[May 13, 2024, 07:04:22 PM]

Ben Gold's summer by Pakuni
[May 13, 2024, 05:58:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Pakuni
[May 13, 2024, 04:51:05 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by tower912
[May 13, 2024, 04:33:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Is Reggie Smith a point guard?  (Read 8687 times)

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
Is Reggie Smith a point guard?
« on: July 22, 2010, 12:15:23 PM »
Posters speculating about the point guard position next year usually assume that Reggie Smith will be a point guard, and that he will backup Cadougan there.  Some also put Buycks in competition for that spot, and fewer still mention Blue (me included).

IMHO, the PG competition will be between Cadougan and Blue with Cadougan winning a close contest to start the season, but with Blue getting more and more time as the season goes on.

Anyway, back to Reggie.  I think that many are incorrectly pigeon holing him into the point guard position because of his height.  He primarily played SG in HS, although he got some opportunity to play the point in AAU (at least that's what I remember him saying in an interview shortly after he signed with MU).  I think that Buzz sees him as more of a change of pace guy causing havoc with his speed at SG, particularly when a taller player like Blue (or Buycks) is playing the point with Reggie guarding the other team's PG on defense.

The two players Reggie reminds me of from the past are Aaron Hutchins who may have been listed at PG but played more like a scoring guard, and the 5'11" guy that Crean got from EWill's old HS Cypress Springs.  I can't remember the guy's name, but he stayed a year before transferring to Wichita State.  He was a huge scorer in HS, but apparently wasn't making a successful switch to the point at MU.

I think that the fact that MU is definitely trying to get a top PG in this year's class supports this view of Reggie's potential role on the team.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

reinko

• All American
Re: Is Reggie Smith a point guard?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 12:17:31 PM »
PG Depth Chart for 2010-2011:

1: Cadagoun
2: Buycks

~Noticeable Dropoff~

3. Smith
4. Blue

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 12:23:04 PM »
Exceptionally nice use of the tilde, I must say.

Is the dropoff for Smith and Blue really so big that they only rate a period, rather than a semicolon like Cadougan and Buycks?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 12:26:00 PM by LittleMurs »

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 12:25:00 PM »
PG Depth Chart for 2010-2011:

1: Cadagoun
2: Buycks

~Noticeable Dropoff~

3. Smith
4. Blue

Agreed.  Blue turns the ball over too much.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 12:27:18 PM »

Okay, but what about Smith?  Is he really a point guard?

reinko

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 12:27:23 PM »
Exceptionally nice use of the tilde, I must say.

Is the dropoff for Smith and Blue really so big that they only rate a period, rather than a semicolon like Cadougan and Buycks?

Indeed.  I hope I won't need to edit this post because I thought of something more clever 18 seconds from now.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 12:29:28 PM »
Indeed.  I hope I won't need to edit this post because I thought of something more clever 18 seconds from now.

No need to worry, you won't, even if you take 18 minutes.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 12:35:18 PM »

Is this 2011?  Did I miss a season?  Blue hasn't played a minute and he is turning the ball over too much?  

We will just have to wait and see for your assessment on Reggie.  If he can handle the ball well, and pass, I want him at point.  From what I read, he is not much of a sharp shooter.  So I don't want him at shooting guard.  And his size is an issue, not only for defending a SG but for going against a SG on offense.  
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 12:40:26 PM »
The player from Cypress Springs I was thinking about was Karon Bradley who actually was at Marquette for two years before his transfer to Wichita State. 2001 to 2002 and 2002 to 2003.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 11:46:40 PM by LittleMurs »

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 12:42:13 PM »
Wouldn't the idea of playing Smith at the 2 guard only work with Blue on the floor due to his size?  I would not want to see Smith come in for DJO and end up with Smith and Junior in at the same time (unless we are playing a really short team).  Is the other player from EWill's high school Karon Bradley perhaps?

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 12:42:39 PM »
oh, you beat me to it  :)

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 12:47:33 PM »
I hope that Buycks can handle the ball this year.  Having a senior playing pg will be nice for us.  If Buzz can start the season with confidence in Cadougan and Buycks as returning players, it makes things that much easier.

If Blue and Smith do not need to be assigned a position/role right away because the experienced players have them, then Buzz can just let them develop into whatever suits them best in November and December.  MU has not had that kind of luxury in a while.  Maybe Smith will play the 2, but his size suggests pg at this level. 

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 12:55:42 PM »
The two players Reggie reminds me of from the past are Aaron Hutchins who may have been listed at PG but played more like a scoring guard, and the 5'11" guy that Crean got from EWill's old HS Cypress Springs.  I can't remember the guy's name, but he stayed a year before transferring to Wichita State.  He was a huge scorer in HS, but apparently wasn't making a successful switch to the point at MU.

I think that the fact that MU is definitely trying to get a top PG in this year's class supports this view of Reggie's potential role on the team.

Other than the fact that maybe Hutchins was a shoot first type point guard, and Karon Bradley was a 2 guard in a 1's body - don't see any resemblence to Smith and these players.  Reggie is FAR more athletic/explosive than Hutch or Bradley.  Personally, I feel Reggie will be the biggest surprise on the team this year.  LOVE his talent.  If Buzz can harness him slightly, but not take away his agressiveness - think he would be a GREAT point guard.  Is he a pure point guard - no..but I don't see that there is anything wrong with that.  I believe Reggie is possibly the most explosive athlete..maybe ever at MU - and more so than Dominic James..and that's saying a lot.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2010, 01:01:26 PM »
Other than the fact that maybe Hutchins was a shoot first type point guard, and Karon Bradley was a 2 guard in a 1's body - don't see any resemblence to Smith and these players.  Reggie is FAR more athletic/explosive than Hutch or Bradley.  Personally, I feel Reggie will be the biggest surprise on the team this year.  LOVE his talent.  If Buzz can harness him slightly, but not take away his agressiveness - think he would be a GREAT point guard.  Is he a pure point guard - no..but I don't see that there is anything wrong with that.  I believe Reggie is possibly the most explosive athlete..maybe ever at MU - and more so than Dominic James..and that's saying a lot.

MAYBE?  I think that Hutch was also a SG in a PG's body.  He could and did bring the ball up, but I don't think he really ran the offense.  I'm pretty sure that his recruiting didn't become competitive until the spring signing period because almost all the Div I programs saw him as a too short SG in the fall.

I agree with you on Smith's athleticism.  I'm pretty sure that he'll be the fastest player at MU in getting the ball up the court in transition, and he'll put a lot of pressure on the opposing team's defense that way.  But, I don't see him running a half court offense or creating shots for others.  I think his game will most resemble DJOs.  He's a great driver to the basket, and when he gets there his hops are unreal.  No problem dunking for this guy.  I hope that he's a good free throw shooter because I can see him getting to the line a lot.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 01:11:55 PM by LittleMurs »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2010, 01:06:58 PM »

So does Buycks.  He was a turnover machine last year.  We will see if he has fixed this problem when the season starts.  I wouldn't take too much stock in what you're seeing at the Pro-Am.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2010, 01:12:15 PM »
MAYBE?  I think that Hutch was also a SG in a PG's body.  He could and did bring the ball up, but I don't think he really ran the offense.  I'm pretty sure that his recruiting didn't become competitive until the spring signing period because almost all the Div I programs saw him as a too short SG in the fall.

Agree that Hutch was an SG in a PG's body - but he was recruited as a point.  He was also Ohio state player of the year (about 95% sure of this), and believe he was a highly regarded recruit...though I don't know when his recruiting became "competitive."  He was a good dude too - a nice guy..pretty down to earth...I had some fun with he and Zack McCall while on campus
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2010, 01:23:14 PM »
I think that the biggest surprise regarding Smith next year will be blocked shots.  I can see him ranking as high as third on the team in blocks (per 40 minutes played) on next year's team.  When he does guard taller players which will be most of the time,  I think that when they try to shoot over him, they will find it much harder than they expected.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2010, 01:32:00 PM »
So does Buycks.  He was a turnover machine last year.  We will see if he has fixed this problem when the season starts.  I wouldn't take too much stock in what you're seeing at the Pro-Am.

Except that its very impressive that the USA coaches decided to start Vander at point guard over Kyrie Irving.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2010, 01:35:38 PM »
I think that the biggest surprise regarding Smith next year will be blocked shots.  I can see him ranking as high as third on the team in blocks (per 40 minutes played) on next year's team.  When he does guard taller players which will be most of the time,  I think that when they try to shoot over him, they will find it much harder than they expected.

Two things...
One, how effect was james at blocking shots?  
Two, you mentioned that you don't see Smith creating shots for others.  That's why we pay a coach tons of money.  If Smith doesn't create shots for others well, even though he can break down the defense and create fast breaks, Buzz better teach him.  Plus, it would be an incredible injustice for Smith.  I am sure he has some aspirations to go to the next level and so he should learn to play the point.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2010, 01:36:30 PM »
Except that its very impressive that the USA coaches decided to start Vander at point guard over Kyrie Irving.
Agreed.  I was just speaking about Buycks.  Last year he was as careless with the ball as Jerel McNeal.  To say Blue turns it over too much without having seen what he can do in college basketball while saying Buycks is the 2nd best option at PG is interesting.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2010, 01:39:49 PM »
Cadougan is the perfect point guard for a half court offense. He is an excellent passer and handles the ball well. Smith is a point guard for a fast break offense. Although at this point he is not as good of a shooter, he plays like Kyrie Irving of Duke, who is another blazing shoot first point guard. Cadougan is more like Gady of Washington. If you watched the 17 and under US team, that Blue was on, the team was very good offensively when Irving was pushing the ball. The team seemed to bog down when Gady was in. Now part of the reason may have been that Gady was often in with the second string. The point guard's job is to get the offense in gear by either pushing the ball up court or passing it in the half court game. With all the scoring potential MU now has should they be a half court team or should they look for the quick score. The quick score heavily favors Smith. A half court game heavily favors Cadougan. The other thing I noticed about Smith at the pro am is he is very quick to get to loose balls. Based on last year's offense MU relied heavily on every player passing the ball vs Crean's teams where the point guard controlled the ball. Right now I am not sure if Buzz is a point guard dominated coach. Crean certainly was with is 100 to 200 different plays. Cadougan is stronger which will help him on defense, but Smith is quicker which will also help him on defense. It probably really comes down to turnovers, I am pretty sure Buzz has a low tolerance for them.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2010, 01:41:10 PM »

Except they didn't.  Vander wasn't a PG on the FIBA team.  He played off the ball the entire time, often as the third guard with Irving and Rivers.  

For all this talk about Reggie not being a PG...Vander isn't one yet either.  He may want to play there, but it's not something he's done a ton of prior to college.  

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2010, 01:44:16 PM »
Agree that Hutch was an SG in a PG's body - but he was recruited as a point.  He was also Ohio state player of the year (about 95% sure of this), and believe he was a highly regarded recruit...though I don't know when his recruiting became "competitive."  He was a good dude too - a nice guy..pretty down to earth...I had some fun with he and Zack McCall while on campus

I don't know where you guys are getting the idea that Hutch wasn't a pg or didn't run the team.  Yes he scored a lot but he drove to set up others and did all the things I'd expect a pg to do.  In the two full years he actually played (before getting into it with Deane) he averaged 6+ assists per game.  I'd call that a point guard.  Diener scored a lot too and you wouldn't call him a shooting guard in a point guard body.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2010, 01:49:35 PM »
When Buzz was asked about the point guard position, he mentioned Junior and then Reggie as the back up.  Blue will see very little if anytime as point guard this year.  Buycks will see more time at point than Blue this year.   

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2010, 01:53:37 PM »
Would much rather bank on the experience of Cadougan and Buycks than try to rely too much on the incoming freshmen like Vander and Reggie.  I think Junior gets the bulk of the minutes, perhaps Reggie gets some bench minutes, but come crunch time, I'd rather have Cadougan/Buycks handling the point.  Let Vander develop at the 2 without having to worry too much about distributing the ball, turnovers, etc.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2010, 02:00:11 PM »

Ummm...no.  Hutch was already signed with MU in the fall period, and by that point he'd already established himself as a Top 100 recruit, the best player in Ohio, and a PG.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2010, 02:08:53 PM »
I hope that Buycks can handle the ball this year.  Having a senior playing pg will be nice for us.  If Buzz can start the season with confidence in Cadougan and Buycks as returning players, it makes things that much easier.

If Blue and Smith do not need to be assigned a position/role right away because the experienced players have them, then Buzz can just let them develop into whatever suits them best in November and December.  MU has not had that kind of luxury in a while.  Maybe Smith will play the 2, but his size suggests pg at this level. 
Bucyks at the Point would be like NcNeal at the point--turnover city. He would be picked every time he starts a spin move. That would be a huge mistake.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2010, 02:23:02 PM »
Totaly agree, I like Buycks a lot but not at PG

LA

• Starter
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2010, 02:36:14 PM »
The player from Cypress springs I was thinking about was Karon Bradley who actually was at Marquette for two years before his transfer to Wichita State. 2001 to 2002 and 2002 to 2003.

Bradley was actually at MU 2002-2003 and 2003-2004. We definitely could have used him after Diener went down that next year.

I think Reggie will be a point guard but it will definitely take time for him to learn the position. I see him getting relief minutes for Junior this year, but he could be a good point guard a few years down the road.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2010, 02:41:19 PM »
Bucyks at the Point would be like NcNeal at the point--turnover city. He would be picked every time he starts a spin move. That would be a huge mistake.

Agreed.  I think the McNeal-Buycks comparison will hold.  There was a lot of speed and it seemed out of control.  I hope by the end of the season we can compare Buycks Senior year to McNeal's Junior/Senior year favorably.  From percentages and efficiency, I don't see him getting near 30 minutes per game.

Might be interesting to look at following the season.
http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/compare?add=jerel-mcneal&i=1&p1=dwight-buycks

Edit:  But I don't see Buycks at the point. 
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 03:07:06 PM by T-Bone »
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2010, 03:01:52 PM »
Why is Smith too short to play the 2? What did the Cubillionaire just do all last season? And Smith is a significant upgrade athletically. Whether he can bring the hustle, ball control and 3pt shooting DC did is another thing, but his height is not a deterrent with the speed and quickness he possesses.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2010, 11:49:35 PM »
Ummm...no.  Hutch was already signed with MU in the fall period, and by that point he'd already established himself as a Top 100 recruit, the best player in Ohio, and a PG.

I may be wrong, especially considering whose version I'm disputing, but this is my recollection. In the fall, Hutch was not signed, nor was he generally ranked as a top 150 player.  O'Neill was on him soon after the fall signing period, and in the spring his ranking had raised considerablely based on his senior year performance, being know as the best player in Ohio, etc., but he never quite cracked the top 100,  He stayed just outside, similar to Reggie hovering around 105.  But, teams that were looking for a point guard in the spring tried hard to get in on him, but O'Neill landed him due to his earlier interest and need for a PG.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2010, 06:33:52 AM »
I think I'd go with bma on this  one.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2010, 07:26:03 AM »
Yep.  bma's description is how I remember it as well.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2010, 07:42:22 AM »
I may be wrong, especially considering whose version I'm disputing, but this is my recollection. In the fall, Hutch was not signed, nor was he generally ranked as a top 150 player.  O'Neill was on him soon after the fall signing period, and in the spring his ranking had raised considerablely based on his senior year performance, being know as the best player in Ohio, etc., but he never quite cracked the top 100,  He stayed just outside, similar to Reggie hovering around 105.  But, teams that were looking for a point guard in the spring tried hard to get in on him, but O'Neill landed him due to his earlier interest and need for a PG.

You're wrong on basically every single thing you recall about Hutch and his recruiting:

• Hutch committed to MU on September 21st 1993, and signed a letter of intent in November.  He was not a spring recruit at all.
  • Hutch's recruiting took off the summer before his senior year due to his play at a few different AAU tournaments and the famed the Five Star Camp in Pittsburgh.  He outplayed most of the name point guards in the class and that's what started getting him national attention.
  • Hutch was ranked in the Top 100 well before signing with MU because of his play at those camps.  Bob Gibbons had him at #72, Dave Kaplan had him at #50, etc. 
  • Hutch's ranking actually fell after his senior year.  He stayed in the Top 100, but ended up in the 80s.

APieperFan3

• Team Captain
  • We Are Marquette
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2010, 08:15:31 AM »
Yep.  bma's description is how I remember it as well.

Because it's correct.
The "average fan" is an idiot.

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2010, 08:53:05 AM »
Buycks can still get lots of assists as a SG as can Blue.

I know its summer, but people are spending too much time pigeonholing people into a position.  Always remember that Buzz wants athletic basketball players who can dribble, pass and shoot so he has plenty of interchangeable parts to create mismatches or overcome mismatches imposed upon MU.

I suspect that any player who is not a 4 or 5 could find themselves in the "point guard" position at any point during a game....to include Jimmy Butler.

The great thing about all the players available is that Buzz won't have to play any one of them 38 minutes a game unless most of them completely flop.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2010, 09:33:17 AM »
Would much rather bank on the experience of Cadougan and Buycks than try to rely too much on the incoming freshmen like Vander and Reggie.  I think Junior gets the bulk of the minutes, perhaps Reggie gets some bench minutes, but come crunch time, I'd rather have Cadougan/Buycks handling the point.  Let Vander develop at the 2 without having to worry too much about distributing the ball, turnovers, etc.

+1.  I think this is exaclty what we will see - Junior starting at point, with Buycks as a back up, an d Smith in when we have a cushion.  The ball in the hands of experience will be mroe valuable to Buzz I think.  That said, Buzz will not tolerate much int he way of turnovers - that could kill a game easily. 

d6

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2010, 09:48:41 AM »
Hutchins holding his own (winning the matchup?) against Steve Nash and beating newly ranked Santa Clara at one of the few regular season games at the Mecca when I was an undergrad. Great game to attend.....

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2010, 10:30:37 AM »
Buycks can still get lots of assists as a SG as can Blue.

I know its summer, but people are spending too much time pigeonholing people into a position.  Always remember that Buzz wants athletic basketball players who can dribble, pass and shoot so he has plenty of interchangeable parts to create mismatches or overcome mismatches imposed upon MU.

I agree with you regarding pigeonholing....with the exception of point guard.

My understanding of Buzz is that he wants an identified point guard on the floor.  That is why Acker's return was so important last year considering Junior's injury.  That is why figuring out who will be point is so important.  (I personally think Junior and Buycks will start this year, with Junior running the point and Buycks taking it over when Junior subs out.  When Smith or Blue are on the floor, it will be as an off guard.)

Outside of that, it is basically the best four he can put on the floor.  (Balanced for size, defense, etc.)  So yeah...positions 2 through 5 really don't mean anything.

wadefan#1

• Starter
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2010, 10:35:15 AM »
I think that DJO could be are point guard if JC doesn't perform. Let's not forget that DJO went to a Chris Paul camp for point guards.

MUUWUWM

• All American
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2010, 12:37:00 PM »
I'll give my 2 cents worth. Blue is nowhere near being a point at this time, he can develop but not now...DB is better at this time.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2010, 02:21:31 PM »

The one perspective I haven't seen yet is the importance of court vision and playmaking versus speed & athleticism.

If it were easy to train a quick or athletic player to become a great PG, you'd see a lot more teams/coaches doing it.  I think the more challenging characteristic is the ability to mentally manage 9 other players on the court, know where they're likely to go, and be able to get the ball to your man when he's open to shoot.

If it were easy to do that, outstanding point guards would truly be a dime a dozen.  :D

Guys like Travis Diener or Steve Nash or Tony Miller become effective points not because of their physical skills, but because they can process all the moving parts and get the ball where it needs to be at the exact moment it needs to be there.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2010, 09:28:57 PM »
You're wrong on basically every single thing you recall about Hutch and his recruiting:

• Hutch committed to MU on September 21st 1993, and signed a letter of intent in November.  He was not a spring recruit at all.
  • Hutch's recruiting took off the summer before his senior year due to his play at a few different AAU tournaments and the famed the Five Star Camp in Pittsburgh.  He outplayed most of the name point guards in the class and that's what started getting him national attention.
  • Hutch was ranked in the Top 100 well before signing with MU because of his play at those camps.  Bob Gibbons had him at #72, Dave Kaplan had him at #50, etc.  
  • Hutch's ranking actually fell after his senior year.  He stayed in the Top 100, but ended up in the 80s.

Now wait a minute, I got the head coach at the time he was recruited right.

Sometimes the only way to figure out how far off base you are is to throw your recollection out there, and watch it get squashed.  Thanks for the memory adjustment bma725, I promise not to abuse the privilege.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 09:34:10 PM by LittleMurs »

syscokid

• Walk-On
  • Bo Cryan
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2010, 10:06:13 PM »
My 2 cents is this. I have been to the pro-am 3 times. Every time I go, my #1 guy to watch is reggie smith. I saw him on the first day of camp and was blown away. he can play both the point and the 2. an earlier post said he may be the best athlete MU has seen in a long long time. i agree! he is almost iverson quick. has springs for legs, and handles the ball very well already. he may be the most unheralded of our frosh this year, but may be the best in this class. for what it's worth, vander has not impressed me yet.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2010, 10:31:20 PM »
+1

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2010, 11:03:31 PM »
My 2 cents is this. I have been to the pro-am 3 times. Every time I go, my #1 guy to watch is reggie smith. I saw him on the first day of camp and was blown away. he can play both the point and the 2. an earlier post said he may be the best athlete MU has seen in a long long time. i agree! he is almost iverson quick. has springs for legs, and handles the ball very well already. he may be the most unheralded of our frosh this year, but may be the best in this class. for what it's worth, vander has not impressed me yet.

+1 - Freak athleticism has a way of making a player, a big time player...give me a guy who can break someone down off the dribble everytime..over a guy who is challenged breaking down a defense off the dribble.  Diener and Tony Miller weren't exactly the best at breaking guys down off the dribble..but they did have a very good sense of the floor/spacing/passing angles, etc..to be effective.  Now, combine this trait with a freak athlete, and you have a Dwyane Wade type of player.  If Reggie can eventually see the floor like Wade did...off the charts future..even though he is only 6'0"

feedback