that is.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 12:58:09 AM by wadesworld »

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2012, 12:10:37 PM »
So regardless or how prepared or unprepared you are just leave hey? A 24 year old rookie is much different than a 24 year old 3rd year player. Just look at Kobe. He has much more wear and tear than most guys his age because he went straight from high school to the pros. Mayo is an insersized shooting guard who will need to gain point guard skills to make it in the NBA. That isn't happening this year or next.

You realize Lazar was in the same situation that Todd is in, right? Even went to the same prep school. How could a guy so old stick around for four years?! Oh, right, because he wasn't ready. Well that must have seriously knocked Lazar's chances of being drafted, right?! Especially in the first round! Wait a minute...

Jamil's a 21 year old sophomore. Everyone, hold off on the excitement about his future, he's getting old and better get out while he can! Watch for him to go pro after this year! Chris Otule is getting too old, he'll be 23 during next year's season, forget about him getting a medical hardship waiver and a 6th year, he doesn't even need a 5th year, he's too old for college basketball, he's going from injury to the draft! MU fans better enjoy TJ Taylor while he's around. Being a 21 year old sophomore, he could only possibly be here for 1 year or he'll be too old!

Come on. If you ain't ready, you ain't ready. Suggesting a kid will leave school early just because he's a 22 year old junior is beyond laughable. If kids do that, good luck to them. Better chance of being a 24 year old who had a great college career than a 24 year old trying to find a spot in the NBA from Europe. Just ask Jerel McNeal how easy that is.

Wow, did you suffer a head injury today? TODD IS EXPECTED TO BE A STARTER BY NEXT YEAR. If he takes the normal strides with his age, with his family he is GONE. He will not wait til hes 24. Ya how is it working for Lazar? Good PT? Funny you bring up Kobe, lol what a comparison!!!! BTW they just talked about how Kobe will be around for another 6 years ready to break Kareems all time record. Ironic you bring up the wear and tear that clearly doesnt make him miss anytime.

And Todd will be a 23 year old junior. He plays 3 years, thats it. The guy will have two years as a starter under his belt, he will be GONE.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2012, 12:14:30 PM »
And did you completely miss where I said IF todd plays 4 years, its a bad thing? It clearly will mean he didnt develop the way we need him to if we want a final 4 talented team in two years.

Im pretty sure hes not going to grow from his junior-senior year at 24 years old. So again, why would he enter a draft at 24? LOL.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2012, 12:26:35 PM »
And did you completely miss where I said IF todd plays 4 years, its a bad thing? It clearly will mean he didnt develop the way we need him to if we want a final 4 talented team in two years.

Im pretty sure hes not going to grow from his junior-senior year at 24 years old. So again, why would he enter a draft at 24? LOL.

UNREALISTIC EXPECTATIONS ALERT!

And thats EXACTLY what everyone said about the Big Three. Seriously, we're already doing the "if we have him for 3-4 years?" This is silly, who was the last person to leave Marquette early for the NBA?

Jesus, and he's what 6'1? And not even a PG? Unless he becomes an utterly prolific scorer and puts the team on his back for a deep deep run, like ummm Kemba Walker (a PG btw) did, he isn't leaving early (there are only TWO rounds! and the 2nd one is the Euro draft). Is he Kemba? Maybe, but I'm not holding my breath.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 12:31:29 PM by Aughnanure »
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2012, 12:28:49 PM »
Wow, did you suffer a head injury today? TODD IS EXPECTED TO BE A STARTER BY NEXT YEAR. If he takes the normal strides with his age, with his family he is GONE. He will not wait til hes 24. Ya how is it working for Lazar? Good PT?

Wait, so Lazar would have been better off declaring after his junior year and not getting drafted at all, rather than getting drafted in the 1st round after his senior year?

Todd Mayo will leave when he thinks he has a legitimate chance of making a an NBA roster. Age doesn't matter that much. You don't leave a D1 program to go play in the D league just because you are 23. That's idiotic.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2012, 12:30:29 PM »

Prepare to be "floored"
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2012, 12:42:22 PM »
But imagine a starting lineup of Rivers, DJO, Blue, Crowder, Otule.  :o

As long as we're imagining Rivers coming to MU, I can imagine a healthy Otule.

Starting line up: Rivers, Rivers, Rivers, Rivers, Amal McCaskill.
I imagine cloning tools and time machines. 
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2012, 12:57:59 PM »
UNREALISTIC EXPECTATIONS ALERT!

And thats EXACTLY what everyone said about the Big Three. Seriously, we're already doing the "if we have him for 3-4 years?" This is silly, who was the last person to leave Marquette early for the NBA?

Jesus, and he's what 6'1? And not even a PG? Unless he becomes an utterly prolific scorer and puts the team on his back for a deep deep run, like ummm Kemba Walker (a PG btw) did, he isn't leaving early (there are only TWO rounds! and the 2nd one is the Euro draft). Is he Kemba? Maybe, but I'm not holding my breath.

Yup and of the Big 3. 1 is currently in the NBA and none were drafted, once again my point. Try Todd being 6'3 but whateaver made up heights you want to use, go ahead. Its clear you are just as lost. If he plays 4 years there is no chance he gets drafted, assuming he improves as a starter hes GONE. No arguing it, his brother is OJ Mayo he will take off and go for the money.

But LOL still cant believe there was a Kobe comparison. Dear god I thought id heard it all.